Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2702771 - 04/04/09 03:35 AM Availability of different engines for Fokker D7?  
MJMORROW Offline
NEWGUY
MJMORROW  Offline
NEWGUY

I was wondering if anyone knew if the Fokker D7 would come with either the Mercedes DIII 160hp engine or the BMW 185 hp engine? Could they do both? I suppose the 160 hp was the more common variant if not the more desirable in real life.
-MJ

Last edited by MJMORROW; 04/04/09 03:36 AM.

Instead of complaining about SPAD 7s, Central pilots should capture and fly them too. I suggest putting an apple in the middle of your Aerodrome field and just wait. Eventually a SPAD 7 will come by to get the apple, cause SPADS can't resist apples. This is how the Entente gets a hold of SPAD 7s, m-kay?
-MJ Morrow
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2702825 - 04/04/09 11:08 AM Re: Availability of different engines for Fokker D7? [Re: MJMORROW]  
BigBouncer Offline
BigBouncer  Offline

Good question MJ.

Just to add some spice ... did any Fokker D7 have an 160Hp Mercedes DIII engine? That wasn't even used in the Albatros DV/DVa's at that time. Maybe there was a shortage of engines initially?

But my understanding is that the earlier Fokker D7s had the 180hp Mercedes DIIIaü and later models the 200hp Mercedes DIIIaüv. The Fokker D7F had the 185Hp BMW engine.

The BMW was better as you say. Lighter, and the power ratings above were at 1400 RPM, but the BMW had considerably higher hp at higher RPMs.

Must say I learnt all this from another poster a while back at another site, and was surprised at the time... always had thought the 160Hp engine was standard.

Maybe we will get three or four eventually. smile

#2702850 - 04/04/09 01:48 PM Re: Availability of different engines for Fokker D7? [Re: BigBouncer]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Daimler didn't denote a distinction between the 160hp and 180hp versions of its engines on the metal plate affixed to the outside of the motor's crankcase, as I understand it. This is why confusion arose over which Mercedes engine the Fokker D.VII was originally equipped with, and when captured examples were examined by the British and French, the "160hp" nomenclature was assumed, even though the base power rating was 180hp by the time the Fokker D.VII was put into production. Later production Fokker D.VIIs would mount the 'over-compressed' Mercedes D.IIIau or the BMW DIII engines.

Similar mistakes occur with specifications being listed for other German fighters too, like the Pflaz D.IIIa and the Pfalz D.XII (being quoted at times with 160hp engines, rather than the 180 hp versions). Additionally, when older Mercedes D.III engines were rebuilt during the war, they were upgraded with higher compressions piston sets, which increased their power equal to those of the new engines coming off the assembly lines. To further add to the confusion, older rebuilt engines were sometimes put into new fighter airframes just being built.

This is why some WWI sims and mods have short-changed the Pfalz D.IIIa or early Fokker D.VIIs for example, as they've been programmed with 160hp engines instead of the higher output version(s).

In all probability, there might not have been too many Albatros or Pfalz D-types still flying at the Front late in the war with 160hp engines either, as these aircraft would have mounted higher output engines as original equipment, or would have been retrofitted in the field with fresher rebuilds putting out 180hp.

#2702892 - 04/04/09 03:43 PM Re: Availability of different engines for Fokker D7? [Re: FlyRetired]  
MJMORROW Offline
NEWGUY
MJMORROW  Offline
NEWGUY

BigBouncer and FlyRetired-
Great answers guys. I can see why it is so difficult to model the performance of the D7 variants in game. Someone on the Aerodrome was discussing the 200hp Mercedes DIIIaüv. I believe it was in reference to the D7 located at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in New York. I never thought much about it cause I was under the impression that there was a 160hp engine and 185hp engine as standard. Bigbouncer just pulled a, "Luke I am your father," on me so now I have a little pet research project!
-MJ

Instead of complaining about SPAD 7s, Central pilots should capture and fly them too. I suggest putting an apple in the middle of your Aerodrome field and just wait. Eventually a SPAD 7 will come by to get the apple, cause SPADS can't resist apples. This is how the Entente gets a hold of SPAD 7s, m-kay?
-MJ Morrow

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.