Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2743459 - 06/15/09 11:35 AM Interview - Update  
SC/JG_Oesau Offline
SC/JG_Oesau  Offline

Sydney, Australia
Great to see the update with the interview http://www.simhq.com/_air12/air_410a.html

Nice to see things coming along and really hope that a publisher gets in on the act as I'm interested in the level of realism that I've got the feeling you are putting into it.

As for clickable cockpits I personally am not interested in them (I go with HOTAS for most items) but I do see the need for them for such displays as a MFD (which even the harrier didn't have during the conflict and yes it's ironic I go with HOTAS).

As in the interview, I wouldn't see it as being critical to getting it in 1.0 release but I am sure many would appreciate it coming along after 1.0

CPU - i7-3770K @3.50Ghz, RAM - 32Gb (800Mhz), Video Card - GTX980Ti
TrackIR-4, Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Satiek Quadrant, Saitek Switch Panel, Logitech G510 Keyboard, Win 7 Home Prem 64bit
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2743623 - 06/15/09 04:08 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: SC/JG_Oesau]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Here are my reactions to scary_pigeon's interview answers.

1. Thrust vector control really should be via analog axis. The option to assign keys to "nozzle up" and "nozzle down" is good for scalable control options, but an axis is the best way to go for HOTAS users.

2. Campaign - I was quite surprised to hear that the team is pondering a turn-based or RTS-style campaign engine. I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate a new approach, but this sort of things sounds counter to a typical flight sim campaign system (be it linear, semi-dynamic, or fully dynamic) and might impact gameplay. By nature air combat is not turn-based.

3. The graphics look really nice, but I'm concerned over some of the light reflections or bloom. Too many arcade-style games blow this effect way out of proportion, and it looks like JT lighting may be headed in that direction. This effect should be present only to the point where it enhances the image, not overwhelms it, creates a distraction, or makes it hard to read information (such as cockpit gauges).

#2743810 - 06/15/09 09:26 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Joe]  
Syncerus Offline
Syncerus  Offline

---

Last edited by Syncerus; 06/15/09 09:28 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
#2743925 - 06/16/09 12:15 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Syncerus]  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Hi Joe and SC/JG_Oesau smile

There is no technical problem in getting the thrust vector in an analog axis. As soon as the keymapper/axis mapper is done, the thrust vector could be assigned to any axis as the player wishes.

Personally I'm totally pro the real time dynamic campaign running in background. It is the original design. The turn based approach would be more of a "lifeboat" in case the real time approach gets too technically problematic in terms of software engineering. The flight sim crowd at this point is probably thinking about how many sims started promising dynamic campaigns and ended with a set of canned missions. In truth, Jet Thunder would be already finished if we opted for a set of canned missions.

Oh, the over the top effects may be that we're just started implementing shaders and we got carried away a bit by the difference they do. smile No worries, they will be tuned down as we progress, and the obvious Effect X: On/Off switch will be present in the options menu. wink

About clickable cockpits, we know that the Harrier and Sea Harrier in the conflict had not MFDs, but to the contrary to modern HOTAS-based jets like F/A-18 and newer, if you guys see the Sea Harrier FRS.1 flight manual you'll notice how much workload is needed to operate properly the radar and the NAV system. Lots of push buttons, not really ergonomic. smile 1960s jet fighter technology demanded heavy workload from the pilot, this pushed newer designs like F-16 and F-18 to go HOTAS and ergonomic. I'm totally in favor of clickable cockpits, although at the moment we're just like IL2: press "I" to start engine. I am not very fond of this (except for good accessibility), but as Cliff Bleszinski (famous game designer) said: "Game Development is mostly about figuring out what cool stuff you can do in a limited time period with limited cash." smile

-----
Jet Thunder Project
http://www.thunder-works.com
#2744048 - 06/16/09 05:47 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Dante-JT]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Originally Posted By: Dante-JT

Personally I'm totally pro the real time dynamic campaign running in background.

I am a happy simmer

I'm totally in favor of clickable cockpits,

I am a very very happy simmer

although at the moment we're just like IL2: press "I" to start engine. I am not very fond of this

I have just shed a tear of Joy !!! (I wish oleg would have such an epiphany) thumbsup

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 06/16/09 05:50 AM.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#2744123 - 06/16/09 10:59 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Syncerus Offline
Syncerus  Offline

I noticed in the interview that the game uses OpenGL. Are you planning on releasing the game on multiple platforms or as a Windows-only title?

#2744640 - 06/17/09 05:44 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Syncerus]  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Syncerus: yup, it's a possibility. Worked pretty well with Laminar Research's X-Plane.

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#2745646 - 06/18/09 07:29 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Dante-JT]  
HarryR Offline
HarryR  Offline

UK
Cool, now hurry up and get back to work wink

To..
#2746054 - 06/19/09 09:14 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: HarryR]  
CHDT Offline
CHDT  Offline

Switzerland
Just a word about the screenshots : much better to do them with a standard focale, not a wide one which deforms the aircrafts like ugly bananas (first advice I always give to newbie aviation photographers to avoid unpublishable pictures).

#2746056 - 06/19/09 09:22 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: CHDT]  
CHDT Offline
CHDT  Offline

Switzerland
3. The graphics look really nice, but I'm concerned over some of the light reflections or bloom.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To say the truth, I don't think so, I was much more impressed by the astonishing quality of the first in-game videos, two or three years ago, especially for their natural colors of the landscapes and the sky and sea. Here, everything looks far too much "velvia-ish".

And about the cockpit of the Sea Harrier, this level of details was quite correct a few years ago, but now, for an upcoming sim, it's no more enough, we need something at the level, at least of Lock-On. Also the Harrier model needs more polygons.

#2746390 - 06/19/09 07:57 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: CHDT]  
AWL_Spinner Offline
AWL_Spinner  Offline

Vancouver, Canada

Oooh yes, coloration is very important. Drab greys and browns of the stormy South Atlantic and barren landscapes are very important. No shiny bright greens and blues, wash out the saturation as much as practical.

A great example of this was the original EF2000 which did a very good Norwegian overcast. IL2 is a little too bright and primary colored (as are the screen shots of BofB).

Dull clag and low-down turbulence gets me much more excited than bright sunshine and smooth skies.

Great to see some news and an interview though, nice work guys!

Cheers, Spinner

Antec P183/CP-850|i5-750|Asus P7P55D|Asus ENGTS250-1Gb|4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 PC1600|OCZ Vertex|WD Caviar Black|HP LP2475W|Windows 7 Pro x64
#2746734 - 06/20/09 02:18 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: CHDT]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: CHDT
..I was much more impressed by the astonishing quality of the first in-game videos, two or three years ago..

And about the cockpit of the Sea Harrier, this level of details was quite correct a few years ago, but now, for an upcoming sim, it's no more enough, we need something at the level, at least of Lock-On. Also the Harrier model needs more polygons.

I hate to say it, but I agree. A few years back JT looked like a modern flight sim, but with the punishment of time it doesn't look as dazzling as it once did. Maybe you could release the code, let the community develop it, and when you can find a publisher, sell it. Just like they did with EECH2. Maybe even self publish?

Cheers

Last edited by AD; 06/20/09 02:35 PM.

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#2746767 - 06/20/09 03:35 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: AD]  
Syncerus Offline
Syncerus  Offline

I think the plane looks good enough, but the carrier is ugly. However, the only graphics issue I'd like to get fixed before initial release is the unrealistic bloom. IMO, it's better to concentrate on the campaign, bug hunting, multiplayer, physics, optimization, avionics, user interface etc. as the graphics aren't that bad. Additional graphics improvements can always be released in addons or patches later on, provided that your engine supports higher definition models and textures.

#2746939 - 06/20/09 09:53 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Syncerus]  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Originally Posted By: Syncerus
IMO, it's better to concentrate on the campaign, bug hunting, multiplayer, physics, optimization, avionics, user interface etc. as the graphics aren't that bad. Additional graphics improvements can always be released in addons or patches later on, provided that your engine supports higher definition models and textures.

Yup, this is exactly what we're doing now. All game development books tell that is better to have a very fun game playable with boxes and other abstract test stuff, than to have perfect spot-on models layed over a totally unplayable, buggy foundation. Graphics can be easily changed later. Our models are all 2005-2006ish now, but as History Channel tought they were good enough for a full lenght documentary(as aired this last week), we left them. But seeing Lock On: Black Shark and Rise of Flight, I agree that for a final release as an AAA title we must re-model them all in a higher polygon and texture detail.

One of the things that I personally think is very strange, is the green flight deck of the Argentinean carrier. Our argentinean experts are telling that it is like that, but I still can't get used to that color, because we're so used to grey carrier decks in the jet era. I remember reading some Oleg update or comment, in IL2 Forgotten Battles time, that they received the model of some new russian plane to be added to the game but they had to tone down the cockpit interior colors, because in russian fashion they were painted in full bright blue or lush green - in the final game after toning down the colors it ended looking more towards typical grey with a small tendency towards blue or green...

The shaders were just added, they're overdone indeed, specially the water specular. All to be tweaked and toned down. We're looking more for HDR type lighting and with this, any temporary bloom will be out (bloom is so 2005 isn't? smile

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#2750596 - 06/26/09 12:30 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Dante-JT]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone

as Cliff Bleszinski (famous game designer) said: "Game Development is mostly about figuring out what cool stuff you can do in a limited time period with limited cash." smile

Focus on the cool stuff WinkNGrin

I spend all day with a mouse in my hand. I don't want to come home and click on stuff.

#2757032 - 07/02/09 10:14 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: tagTaken2]  
scary_pigeon Offline
scary_pigeon  Offline

britain
i agree, i sometimes wonder if for artistic reasons the carrier should be made what the colour we expect it to be :-)

but then authenticity is important.

latest screenshots. got shaders for seas which we've been missing in the past.

#2757103 - 07/03/09 12:12 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: scary_pigeon]  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
I've prefer this one:

smile

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#2757230 - 07/03/09 04:23 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Dante-JT]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

nice, very nice

Fighterops...

#2757949 - 07/04/09 03:53 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Mmmm, I want to swim in that water.

#2764353 - 07/06/09 02:26 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Joe]  
AustinP Offline
AustinP  Offline

Nîmes, France
Would you have high-resolution versions of these pictures ? They would make a very fine wallpaper for my desktop...

#2764713 - 07/07/09 01:30 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: AustinP]  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
Babar89: I have mine in the resolution it was taken: 1280x800. Here it is (open image in new tab to get full size):

The other 2 were taken by scary_pigeon on his machine. Hopefully he will pop here in this forum and post them (after his birthday party, tomorrow, 7th July =)

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#2764980 - 07/07/09 09:58 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Dante-JT]  
AustinP Offline
AustinP  Offline

Nîmes, France
Thank you !

#2765190 - 07/07/09 02:19 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: AustinP]  
Syncerus Offline
Syncerus  Offline

What's that brown in the water? Rock? Can you actually see through water, or is that a bug or what?

#2765712 - 07/08/09 12:41 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Syncerus]  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
I know, it looks buggy / incomplete without the shorelines foam / splashy effect (a shader to be added /animated later)

but, shallow waters would be visible as such.

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#2765891 - 07/08/09 07:01 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Dante-JT]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Dante, I am looking forward to using the Mirage and Super Etendard. Do you have any pics, info or updates on how these are going or are these craft still work in progress?

Fighterops...

#2813527 - 07/08/09 11:33 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: bogusheadbox]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
^^ Dante to me it looks really good like that, really gives off that "warm, clear & inviting" look you see on postcards.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#2815968 - 07/12/09 12:56 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
AWL_Spinner Offline
AWL_Spinner  Offline

Vancouver, Canada
Quote:
really gives off that "warm, clear & inviting" look you see on postcards.

Unfortunately, it should really be giving off exactly the opposite impression: cold, dark, choppy and extremely uninviting. This is the South Atlantic, not "Battle for Midway"!

C'mon, show us some cloud. I want to REALLY have reservations about banging out of my Harrier!

(otherwise, great work smile )

Cheers, Spinner

Antec P183/CP-850|i5-750|Asus P7P55D|Asus ENGTS250-1Gb|4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 PC1600|OCZ Vertex|WD Caviar Black|HP LP2475W|Windows 7 Pro x64
#2816754 - 07/13/09 09:28 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: AWL_Spinner]  
Dante-JT Offline
Dante-JT  Offline

Florianópolis - Brazil
bogusheadbox: (specially Super Etendard) are awaiting a new avionics module code, current one unfortunately is too limited for anything more than an A-4B Skyhawk or Pucara.

AWL_Spinner: heh indeed. smile One of the code priorities for August is proper weather, this means a new clouds system and sky/time of day simulation. This has been largely overlooked because at first it seems like a "cosmetic" part of development, but I truely know that this is the heart of the immersion a flight sim set in the uninviting South Atlantic.

-----
Jet Thunder Project
#2817405 - 07/14/09 12:35 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Dante-JT]  
AWL_Spinner Offline
AWL_Spinner  Offline

Vancouver, Canada
Quote:
One of the code priorities for August is proper weather, this means a new clouds system and sky/time of day simulation. This has been largely overlooked because at first it seems like a "cosmetic" part of development, but I truely know that this is the heart of the immersion a flight sim set in the uninviting South Atlantic.

Fantastic, can't wait to see what you guys do with that!

I for one would be very interested to see a pitching carrier deck in bad visibility from a Harrier in the hover - would present some very interesting challenges especially if carrying damage or, as in several occasions during the war, if flying on fumes and having no fuel for a go-around.

And yes, environmental immersion is very much a key component: the season and it's weather played more than a bit-part in 1982.

Cheers!

Spinner

#2817651 - 07/14/09 09:07 AM Re: Interview - Update [Re: AWL_Spinner]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Thank you for the reply Dante

Fighterops...

#2823485 - 07/21/09 12:12 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: Dante-JT]  
I_Flyby Offline
I_Flyby  Offline

Ohio, USA
More pics please. I've already added this sim to my must-have list. Can't wait to slug it out in the South Atlantic! biggrin
Flyby out

The warrior creed: Crap happens to the other guy!
#2827521 - 07/26/09 11:54 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: I_Flyby]  
joey45 Offline
joey45  Offline

London UK
Originally Posted By: I_Flyby
More pics please. I've already added this sim to my must-have list. Can't wait to slug it out in the South Atlantic! biggrin
Flyby out

you'll be flying as the brits for a change.

DCS:World Sqd - 159th G.A.R
my pics - Tour
Team VRC - Texture artist
#2830500 - 07/30/09 12:17 PM Re: Interview - Update [Re: joey45]  
I_Flyby Offline
I_Flyby  Offline

Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: joey45
Originally Posted By: I_Flyby
Flyby out

you'll be flying as the brits for a change.

well, I'd fly campaigns for both sides: equal opportunity strike pilot here.
Flyby out

The warrior creed: Crap happens to the other guy!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.