Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2717346 - 05/03/09 03:03 AM Re: TrackIR 5 ***** [Re: TailFlamer]  
MajorMagee Offline
MajorMagee  Offline

Dayton, OH
I really like the look of the new software, but so far there's functionally no difference that I've been able to find.

Service To The Line,
On The Line,
On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2717863 - 05/04/09 10:40 AM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: MajorMagee]  
bud01 Offline
HQ Simulation in VR fan
bud01  Offline
HQ Simulation in VR fan

England UK, Herts

Clicky to chart comparing v4 and v5

What is the best way for UK simmers to purchase track ir v5 ?

#2717969 - 05/04/09 03:06 PM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: bud01]  
kramer Offline
Hotshot
kramer  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio
RC Simulations, near Bristol, is NaturalPoint's UK distributor for Track IR. their website shows that they are waiting for stock.

they list Track IR 5 for 124.95 GBP and 139.95 GBP for a bundle including the track clip pro.

http://www.rcsimulations.com/

sky-sim.co.uk is listed on the Naturalpoint website as being a dealer of track ir. they don't have the track ir 5 listed, but they probably get their stock from rc simulations.

http://www.sky-sim.co.uk/catalog/index.php

#2718020 - 05/04/09 04:08 PM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: MajorMagee]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Originally Posted By: MajorMagee
I really like the look of the new software, but so far there's functionally no difference that I've been able to find.
From viewing the video, it looks like it is much easier to see how your settings influence the range and extremes of motion of your virtual head, without starting a game.

#2718275 - 05/04/09 11:04 PM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: Joe]  
MajorMagee Offline
MajorMagee  Offline

Dayton, OH
I've taken a look at the profile xmls for both the v4 and v5 software, and the format is different, but the content seems to be about the same. BTW, You can run your old profiles in the new software.

The pano feature is nice, but I wish there was an easy way to make your own. The BOB II shot is fine, but I'd just like to be able to see how other types of sims look.

Service To The Line,
On The Line,
On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.
#2718385 - 05/05/09 04:27 AM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: MajorMagee]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Give it time. I am sure we will get some review units and then we can try them in a bunch of games. I am interested in seeing how it looks in BS, FSX and Aces High myself.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#2718444 - 05/05/09 12:03 PM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: Wklink]  
bud01 Offline
HQ Simulation in VR fan
bud01  Offline
HQ Simulation in VR fan

England UK, Herts

Would be possible to explain the harware used to get those amazing graphics.

I mean was a mid range system with a q6600 running at a reasonable overclocked, with a 9800gtx, or a 4870, or was it a i7 extream machine running with a gtx295?

Im in the possible of building a system and this game is a large factor.

The lighting affects and wow factor and behond any thing Ive seen yet.

Can the Author of the vid list what he thinks is a good system for this game? Or if others could give some input.

Still amazing at this vid some days later, totally blown away.

bud

#2719526 - 05/06/09 11:30 PM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: bud01]  
Dslyecxi Offline
Dslyecxi  Offline

Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: buddha01
Would be possible to explain the harware used to get those amazing graphics.

I mean was a mid range system with a q6600 running at a reasonable overclocked, with a 9800gtx, or a 4870, or was it a i7 extream machine running with a gtx295?

Im in the possible of building a system and this game is a large factor.

The lighting affects and wow factor and behond any thing Ive seen yet.

Can the Author of the vid list what he thinks is a good system for this game? Or if others could give some input.

Still amazing at this vid some days later, totally blown away.

bud

bud,

I have a quad core & 2.66GHz, not an i7, but the older type. Video card is a Geforce 285. I have 4GB of DDR3 RAM and run on WinXP.

Glad you liked the vid. smile

#2719538 - 05/06/09 11:49 PM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: MajorMagee]  
NaturalPoint_Vincent Offline
NaturalPoint_Vincent  Offline

Originally Posted By: MajorMagee
I've taken a look at the profile xmls for both the v4 and v5 software, and the format is different, but the content seems to be about the same. BTW, You can run your old profiles in the new software.

The pano feature is nice, but I wish there was an easy way to make your own. The BOB II shot is fine, but I'd just like to be able to see how other types of sims look.

We will look at including more views (panos), as we get them (create them)............

The A2A guys provided me with the basic images, so that is what I used for the first release of the software. As time permits I will look at grbabing more images, and converting them for inclusion in the software......

Last edited by NaturalPoint_Vincent; 05/06/09 11:52 PM.

Support@NaturalPoint.com
TrackIR - Put your head in the game
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/index.html
#2720613 - 05/08/09 06:56 PM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: NaturalPoint_Vincent]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I have an old TrackIR 3 with with the vector expansion, and decided to upgrade (from GoGamer through the banner ads at SimHQ, of course).

I just hooked it up yesterday, and while I haven't had a chance to use it much yet, I like it. It's not significantly different in how it works with what I've played on it, but it has a wider field of view and I don't move beyond it's range like I did on version 3. I can also put it on my monitor, where I had to put the version 3 on boxes stacked behind my monitor to get it far enough away to increase the field of view.

I didn't download the version 5 software because it was listed as still being in beta, but the 5 unit worked fine with the latest non-beta software.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#2720622 - 05/08/09 07:05 PM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: Arthonon]  
Dslyecxi Offline
Dslyecxi  Offline

Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: Arthonon
I didn't download the version 5 software because it was listed as still being in beta, but the 5 unit worked fine with the latest non-beta software.

I am almost positive that without the 5 software, you will not get the full benefit of the TIR5 (due to software enhancements re: tracking). Just because it's in "beta" should not stop you from downloading it - it's meant to work with the TIR5.

#2720945 - 05/09/09 12:34 PM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: Dslyecxi]  
D13th_Korn Offline
D13th_Korn  Offline

I saw this yesterday and i was totally impressed with the ammount of bs natural point is pushing. "sub-pixel resolution" and "reporting resolution". The problem is, subpixel actually means something, but what it means is not what it means in NP's dictionary, and that is nothing but bs.

This is not new with Natural Point, as they used this marketing bs before with their old "resolution doubling technology" with TrackIR 4, but this is taking it to new levels. I know is customary for cheap camera producers to list some <extrapolated resolution> in their crap products' specs, but they were decent compared to Natural Point. I mean, they did doubled or quadrupled the senzor hw resolution when reporting the <extrapolated res>, but that is nothing compared to this 6.7 MILLION megapixels Natural Point is reporting for TrackIR 5. Not just ridiculous, but insulting; i mean, you sell this to simmers (and not for a couple of bucks, mind you), which generally are a lot more technical savy then your average joe, the same guys who kept your business going for some years now, and go about trying bs them.

Not cool.

#2722516 - 05/11/09 10:34 PM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: D13th_Korn]  
NaturalPoint_Vincent Offline
NaturalPoint_Vincent  Offline

Im not sure what definition of sub-pixel you are refering to, or think we are refering to, but here is a basic understanding of what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-pixel_resolution

Support@NaturalPoint.com
TrackIR - Put your head in the game
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/index.html
#2722621 - 05/12/09 01:25 AM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: NaturalPoint_Vincent]  
D13th_Korn Offline
D13th_Korn  Offline

rofl, wikipedia, the ultimate technical reference.

If you're seriously implying that TIR5's sensor has 150 subpixels per pixel... rofl again

Let me point you to the source: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/trackir-product-comparison.html

Raw Sensor Resolution 640 x 480
Sub-pixel Resolution 1/150th pixel
Reporting Resolution 96,000 x 72,000
Horizontal Field of View 51.7°
Resolution/Horizontal Field of View Degree 1850 subpixels/degree

So let's check out the arithmetics here, shall we?

640 (pixels horizontal) * 150 (subpixels lol) = 96000
480 (vertical) * 150 = 72000
That gives us the "reporting resolution" of 96000 * 72000 = 6912000000 pixels = 6.912 million MP = 6.912 gigapixels
51.7 (degrees horizontal) * 1850 (subpixel / degree) = 95645 (these are the 96000 horizontal subpixels lol, of course this 1850 subpixel/degree number was not really needed since anyone can do the math, but can't hurt to bring in the many zeroes, right? bs marketing @ it's finest)

Let me quote from this popular Natural Point reference, wikipedia:

Quote:
Gigapixel image
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A gigapixel image is a digital image bitmap composed of one billion (10^9) pixels (picture elements), more than 150 times the information captured by a 6 megapixel digital camera. Current technology for creating such very high-resolution images involves making mosaics of a large number of high-resolution digital photographs, or uses a film negative as large as 9"×12" (23 cm×30 cm), which is then scanned with a high-end film scanner

Basically NP is implying that the TIR5 device is somehow capable of this astronomical 7 million MP "reporting" resolution, which is outrageous. Obviously a USB2 (or even USB3 for that matter) device is far from capable of sustaining such an enormous transfer of data, even if TIR5 streams monochrome (it probably does, and it should).

Obviously, the TIR5 couldn't possibly have this kind of resolutions, nevermind "reporting" it lol. Not unless they brought the device from the future, and when you plug it into your pc it magically converts your USB2.0 ports into USB10.0 biggrin.

So what is this mythical 7GP "reporting resolution"? Well, marketing bs. Yes, we might hear from NP_Vincent again (sorry mate, nothing personal) and he might tell us how this number was carrefully calculated and it actually represents some kind of interpolation made by the software. But what it really is is marketing bs.

Let me tell you how this went down:
Marketing NP dude comes to technical NP dude:
- so, how's the TIR5 coming along? we really need to show our potential customers that they need to buy it, how it's much better than the TIR4 so they must upgrade.
- well, it's got a slightly wider angle of view, and this time we use a full VGA res senzor, plus we got a better construction concept.
- great! but i think we should make it, you know, sound more impressive! how about, you know, i saw this thing they got going with "extrapolated resolution", i thought that was very smart, you know, really great marketing.
- but that's not right, that's just software extrapolation, doesn't really say anything about the product's specs and...
- fantastic! i'm glad you agree! now let see, we want to be creative, right, so we're not going to call it "extrapolated", how about "reported", yeah, great, and since it's an extrapolation (ha! ha!) of this brilliant marketing concept i say we should go strong on this and multiply our hardware resolution not by two, but by one thousand! no, wait, why go small, we multiply it by 300000 times! Yeah! you go now and make up some technical terms, yes, that's a good boy.

#2722666 - 05/12/09 03:40 AM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: D13th_Korn]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Axe to grind, eh?

#2723343 - 05/12/09 09:28 PM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: LukeFF]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I have no idea how the TrackIR works, but when reading about transferring all that data across USB, it made me wonder if that is even necessary.

The sensor could have a very fine resolution to detect small amounts of movement, but it may only have to transmit some coordinates or something to the PC to represent the motion amount and direction. It wouldn't be sending much data at all if it worked like that. Kind of like a mouse - I don't believe that they send an entire screen resolution's worth of data when you move them, just speed and direction.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#2723514 - 05/13/09 02:31 AM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: Dslyecxi]  
SpyDoc Offline
SpyDoc  Offline

Central USA
Dslyecxi, That's an amazing vid with a quad 2.66. Goes to show you also how important the video card is--even with a medium quad cpu you are getting great use out of that 285!

Incredible. Points to the fact that it's good to get the best video card you can afford even if your cpu is mid grade.

Thanks for the info!

SpyDoc out cool

My new DigitalStormOnline system:
i5-2500K--8GB Ram--AMD Radeon 6950
Win7--MOMO--MS FFB2--TIR5--27.5" Hanns-G
#2723553 - 05/13/09 03:27 AM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: SpyDoc]  
Dslyecxi Offline
Dslyecxi  Offline

Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: SpyDoc
Dslyecxi, That's an amazing vid with a quad 2.66. Goes to show you also how important the video card is--even with a medium quad cpu you are getting great use out of that 285!

Incredible. Points to the fact that it's good to get the best video card you can afford even if your cpu is mid grade.

Thanks for the info!

Glad you liked it. I didn't realize it was a mid-grade CPU at this point. Shows how much I keep track of CPU details these days. wink

Regarding the whole "reporting resolution" etc stuff - I'm not big on tech specs (surprise!) myself, I'm much more interested in the results. The results I get are described in the video, of course. I like it, it's an improvement to me - can't really say much more than that (ok, I can say more than that, but I already did, in video form..). Several people in my group have already picked theirs up, and they're reporting similar. That's the best I can give you. I'm not techy enough to critique or even really comment on the cited specs of the TIR5, but I am comfortable with saying that it's better than a TIR4, based on a good deal of personal experience. That's all I can really offer you. smile

#2724889 - 05/15/09 12:03 AM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: D13th_Korn]  
NaturalPoint_Seth Offline
NP Marketing Manager
NaturalPoint_Seth  Offline
NP Marketing Manager

Originally Posted By: D13-th_Korn

TrackIR 5 does have the raw and reporting resolution we claim—otherwise we would not claim it. We respect our customers and are not misleading them with our marketing. Our measurements are based on engineering and physical testing.

Reporting resolution is not the same as raw sensor resolution, so we’re not implying that TrackIR 5 is a gigapixel camera. Neither are our numbers the result of software interpolation. In fact, TrackIR is not even a “camera” in the way you are describing, and its function is different than standard camera imaging. We’re not out to capture what an image looks like. We’re looking for the location of marker centroids.

When we describe sub-pixel resolution, we are defining how accurately we can discern the center of the marker in terms of pixels. It is a unit of measurement. Although our raw sensor size is 640 x 480, TrackIR 5 can actually measure movement that is much smaller than a pixel—as small as 1/150th of a pixel. Spread that across 640 pixels and what do you get? A range of 96,000 detectable object locations.

That’s not the same as saying that we have a 6 gigapixel camera. If you have a ruler with 12 inches on it, and you measure an object that falls in between the inch marks, accurate measurement requires sub-inch units. The principle is the same with our grayscale image processing. The center of a marker usually lies between two adjacent pixel locations. We use sub-pixel analysis to accurately find that center down to 1/150th of a pixel's accuracy. Clearly we do not transmit the entire image. The entire benefit of having a TrackIR is that we make a custom, purpose-built product for tracking markers. It processes the image on-board at 120 FPS, which is a very large amount of data, and then only transmits the relevant information to the PC. Thus, there is very little load on the PC.

Consumer digital cameras used for photography sometimes use sub-pixel resolution when creating a viewable image, in which case adjacent pixels may be interpolated. That is not what we are doing—we have a grayscale imager, and we don’t use a Bayer pattern. Rather, we are describing how our new processing has advanced the effective resolution of finding a marker and reporting its center to the software. There are many ways to do this, and our method has achieved the resolution we report.

If you don't believe our figures, please feel free to test them yourself with our free OptiTrack SDK and a micrometer.

NP Marketing Manager
seth @ naturalpoint . com
#2725607 - 05/16/09 12:03 AM Re: TrackIR 5 [Re: bud01]  
Shado Offline
Shado  Offline

Jersey , Channel islands ,UK
Hi all

After looking around for a good price on the trackir5 Pro in th UK I managed to get a good price on eBay of all places £105 + £16.00 p+p, from the US, there are more from the seller, here.

Ebay

This is my first dive into trackIR territory what with Arma2, rise of flight and maybe even SOW making an appearance this millennium it looks like it's a must have, plus it givwes me a chance to dust off some of the older games.

Last edited by Shado; 05/16/09 12:17 AM.

If life is one big joke.......I just don't get it
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.