Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2826600 - 07/25/09 03:13 PM Microsoft capitulates to EU.  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/20...wser-ballot.ars

Quote:
Microsoft has decided that the last thing it needs in this economy is some combination of the following: fines, legal bills, and a delay of Windows 7. It has offered to adopt the European Union's preferred solution for bowser competition: a browser selector screen at startup.

And now begins the argument of which browsers are going to be eligible for selection. duh

©2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2826626 - 07/25/09 03:38 PM Re: Microsoft capitulates to EU. [Re: Desert Eagle]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Does the EU also mandate what browsers must be packed in? Or does MS have to choose which, then see if their choices meet with EU approval?

And I can only guess that MS will not be required to provide any technical support for the third party software the EU forces them to bundle.

Finally... what about Apple?!

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#2826635 - 07/25/09 03:49 PM Re: Microsoft capitulates to EU. [Re: adlabs6]  
El Hefe Offline
El Hefe  Offline

IE-Firefox-Opera-Chrome

but with a fine print that they only provide support for IE because that's their software and the rest are third party and you are on your own if they give you problems, shouldn't be too hard.

#2826636 - 07/25/09 03:49 PM Re: Microsoft capitulates to EU. [Re: adlabs6]  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

Dont feed the troll adlabs! ;-)

#2826642 - 07/25/09 04:03 PM Re: Microsoft capitulates to EU. [Re: PositiveG]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Well I ask about the support aspect, since I thought I recalled reading in the last couple months that the EU was also discussing regulation of software 'performance' or 'suitability to task'... something like that. Essentially that if a company delivered some software that it had to meet performance expectations.

If third party software is legislated into the MS retail boxes by the EU, who is responsible for meeting these performance mandates? The software was delivered in a MS package, so it's worth considering.

Secondly, I don't know how the EU was considering governing 'expectation' guidelines for free software, or the technical support each provides. Opera is free, but charges a fee for premium support. Firefox support, last I recall was just web based.

It just seems like the EU browser arrangement might leave MS customers facing uneven technical support for the software that came in the retail box... a retail box which has always promised uniform technical support! Or worst case, force MS customers to face third party technical support charges for software that was legislated into the retail box, supposedly for their own benefit.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#2826653 - 07/25/09 04:12 PM Re: Microsoft capitulates to EU. [Re: adlabs6]  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

The technology / Hardware AND software forum might be a better spot for this one.

Anyhow, I think they should have stuck to their guns and NOT included ANY browser.
Would have served them right, not sure how the EU could fight that to be honest.

Simply have Google/FireFox/etc. provide a FTP script/short-cut for M$ to include, maybe list this in a readme file or small print out in the software packaging. So people could download whatever freakin' browser they want the old fashion way.

Generation free and the M$ haters want their freebees though, so go download Linux and shut up.

People complain about M$'s so called monopoly, yet we're now giving Google a more important one in my opinion, yet you hear nothing from the EU in the major media on that.
BING.COM it on.

#2826757 - 07/25/09 08:23 PM Re: Microsoft capitulates to EU. [Re: PositiveG]  
Vulgarity Offline
Vulgarity  Offline

This whole stupid debacle is all about Europe holding it's nose in the air with a "We are superior, and you need to be corrected" attitude of anti US snobbery.

I fully understand the concept of "You want to sell your product here you will meet our requirements" - the USA is probably the KING of that.

But the US does that with things like safety requirements, not nitpicking little crap like this just for the sake of nitpicking.

This entire Euro-farce is groundless, stupid, petty, non-constructive, anal, and useless - except to satisfy some snotty little collective Euro attitude of "We told you so" that exists among some over there.

#2826762 - 07/25/09 08:33 PM Re: Microsoft capitulates to EU. [Re: Vulgarity]  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

I wouldn't go that far .. they have their laws, but complaining about NOT including a browser?
Sounds like they want their cake and eat it too.

#2826798 - 07/25/09 09:51 PM Re: Microsoft capitulates to EU. [Re: PositiveG]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Basically it boils down to some, apparently extremely bored, "apparatchiks" within the EU commission, which itself is infamous for drafting braindead (albeit "well meaning") directives and regulations (like a norm for imported Bananas, regulation No. 2257/94). Unless the European nations - and particularly the voting public - get their collective act together and draft a European constitution that drastically strengthens the representative legislative body (EU parliament) and weakens the executive (commission), we will have to continue living with their over-regulative crap.

And Vulgarity, you're being difficult again. wink

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#2826809 - 07/25/09 10:12 PM Re: Microsoft capitulates to EU. [Re: Jayhawk]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
And Vulgarity, you're being difficult again. wink

That's probably the most polite comment I've read on this forum in a VERY long time.

hahaha

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#2826826 - 07/25/09 10:49 PM Re: Microsoft capitulates to EU. [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Lets just get one thing straight: There are few suitable words to describe the overwhelming c*#tishness of European bureaucrats.

#2826902 - 07/26/09 12:57 AM Re: Microsoft capitulates to EU. [Re: Brun]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Hmmm, anti-US sentiment is only a minor player.

For those familiar with sausages, there's a little song that goes with all bodies of government, regardless of nationality/supra-nationality:

My commission has a first name, it's
G.I.M.M.E.,
My commission has a second name, it's
M.O.N.E.Y.....

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2827290 - 07/26/09 05:51 PM Re: Microsoft capitulates to EU. [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: Dart
Hmmm, anti-US sentiment is only a minor player.

For those familiar with sausages, there's a little song that goes with all bodies of government, regardless of nationality/supra-nationality:

My commission has a first name, it's
G.I.M.M.E.,
My commission has a second name, it's
M.O.N.E.Y.....

rofl
I know the song...

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.