Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2751532 - 06/27/09 10:20 AM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: =FB=VikS]  
JSkellington Offline
JSkellington  Offline

Still no email ....

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2751551 - 06/27/09 11:27 AM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: tamper527]  
WWBrian Offline
WWBrian  Offline

Originally Posted By: tamper527
Grrr...trying awfully hard to refrain from ugly comments about this...just want to play the freakin' game...

Anyway, got game loaded, go to neoqb website to 'register'...tried two different email accounts. Got a 'instruction email has been sent' message both times...

...but no email with the link you use to activate the registration, therefore, no starting the game.

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else see this?

Tamper,

try just going back to riseofflight.com and typing in your username and password. Then go to the profile section.

...I'm beginning to suspect the accounts were created, but the email return notification got snafu'ed.

Try logging onto the website and entering your key anyway. You dont need the email, its just a convienience link to the page you can go to manually.

Hope this helps

WingWalker (virtual) Combat Squadron

Intel i7 980X @3.8 GHz | ASUS P6X58D Premium | Antec 1200w PSU | 12GB 1600Mhz RAM
SLI - 2x eVGA GTX 580 3072MB vRAM | Dell 3007WFP 30" + 2x Dell 2007FP 20" @ 5388x1600 res.
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD - O/S drive | Corsair Force 60GB SSD - ROF drive
WD VelociRaptor 300GB - Game drive | WD Black 1TB - Storage drive
CH HOTAS and TrackIR 5 +TCP | Realtek on-board sound | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

#2751580 - 06/27/09 12:19 PM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: WWBrian]  
tamper527 Offline
tamper527  Offline

Brian,

Of course, I had already tried that, as well. And I do realize the email link is only a mechanism, I appreciate you are trying to help and I don't mean this the wrong way (please) but let's not assume I'm totally devoid of knowledge about these things, OK?

I went to bed totally miffed about it, after waiting quite some time (hours?). When I got up just now, I see there's the neoqb email waiting, so I'll be heading over there to register shortly.

I'm relieved this seems sorted for now, but I am not happy about the situation on the whole. I do not (repeat do not) expect everything to be 'perfect'...but I do expect a response - swift and sure - when there's a problem.

That's how we distinguish ourselves as a service provider in the industry I'm in: Everyone has problems, that part's normal...it's how you respond to the problems that counts. I'm sorry, I just feel neqb should've been on the 'ready 5' during this first week or two, and should've seen fit to have someone in here for PR, publicly acknowledging the issues and letting folks know what's being done. IMHO it would behoove them to do so, within minutes, for each and every problem, for at least the initial period of the release.

I've supported RoF for this whole journey, replete with 'money where mouth is'. I'd like to think I've made the right choice, but - of all the places to have issues - they should've been particularly sensitive to anything that involved the word 'online'.

Just my opinion, as a now-paying customer.

I hope we can both looking forward to happily kicking the crap outta each other in the (virtual) sky.

#2751587 - 06/27/09 12:28 PM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: tamper527]  
WWBrian Offline
WWBrian  Offline

water under the bridge tamper...

You'll find that troubleshooting stuff requires alot of seemingly "dumb" questions. There was no intent to judge your level of knowledge from my end. But from our last few threads, I can see why it would be easy for you to take it that way. It's all good!

*reaches out for a handshake*

Enjoy!! ...and check six! pilot

<S!>

WingWalker (virtual) Combat Squadron

Intel i7 980X @3.8 GHz | ASUS P6X58D Premium | Antec 1200w PSU | 12GB 1600Mhz RAM
SLI - 2x eVGA GTX 580 3072MB vRAM | Dell 3007WFP 30" + 2x Dell 2007FP 20" @ 5388x1600 res.
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD - O/S drive | Corsair Force 60GB SSD - ROF drive
WD VelociRaptor 300GB - Game drive | WD Black 1TB - Storage drive
CH HOTAS and TrackIR 5 +TCP | Realtek on-board sound | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

#2751618 - 06/27/09 01:14 PM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: WWBrian]  
tamper527 Offline
tamper527  Offline

Brian, my Dad used to say "When two people argue, it's always the smartest who's in the wrong".

I'm very tempted to blast you for that last set of comments, but you know what? I'm the smartest. Older I get, the smarter my Dad gets.

Have a great day.

#2751624 - 06/27/09 01:21 PM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: tamper527]  
Cameljockey Offline
Cameljockey  Offline

Hampton, SC USA
That's how we distinguish ourselves as a service provider in the industry I'm in: Everyone has problems, that part's normal...it's how you respond to the problems that counts. I'm sorry, I just feel neqb should've been on the 'ready 5' during this first week or two, and should've seen fit to have someone in here for PR, publicly acknowledging the issues and letting folks know what's being done. IMHO it would behoove them to do so, within minutes, for each and every problem, for at least the initial period of the release.

Not meaning to be trollish, but the guys at Neoqb could take some lessons about tech support from OBD. They did a fantastic job with BH&H support after the release.

NZXT Guardian 921 RB Case
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W PSU
ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVDRW Drive
ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Mainboard
Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz
DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm Lucifer V2 CPU Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Kingston 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal SSD
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI E 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
#2751649 - 06/27/09 01:42 PM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: Cameljockey]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Looks like it is fixed now.

Jason

#2751692 - 06/27/09 02:22 PM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
Thank you Jason, I know you didn't actually make the changes but you at least provided some communication for us and let us know what was going on ... and apparently got someone's attention.

I was at first happy this morning to see the email from ROF, but when I attempted to enter the confirmation it said it was invalid ... okay, maybe they want the dashes too ... still invalid ... okay maybe it's case sensitive ... still invalid ... OKAY (GRRRRR) let me double check the entry ... oops

Now to get it recognize my joystick ... {sigh}.

I have to admit I'd never paid much attention to DRM before but I can see why it has the potential for a large problem.

Thanks again,
Joe

p.s. Great service from your people, I'll be using them again.

I'm a Chickenhawk and you're my victim, ya gonna come along quiet or do I gotta muss ya up?
#2751702 - 06/27/09 02:35 PM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: Cameljockey]  
tamper527 Offline
tamper527  Offline

Originally Posted By: Cameljockey

Not meaning to be trollish, but the guys at Neoqb could take some lessons about tech support from OBD. They did a fantastic job with BH&H support after the release.

No, no CJ - you got it all wrong...apparently, the proper way to handle legitimate customer complaints is "Water under the bridge".

And I have to listen to [sic] "You'll find when doing technical support..."

I've been doing it, professionally, for over 25 years. And if one of my reps responded to a legitimate customer complaint that way, I'd fire them, on the spot. If I did so, even though I run the department, the VP would fire me, on the spot - and I'd expect him to, even if we've been associated for 20 years now. There are just some things that simply are never done in tech support...but apparently, I have no idea what I'm talking about, either.

Good thing this response isn't actually coming from someone professionally compensated by neoqb. If I were them, I'd be getting someone actually qualified in here - and that, right soon.

Last edited by tamper527; 06/27/09 02:35 PM.
#2751766 - 06/27/09 03:58 PM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
tamper527 Offline
tamper527  Offline

Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
I said they MAY not know, because I'm not there in person to verify. They were up at 3am so I can only assume they are there at 10am on a Saturday. I've done my best to alert them to the problem as have you guys.

I assume they are busy there trying to rectify the problem instead of bothering with me on Skype. All I can do right now is ask for patience.

Jason

Yes, Jason, I read what you wrote. I don't think it's necessary or appropraite to use caps to 'yell' at me. Let me explain something, and offer a few suggestions and recommendations:

Your company name appears on a product I have paid to purchase. I am a customer. So, whether I irritate the total living crap out of you, I would suggest that you consider your reputation, and that of neoqb, is at issue here. It shouldn't come as a surprise that there are many people watching this right now, and those people are potential customers. I would suggest you consider that this is a crucial point in a business relationship. Just as a suggestion, perhaps you should act accordingly.

That being said, yes, you did say "MAY". What I (me - the paying customer) said, though, is that they darn well ought to know. They darn well ought to be here, 'like ugly on an ape", listening to the customer and taking care of any problem, immediately. Without impugning a customer.

The issues with registration were frustrating, and a poor start for this release. Are you actually going to make matters worse by treating customers as if we're the problem?

Never mind what happened, it is foolish from a business sense to dismiss that neoqb is not responding well to the customer here. If you find yourself unable to address these concerns - for whatever reason - then please put me in touch with someone who can.

Of course, you run your business as you see fit.

#2751800 - 06/27/09 04:43 PM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: tamper527]  
WWTaco Offline
WWTaco  Offline

West Virginia
rof@neoqb.com

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
Henry David Thoreau
#2751839 - 06/27/09 05:32 PM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: tamper527]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Wow.

All I can say is WOW. I am glad I decided not to order this game until they got their act together. GL all and I hope you get to play the game soon.

#2752110 - 06/28/09 01:11 AM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: Master]  
tamper527 Offline
tamper527  Offline

WWTaco, I did write that email address - and, in fact, got a return receipt it had been read.

However, I did not get a reply. I got a separate email, from the automated registration server (finally) with the registration info.

But no reply to the email I sent directly to neoqb.

Good idea. Apparently not what it takes, either, though.

What seems to be getting overlooked here is neoqb was obviously intent on the online model they use. My point is that, if you want to insist on doing things that way, then you'd better darn well be prepared for the support obligation that goes with.

This is exactly the scenario many feared: Inability to play the game they purchased, when they want, because of problems with servers.

Yes, I know it got resolved - but it was several hours, with little communication (and only that from Jason, basically saying he couldn't do much) and none at all from neoqb. We finally got word it had been fixed, that's about it.

I think we're owed more.

Many people just don't have that kind of time - we sneak in an hour if we're lucky here and there between jobs, family, and other responsibilities. If it takes hours to resolve issues like this, we're sort of screwed. It doesn't make us any less a 'sim-fan' that we cannot afford all the time and money we have being thrown at a game.

I'm not saying they don't have a right to the business model they've chosen. I am saying if you make the bed, you'd better be ready to lay in it.

#2752119 - 06/28/09 01:50 AM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: tamper527]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
I wasn't yelling at anyone tamper. I'm sorry you took it that way. The caps was not meant as a shout. The issue has now been resolved. I'm perfectly aware of how upset some people were and what people expect of us. I endevour every day to provide great service to each and every one of my customers. From my days at Naturalpoint, to my days at GoGamer and now with my own company 777 Studios. I know what this community expects, some think I am crazy for even bothering with this community. I disagree obviously. neoqb also works very hard to provide a quality product and flight-sim experience. I would not have risked my personal reputation on a product or partner I did not think shared my same point of view. In this case there were some unforeseen technical glitches that were solved as fast as possible. Call it a teething phase, call it a failure, call it whatever you want it's your opinion. All I can say is that myself and neoqb did all we could to prevent problems and a couple still occured, then everyone snapped into action to fix it ASAP. I can't ask for more.

Let's go fly.

Jason

#2752401 - 06/28/09 03:06 PM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
FlatSpinMan Offline
FlatSpinMan  Offline

Land of the Rising Sun
I wouldn't say this is Jason's fault, it seems he was politely trying to help with his explanatory post.

#2752727 - 06/28/09 09:41 PM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: FlatSpinMan]  
tamper527 Offline
tamper527  Offline

FlatSpin, mind you - I'm not saying it's Jason's fault. I'm saying that things were mishandled, never mind whose fault it is. I'm saying someone should darn well be listening - and that a lot of people are watching. Not a good time for missteps, especially one concerning the most contested aspect of RoF's design.

No one (including me) expects things to be perfect. I do believe it's fair to expect that people should avoid foreseeable mistakes, own up to mistakes when there are problems, work to correct whatever mistakes they make, and learn from it to keep it from happening again.

Sometimes I'm not convinced these things are all taking place.

#2752754 - 06/28/09 10:09 PM Re: Can't play :( Anyone else stuck? [Re: tamper527]  
tamper527 Offline
tamper527  Offline

Jason,

I don't think it was me who decided that caps on the internet mean yelling; it's pretty much universally understood and has been for, what...a decade or more now? I didn't take anything the wrong way, and I do not appreciate your trying to somehow make what you did my fault. C'mon, man; I'm sure you can do better.

(BTW, I work in support, and I learned the old "I'm sorry you took it that way" trick, too - I also know it really evades taking responsibility). Here's another suggestion: When you've made a mistake, just admit it. Simply a suggestion.

It's not that I don't appreciate what you're trying to do. Believe it or not, I do believe RoF has tremendous potential, and I backed that belief up with my dollars.

It's good to know that the registration fiasco wasn't necesarily a problem with neoqb's servers. And, you did the right thing by getting that explanation up.

But, I do have to ask, though: In the thread that offers neoqb's explanation of what happened, you said "Personally I've dealt with this issue before wih sending email newsletters..."

Doesn't that make this problem foreseeable? One could reasonably imagine that this release was going to involve a substantial volume of emails being sent - which (if I'm follwing the explanation) that's what caused all this.

Shouldn't this have been considered before? As I've mentioned in another thread, neoqb was apparently intent on the decision to require connectivity. Given it was their choice, shouldn't we - the paying customers - be entitled to expect they will attend to foreseable issues?

As I've said all along, I do not expect this to be perfect. I do expect that, since neoqb insisted on this, they'd better be prepared to make it work - and it appears perhaps they are not as prepared as they should be.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.