Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#2749839 - 06/25/09 04:28 PM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: Harker]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Harker
So, was I supposed to find that sexy? FAIL.

Come on she purdy !! YeeHaww!! bananadance

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2750036 - 06/25/09 08:37 PM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: kramer]  
Harker Offline
Harker  Offline

Originally Posted By: kramer
i would be willing to bet that there are many college graduates with truck driving jobs. in this cold, cruel world you do what you have to do to survive.

Yes, there are people with PHDs even who end up in crap jobs because their PHD has no practical purpose in the real world. Driving one of those big rigs takes skill and knowledge and most of them get some pro training before before they start the job. And let's not forget that not everyone has the opportunity in life to go to College or Uni due to life circumstances. I left home at 16 and do have a technical college degree but had to do it all on my own pretty much. No parents paid for my college tuition and spoon fed me.

#2750090 - 06/25/09 09:31 PM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: Shredder]  
Razman23 Offline
Razman23  Offline

Originally Posted By: Shredder
Originally Posted By: Razman23
Ah yes...........Ice Road Truckers.

Yet another show about people without a college degree and the crappy jobs they end up with.

I farm for a living. Do I have a college degree? Is my job crappy? Please illuminate me.

When they come out with a lame arse 'reality' show about farmers, I will let you know.

Raz
#2750111 - 06/25/09 10:00 PM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: Razman23]  
Shredder Offline
Shredder  Offline

A farm in Iowa
Ah yes...........Ice Road Truckers.

Yet another show about people without a college degree and the crappy jobs they end up with.

I farm for a living. Do I have a college degree? Is my job crappy? Please illuminate me.

When they come out with a lame arse 'reality' show about farmers, I will let you know.

You think so, eh? I could either be a high school drop out or have a masters degree in international relations. Which do you think? Also, I could either find farming to be the most tedious, backbreaking job I've ever had or it could be the job I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. I'm sure you know the answer to that one as well.

Point is, you judge people based on what you think is a crappy job or when you think a job matches a certain level of education. I'll wager very few of those truckers think their job is crappy and just because you think it is doesn't make it so. Likewise, some of those truckers probably have a degree. I love farming and altough I don't use my masters in internation relations, there was a time that I did. So next time you care to place your values on other people, maybe you should take a moment to ponder the fact that maybe not all people share your perspective...or not.

#2750174 - 06/25/09 10:54 PM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: Shredder]  
speedbump Offline
Hotshot
speedbump  Offline
Hotshot

Edgewood TX
Driving a truck is an honorable and pretty good paying job. I should know and my whole family knows.
Razman23, you are one arrogant SOB for sure. You really don't warrant my time.

#2750179 - 06/25/09 10:57 PM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: Shredder]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I've worked on farms and ranches, which is why I selected the Army as my career choice. Farm and ranch work never ends, forces one to its timetable, and is usually unpleasant.

Never met a farmer or rancher that needed sleeping pills.

Linament and pain pills, sure, but never something to help them sleep!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2750206 - 06/25/09 11:18 PM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: Dart]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
No college degree here but regardless of how much the job paid, I could NEVER work in an office. Right now I have the best of both worlds - a job that makes me use my mind and is also very physical. Literally thousands of people depend on my work every day, there's something to be said about that.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#2750379 - 06/26/09 03:44 AM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: Harker]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
♦
Originally Posted By: Harker
Originally Posted By: kramer
i would be willing to bet that there are many college graduates with truck driving jobs. in this cold, cruel world you do what you have to do to survive.

Yes, there are people with PHDs even who end up in crap jobs because their PHD has no practical purpose in the real world. Driving one of those big rigs takes skill and knowledge and most of them get some pro training before before they start the job. And let's not forget that not everyone has the opportunity in life to go to College or Uni due to life circumstances. I left home at 16 and do have a technical college degree but had to do it all on my own pretty much. No parents paid for my college tuition and spoon fed me.

A guy who goes to Consim World and sometimes comes and plays with some guys I play boardgames with (but only when they are war games) designed the advanced Great War at Sea combat system. He also has a BA in History and a Master's in statistics. He drives a truck, because he enjoys seeing the US.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#2750388 - 06/26/09 03:59 AM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: Timothy]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I guess I just took to heart the old saw that there is no honest work that is dishonorable work.

There are lots of jobs I'd rather not do, though. Toll booth collectors get my hat's off - man, what a flippin' job to have to do!

Still, one man's "crap" job is another man's dream job. And loads of people do jobs they really don't like doing - but it's a job and pays the bills. My brother-in-law did a job that he literally hated, but it was high paying (engineering) and that was that; he had a family to support.

LOL, one of my Army buddies always said that when he got out he was going to buy a garbage truck and be a garbage man. Dunno why he thought that was a great thing to do, but danged if he didn't do exactly that, and is really happy running a small garbage collection company.

On Ice Road trucking, if I had the skills I think I'd like to go for it. Forty to Sixty K for three month's work? They ain't no dummies!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2750431 - 06/26/09 05:36 AM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: Dart]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
I'm so sick of these type shows. Have they completely ran out of talent in Hollywood (or where ever these are thought up)?
We have this boring show on and so may more just like it. The History channel, what a joke in so many ways. Like Life after people isn't history. Ice road truckers, wrecked, etc, etc. They are all total rubbish.

I'm not coming down on the people that do this kind of thing for a living. I'm sure it is tough work. It is the shows that stink. One or two episodes is plenty.

And the one about catching crabs. God how much longer must it go on. Good tv shows are a thing of the past.

When will the show on NY city pooper scoopers come out.

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
FIA Formula One World Championship
#2750432 - 06/26/09 05:39 AM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: TailFlamer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Man, if you don't like a show, turn the channel ! WTF nobody forces you to watch. Read a book for #%&*$# sake.

#2750433 - 06/26/09 05:46 AM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: TailFlamer]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By: TailFlamer

Isn't that the "Real Housewives of New York/ New Jersey" show?

Reality TV in general makes my stomach turn, but I think the worst ones are the ones that follow the idle, spoiled, out of touch with reality wealthy. I knew the kid of one of the housewives of Orange County, and they were even worse human beings in real life than they were on TV.

Ice Road Truckers/ Deadliest Catch/ etc document real people working their tails off to make an honest living. That in itself is admirable and respectful in my book.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#2750458 - 06/26/09 06:37 AM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: WangoTango]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
Originally Posted By: BillyBud
Man, if you don't like a show, turn the channel ! WTF nobody forces you to watch. Read a book for #%&*$# sake.

Well that's what I was getting at. It's crap on all channels anymore. I said the History channel, but also said that good tv shows are gone. Not just on HC, but everywhere is some crap show. I don't think the crab catchers are on HC.

#2750460 - 06/26/09 06:43 AM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: NavyNuke99]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
Originally Posted By: NavyNuke99
Originally Posted By: TailFlamer

Isn't that the "Real Housewives of New York/ New Jersey" show?

Reality TV in general makes my stomach turn, but I think the worst ones are the ones that follow the idle, spoiled, out of touch with reality wealthy. I knew the kid of one of the housewives of Orange County, and they were even worse human beings in real life than they were on TV.

Ice Road Truckers/ Deadliest Catch/ etc document real people working their tails off to make an honest living. That in itself is admirable and respectful in my book.

I agree, but we don't have to have hour long shows on it over and over again. One show about the crab catchers and one show about the truckers is plenty, because they are all the same carp. Oh I have to get 80 tons or I lose my ass. I must go 300 miles today or I lose my ass, It is the same damn thing over and over. It's crap tv. It has nothing to do with them who do the jobs. I respect them, but I'm sick of the shows.

#2750466 - 06/26/09 06:51 AM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: TailFlamer]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
Oh yeah, and the gang shows, again crap tv. They make them look like heros and like it is an honor to be in a gang.
Durg dealers, murders, pimps, yet they show them as if it is 'cool' to be a part of that life.
Our National Guard should be walking those streets.

#2750698 - 06/26/09 02:35 PM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: TailFlamer]  
Dick Dastardly Offline
I Don't Care Bear
Dick Dastardly  Offline
I Don't Care Bear

Earth
For pooper scoopers, try Dirty Jobs. wink IMO a great show.

Suicide is man's way of telling god "You can't fire me, I quit!"
#2750728 - 06/26/09 03:08 PM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: Razman23]  
Cworth Offline
Cworth  Offline

Pennsylvania

If it wasn't for the people on those "lame arse" show you would not have half of what you have available to you.
They are the ones that keep this worlds economy and goods moving and flowing not the desk jockies sitting behind their fancy oak desks driving their fancy BMW's.
They are the ones doing the hard honest days work.I would rather have one of their jobs over some stuffy office job anyday.
Look at the show Dirty Jobs.Those people are doing the real work so you don't have to get your dainty little hands dirty.And its about time these people get the recognition they deserve.
And with that I give you this video to think about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38b3RVg7Jpo

Last edited by Cworth; 06/26/09 03:11 PM.

People who think they know everything are very annoying to those of us who do.
#2751190 - 06/27/09 12:11 AM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: Cworth]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
it's all about the drama, that's what people watch. They (TV networks) want them to get hurt, get in arguments, not make their quota...basically FAIL so that they have a show. If non of that stuff happened I guarantee it wouldn't be on for more then a few episodes; if even on TV because people watch that crap.
I admire the stuff they do also; but the way TV portrays it makes them look like a bunch of chuckleheads. They did the same with AxMen (even though loggers don't use axes to chop trees down anymore). They made them look like a bunch of slackjaw yokels from Oregon always b|tching and arguing. I have several friends that log here and they're some of the hardest workers out there

oh yea, and why these shows are on the history channel is beyond me. I would think they'd at least be on the Discovery or Science channels since there's really no history about them; except maybe when the narrator takes 30 seconds to explain how they did it way back when

Last edited by NoUseForAName; 06/27/09 12:15 AM.
#2751463 - 06/27/09 06:40 AM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: Shredder]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
[quote=Razman23]Ah yes...........Ice Road Truckers.

You think so, eh? I could either be a high school drop out or have a masters degree in international relations. Which do you think? Also, I could either find farming to be the most tedious, backbreaking job I've ever had or it could be the job I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. I'm sure you know the answer to that one as well.

Point is, you judge people based on what you think is a crappy job or when you think a job matches a certain level of education. I'll wager very few of those truckers think their job is crappy and just because you think it is doesn't make it so. Likewise, some of those truckers probably have a degree. I love farming and altough I don't use my masters in internation relations, there was a time that I did. So next time you care to place your values on other people, maybe you should take a moment to ponder the fact that maybe not all people share your perspective...or not.

[/quote]

Shredder, I agree. I ranch for a living. Anybody that thinks farming and ranching is something that only brainless slugs of society will do, I would challenge them to work in an industry with such a low profit margin, high expenses, long hours and subject to every vagary of nature that can be thrown at you. It isn't easy, but you learn things about nature, machinery, people, and finances that most people will never learn, degree or not.

In my life I've been a short-order cook, radio station disc jockey, tanker-truck driver, mechanic, owned and operated my own long-haul truck, operated a car wash, had my own welding business, and have just opened a mini-storage business. I have also inherited running the family ranch by default when my dad died last year. Of all those jobs, I enjoy the ranching the most, though the work conditions and hours could be better. Razman, next time you think about shooting your mouth off about people who seem to be beneath your high status, think about where the food you stuff in your pie-hole comes from. The farmer/rancher works his butt off to raise it, the trucker works his off to deliver it. There isn't anything you buy that hasn't been on a truck at some point to get to where ever you bought it.

As for the show...I have a strong dislike for 'reality' TV. Mainly because everything is so over-dramatized. In some ways I think this show may be good for people to watch who know nothing about what faces people who make a living herding a 40 ton rig down the road, but Lil' Jugs is also right about the poor light that they tend to portray the drivers in. Truckers are just like people in any other job, be it doctors or plumbers; there are good ones and bad ones. I wish they would just tell the story and leave out the false drama.

I really wish that the History Channel would return to what it was originally all about, though. I could easily come up with a list of shows that would keep them busy for years. I can't figure out why they have such a hard time coming up with new quality material without resorting to shows like these. There are plenty of other channels that would probably pick up programming like this. Let them have it and give me HISTORY on the 'History Channel'.

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#2751475 - 06/27/09 07:45 AM Re: Ice road trucker season 3 [Re: vocatx]  
Harker Offline
Harker  Offline

In communist society a garbage collector and a doctor have equal value as they are both needed to run the system smoothly.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.