Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2717714 - 05/04/09 12:30 AM Man On Fire  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
So I watched this movie tonight on bluray (I'm still amazed how good bluray looks) and I'm not ashamed to say that I cried quite a bit during the final 5 minutes or so of the film. I mean, is there anything Denzel Washington has done that wasn't good?? I've always been amazed at his talent and how he "becomes" the role and always seems so convincing.

I also was impressed with how good Marc Anthony was. Who would have thought a Latin pop star could be so good in acting? biggrin

You often hear about how two actors in a tv show or movie will have that amazing chemistry or "lightning in a bottle" if you will. Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning definitely had that.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2717720 - 05/04/09 12:49 AM Re: Man On Fire [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
Never seen the movie, but Denzel Washington is a fine actor!

#2717748 - 05/04/09 01:53 AM Re: Man On Fire [Re: piper]  
Moses Offline
I have a Rather Large
Moses  Offline
I have a Rather Large

Tulsa, Ok, USA
One of the best movies I have watched. Im also a big fan of Deja Vu

Jeff "Moses" Malone
Proud Member of 195th Dambusters Virtual Squadron.
http://561stbms.enjin.com/
#2717762 - 05/04/09 02:31 AM Re: Man On Fire [Re: Moses]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I rate Deja Vu up there with The Usual Suspects for the surprise ending factor.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#2717834 - 05/04/09 07:24 AM Re: Man On Fire [Re: NH2112]  
Axel40 Offline
Axel40  Offline

London
I liked this movie a lot.

I'm a BIG movie watcher, it's a part of our routine. We invested in a HD PJ, 106" screen etc.
Yea, that's how big we are into it WinkNGrin

Man on Fire is so good on Blu, some of the PQ in certain scenes is almost 3D. I'd never seen it before so the torture scene in the Car, in high def was all the more...erm, interesting.

Denzil was great as usual, probably the best he's been in a movie.

Have you watched Training Day? He's superb in that.

"Anti Aircraft fire is...very dangerous."
Eddie Rickenbacker 2009
#2717846 - 05/04/09 09:18 AM Re: Man On Fire [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
So I watched this movie tonight on bluray (I'm still amazed how good bluray looks) and I'm not ashamed to say that I cried quite a bit during the final 5 minutes or so of the film. I mean, is there anything Denzel Washington has done that wasn't good?? I've always been amazed at his talent and how he "becomes" the role and always seems so convincing.

I also was impressed with how good Marc Anthony was. Who would have thought a Latin pop star could be so good in acting? biggrin

You often hear about how two actors in a tv show or movie will have that amazing chemistry or "lightning in a bottle" if you will. Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning definitely had that.

Was this the first time you watched it, or have you seen it before? smile
It's a fantastic movie! And so is Deja Vu. I totally agree with you about Denzel Washington, he's great in everything he does!

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#2717876 - 05/04/09 11:28 AM Re: Man On Fire [Re: semmern]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Yes semmern this was the first time I've watched it. I forgot to say that Chris Walken was his usual great self as well! I couldn't help but laugh when Creasy blew up the nightclub and all the ravers outside were cheering and dancing. WTF?
Axel, Training Day is indeed a good film and Denzel was outstanding.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#2717902 - 05/04/09 01:03 PM Re: Man On Fire [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Yes semmern this was the first time I've watched it. I forgot to say that Chris Walken was his usual great self as well! I couldn't help but laugh when Creasy blew up the nightclub and all the ravers outside were cheering and dancing. WTF?
Axel, Training Day is indeed a good film and Denzel was outstanding.

Haha, "Training Day". I love the line, what was it, "M*thaf*cking King Kong don't have NOTHING on me."

Denzel rocks in everything I've seen him in. "Deja Vu" is good, I actually watched that again last weekend (I own it). I remember first seeing him in 1990 in "Glory"--he deserved his Oscar for that! I also especially liked his acting opposite Gene Hackman (who also was great) in "Crimson Tide."

v6,
boNes

PS I however, cannot stand Dakota Fanning. Yuck. She's annoying.

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#2717907 - 05/04/09 01:15 PM Re: Man On Fire [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: bones

PS I however, cannot stand Dakota Fanning. Yuck. She's annoying.

I thought she was annoying in "War of the Worlds" because of the constant yelping and screaming but I thought she was very good in "Man On Fire". I have no doubt about her talent. While "Crimson Tide" was a bit overly dramatic at times, Hackman and Washington were both excellent!

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/04/09 01:16 PM.

#2717978 - 05/04/09 03:14 PM Re: Man On Fire [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Panzermeyer, you mentioned about Denzel "becoming" the role . . . there is something that strongly resonates with me when Denzel first appears in Man on Fire. He is sitting in the back of a vehicle (taxi?) and already I feel like I am looking at a tortured soul. I'm not a tortured soul nor am I an ex Navy Seal, but from the moment Denzel appears I am drawn in.

Other great things about this movie:
1) Music. Even the melancholy "Claire de Lune" that Pita plays on the piano at one point seems to form a connection of kindred spirits between her and Creasy.

2) The camera work and editing.

3) Tony Scott!

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#2717987 - 05/04/09 03:22 PM Re: Man On Fire [Re: letterboy1]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
This was a great movie, I also liked the one where Denzil was the "mafia" bringing crack from Vietnam and Russell Crowe was the cop I believe.

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#2718024 - 05/04/09 04:16 PM Re: Man On Fire [Re: Top Gun]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Top Gun
I also liked the one where Denzil was the "mafia" bringing crack from Vietnam and Russell Crowe was the cop I believe.

As yes, that's "American Gangster" directed by the other Scott, Ridley. smile

#2718033 - 05/04/09 04:25 PM Re: Man On Fire [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Boilerplate* Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Boilerplate*  Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Hotshot

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Top Gun
I also liked the one where Denzil was the "mafia" bringing crack from Vietnam and Russell Crowe was the cop I believe.

As yes, that's "American Gangster" directed by the other Scott, Ridley. smile

I just saw that a month or so ago. Different role for Washington I would say... conversely, I just saw Crowe playing a bandit in "3:10 to Yuma" the other night. (isn't that a remake?)

It's a Game. smile
#2718036 - 05/04/09 04:31 PM Re: Man On Fire [Re: Boilerplate*]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Boilerplate*

I just saw that a month or so ago. Different role for Washington I would say... conversely, I just saw Crowe playing a bandit in "3:10 to Yuma" the other night. (isn't that a remake?)

Yes, it is a remake of the 1957 original. I think "Training Day" was the first time I saw Denzel play a villain. Not only was I very surprised to see him take on a "bad guy" role but I was also amazed by his great performance.

#2718078 - 05/04/09 05:50 PM Re: Man On Fire [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Sockeye_00 Offline
Sockeye_00  Offline

Toronto, Canada
Enjoyed "American Gangster" here, especially the raid on the apartment building towards the end. With "Training Day" I could go either way depending on the mood I'm in, but that has to do with what's-his-name from "White Fang".

Gotta say that my favourite movie with Denzel is a toss-up between "Glory" and "Ricochet". "Glory" you all know, but "Ricochet" maybe not so much--the maniacal criminal genius John Lithgow is sent to prison by Washington (I think he was the local district attorney); Lithgow gets in with the white supremacists while in prison; blah, blah, blah; once out, Lithgow goes about destroying Washington's life as part of a revenge scheme; Washington turns to his street connections (Ice-T and crew) to "ricochet" Lithgow's plan back on 'im. Usually it's a movie that's on at three in the morning, but I'm a sucker for those flicks.

Kinda like some Bruce Willis movies... I just love "Striking Distance", where Willis is a maverick cop put on river patrol to get him out of the way. That is, until the serial killer who killed Willis's father returns and starts dumping bodies in the river, bodies of women who Willis has some connection with. Sarah Jessica Parker, the father from "Fraiser", Dennis Farina and Tom Sizemore co-star.

#2718083 - 05/04/09 05:56 PM Re: Man On Fire [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
"Glory" is a masterpiece but I have never seen "Richochet". I watched "Striking Distance" once and thought it was a decent yet forgettable film.

#2718089 - 05/04/09 06:02 PM Re: Man On Fire [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Sockeye_00 Offline
Sockeye_00  Offline

Toronto, Canada
Oh, I totally agree that "Striking Distance" is a crappy movie. From time to time, I draw particular pleasure from the flops; a guilty pleasure of mine biggrin

#2718094 - 05/04/09 06:14 PM Re: Man On Fire [Re: Sockeye_00]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Dakota Fanning was annoying in "War of the Worlds" yes for the yelping and all. But I also found her annoying in "Mon on Fire" because it is unrealistic to me that a girl of that age would be acting all grown-up quoting kidnap statistics to a man she had just met. It's the unrealistic character and her acting it in the movie that bugs me.

Getting back to Denzel....I also really really loved his performance in "Courage Under Fire." Meg Ryan did really well in that movie too.

He's also a class act from what I understand. My brother's gf had lunch with him once while he was filming "The Inside Man" and she concurred.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#2718096 - 05/04/09 06:19 PM Re: Man On Fire [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

He's also a class act from what I understand. My brother's gf had lunch with him once while he was filming "The Inside Man" and she concurred.

v6,
boNes

Very cool story Bones. Is she involved in the movie business in some way?

#2718100 - 05/04/09 06:23 PM Re: Man On Fire [Re: bones]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME

He's also a class act from what I understand.

v6,
boNes

This doesn't have the sensationalism of what most people heard or read, but it still shows the kind of guy Denzel Washington is.

ETA: Brooke Army Medical Center is the home of the Army Burn Center.

Last edited by NH2112; 05/05/09 04:25 PM.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.