Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2722637 - 05/12/09 02:06 AM Must have mods?  
Grunt0331 Offline
Grunt0331  Offline

What are the "must have" mods and add-ons out there?

I'm talking unit skins, weapons, vehicles and SP missions.

Thanks!

de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2722688 - 05/12/09 04:38 AM Re: Must have mods? [Re: Grunt0331]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
well, right now the one I'd say is a must is the HiFi Novus Aevum sound mod...some of the best weapon/explosion sounds I've heard. The vehicle sounds are kinda weak; but it's modular so you can remove the vehicles sound .pbo and use another sound mod.

Other "must have's":

Enhanced Combat Environment - Adds a lot of ambiance to ArmA...birds chirping, wolves howling, insects buzzing, etc. Also has a really nice fog effect. Also changes AI behavior so they run from grenades, use grenades more, and will re-man MG's or towers if the operator gets killed.

TrueMods - changes the game GUI to something a lot more streamlined and sleek...no giant reticules or menus. Fully customizable if you don't like a particular feature.

Z_guba's model fix - If you have a GeForce gfx card; you might get the Javelin bug (you get crazy texture lines shooting out from anyone who is carrying the launcher). This fixes it

ArmA Effects or JTD Smoke effects - Changes the look (not sound) of explosions, particles, and smoke. I'm a little more partial to ArmAEffects; but both are really good.

Sixth Sense tracers - Changes the default tracers to something a lot better. They even cast light on the ground/objects at night and looks really good (you can see them in the ArmA MM screenshot threads).

Proper plants Autumn) - also available with Kegetys lowplants, and/or "stock" colors
"1. Przemek kondor beautiful Autumn plants

2. AI view is blocked by the tree/bush object (better)
Check Durg's (AI View) Vegetation Fix for details and screens.

3. Ability to hide in bushes
(by removing all geometry points)

4. To run over trees without resistance with the heavy tanks
(by setting overall geometry mass to 200)
(unfortunately no 'groan' sound event possible like in OFP)
That makes mowing down loads of trees again.
Speed reduction still applied for smaller vehicles.
ACE Island Pack will feature separate tree models for the forest
that will slow down even heavy armor.

5. Ugly white / bright shader (OLD / GONE) removed by kegyets lowplants software"

I also have:
Modul_sky replacement - changes the vanilla sky to something more photo-realistic.
Italian soldiers replacement - The best looking camo pattern that I've found for ArmA's scenery

Proper weaponcollision - changes the collision on your rifles so you can hug walls and go thru buildings without getting stuck (makes CQC a lot better)

Andy_Mags - changes the default 'bag' model when you drop ammo with models that actually represent the ammo dropped (i.e. 30-round AK mag looks like the real thing)

Sky and Weapon replacements - I don't use the sky cause I already use modul's; but this replaces every weapon with better looking models from various weapon packs. Also adds animations so you can see the bolt move when firing, and the covers on LMG flip up when reloading.

ugghhh...i think that's most of them lol. I think you can find all of these at www.armaholic.com or on the BIS forums. Really it's just personal preference; so you'll have to do some testing to see if they work for you. There's a few campaigns and singleplayer missions that are really good; but most require a ton of addons to DL and install and I don't feel like doing that. But if you're up to it, they're all over at armaholic also

#2723692 - 05/13/09 10:20 AM Re: Must have mods? [Re: JoeyJoJo]  
franx Offline
Impersonal pronoun
franx  Offline
Impersonal pronoun

Philadelphia
I've gotten completely addicted to the Avgani 1.5 and Afghanistan 1.0 maps by Opterx, used with the Lost Brothers Taliban pack.

Also occasionally use the Real Time Editor mod, ECS, ACE, etc.

#2726742 - 05/18/09 06:39 AM Re: Must have mods? [Re: franx]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
As far as units go :

-Johnny's Marines (Desert/Woodland/Nomex) to replace the Warfare USMC units.
-Johnny's SpecialForces (Desert/Woodland/ACU) to replace the SF guys.
-1st Ifantry Division ACU (by ?????) to replace BLUFOR infantry.
-46th VDV and Spetznatz (Studio Alpha) to replace the OPFOR guys.

Weapons :

-AMP's desert weapons pack, which has an option to replace all aimpoints with EoTech sights. Adds sights to the M-249 as well.

Anything goes really, but those are the ones most people use as they are some of the best available. The only units left 'unchanged' in my current install are the light vehicles, civilians and some aircraft. Resistance are either British, German or Italian soldiers (depending on whim of the moment biggrin ) and I have sets for different time periods from 1985 to 2008, so really anything's possible biggrin

Cheers

Nico

"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.