Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2818707 - 07/15/09 10:07 AM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: Cas141]  
Rama Offline
Rama  Offline

Toulouse France
Originally Posted By: Cas141

But you won't be playing ROF if Neoqb goes the way of " you know, the studio that developed the FS serie..."

Speculations... you don't know (as I don't either) what will happen "if", and what would be neoqb's decisions and actions "if".

In any case, it doesn't change the fact that neoqb needs some incomes to continue the dev of the sim.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2818736 - 07/15/09 10:52 AM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: Rama]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Sunchaser has a point. Whenever somone says something negative about RoF, the next we hear is

A) NeoQB is a small studio without the funds to do what critics expected them to do

B) If enough people do not buy the game "as is", it will not be developed further and everyone is left holding a lemon.

I'd like to see how a Microsoft sim with such a meager campaign and no quick single mission tool would have been received.

#2818754 - 07/15/09 12:04 PM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Rama Offline
Rama  Offline

Toulouse France
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Sunchaser has a point.

Check previous answers...

#2818771 - 07/15/09 12:30 PM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: Rama]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
Hello,
i guess most people don't give a damn what kind of company produces a sim as long as they like it. I do not see a point in NOT buying MS FSX because i do not especially love MS (the software company, not the disease ahem). So do YOU give your money only to small, starving companies ? I guess you buy it for fun ..
And remember the FS development team was thrown out by MS, MS itself is still doing well. So let's just hope NeoQB does not throw out the RoF development team. Because with this online requirement, there'd be bad days ahead .. he HAS a point here.

Greetings,
Catfish

#2818791 - 07/15/09 12:51 PM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: Catfish]  
FiveDigits Offline
The Grim Squeaker
FiveDigits  Offline
The Grim Squeaker

Germany
There is no technical limitation that would prevent Neoqb to lift the login requirement in a last patch before switching off the lights. No need to panic. ... he has NO point.

#2818806 - 07/15/09 01:02 PM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: FiveDigits]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
If a company goes bust, who supplies the money and time to remove a core part of the game design from an already sold game? At least according to some here (Freycinet...), it is impossible to run RoF offline for technical design reasons, which is why he claims it can't be cracked and it can't be removed since too much of the game is tied to the online connection.

Now personally, I think it's about as complicated as a CD-Check and will be cracked soon enough, but what if the fans are right? What if RoF can't work without it's server? Who's gonna fund the rewrite of such in-depth code if the team goes belly up?

Also, from a financial point of view, would a dieing company not try to sell as many copies as possible while it goes down, maybe rather shut down servers one by one and try to limit operational costs (which would lead to increased outages) instead of removing the only copy protection from it's game?

#2818821 - 07/15/09 01:21 PM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
What if the space lobsters of doom take over the world and eat us all alive?

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#2818826 - 07/15/09 01:28 PM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
Well Para_Bellum, if they do I guess this topic, among others, would be moot, right?

#2818880 - 07/15/09 02:46 PM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: Sunchaser]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
So, Sunchaser, what you're saying is that I shouldn't have bought the sim because it has corporate backing (which anyone would have figured they did, as they worked on the sim for over a year without any inflow of cash from the product)?

I don't get the point of your thread, to be honest.

Is it just a slag at Neoqb, a slag at folks who actually bought and enjoy the sim, or a random idea that woke you up at night and had to make the forums?

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2818895 - 07/15/09 03:08 PM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: Sunchaser]  
wombat778 Offline
wombat778  Offline

Originally Posted By: Sunchaser
Look, no one called anyone crooks, I just posted info gathered from the link on the ROF homepage that may indicate that ROF is possibly not the poor stepchild of the flightsim world as put forth by some supporters as a reason to buy their stuff.

Umm, no, you posted nothing of the sort. Your post is very misleading in that it suggests that Neoqb is owned by those other companies, when in fact the website clearly says that they are CLIENTS of neoqb. It may come as a surprise to you if you have never been in business, but many many small companies occasionally do business with very large ones. I personally have worked at tiny companies (a few employees) that have done business with multibillion dollar companies. Of course, the work itself was generally only for tiny projects for a few hundred dollars, but thereafter they were a "client".

This does NOT IN ANY WAY suggest that the client has any financial stake in neoqb or is backing them up in any way. Does a tiny corner shop suddenly become a big company because it once sold a candy bar to the CEO of a big company? I think not. You really should edit your post to make clear that those large companies you posted are just clients of neoqb, not neoqb itself.

Last edited by wombat778; 07/15/09 03:10 PM.
#2818919 - 07/15/09 03:26 PM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: wombat778]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Why would he want to edit his posting, it goes against his agenda...

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#2818925 - 07/15/09 03:34 PM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: Sunchaser]  
=FB=VikS Offline
=FB=VikS  Offline

Ghmm, its weird how things are turned in minds sometimes smile

As a fact - we where (to be correct - one of our GFX guys) where making an marketing stuff for these companyes.
We made some stuff for them - nothing more.

Last edited by =FB=VikS; 07/15/09 03:34 PM.

VikS
Flying BARANS Forever!
"All wool - to the front!"
www.barans.ru
www.riseofflight.com
#2819066 - 07/15/09 06:30 PM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: =FB=VikS]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
Lots of business's do this, its just a "look we've done work for these other people and they were satisfied" page. What's wrong with that.

If Neoqb have other lines of income beyond ROF then then it makes them more robust financially, good news. Eagle Dynamics have large military simulation contracts outside their retail business, it appears to have kept them afloat. No one moans about ED working with the USAF and others on the ED boards, I doubt that the development of the DCS series could have been sustained by retail sales of Lock On alone.

I'm sure the Neoqb guys wish they had access to some of Kamaz's billions of $$$ though. smile

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#2819094 - 07/15/09 07:11 PM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: Mogster]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
We made some stuff for them - nothing more.

Thanks for the clarification, =FB=VikS

#2819283 - 07/15/09 11:38 PM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: Sunchaser]  
Blackdog_kt Offline
Blackdog_kt  Offline

Originally Posted By: FiveDigits
There is no technical limitation that would prevent Neoqb to lift the login requirement in a last patch before switching off the lights. No need to panic. ... he has NO point.

And that's why it's ridiculous to have it in its present state. If they make it a combination of the methods used by Steam and Black Shark their sales will shoot through the roof. I had an idea the other day and it's not really complicated. Just like Steam, you could have an "run game offline" option. So, how do they check for copy protection when the disc has none? Simple really, make this offline option a renewable "coupon". As long as you're online the "coupon" is full and has 30 days of offline gameplay time. When you go offline because your ISP is acting up (a few minutes or hours), because you moved house and you don't have a new ISP setup yet (a few weeks or even a month depending on location), or just because you just turned on your PC and you forgot to turn on your router, the offline "coupon" is in effect and the 30 day countdown starts. Then, the next time you go online this timer is reset to the original 30 day value.

As for the updates, it's a similar process. When you run the game in online mode, let it check for updates and give you a pop-up window about downloading the patch, it's a simple "yes/no/quit" affair. I don't know if this is already implemented, but having the updates stored in a cache folder or even being able to download off the site directly and run them yourself would also be good. Why have to download 2GB of patches all over again if you need to reinstall 8 months down the line? Far simpler for them to be saved on your hard drive and you can keep a backup of them. This is not something i dreamt up all of a sudden, it's the way a MMO game i used to play handles updates and that one has an entire server cluster, a few hundred thousand subscribers and about 50000 concurrent logins on a single persistent online world. If it works for them, it should be a good model i think.

People don't like this requirement because it's unecessary trouble that could be done in a simpler way, not because they want RoF to fail for lack of copy protection. It's just a hassle and knowing that there are other ways to implement it just makes it seem harder to live with. Just my 2 cents, others are welcome to have a different opinion.

#2819325 - 07/16/09 12:57 AM Re: Who is neoqb? [Re: Para_Bellum]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
What if the space lobsters of doom take over the world and eat us all alive?

Quite. A very good question PB and kind of puts everything into perspective don't you think ....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.