Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2563426 - 08/06/08 04:22 AM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: Shredward]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

Found the game on sale for $5 (CFS3) The only reason i bought it was to play this. \:D

Getting late so i'll set it up later, but i'll be posting screenies probably.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2595962 - 09/29/08 06:48 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: Stormtrooper]  
Global_Explorer Offline
Global_Explorer  Offline

I just installed Phase 2 and I cannot run the game on a Core2 any more.

I get "cannot load mission" every time.

I installed only OFF 1.0, OFF Videos and OFF 1.9 + 1.9 hotfix. XP is a virgin, SP3 is installed. I did not install the skins which I dont have anymore. I though they were optional?

Other details: German XP, SP3, Regional set to English (USA). I already installed msstdfm.dll.

Pretty frightening if installation doesnt run at all, though for a freeware mod it's acceptable. But this must get 10x better for the pay addon or the makers will be in deep trouble. I will wait until I have positive report that the installation process is working differently next time.

EDIT: It seems to run now, maybe because I hadnt rebooted often enough or because I had to create a new pilot after the change of language, who knows ..

Last edited by Global_Explorer; 09/29/08 06:59 PM.
#2595997 - 09/29/08 07:19 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: Global_Explorer]  
Cameljockey Offline
Cameljockey  Offline

Hampton, SC USA
It seems that CFS3 has an issue with dual core CPUs. Have you tried the dual core optimizer? (that's what AMD calls it) There is a similar fix for Intel dual cores also. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you.

CJ

NZXT Guardian 921 RB Case
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W PSU
ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVDRW Drive
ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Mainboard
Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz
DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm Lucifer V2 CPU Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Kingston 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal SSD
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI E 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
#2596001 - 09/29/08 07:24 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: Cameljockey]  
Global_Explorer Offline
Global_Explorer  Offline

Thank you but that was not the problem. I might run into problems later but the game runs on C2. It was just that I got "could not load mission" every time because some language / pilot setting was not working. Thanks!

EDIT: It seems the problem was definitely related to the language setting again. On a non-english OS you must have it set to English (USA), reboot, create a new pilot (?). From my experience in programming it could have to do with decimal numbers (english use dot, many eruopeans use comma), or some other sign. In some ways this is Microsofts fault, but in the end it must be handled by the programmer, that's actually why my programs are always internally set to either English or Locale Free, we had a lot of trouble with decimal points before that.

Last edited by Global_Explorer; 09/30/08 12:27 PM.
#2684665 - 03/04/09 12:29 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: Global_Explorer]  
Gremlin_WoH Offline
Wings Of Honor
Gremlin_WoH  Offline
Wings Of Honor

Germany
The Official Over Flanders Fields Forum has moved temporarily to:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showforum=206

Gremlin_WoH

Wings Of Honor - Where Combat Simulation Begins!
Your W.W.I Flight Sim Resource: News, Forums, Links, Downloads ...
#2684825 - 03/04/09 03:52 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: Gremlin_WoH]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

...or you could stay here and talk about the same thing wink

OFF members do visit these boards also.

#2692895 - 03/17/09 06:52 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: Stormtrooper]  
LE Heureux Offline
Red Baron ESC 124
LE Heureux  Offline
Red Baron ESC 124

NE Colorado USA
Salut all,
I'm happy to report I flew my first campaign mission last night after a marathon session with my dad trying to figure out how the various cfs3 commands work and how to "put them together" to be able to fly with some semblance of the skill set I learned in Red Baron 3d.

It took quite a while to figure out that I could use the tab key and then tilde key to padlock a bogie and snap from the padlock to guns view (and back). That's how I do it in RB, where numpad slash momentarily helps me orient without breaking padlock, which I find essential to keeping track of a bogie. That CFS3 targeting cone stinks - it's like a bird dog pointing where the bogie is without knowing what the bogie is up to so you can anticipate his next move.

I'm sure trackIR will be great but I'm upgrading a PC (GPU, RAM & CPU) and buying USB CH gear, so cash flow is an issue for a while. Happily I got my gameport CH pedals to work via a USB converter, saving myself about $70 bucks.

Has anyone written a primer on how to use the commands in OFF (or CFS3, I suppose)? I haven't figured out how to find wingmen the way <tab> finds bogies and I don't want to use invisible cockpit. Formation flying is a real challenge without some way to keep them in view. I can deal with sight obstruction caused by my own plane - in fact it helps me stay oriented some. The problem is the lack of a way to readily find what I'm looking for and (again) padlock it if needed. Snap view is fine for routine flying and landing, but scroll view is awkward without TrackIR.

FWIW, I have found what may be the bare minimum system requirements:
Celeron D 2.53
2 Mb RAM
GeForce 9400 GT PCI video card

Frame rates are low even with sliders at 1 or 2, but it's still prettier than Red Baron. I have a Northwood Pentium 4 3.2 on the the way, which I hope will improve things considerably with both a clock speed increase and an 800 fsb instead of the Celeron's 533 fsb. I realize it would easier and maybe even cheaper to just buy a new PC but that's not really an option and it has been fun learning to rebuild my PC. Much easier than I thought.

Hex

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Hex
#2693012 - 03/17/09 09:57 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: LE Heureux]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Narsinha
Unregistered

Hello LeHeureux, S!
good to see you, i take it you are the Heureux from the RB3d forums ? :-).

The pre-programmed keys from MS's CFS3 are a chore, you have to be an octopus at least to decrease engine mixture via 3 keys in the middle of a dogfight lol.

Biggest change from RB is the panning exterior view with the coolie hat, instead of pressing a joystick button, and then move the stick. There was a mod from LaserGabi (?) to use the mouse in RB3d, but unfortunately THIS does not work in OFF - yet.
From within the plane the coolie hat lets you see in all directions (like the arrow keys at the number pad), with instant coming back to forward when releasing the "hat". If you want a view to stay, press "scroll" so that the light on your keyboard (scroll lock) is on, that way the view you chose stays when releasing the hat. You can accelerate the speed of panning from the cockpit, in changing the number in a file - don't know which it was now - anyone ?
As well you can move up, down, forward and backward in the cockpit, and sideways with the appropriate key commands. Then there is Track-IR, so if you move your head the tracker will display the part of your plane you look at, so no need for the Arrows or coolie hat any more.

The key commands:
Press "Esc" when in Quick flight, mission or campaign screen, and a menu will appear - click at controls and a new window with the key commands will appear. Here you can look for each command and what it does, and as well edit it to your liking - indeed every key command can be programmed to what you like - i switched all this to the RedBaron commands/controls since i am used to it wink

All control commands are stored in the "mine.xca" file, residing in the main OFF directory or so i think. You can change anything you like, BUT: Do NOT - NEVER change the following key commands: "Ctrl-Shift-E and Ctrl-Shift-R" !! Those commands accelerate and decelerate the time in game, and once changed to something else you will not be able to get this time functions back, without a complete new install of the sim.

As an example: I use F1 for cockpit forward view, F2 for exterior view, F3 for following/chase view, F8 for observer station, F12 for bomb view and so on. As well i changed the cutting-off for the fuel mixture, from the standard "Ctrl-Shift-F6" to a simple "^". As well i use magnetoes on with "Shift-M", and off with "Ctrl-M", engaging the starter is "Ctrl-S" and so on.

Pressing "T" or "Shift-T" will open the target radar screen - you will unfortunately need this. Take it as a compensation for the lacking view on your computer screen compared to what you have in reality. When there are some dots representing planes in your vicinity , you can mark a dot, and cycle the mark along the other dots, and then switch to a view at that dot, and vice versa looking at your plane from the marked one. I guess it was F4 with RB ? But you can program it as you like.

Greetings,
Narsinha

Hex

[/quote]

#2693576 - 03/18/09 06:37 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: ]  
LE Heureux Offline
Red Baron ESC 124
LE Heureux  Offline
Red Baron ESC 124

NE Colorado USA
Yes, I'm the same Heureux - I'm gratified you've heard of me. Real life has kept me out of the air since last Fall. I appreciate your tips - sounds like a great idea to change the keystrokes to the RB3d keys. The more I can play in the manner I am accustomed to the better I'll do. I had no idea I could mark an aircraft contact on the TAC screen to padlock it. I also like the tip on accessing the commands control panel in game.
Thanks,
Hex

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Hex
#2706163 - 04/10/09 03:46 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: LE Heureux]  
LE Heureux Offline
Red Baron ESC 124
LE Heureux  Offline
Red Baron ESC 124

NE Colorado USA
I've studied the game and think I've figured out which commands I want to use and how to program them into my CH Fighterstick.

I decided to pretty much keep the commands used by CFS3 the same, since the CH software really doesn't care what you map to the buttons. It will be easier than figuring out what new single keystroke to assign to each function, especially when communicating to someone what I've used. This way all we have to do is figure out which commands we want to use.

I decided to keep the 8 way hat switch the way it is by default. It's too tough to discriminate between adjacent positions when there are eight. Right-left-up-down are about all I can reliably select. Here are the commands I think we need most:

Thumb Hat (#3)
up Shft+T TAC Display (toggle on/off)
down Ctrl+Shft+T Cycle TAC Display (range displayed)
left T Cycle TAC Display (objects displayed)
right Ctrl+Shft+L Aircraft Labels (toggle on/off)

Left Hat (#1)
up Tab Next Target (TAC dot changes color, padlock keys on that contact)
down Shft+Tab Prior target
left Ctrl+Shft+F4 Toggle Player/Target View*
right Ctrl+Tab Next Friend**

(*not sure - have to try it but hopefilly goes back & forth between own view and closeup of selected contact. **not sure - have to try but hopefully works like "F" key in RB3d))

Right Hat (#2)
up F6 Go to Pilot Seat (cockpit views ahead, sights, down & up)
down F4 Next View (cycles available views*
left [ Zoom In (also works in views other than cockpit)
right ] Zoom out (also works in views other than cockpit)

(*- not completely sure how they get selected but can learn by flying I think)

Pinkey button

B "`" (Accent) Padlock View (Toggle)

Thumb Button

B 1,0 (repeating list) 10% power, 100% power "Blip" switch

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Hex
#2726075 - 05/16/09 08:58 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: LE Heureux]  
LE Heureux Offline
Red Baron ESC 124
LE Heureux  Offline
Red Baron ESC 124

NE Colorado USA
I flew my third campaign mission last night - this is starting to get good...I learned a couple things.

The BRACKETS button is important because that's the easiest way to tell which of the TAC screen blips you selected (the yellow one) is which contact in the air. In other words, as you change the yellow from blip to blip on the TAC screen, the brackets jump from aircraft to aircraft in the sky.

You move from friendly blip to friendly blip (the blue ones) with the Next Friend command and from enemy to enemy (red blips) with Next Target (I think it is).

Both the brackets and where the padlock is pointed will jump to the aircraft indicated by the yellow blip.

Eindeckers are sitting ducks for the Strutter. I'm surprised I even ran into them - I expected Halberstadts in June 1916 Flanders (flying with RNAS "C" squad). Things should get tougher in October when Boelke's boys begin to appear in their new Alb DIIs

You must end the game with the END GAME command if you want to claim kills. The quit selection on the CFS3 pink drop down dumps you directly to the main screen. I had no claims on my first two kills because of bypassing the end sequence screens. No matter, I was credited 2 I didn't realize I got the very next mission. All I did was give 'em a burst or two and roll so my gunner could take a crack at them as I zoomed or overshot them. I bet it'll be a gas doing that in a Biff later in the war.

#8) PS: I'm not using my 1,0 BLIP command as the motor sputters impressively as one throttles it down. Landings are a dream if you come in low and slow and stall her as she touches down, then chop the power if not bouncing out of control.

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Hex
#2734329 - 05/30/09 04:46 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: LE Heureux]  
LE Heureux Offline
Red Baron ESC 124
LE Heureux  Offline
Red Baron ESC 124

NE Colorado USA
Months ago I asked the question:

>>Has anyone written a primer on how to use the commands in OFF (or CFS3, I suppose)? I haven't figured out how to find wingmen the way <tab> finds bogies and I don't want to use invisible cockpit. Formation flying is a real challenge without some way to keep them in view. I can deal with sight obstruction caused by my own plane - in fact it helps me stay oriented some. The problem is the lack of a way to readily find what I'm looking for and (again) padlock it if needed. Snap view is fine for routine flying and landing, but scroll view is awkward without TrackIR.>>

Months later I have played around with the game to the point where I think I can address the above issue myself. I am posting this in the hopes it may help another newbie catch on with less effort. Feel free to add or correct anything I write. I'm still learning:

Use of the TAC screen to select contacts (instead of "N", "E" & "F" in Red Baron 3d):

Instead of using an "N", "F" or "E" key as one does in RB3d, in OFF, you move from friendly blip to friendly blip (the blue ones) with the "Next Friend" command and from enemy to enemy (the red blips) with "Next Target". There are also white blips when the contact is farther away and the contact is unknown, kind of like the Red Baron "N" key working when "F" and "E" won't yet pick up the contact.

Toggling "Brackets" on is an easy way to quickly tell which yellow TAC screen blip is which contact in the air. Tabbing to the next TAC screen blip and following the brackets to indicate which aircraft is the yellow blip, allows you to situationally aware. As you move the yellow from blip to blip on the TAC screen, the brackets jump from aircraft to aircraft in the sky. Both the brackets (and where the padlock is pointed if engaged) jump to the contact indicated by the yellow blip. That makes it much easier to tell if that blip moving behind you (for example) has a altitude advantage or not - a critical thing to know.

Sometimes the padlock view will jump, but you won't see the brackets (especially common when the contact is behind you somewhere). I'm not sure, but I think this happens when the view of the contact is obscured by your own aircraft. At any rate, you can find find them by toggling the "invisible cockpit". I don't leave it on because I need to see where my own aircraft is as a reference point, but quick peeks are helpful. It also seems one has a slightly better span of vision with the invisible cockpit (ie: can twist the head a little further to see the contact).

Use of views to see the contact (like "F8" in Red Baron):

Target ID is greatly simplified if you use the "Player/Target" toggle to see the contact in the foreground. The label at the top of the screen will changes for each view. Hit "Next View" until you get to "Player/Target View". Then hit "player/target view" toggle and you will to see the other aircraft. You should only have to do that once -after that just hit "Next View" until that view comes up.

Once in "Target View", you can use "Next Target" to cycle through the view of each target aircraft, as you cycle through the blips on the TAC.. This is an easy way to see how many of each type there are, similar to repeatedly hitting "N" in Red Baron when in F8 target view.

You may find it necessary to pause the game when doing this because it's hard to fly when you're not in the cockpit.

Making it more realistic (and Harder)

It occurs to me that one could tailor the amount of help the game provides in identifying contacts. On the one extreme you could use all the above, plus enable labels that tell you what it is you are seeing. Steps along the path to reducing the help include 1) reducing dependancy on the TAC screen by dragging it nearly off screen, then using the brackets and padlock view just to watch the sky while tabbing from contact to contact; 2) losing the brackets and just trust that you are looking in the direction of a contact, and 3) you could even rely solely on visual ID. I suppose with TrackIR, you could 4) go entirely "au naturel" and constantly scan for pixels to turn into aircraft. It is a lot harder to have to pick out a tiny dot that is a contact rather than using the brackets which track the contact like police helicopter FLIR locks onto a pursued vehicle, and even harder to visually ID it as friend or foe. You might need a different type of help, if that's you idea of fun, such as a silk scarf to reduce friction and Ben Gay liniment for neck muscle aches. 8^)

Last edited by LE Heureux; 05/30/09 04:47 PM.

Au revoir en l'air...S!
Hex
#2738252 - 06/06/09 03:05 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: LE Heureux]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Thanks for posting that Le Heureux. Just for reference there is a key chart linked from the main FAQ page now too, plus many hints and tips over at combat ace forum that cover targetting etc (links on our website).

Can't recommend TrackIR enough for OFF (or any sim) by the way for anyone without, makes viewing and tracking completely natural.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#2816160 - 07/12/09 12:29 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: beowolff29]  
vonHuetz Offline
vonHuetz  Offline

I might have overlooked it, but is this game running on Vista 64 without anyproblems?

S! vH

#2817351 - 07/13/09 11:13 PM OFF ADDITIONS [Re: Polovski]  
5555 Offline
Phil S
5555  Offline
Phil S

Civilized California

Hello Mr. P, Uther or whomever,

I noted on CombatAce some aircraft, missions and campaigns additions for OFF. The site does not qualify if the creations are for versions 2 or 3, though some of the available maps are from Rabu, which gives the material credibility.

But before my next computer FFU, my mind inquires if they are safe to import.

#2850397 - 08/29/09 03:56 PM Re: OFF ADDITIONS [Re: 5555]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Yes it runs on XP, Vista 32, 64, Win7 too.

5555 I think you asked already. You need to check with the 3rd party authors that made the missions. However old missions made BEFORE P3 came out will likely NOT work properly without some editing.

Last edited by Polovski; 08/29/09 03:57 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#3575656 - 05/19/12 07:44 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: Uther]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
Navigation: #1
The early aviators didn't have pop-upmaps or GPS do help guide them. They only had ded reckoning and landmarks to help. Most carried maps either folded up or on a scroll that they could use. Of course, after flying over an area long enough, they learned the landmarks and views so that they didn't need them so much. Fortunately, WM's scenery is so good, you can do the same.

To navigate, you need maps. Forget the in-game map. It's too vague and mis-guided. Part of the F5 HUD is a perfectly working Compass.
With good maps and a functional compass, who needs 'M'
TRICK . . If you drag the compass into the center of your TAC, both still work perfectly ( assuming the screen is cycled to aircraft ). If you use Padlocking and Brakets the compass gets rather hard to read.

Last edited by Uncleal; 05/20/12 01:52 PM.
#3575678 - 05/19/12 08:07 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: Uther]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
TRACKIR GOODIES #2
Trackir is a bit of a vampyre, in that it strongly dislikes bright lights, especially sunlight. That includes reflected light, so if you're folically challenged (Bald), cover that chrome dome, it has been known to cause problems.
You could have a glass covered picture of your Mother-in-law hang on the wall BEHIND you, which reflects light into your Trackir ruining everything . . You're on your own as to solving that problen

If you're starting using Trackir, you'll feel abit woosie, not to worry, it happens to everyone, you'll quickly become used to it. But I'd advise in the beginning you keep a pail handy, just in case.
There was a guy who bought Trackir , for use in Phase 1. He had flown every sim since CFS1, he used Trackir and lost his lunch all over his keyboard. Turns out he would get violently airsick, Who Knew ??? The following day he took out an Ebay Ad.

People have actually asked here, where they can buy Dramimine wholesale, so there must be a need.
I've heard of many temporary cures, from pills to wristbands. I'd say see an MD, if so afflicted.
Then use Trackir

One common problem the beginner complains of, is their inability to get the exact sight alignment, to head position, during a dogfight.

Just get it close, and hit the (F12) Key. The sights will center themselves to match Your Head Position. Beginners will get real familure with F12

PS . . It's always good to F12 it when the mission starts__________________

What is Trackir ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AO0F5sLdVM

Just so as nobody gets Sticker Shock, Trackir is an expensive toy, it costs around $125.00
If this makes anyone feel better, I paid $180 for mine about 6 years back

Trackir 4 or TR4 is all you need,. . TR5 is the latest thing for roughly $25 more
HOWEVER . .The Camera Unit is so light sensetive, some find it's use troublesome ( ME )

When you make a purchase, all's you get is the camera and the hat clip ( the Software is via Download )
On the download page is the software for TR4 and TR5 ( take what you want )

Sooo the Hot Setup which most pilots use is the TR4 Camera with the TR5 Software. If for some reason you don't like the TR5 Software,
Uninstall and use the TR4

Free Track . . . for those who can't stretch their budgets, or sneak Trackir past the Wing Commander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QqAqb_SZV0
Free Tack itself is rather old, I don't know if it even exists anymore

Track - Noir is:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3198640/Face_Track_NoIR_No_more_hats_h.html

Last edited by Uncleal; 05/20/12 02:45 PM.
#3575683 - 05/19/12 08:16 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: Uther]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
How To continue to fall #3
round, taking a Dirt Nap
Might or might not apply if you're already Dead

Left Side.................................................................................................. of Workshop

Auto Exit CFS3. . . . .ON

Auto Exit Mission . . OFF

.................................................................................................
Any other way, the instant your aircraft is considered unflyable by the Manager. the mission just ends . . NEXT

It's enough to Piss-off the Pope

NOTE: Must have Hat in the ring installed, otherwise the controls don't exist

Last edited by Uncleal; 05/24/12 04:50 AM.

There's no such thing as Bad Weather, only unsuitable clothing
#3575685 - 05/19/12 08:23 PM Re: OFF Essentials (Links, Tips, Tweaks, etc) [Re: Uther]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
The Story Behind the Force Feedback Joystick #4

Now some people will disagree with this way of thinking, different opinions make the world go around. I don't see how in the name of all that's holy, you can fly an F18 Hornet, and a SE5 with the same Joystick. The Hornet can't vibrate at 585 MPH, it would self destruct. While the SE5 firing it's weapon, shakes like a washing machine on steroids. The only way to simutate it is with a Force Feedback Joystick. You'll feel the instant you're flying, instead of everything getting smaller. And most importantly you'll feel the stall coming, 1/2 second before it arrives, giving the pilot ample time to alter his activities, thus avoiding the stall. It could be a lifesaver.

Especially with WWI Birds, many times after take-off, you can attempt to gain altitude too quickly and stall. It's very easy, to change, just level out and build some speed, when you feel the 'Death Rattle'. Without Force Feedback, just stall and die.

In a Dogfight you might make one turn too many. You can maintain the attack and stall, and the Hunter becomes the Hunted. Or you can break off the attack, rebuild speed, and attack again. Without Force Feedback you don't have a choice.

The stall itself is just the lack of Flying, below a certain speed, it just stalls. The only way to recover with these low power engines, is to dive inorder to gain speed of air, over your wings and control surfaces. Not enough altitude . . you die.

If it feels unatural to you to bring your left hand across your body in order to work the throttle, ( throttle on EVO is Bad) it works fine, but such a placement. I'm rather fond of the Saitek Trottle Quadrent, if you use the massive clamp deal for a boat anchor, and secure the quadrent itself to your desktop with
adhesive back Velcro, you can put it wherever you want. It features 3 staulks, of which you can only use one, the other two vanish, and the slots are neatly covered with black tape. It also features 3 Rocker Switches, which function like 6 Buttons, programable of course
That Micky$oft Sidewinder II is a great FFB Joystick, but it's painfully short of buttons

My personal opinion as far as OFF is concerned, any HOTAS would be a bit of overkill. The WWI pilot never had all those controls at his fingertips. About the Only positive is the left hand throttle, which I simulate with the Saitek

That leaves you Free to use a Force Feedback Joystick

Your Choice of Pedals, and Trackir . . Round things out

That's just the way I did it . . . . . .I'm sure there're other versions of the OFF experience

NOTE: Used too be everybody offer a Force Feedback joystick, unfortunately those are history, the ONLY FFB offered NEW
is the $300 Logitech system

I was Lucky to find a Power Pro Force NEW in the box

And the only one used that you can depend on is the MICROSOFT Sidewinder II

Watch Out. . there a lot of Microsoft FFB Sticks for SALE on Ebay, but you need the USB Unit Like the Sidewinder II
Anything else makes a good doorstop or paperweight or an anchor for a very small boat

There's no such thing as Bad Weather, only unsuitable clothing
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.