Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
#2700030 - 03/30/09 10:06 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: =FB=VikS]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

But the question is why it is not just stored locally but on a master server?

(From what I know it is about avoiding tampering with the data by the user...)

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2700034 - 03/30/09 10:11 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: BigBouncer]  
=FB=VikS Offline
=FB=VikS  Offline

Originally Posted By: BigBouncer
Hey Viks, you know this just gets circular? Whatever your response.

im tryin when i can:) right now im chewin my dinner and makin fast check of "fresh" tipics, sometimes i cant read all of them

Quote:

What about Navigation Maps.

there will be an inflight navigation map with few regimes, depend if you have icons on/off. Map will be a copy of our whole map.

Quote:

Or Force Feedback?

we didnt managed to put it into release, but we plan to implement it in the feature patches (yet dunno when).

VikS
Flying BARANS Forever!
"All wool - to the front!"
www.barans.ru
www.riseofflight.com
#2700035 - 03/30/09 10:15 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: Freycinet]  
=FB=VikS Offline
=FB=VikS  Offline

Originally Posted By: Freycinet
But the question is why it is not just stored locally but on a master server?

(From what I know it is about avoiding tampering with the data by the user...)

It is an kind of DRM protection for ROF - part of the system.

VikS
Flying BARANS Forever!
www.barans.ru
www.riseofflight.com
#2700036 - 03/30/09 10:16 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: =FB=VikS]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: =FB=VikS
If to be simple at all - you accaunt, which is you and all your awards/stats/planes etc etc., - stores everyhting about you on masterserver.
So youll need to connect central server anyway.

Thanks VikS for some of these clarifications, and I added emphasis to a part of your comments above.

Without having to go into too much detail, can you also explain how the "planes etc." we buy are stored on the metaserver?

#2700039 - 03/30/09 10:22 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: FlyRetired]  
=FB=VikS Offline
=FB=VikS  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlyRetired

Thanks VikS for some of these clarifications, and I added emphasis to a part of your comments above.
Without having to go into too much detail, can you also explain how the "aircraft" we buy are stored on the metaserver?

well, all aircraft which we will add in the feature - will be a free for all, exept they will be only AI controlled, but if youll like it - you will be able to buy it - so it will be able with cockpit + all other stuff (flyable for campaign, single mission). So metaserver will store information about you bought wthis plane and you can fly it, no need to store whole plane on metaserver.

VikS
Flying BARANS Forever!
www.barans.ru
www.riseofflight.com
#2700040 - 03/30/09 10:27 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: =FB=VikS]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

So metaserver will store information about you bought wthis plane and you can fly it, no need to store whole plane on metaserver.

This also forms an additional function of CP/DRM? That is, it's a way to protect against pirated aircraft, or cheat FMs being used?

#2700042 - 03/30/09 10:30 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: FlyRetired]  
=FB=VikS Offline
=FB=VikS  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlyRetired
So metaserver will store information about you bought wthis plane and you can fly it, no need to store whole plane on metaserver.

This also forms an additional function of CP/DRM? That is, it's a way to protect against pirated aircraft, or cheat FMs being used?

correct.

VikS
Flying BARANS Forever!
www.barans.ru
www.riseofflight.com
#2700044 - 03/30/09 10:44 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: =FB=VikS]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Okay, so is there no GAMEPLAY benefit for an offline player for transmitting his statistics centrally? Seriously.

Because if the whole "benefit" of the online requirement is copy protection, then that is not something the end user benefits from. There have been a bunch of ideas how this could be turned into a more interesting offline experience, but if all it does is for copy protection, then what do WE as players get out of the deal with the required internet connection?

And if it's only copy protection that requires the online connection - then why can Steam and similar systems by other major publishers live without this?

#2700049 - 03/30/09 10:58 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Because if the whole "benefit" of the online requirement is copy protection, then that is not something the end user benefits from.

That is such a short-sighted perspective.

You may not care if this sim succeeds, and you have your agenda and a whole forum you can speak to it about.

Many of us can understand that the few companies making simulations these days need revenue to stay in business. If you can't see the benefits of these companies staying in business so that they can survive to support their products, and survive to launch new ones, then you've lost sight of one of the most important benefits this hobby industry offers to us.

#2700051 - 03/30/09 11:07 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: FlyRetired]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
This circular argument thing, I hope it will leave time for VikS to answer questions that he has not answered 201 times already

You need to be connected to the Internet to fly RoF, there is no offline play, don't like it don't buy it how many more times

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2700052 - 03/30/09 11:08 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: FlyRetired]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
FR, with all respect: Every major game title of the recent years has been pirated. All the draconian DRM restrictions that were justified to us by arguing about "necessary income for survival of the developer" have so far failed. Black Shark - the most fitting comparison - had a working torrent released within a week.

You expect me to believe that this one will be different?

Furthermore: How many of the torrent-sucking college kids and majority of the immature pirate crowd (those who make up the largest amount of illegal downloads) would actually pay for a copy of RoF if they couldn't download it? By contrast, how many of the (average in their 30s and well-earning) WW1 fanatics crowd would pirate such a quality product if it was available, instead of supporting the developers with their money?

This sim is NOT in the target demographic for massive sales loss due to pirates. Using a massive DRM requirement to counter a minor pirate risk (but at the same time putting off the 75% of people who play mainly offline and would actually buy it) is at best a very shortsighted perspective, as you call it.

NeoQB could put features into the game that would "sweeten up" the necessary "always online" requirement for offline-pilots, but so far I haven't heard any case made that they actually intend to use any of the suggestions brought forward here in this forum. Why not?

Ming: Love you too - not in THAT way of course.

#2700054 - 03/30/09 11:10 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
BigBouncer Offline
BigBouncer  Offline

Okay, so is there no GAMEPLAY benefit for an offline player for transmitting his statistics centrally? Seriously.

Because if the whole "benefit" of the online requirement is copy protection, then that is not something the end user benefits from. There have been a bunch of ideas how this could be turned into a more interesting offline experience, but if all it does is for copy protection, then what do WE as players get out of the deal with the required internet connection?

And if it's only copy protection that requires the online connection - then why can Steam and similar systems by other major publishers live without this?

Viks didn't say it was the whole reason. Not just here, but in previous posts as well.

I have always said the main reason for the online single play was copy protection mainly for addon flyables. But I've also said there could be other reasons for statistics too - they are collected for MP, why not SP? They may be useful for the player or for future development.

yeah, yeah, I know ... NEXT....so, Viks what exactly is the benefit of collecting statistics?

As I stated earlier, it just gets circular.

#2700056 - 03/30/09 11:12 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

I'm sorry Ming.

Indeed, if we would allow the answers to be conveyed, without them being filtered everytime they're given!

Don't like it don't buy it.

#2700058 - 03/30/09 11:17 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
BigBouncer Offline
BigBouncer  Offline

FR, with all respect: Every major game title of the recent years has been pirated. All the draconian DRM restrictions that were justified to us by arguing about "necessary income for survival of the developer" have so far failed. Black Shark - the most fitting comparison - had a working torrent released within a week.

You expect me to believe that this one will be different?

Its different because its different.

Its a different because its a different copy protection approach. I'm sure you will agree?

Its different because of the business model ... the addon flyables. There would be a lot of temptation to get all these free, even among some that paid for the original game.

Its different because there are likely to be many updates.

We've been through those discussions before.

Circular isn't the right expression, its more like we have gone around the kitchen table on this many times now.

#2700061 - 03/30/09 11:22 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: FlyRetired]  
jasonbirder Offline
jasonbirder  Offline

I can appreciate that to the truly converted continuing discussion of single player modes can be frustrating...
But the fact that it is the predominant topic of discussion for so many different people on so many different forums must mean it is an important topic for debate...
Its not sensible to try and silence the discussion or get it swept under the carpet...
People are interested...and on one level its surely better for the game to be talked about rather than not talked about...
As i've said before...the game will have no long term future if it only sells to a couple of thousand regualr hyperlobby players...
So, presumably selling to single players is very important to NeoQB...
As it stands their inability to articulate the benefits of the "Always Online" requirement is puzzling...and the new revelation that the game will ship Without Any single player campaign gives credence to peoples fears that it is a product targeted primarily at online dogfighters rather than those that wish to simulate World War One aerial combat...

#2700064 - 03/30/09 11:24 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: =FB=VikS]  
BigBouncer Offline
BigBouncer  Offline

Originally Posted By: BigBouncer
Hey Viks, you know this just gets circular? Whatever your response.

im tryin when i can:) right now im chewin my dinner and makin fast check of "fresh" tipics, sometimes i cant read all of them

Quote:

What about Navigation Maps.

there will be an inflight navigation map with few regimes, depend if you have icons on/off. Map will be a copy of our whole map.

Quote:

Or Force Feedback?

we didnt managed to put it into release, but we plan to implement it in the feature patches (yet dunno when).

Thanks Viks. Good to hear FF is PLANNED, and as a patch. Alway thought that of course.

You hear the weirdest rumours here sometimes, conspiracy theories abound when a couple of the posters currently here get into a frenzy.

"with few regimes" not sure what you mean. Can you zoom in on map so that you can identify landmarks from the terrain without waypoints or icons? Any pics?

#2700065 - 03/30/09 11:24 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: BigBouncer]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
BB, all I want is for Viks to step up and tell us ONE end user benefit of the online requirement/statistics transmission. And I'm talking about a benefit for the user in gameplay terms (better/more varied/more stable...whatever game experience) not a developer/publisher benefit.

Storing my Medals/Awards/Promotions/addons could be done locally too, as in any other game to date.

Sorry if you guys think this is "circular" but if so please point me to the part where he has answered what a "strictly-offline, not interesting in multi" player gains by this requirement that couldn't be done any other way.

#2700067 - 03/30/09 11:27 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: BigBouncer]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
Circular isn't the right expression, its more like we have gone around the kitchen table on this many times now.

It's exactly the right expression because to define what a circular argument actually is would be disrespectful to the person who used that phrase when he meant flogging a dead horse, we all know what he/she means. You lot are so picky Smile2

"Tell me, what are 'my lot'?"

The Picky Ones that girls don't like, try to go with the flow or you'll never get laid pal Smile2

Ming

#2700068 - 03/30/09 11:28 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: jasonbirder]  
BigBouncer Offline
BigBouncer  Offline

Originally Posted By: jasonbirder
and the new revelation that the game will ship Without Any single player campaign gives credence to peoples fears that it is a product targeted primarily at online dogfighters rather than those that wish to simulate World War One aerial combat...

What? LOL.

Everybody's right, you shouldn't buy the game.

Bye bye birdie.

#2700069 - 03/30/09 11:29 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
all I want is for Viks to step up and tell us ONE end user benefit of the online requirement/statistics transmission

There are none, go away we've moved on and you've got your own thread somewhere I bet for this too. Happy now Smile2

Ming

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.