Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2816213 - 07/12/09 02:21 PM Guide to Combat Radio Coms  
Ltfransky Offline
Sith Lord
Ltfransky  Offline
Sith Lord

Peterborough, ON, Canada
Fatty has provided an excellent reminder to how Voice Communication is used on the SimHQ server. But once you get on the proper channel and push the talk button, what do you say? Communicating over a radio, while under fire, is a difficult skill to master. But it is one that can be made easier with a few simple guidelines. With this in mind, I've dug out my platoon commander notes, sifted through the mounds of information, and come up with:

The Complete Idiots' Guide to Combat Radio Comms

Sunray this is Foxhound 1 – Request Starlight support – over
Foxhound 1 this is Sunray – Eight Two will contact – out

Two-One this is GOLF Two One can you direct fire – over.
GOLF Two One affirmative – out.

“Hmmmmm. I know those were English words, but I have no idea what was said.” This is what a lot of you are probably thinking, but don't worry. Radio Comms don't have to be this complicated. As per server SOP, we will be following the KISS principle. These rules are not Gospel, but merely pointers to help you communicate in the big, bad world of ArmA2. The majority of your communications in-game will fall into three categories: Situation Reports, Fire Control Orders, and Hasty Movement Orders.

The Situation Report (SitRep) is probably the most important type of message you can send. It tells your Commander what he/she needs to know in order to effectively react to the enemy. In one sentence, you need to convey all the information you have to the intended listener.. The easiest way to do this is to follow a simple format:

To Whom – Who – What – Where

For example: I'm moving on an advance-to-contact when I bump an enemy patrol. Before engaging, I hit the ground, key my radio and call my Commander (Biff):

Biff, this is Fransky – Contact 3 Dismounted Infantry – Bearing Two Seven Zero

From this, Biff knows he is the intended listener, who is speaking, what is happening, and where he needs to look. With this information, he can react appropriately to the threat.

Sometimes, I know, you are caught out by the enemy and the last thing on your mind is proper radio procedure. You need to shoot back and find cover ASAP. This doesn't preclude a report. All you do is abbreviate.

Let's look at the same scenario, but with the enemy engaging immediately. Bullets are flying and I am moving for cover. What do I say? Just use the TWWW format again.

Biff, this is Fransky, Contact, Wait Out.

This will snap Biffs attention to me, since he knows something is happening. But it also gives me time to get behind cover and sort out my section. Then I can give a full report, and Biff can respond appropriately. Fire Control Orders are slightly different. The human eye can only focus on one distance and direction at a time. So we have to tell each other which direction, how far to look, and what we need to see.

This is done with:

Range, Bearing, Target

For example: My section is engaged by a rifleman hidden in some trees. No one else sees it, so I have to direct them where to look. Using my compass and some range estimation I call out:

Range Three Hundred, Bearing Two-Seven-Zero, Single Rifleman in the trees!

From this point, the Commander can direct suppressing fire so that a flanking maneuver can be accomplished.

Sometimes, of course, the compass isn't useful (FIBUA for example). In this case the proword Reference is substituted.

Range Three Hundred, Reference white house left side, Single Rifleman.

That's it. You now have your rifles locked on to the target and all that remains is to finish the job.

Issuing Hasty Movement Orders is something that Platoon, Section, and Fireteam Commanders need to know intimately. Subordinates, to a lesser degree, need to have a handle on them because at any time they could be field promoted into a leadership role. The simplest way to think about these orders is to remember our SitRep format.

To Whom – Who – What – Where

For example, I need Alpha section to move to a flanking maneuver 50 metres to the right side. I would say this as:

Alpha, this is Fransky, move to flanking attack position 50 metres bearing 270

With any luck, this will cause Alpha to turn to bearing 270, run 50 metres, and then turn back and attack.

Please note that there are countless permutations to these three examples. These are not hard and fast rules which must be followed but are merely an aide memoire that will make communicating easier. Combat is a fluid art that requires quick thinking and decisive action. Clear, concise communication is the key to achieving these results. But that doesn't mean you should rush. Remember to pause, compose your message, press the button, speak, and then release the button. Taking an extra second before transmitting will save minutes of confusion (and lots of bullet holes) after the message.

Last edited by Ltfransky; 07/13/09 06:53 PM.

Please Heatware Me!

Ours is not to reason why. Ours is to do or die.
Tennyson

I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..
Gillespie Magee, RCAF
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2816220 - 07/12/09 02:39 PM Re: Guide to Combat Radio Coms [Re: Ltfransky]  
Wepps Offline
Wepps  Offline

Beaumont, Texas
Thanks for posting that. Very helpful.

We actually do something very similar to that already. It's not near as formal though. Since we almost only ever play with a squad (or reinforced squad), we normally call in a contact like this:

(Magnum as Squad Leader (Delta Team)
Biff as Bravo Team Leader
Wepps as Bravo Rifleman.

Group Channel
Wepps: Biff, Foot Mobile Contact bearing 200, moving right to left.
Biff: Roger Wepps.
Teamspeak Channel
Biff: Magnum (or Delta if he's feeling formal), reporting foot mobile contact at 200 from our current position.

It rarely gets more difficult or complex than that.

Last edited by Wepps; 07/12/09 05:32 PM.
#2816317 - 07/12/09 05:10 PM Re: Guide to Combat Radio Coms [Re: Wepps]  
Enven Offline
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse...
Enven  Offline
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse...

Lat: 33.7669444 Long: -118.188...
Yeah, the more complexed you make it, the more time it will take to get through comms, especially being that we only have an average of 10-20(max) players per session.

RIP Kevin "Positive G" Speichts
#2816383 - 07/12/09 06:47 PM Re: Guide to Combat Radio Coms [Re: Enven]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
We could also use the S.A.L.U.T.E acronym (Strenght, Activity, Location, Unit, Time, and Equipment) when on recon phase. Yet, the more practical and adapted to the environment, the better the efficiency!

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 07/12/09 06:58 PM.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#2816705 - 07/13/09 06:26 AM Re: Guide to Combat Radio Coms [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
BlueSixGolf Offline
BlueSixGolf  Offline

Mesa, Arizona
For comparison, here's a link to a guide I posted for Steel Beasts awhile back: Commo

#2816972 - 07/13/09 03:05 PM Re: Guide to Combat Radio Coms [Re: BlueSixGolf]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Yours is more professional BSG, it does not say i am an "Idiot" if I need to read it!....... yep ...Who knows pretty soon we'll see the "Imbecile Precis to Combat Tactics"!...or the "Morron Doctrine to CQB"... hahaha ...My point is: no one is an Idiot in SimHQ!

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 07/13/09 03:15 PM.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#2817030 - 07/13/09 04:04 PM Re: Guide to Combat Radio Coms [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
I am an idiot, at least according to my wife I am, and of all people, she should know.

smile

#2817034 - 07/13/09 04:07 PM Re: Guide to Combat Radio Coms [Re: MojoFlow]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
according to my wife and family... I'm an idiot for even playing video games... lol...

that said... this is one member sharing his thoughts and opinions on a certain aspect of gaming... he's got some good info in this post, (thats why I copy/pasted it to the ArmA2 play sticky)... Not that we will be this hardcore into our comms but understand the basics and using a little military procedure won't hurt anyone... as for SimHQ...we will always remain a KISS server.

#2817145 - 07/13/09 06:31 PM Re: Guide to Combat Radio Coms [Re: Magnum]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Agreed Mag, the info's good!...I was talking about the title!...You can KISS and keep it safe at the same time!...It goes a long way!...

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#2817164 - 07/13/09 06:55 PM Re: Guide to Combat Radio Coms [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Ltfransky Offline
Sith Lord
Ltfransky  Offline
Sith Lord

Peterborough, ON, Canada
Originally Posted By: Gunnyhighway
Yours is more professional BSG, it does not say i am an "Idiot" if I need to read it!....... yep ...Who knows pretty soon we'll see the "Imbecile Precis to Combat Tactics"!...or the "Morron Doctrine to CQB"... hahaha ...My point is: no one is an Idiot in SimHQ!

Haw Haw, very funny.

What I was going for was THIS

Please Heatware Me!

Ours is not to reason why. Ours is to do or die.
Tennyson

I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..
Gillespie Magee, RCAF

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.