Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2710267 - 04/17/09 11:26 PM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
I've seen the movie No Country For Old Men. Leave the briefcase well alone and leave as fast as possible wink.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2710287 - 04/18/09 12:26 AM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: Paul Rix]  
kadiir Offline
kadiir  Offline

**** SPOILER ALERT *****

Click to reveal..
Nah, the message from NCFOM is take the money and leave the case & hidden transmitter and then lie low (i.e., don't spend it) for a while (a year or more) smile

#2710307 - 04/18/09 01:19 AM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Vulgarity Offline
Vulgarity  Offline

Originally Posted By: Blade_RJ
why would you move vulgarity ? how can they trace you on cash ? how does buying stuff on cash works on usa ? here i just pay up the money, get the goods and no link to me is ever done. all they would know is where the money was expent and on what.

The first, and possibly most important reason would be in case ANYONE saw me grabbing that cash. It wouldn't matter if it was members of a drug cartel who the money "rightfully" belonged to or a completely random person - you get seen with that kind of load and you've got good odds of trouble coming your way, and fast...

Beyond that, I'd be wanting to keep that money a HUGE secret. Imagine winning a few million in the lottery - even though THAT money would be safely locked away you still wouldn't want to tell everyone about it, in my case I probably wouldn't even tell anyone in my family except my mother.

Now imagine having a few million in CASH in your custody, and you can't drop it in even a bank account...

Can we say "biggest secret in your life"?

I would slowly, over time, end up investing a good chunk of that money, but the raw fact of the matter is most of it would simply have to either be spent, or physically stashed. So one of my near term objectives would be to convert a decent chunk that cash into tangible assets that don't necessarily have my name associated with them (at least not with any kind of public paper trail), and that don't depreciate. Maybe collector type items...

Of course since a proper investment plan wouldn't be in the cards I'd go ahead and SPEND quite a bit of the money as well - not a majority or anything, but better to spend it and enjoy than keep toting all that cash...

Now a sudden upgrade of lifestyle like this would be quite obvious to the people in my life - I may trust my friends, but I trust NOBODY to know I've got a few million in CASH.

Nope, I'd somewhat disappear for a while until I had quite a bit of time to come up with plans for safeguarding, "investment", and explanations...

#2710316 - 04/18/09 01:41 AM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: Vulgarity]  
Dick Dastardly Offline
I Don't Care Bear
Dick Dastardly  Offline
I Don't Care Bear

Earth
"I'll tell you what I'd do, man. Two chicks at the same time."

Suicide is man's way of telling god "You can't fire me, I quit!"
#2710321 - 04/18/09 01:54 AM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: Paul Rix]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Anybody ever see the movie "A simple plan"? It starred Billy Bob Thorton, Bill Paxton, and Bridget Fonda and was about almost this exact situation. Thorton and Paxton play as brothers living in a small town in Wisconsin or Minnesota. It is winter time with snow on the ground and they are out hunting with a friend They come upon a downed private plane in the woods and find a container with 4 million in it. The plane has been there for some time since it's occupant's body is quite decayed and it appears that nobody has been searching for it, or the money.

They come up with the plan to simply haul it home and sit on it for a time until they can figure out if it is safe, and figure out how start using the money without being obvious. Fonda plays Paxton's wife and of course she is brought in on the find. As one might guess the simple plan goes awry due to distrust and a series disastrous plot twists. It's one of those depressing movies that you know everything is going to end badly, but you can't stop watching because you become so fascinated with the twisting inevitable paths to destruction all the main players take.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#2710362 - 04/19/09 02:07 AM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: Forward Observer]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA

Keep it, Friendo. hahaha

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#2710373 - 04/19/09 02:30 AM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: shan2]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I wonder how you suppress a shotgun? confused

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#2710397 - 04/19/09 03:53 AM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: NH2112]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Same way you suppress a Stengun. It's been done. Two totally different ways actually, one based on the suppressor design, the other is entirely up to the ammo and not any suppressor at all (done for Vietnam Tunnel Rats). They aren't all THAT practical for normal real world, they are big heavy and don't do that much to quiet them, but they do work.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#2710466 - 04/19/09 10:48 AM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: Rick.50cal]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I just don't see how you can get any sound suppression using buckshot. The wad doesn't seem like it'd be much of a seal and the shot itself sure won't do any sealing. Suppressing a slug seems feasible since for all intents & purposes it's just a big bullet. I have seen a suppressed shotgun shell design that looked interesting, basically the powder charge pushed on a piston/shot cup which was kept from leaving the shell by a flange around the inside of the shell's mouth.

Last edited by NH2112; 04/19/09 11:44 AM.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#2710487 - 04/19/09 01:07 PM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Billzilla Offline
Billzilla  Offline

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Reminds me of "No country for old men - one of the best movies I've ever seen

But yes, I'd take it and be outa there sooooooo fast. And I'd check to see if the case has a tracker beacon in it.

Out of ammo
Out of energy
Out of ideas
Down to harsh language
#2710491 - 04/19/09 01:35 PM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: Billzilla]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
I find in Texas? I call it in and leave it the hell alone.

Because sooner or later, the Mexican drug gang that left it there is going to ask for it back. They don't have a habit of asking nicely.

pfunk

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#2710496 - 04/19/09 01:47 PM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: PFunk]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
You could always leave an IOU in the case for any money you take out...

Seriously though, I live in Arizona and if I were to find that kind of cash I'd have a pretty good idea of who the owners were.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2710671 - 04/19/09 08:30 PM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: NH2112]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: NH2112
I just don't see how you can get any sound suppression using buckshot. The wad doesn't seem like it'd be much of a seal and the shot itself sure won't do any sealing. Suppressing a slug seems feasible since for all intents & purposes it's just a big bullet.

You need to think of earlier suppressed wpns, where the suppressor was sleeved over top the barrel, and the barrel was ported.

But as I said, it doesn't quiet a shotgun all that well.

Originally Posted By: NH2112

I have seen a suppressed shotgun shell design that looked interesting, basically the powder charge pushed on a piston/shot cup which was kept from leaving the shell by a flange around the inside of the shell's mouth.

Yea, that's the Vietnam era one I alluded to, used for clearing tunnels. These days HK and the Ruskies are the only publicly known manufacturers of this tech. A similar technical concept, but that looked drastically different, was made for WW2, but that involved a giant dart, and no shotgun.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#2710711 - 04/19/09 10:38 PM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: Forward Observer]  
WWPierre Offline
WWPierre  Offline

Squamish B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Forward Observer
Anybody ever see the movie "A simple plan"? It starred Billy Bob Thorton, Bill Paxton, and Bridget Fonda and was about almost this exact situation.

Bringing the thread back to it's original subject, then going off on another tangent.....

Speaking of BB Thornton

Comment here

Last edited by WWPierre; 04/19/09 10:43 PM.

The future isn't what it used to be.
#2710724 - 04/19/09 11:01 PM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: WWPierre]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I heard part of that interview on a radio program, and the first thing that came to mind was Billy Bob has an awfully inflated opinion of his music if he's comparing himself to Tom Petty! I bet he didn't mind capitalizing on his name and actor status when he was working out a record deal.

Phil

#2710727 - 04/19/09 11:05 PM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: Rick.50cal]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted By: Rick.50cal
You need to think of earlier suppressed wpns, where the suppressor was sleeved over top the barrel, and the barrel was ported.

But as I said, it doesn't quiet a shotgun all that well.

That's what I ended up thinking of because I just couldn't see ANY suppression going on with a "screw-on" can. But I didn't think the ported barrel design would really do anything either, besides reduce the velocity of the shot column to about that of an airsoft gun.

Phil

#2710807 - 04/20/09 03:20 AM Re: ultimate interesting life situation - You find a massive briefcase of cash. [Re: NH2112]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Well, not to get too in depth and off topic, it's all about how many ports there are. Also, it's worth considering that the velocity isn't likely to change much, since in shotguns and rifles, most of the velocity/powder burn occurs from the first 8 inches of barrel, not later on. It's rifles that take advantage of very long barrels and get compromised by shorter ones, because they use an awful lot more powder.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.