Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
#2751985 - 06/27/09 08:59 PM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: trek]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

FollowUp: Has anyone just gone into properties after making the changes and changed the box to:"Read Only." That fix has worked for me on many games that for some reason wouldn't keep saves.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2751991 - 06/27/09 09:07 PM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: trek]  
WilliVonBill Offline
WilliVonBill  Offline

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: trek
I think you also need to change the save name, maybe use your own name: ex. Save As "trek"

Yes, that is correct. If you're working with the default .map and hit 'save', they won't stick. You have to hit 'save as' and name it as a new personalized .map, such as 'trek's joystick' or 'WvB Inputs', or whatever.

~RB3D~First Eagles~OFF BH&H~RoF~
Its A Good Time To Be A WWI Sim Junkie!
#2752004 - 06/27/09 09:26 PM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: WWTaco]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

I can setup my stick just fine....I have no problems.

#2752026 - 06/27/09 10:05 PM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: Sim]  
Gustang Offline
Gustang  Offline

Ramsey, MN
Well, sorry to hear that others are having difficulty. I jumped in and couldn't step away for 5 hours. Unfortunately, that's all the time I'll have for about a week frown

Regardless, in that 5 hours, I fell in love. It was such an incredibly fun experience that I'm now having a hard time concentrating on other things.

#2752034 - 06/27/09 10:35 PM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: Gustang]  
DoolittleRaider Offline
DoolittleRaider  Offline

Okay...I'm up to giving ROF a 7+ out of 10...heading up still. It is a lot of fun flying; graphics great! Low level flying in Training Mission #3 over the river just at tree top level (NICE looking trees) is very cool!

The major problem I have remaining is I can't get my throttle (on my Logitech stick)to work right...that is, it's reversed so I have to pull back to increase speed/RPMs and push forward to reduce...that's a P-in-the-A unnatural setting. I did try in the Settings/Services/PlaneControls GUI to use the Inverse check box, but nothing happens. Any ideas???

Now...who knows how to "Skip" Training Missions. Assume we can go into some file and // or - them away??? While fun looking around during training missions, they are tedious. One tiny error after a 15 minute flight and you Zap yoruself...and have to repeat the same thing again..that's a waste of my time.

On the VERY Good Side...the 6DOF TIR (I have TIR4) is simply marvelous..leaning right and left to look forward, for example..really very cool...and helpful. LOVE it! Can't wait to use that ability in a Dogfight!

Okay...make ROF an 8/10 in my Book! What a difference a day makes, ehh what??!!! I guess I should eat some Humble Pie for my initial rating as 1 out of 10. So I will!

By the time those reading these threads who have not yet gotten their ROF do so, there should be clear "How-To" threads, maybe Stickied, on the Forum to make the installation/Setup MUCH easier for you. Lucky Dogs!

#2752037 - 06/27/09 10:41 PM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: Gustang]  
Toadvine Offline
Toadvine  Offline

Seattle
Originally Posted By: Gustang
Well, sorry to hear that others are having difficulty. I jumped in and couldn't step away for 5 hours. Unfortunately, that's all the time I'll have for about a week frown

Regardless, in that 5 hours, I fell in love. It was such an incredibly fun experience that I'm now having a hard time concentrating on other things.

Now that is the kind of report I want to hear! I will be getting a copy pretty soon.

#2752040 - 06/27/09 10:44 PM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: Gustang]  
Swoose Offline
Swoose  Offline

Yorktown, Virginia, USA
I'm fairly sure my problems with ROF stem from the fact that my system does not meet the Minimum System Requirements. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz CPU (Minimum System Specs call for a 2.4). My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 2600XT (Minimum System Specs call for a Radeon HD 3500). I thought because I can run IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 decently my rig could handle ROF with settings turned way down, but I was wrong. I would strongly advise not purchasing ROF if your system doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

As seller reaj591 I'll be selling my copy at Amazon.com Marketplace on Monday, 29 June when Amazon makes ROF available for purchase.

I wish all ROF pilots Good Luck and Good Hunting- and may all your bugs be squashed!

Learn the history and support the restoration of the Boeing B-17D "Swoose" at the National Museum of the US Air Force

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=12773
#2752041 - 06/27/09 10:48 PM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: Gustang]  
Baco Offline
Baco  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Disapopinted here too.
Overlly complicated imput set up, not intuitive, and the fact that you have to wait for the game to load, choose mission, load mission tests, Exit, correct, load game, load mission, test.. exit...

My rudder is allways inverted no matter how I detect it. If i invert axis, it inverts EVREY axis...
Views set ups is a compleat mistery I got it yestereday friday noon from Gogamer tryed to register since 5 PM, finnally got the e-mail this morning, installed, been configuring keys and axis since then....

FM? DM? have no ide never got that far...

I have been flying sims for 20 years, I am computer able, Danced with Falcon, moded Il'2..Maybe I´m getting old.. I really cant understand how you can enjoy this game, unless you are a diehard WWI fan that would go to any extent to have your fix...

The sim really shines in some departments, Atention to detail and relaism, complex managment of everything looks awsome, the hand signals are incredible. So as a concept and design is Outstanding indeed.

But as software is a pice of C...
It needs LOTS of work, really lots of work, and get a programer for christ sake.

And WHY do we have airplanes in the menu that we cant use? I chose one of those and had to wait till the mission loaded till it said my acount did not have permision to use those planes.. Why do we have pay for unlocking content that is allready there? specially when it carries a full pirce tag...

How much is it going to cost to have RoF with 5 flyables?

And I would pay gladlly for a well finished furstration free sim, but All that I got for 40 bucks is frsutartion, and anger.. That I am sure some poeople here will continue to inflct on me becouse I don´t worship the new super sim...

Experimented a little with MP. created a server, and the system reminds me of EAW. canned missions, no freedom at all, very little flexibility.. closer to Tks Strike fighter series that to il'2 Blakshark, where you enter auniverse and you can do whatever you like... No, here is 5 vs 5, tank attack, oh coeme on! AStill havent tryed the campaign in coop mode, so that might be abig thing.
besdes I had soem frecews, or low FPS or soemthing...
My rig is a T8400 Dual Core 2.1Ghz, 4 Gigs orf ram and a G force 9600Gt. Win vista 64, home SP 1. run it at 1280x1050.. O by teh way befor registering I got no choice in resiolution, now I get 3 choices, teh othe rtwo are like 1600 x soemthing. a resolution I know My card cant handle, I was hoping to get the clasic 1024,x 76 option to not overpower my Gforce...but now.. yes I know a patch..

Fired up the editor.. now that is a counter intuitive tool.. and of course no manual..
Well, hope the guys enjyoing it have a blast all weekend long.
I am going back yo building my Il-2 maps till a few patches come out. and make teh experience more managable...

Just one thought: if Oleg had published BoB this year, they would have had to give it away for free for someone to fly it...

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack Pilots make history.
#2752043 - 06/27/09 10:58 PM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: Baco]  
Rama Offline
Rama  Offline

Toulouse France
Originally Posted By: Baco

My rudder is allways inverted no matter how I detect it. If i invert axis, it inverts EVREY axis...

You have the solution in the appropriate subforum.

#2752045 - 06/27/09 11:01 PM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: Gustang]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
My game isn't here yet, but I'm getting ready.

I took a crash course in programming (c++ and dx).
Some yoga classes to help relax me.
A support group for patience.
A hand full of valium from the dope dealer down the street for nerves.
Removed anything throwable from my desk.
Am I missing anything?

Just kidding.

It appears there are a lot of things in the setup that are quite different than the norm we are use to. So I guess there will be a bit of a learning curve in how it all works. While these things are frustrating, they don't seem to be total game breakers, so I'm not going to worry too much about them. Hopefully as developement continues many of these things will be changed and/or improved upon.
So far it seems most things reported here as issues are simply due to users not familiar with the way this game works. Seems like for most things, someone has been able to explain how to do it. Notice I didn't say how to 'fix' it, because it isn't broken, it is just different.
It does sound like things could have been more user friendly though.

I fully agree with many things said here.
One being if we don't have a plane as flyable, it should be grayed out or something until we buy it. Not a big deal now, since we know what planes the game comes with that are flyable. But down the road as our collection of flyables grow, we'll have to remember if we have it or not. That will be vital or we will be picking planes only to get the message after loading.

The thing about how we have to invert the axis 'before' we assign a control to it sounds strange.
How will we know if we need to invert it or not? And if we find we do once we get into the air, we have to close the flight down to reassign the axis. A pain in the butt I'm sure, but once everything is finally done, we shouldn't have to mess with it anymore.
Anyway, I see a long setup process ahead, but then everything should be okay.
I believe it was already said that the issue with jumping back to default fov at times when using

TIR will be fixed. Probably many other things will be smoothed out in upcoming patches.

The important thing is, the game works without any serious issues. So while it may be in its infancy, it will probably grow up to be a classic.

Yes, I am optimistic.

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
FIA Formula One World Championship
#2752050 - 06/27/09 11:16 PM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: Gustang]  
Blackdog_kt Offline
Blackdog_kt  Offline

Man, it's funny how in the space of two days not only the general forum sentiment has been turned around, but there are also certain people that are nowhere to be found after the registration/verification fiasco biggrin

I'm sorry for you guys. No matter how critical i've been about RoF, any half-decent new sim title will have the fans itching to take the planes up for a ride and being unable to do that really stinks. I'm also sorry for Jason, who went out of his way to provide a good service and finds himself in a position where he has to defend the actions and shortcomings of someone else. Believe it or not, i'm also sorry for the Neoqb guys, it must be awful to have that sinking feeling that things are out of control on your first major release. Needless to say however, it's mostly their fault.

The people i'm not sorry for are the usual suspects that tried to hush-hush every discussion about RoF's flaws. There's a language barrier that's more important than people realize. Neoqb's less than stellar PR between the Russian and the US release made it even more difficult for people to communicate their worries and disagreements regarding certain features.

On top of that, add the fact that whenever someone criticized a certain aspect of the title there was always a group of "musketeers" rushing to blindly defend its honor, like it was a damsel in distress, derailing topics and finally resulting in valid concerns getting buried under heaps of pages of personal attacks going back and forth. The signal to noise ratio was very low and that's the most efficient way to make sure nobody will pay attention. I don't know if it was intentionall or it was just people getting impatient and passionate about RoF, but frankly i don't really care. All i know is i bet some people are wishing they had listened more carefully when a large part of the community was expressing pretty valid concerns about a lot of things in RoF. Who knows, if they hadn't been so keen to burry those concerns unders heaps of drivel, maybe they would have reached someone in a position to take some pre-emptive correction measures like for example the Neoqb offices.

So instead of having a rational discourse that could have ended with a community-made list about things considered important to present to Neoqb, we had this:

A: "Guys, i think that XYZ is a bad feature. It allienates the customers and means less sales for Neoqb"
B: "How can you say that when you don't even own the game?" (I love this one, i have to buy something i consider not up to par otherwise i have no right to comment on it. Laughable biggrin )
A: "Yeah, well, i still think it's broken"
B: "Listen up rookie, i was a beta tester and an old-school SimHQ forum poster and i won't take that from you. Shut up, the game is great" (Yeah, the seniority card was comedy gold as well. Because everyone knows that you can't read forums without being a registered member and thus, you know nothing about RoF development through the past 3 years compared to the guy with the 10345 posts. Excuse me but i can't hear you over the sound of how awesome my abs are after all this workout from laughing so hard rofl )
A: "Cheerleader!"
B: "Nervous Nellie!"
A: "Fanboy!"
B: "Go back to your time machine and play RB3D or get on with the times! Online, yeah! I won't have to double-click a patch file to install ever again!"

I'm sure that worked pretty well up to this point, but i need confirmation from some senior forum members that have been deeply involved in the process of making sure the general public "understands the advantages of this project". Freycinet, Flyretired and the rest of the gang, where are you now that you're needed the most? hahaha rofl exitstageleft

#2752057 - 06/27/09 11:31 PM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: Blackdog_kt]  
Rama Offline
Rama  Offline

Toulouse France
There's only one thing I feel sorry about.... it's your biterness...
I sincerelly hope you'll find the something which makes you happy one day...

Nothing is geting out of control, most of the problems players encounter have their solutions in the tech subforum.
For most of the players, these problems will just be memories in a few days.

What I don't understand, is the need you feel to post this kind of "revenge" post (of course falling short since the total disaster you see only exist in your imagination)... if you feel this is a need for you, I really feel sorry... and I mind it...

#2752073 - 06/28/09 12:19 AM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: Blackdog_kt]  
WWTaco Offline
WWTaco  Offline

West Virginia
What a troll...

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
Henry David Thoreau
#2752077 - 06/28/09 12:22 AM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: WWTaco]  
Toadvine Offline
Toadvine  Offline

Seattle
The most eloquent I told you so I have ever read!

#2752079 - 06/28/09 12:23 AM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: Toadvine]  
franksvalli Offline
franksvalli  Offline

#2752087 - 06/28/09 12:41 AM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: WilliVonBill]  
BigJim43 Offline
BigJim43  Offline

Tucson, AZ
Doolitte you sound like me, but after abit of reading I discovered how to get my CH HOTAS recognized and the inverted throttle and rudders to be right.

I am running on a LOW end machine for this game, intel dual core 2.4, 2 GIG ram, GeForce 7900GTX 512 meg and I can fly not sure what the framerates are as I cannot find any command that will give em to me (the I key sez icons? but when depressed does zero)

I have to set my graphics to med and landscape to low but I can fly. I have the same "slow" load up problems but I suspect it is my low end rig (new 2 years ago sigh).

I can upgrade this rigs vid card but not the processor (dell offered a fix but only if you were in the know) so I may try the recommended Nivida card for this game. Heh if I can convince the Frow that 200 bucks to fly a 40 dollar game makes sense LOL.

I would like to see an in game joystick calibration routine ala Aces High, and the FM seems abit "touchy" but all in all it is at least playable at the moment altho I have tried online yet.

Last edited by BigJim43; 06/28/09 12:42 AM.
#2752101 - 06/28/09 12:56 AM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: BigJim43]  
WWBrian Offline
WWBrian  Offline

So Doolittle...from a 1 to a 7...nice!!! I'll squeeze an 11 out of ya yet!! =)

lol, seriously, glad you are enjoying it!

<S!>

WingWalker (virtual) Combat Squadron

Intel i7 980X @3.8 GHz | ASUS P6X58D Premium | Antec 1200w PSU | 12GB 1600Mhz RAM
SLI - 2x eVGA GTX 580 3072MB vRAM | Dell 3007WFP 30" + 2x Dell 2007FP 20" @ 5388x1600 res.
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD - O/S drive | Corsair Force 60GB SSD - ROF drive
WD VelociRaptor 300GB - Game drive | WD Black 1TB - Storage drive
CH HOTAS and TrackIR 5 +TCP | Realtek on-board sound | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

#2752106 - 06/28/09 01:04 AM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: BigJim43]  
Toadvine Offline
Toadvine  Offline

Seattle
I am glad the game got published and the sim is out. The key issue when evaluating the game is the foundation. At its core is RoF a solid WW1 combat flight simulator? Everything else is peripheral and can be addressed with fixes or patches. Although these problems cause frustration they are not terminal to the sim.

I want to see this title succeed. I want a new WW1 combat flight simulator and if RoF doesn't pull it off then it will be a long while, if ever, before we see another attempt.

#2752116 - 06/28/09 01:40 AM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: Toadvine]  
franksvalli Offline
franksvalli  Offline

I really honestly believe that RoF is a solid WWI sim at its core. Everything that matters is there.

That being said, I'm kind of disappointed that it wasn't released in a more polished state here in the US, especially with everything relating to new user registrations and multiplayer. It looks like the registrations have been sorted out (is there anyone who's still having problems?), and I know multiplayer and other issues will be smoothed out eventually.

It was really troubling to see all the new registration issues people were having last night. That kinda irked me. That's a fast way to give a lot of people bad impressions, and it hits especially hard since that's the one hot issue that people were refusing to buy the game based on (internet connection requirement). But now that seems to be a non-issue (hopefully).

#2752120 - 06/28/09 01:52 AM Re: Can we state our opinion of ROF here?? [Re: franksvalli]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
Wow, people are having problems with a new game. They're not familiar with the set up and this is causing some confusion.

Blackdog_kt HEADLINE
RoF is the worst game, ever! [/comic book guy voice]]

Mate, one minute you're extolling the virtues of the sim when you see something you do like and then the next minute you come up with the "told you so" scenario when you see something you don't like.

EDIT: Hungover personal attack deleted.

Last edited by Smosh; 06/28/09 04:17 AM.

Rabbits, break right and climb.
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.