Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2816797 - 07/13/09 11:51 AM Any iPhone users here?  
Li'lJugs Offline
Hotshot
Li'lJugs  Offline
Hotshot

St. Cloud MN USA
Finally eligible for a phone upgrade, and thinking about an iPhone. Right now I have a Samsung 737, I think it is. Nice, basic, internet capable phone, but kind of clunky to use for texting and doing the net.

Do you like your iPhone, and how many gigs does yours have? Do I need 32 gigs?

Thanks for any replies.

Hi, I'm Larry and this my brother Dayrle, and this is my other brother Dayrle.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2816845 - 07/13/09 01:08 PM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Magnum should be along soon to pipe in about his new Iphone upgrade. Sure wish they offered the service here. I have a 32gb Ipod Touch and love it. I guess my Samsung Hue 2 will work fine for phone calls.

I use the touch everywhere I go for internet and email though. Amazing how hotspots have spread across
this country. Every place we stopped to eat on vacation to Michigan had WiFi.

32gb, I have mine so packed with videos and pictures and Apps I only have 1.3gb left.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#2816857 - 07/13/09 01:23 PM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: JimK]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
I love my iPhone... and always upgrade to the newest and biggest, and baddest version... even against my wifes wishes... lol...

You do not need the biggest and baddest, currently the 32 GB version... you can settle for the 8 or 16 GB, which cuts the price considerablely...

Why do I love my NEW iPhone, not saying other phones could or couldn't do the same thing but:

1. Mail, and internet just like you would see it on a desktop...but smaller... and you can zoom in and out.

2. My music anywhere, my family videos anywhere, my complete picture collection... and now includes a camera and video camera with editing software and immediate send to e-mail or upload to youtude.

3. New with the new version, voice control... works great... hold one button for 2 seconds... "call sylvia home" and it does, "call melissa mobile" and it does, "play sounds from Black Label Society" and it does... etc etc.. .along with voice memos and recordings of complete calls and meetings etc etc.

4. default apps that sync with my PC, both work pc, home pc, lap pc... whatever i want... schedule, calender, compass, GPS, maps, resturants... tons more.

5. Finally, free and bought apps... like the complete US Constitution, laws, military information...USMJ codes, etc etc, sport reports live and updated, you tube (thats actually a default one), and games... great fun time waster games like "real racing", Tiger Woods Golf,DOOM, then easy ones like poker, strip poker, card games..etc etc...

Just look at some of the gameplay footage... like real racing which is FANTASTIC:
http://wireless.ign.com/

OK... whats my biggest complaint about the iPhone... multitasking, well the lack of... They sell these GREAT fitness apps that measure your steps when you walk, log the food you eat...track your calories etc etc... but if you have any of those apps running, you can listen to your music or anything else... lack of multi-tasking, more then one app running at a time, is the biggest weakness of the iPhone... IMO.

#2816948 - 07/13/09 02:41 PM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Magnum]  
ripper998 Offline
ripper998  Offline

San Antonio, Tx
love my 3G. Worth the $99 bucks it is. Once you start to use your iPhone, you wonder how you ever got around without it. I use the GPS almost everyday to find places to eat, directions, and information.

#2817273 - 07/13/09 09:17 PM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: ripper998]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
The 3Gs is pretty bad-a$$. I may upgrade my wife's 3G to that soon. Then I can have her 3G (I'll only use it for apps and the ipod function, no phone service). I have her old iphone MkI now.

-Skater

"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#2817288 - 07/13/09 09:48 PM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Skater]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
I have a 32GB Touch I picked up used off of Craigslist. Love it. If you got the money, get the large one.

I have so many documentaries and audio books on it....It is great.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#2817293 - 07/13/09 09:58 PM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Timothy]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Well, I am a Mac man through and through. Used macs for years for my work ever since the little IIc at art college and always wanted an iPhone (still in an 18 month contract with my Nokia N95 8Gb) but since I bought an iPod Touch I really don't want one. More because of the expensive contract, and I am trying to cut back on expenses like that, but also because there are many phones out there that do everything the iPhone does and so, so much more.

It is laughable they release this version as the 'S' version and it has apps that it should have had years ago. BUT it IS an Apple iPhone and it's bragging rights outweigh it's lacking features if you can afford it... I would if it came with a decent contract but in the UK it doesn't (o2) so I am steering myself away from it and being sensible smile

Can you hear the conflict in this post? lol

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#2817347 - 07/13/09 11:09 PM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Mace71]  
Vulgarity Offline
Vulgarity  Offline

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
since I bought an iPod Touch I really don't want one. More because of the expensive contract, and I am trying to cut back on expenses like that, but also because there are many phones out there that do everything the iPhone does and so, so much more.

I'm seriously considering getting an iPod Touch for the same reasons - great device, but I simply don't do cell phone contracts.

Another reason for me - I don't like the concept of my portable media device running from the same battery as my phone. Someday when battery tech is better I'll be okay with it, but it's just not ready for primetime yet, not for me.

Now if there was an iPhone with some kind of supplemental battery pack input jack (or even user swappable batteries), and without a traditional cellphone contract I'd be all over it!

#2817555 - 07/14/09 04:42 AM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Vulgarity]  
ForSquirrels Offline
Veteran
ForSquirrels  Offline
Veteran

I got a 16GB 3G back in December when my last phone died. I like it, it is nice having something on hand that gets internet anywhere I get a cell signal. The downside is that I don't have 3G in the area from AT&T yet (supposedly in the next 2-3 months though) but if it is available it is nice. I just got back from northern Virginia where 3G is everywhere and the speed increase in the internet is like going from dial-up to broadband. The only thing that I noticed is that my battery drained about 3 times as fast, although I may have been using the phone more for data than usual too. I think the 3Gs battery is supposed to have longer battery life, however my iphone recharges incredibly fast. Just don't forget that you have to sign up for the data plan when you get your phone, which is an extra $30-$40 a month (I can't remember exactly which it is). Even with the smallest minute plan and then adding in text messaging on top my average bill after taxes was right around $100 a month. Luckily I got that cut in about half by hopping onto my parents family plan last month.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

XBL: fmdckr81
#2817586 - 07/14/09 05:52 AM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: ForSquirrels]  
Zero Niner Offline
Zero Niner  Offline

Singapore
Unfortunately I'm tied into a cell phone contract with a good way to go before it lapses. However when my Palm died a few months ago I bought an iPod Touch. Based on this, I intend to get an iPhone, the 3Gs was just released here. Unfortunately it's exclusively by a rival service provider, so I may have to spring big bucks to get one without a contract.

Last edited by Zero Niner; 07/14/09 05:55 AM.
#2819220 - 07/15/09 10:03 PM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Zero Niner]  
Li'lJugs Offline
Hotshot
Li'lJugs  Offline
Hotshot

St. Cloud MN USA
Thanks for the answers, guys! I should have mentioned, maybe, that I already have ATT with an unlimited data provision, and my bill averages around $90 a month, anyway. So the cost of the required contract shouldn't hurt too bad.

I can get the 8, 16, or 32 GB models for 100, 200, or 300, respectively. Are these good prices?

Hi, I'm Larry and this my brother Dayrle, and this is my other brother Dayrle.
#2819234 - 07/15/09 10:19 PM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Speedo Offline
Hotshot
Speedo  Offline
Hotshot

NC USA
If you're getting a new iPhone now I would definetly get a 3Gs model rather than one of the older ones. Considerably faster/more powerful. I think the 16GB version of it is $200.

#2819520 - 07/16/09 07:37 AM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Speedo]  
JCathcart Offline
JCathcart  Offline

Utah
I've had an iPhone since Day 1. Prior to my assimilation, I would buy a new smartphone every 6-9 months. That stopped when I got this puppy. I have the 3G (2nd Generation for you initiates), and it is amazing. The app store is an addiction because there are so many cool things this phone can do, and the apps are only .99 - 10.00 for the most part. Compare that to the old Handango days when buying a new app for my iPaq or Palm cost 20-30 bucks.

These are great days indeed!

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." -- Ephesians 6: 12-13 KJV
#2822151 - 07/19/09 06:58 PM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Zero Niner]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Love my Black 32GB 3GS. Never leave home without it, never walk around the house without it. It is really that awesome. Coming from Windows Mobile, the lack of multitasking is a little annoying, but it doesn't affect me as much as I thought it would. 3GS battery life is much better - done some comparisons with other people at work. Gets me though the day even when I play music throughout - surf a bunch on my 30 min train commute - and have it pinging google's mail server every 15 min throughout the day.

I didn't think that I would like this phone *that* much. I knew it was going to be useful, but not *that* useful. "There's an App for that". Yes, there really is. Really.

Having the compass combined with maps is fantastic. GPS is really good. Last night I was in the parking lot of Starbucks and looked at the map because I was trying to find the best way out of the parking lot - I'm new in this town. It actually pinpointed me to the exact parking space I was standing in. Only difference was that is showed me near the back of the car when I was actually by the driver door. Creepy thing was in the satellite view the car was black too. smile It's not always that accurate - but still, wow.

Makes my commute so much more enjoyable. Get Google Reader and never run out of stuff to read.

However, we Canadians are missing some stuff. Can't do the Amazon Kindle thing which annoys me. I love ebooks and I was hoping to be able to do Kindle. But it knows I'm Canadian. That sort of sucks. Come on Amazon - get with the frigging program!

Corsair8X

virtually making history 30mm at a time
#2822552 - 07/20/09 08:03 AM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Corsair8X]  
Softball Offline
Softball  Offline

San Diego, CA, USA
I've had the 3G iPhone for about 9 months now, and I absolutely LOVE it! I used to get a new cell phone every 6 to 9 months due to newer technology and better phones. Now, I will never get another cell phone other than an iPhone. It does just about everything you could ever want in a cell phone/mobile computer. I can watch live baseball games, connect to a web cam in my home, check email instantly, send emails, etc...

You will not be dissapointed as far as what the iPhone is and can do. Just be sure that the ATT service will work in your area and you will be in technology hog heaven. I will get a 3Gs when and if I lose, break, or can sell my 3G. I have another year to go until I am eligible for an upgrade, but I can wait; the 3G is a great phone / mobile device.

I think you can make your choice based on what myself and others have said here, the iPhone is the Bees Knees of cell phones.

--SOFTBALL
--RLGaming Portal

"The tragedy of war is that it uses man's best to do man's worst." - Harry Emerson Fosdick 1933
#2823019 - 07/20/09 08:38 PM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Softball]  
Lucky Offline
Old Guy
Lucky  Offline
Old Guy

Upstate N.Y.
I've been wanting an iPhone for quite a while now. Just placed an order for a 32GB 3GS in black.

Last edited by Lucky; 07/20/09 08:38 PM.

Core i9 10900k @ 5.0GHz
Corsair H115i CPU cooler
Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 OC 8GB DDR6
32GB Team T-Force Night Hawk DDR4 3200,
Corsair HX850i 850W PSU
TIR5 With Trackclip Pro
Win 10 x64
#2823167 - 07/21/09 12:39 AM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Lucky]  
Zero Niner Offline
Zero Niner  Offline

Singapore
Can anyone share how the calendar function on the iPhone is like? I'm using an iPod Touch as a PDA ever since my Palm Tungsten died. The calendar app on the iPod is rather basic.

#2823245 - 07/21/09 02:50 AM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Zero Niner]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
If I recall, the calendar is the same in the iPod Touch. And yes, it is basic. I leverage it with Google calendar and I also bought another awesome app for calendar stuff called Pocket Informant which was very big on my old Windows Mobile unit.

I don't think there have been any changes to calendar throughout the iPhone's development life.

Corsair8X

virtually making history 30mm at a time
#2823302 - 07/21/09 04:19 AM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Corsair8X]  
Zero Niner Offline
Zero Niner  Offline

Singapore
Google calendar - is it an app? Or a Google app that you access with the web browser on your phone?

#2823443 - 07/21/09 10:18 AM Re: Any iPhone users here? [Re: Zero Niner]  
Guderian Offline
Hotshot
Guderian  Offline
Hotshot

People's Republic of Sweden
How is the touchscreen keyboard working for you? I want to get an iPhone, but I have fairly big hands so typing on the screen seems a bit difficult.

"I prefer to fly alone ... when alone, I perform those little coups of audacity which amuse me" - René Fonck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.