Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17
#2699806 - 03/29/09 09:37 PM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
jasonbirder Offline
jasonbirder  Offline

Whats hard to understand...
Like most PC users I download lots of things...I buy software online...I download user content, I download patches and upgrades...thats not an issue...
Just because I make use of the internet though...it doesn't logically follow that I want to play an online game
Particularly one where i cannot complete a mission and fly another without uploading my scores/stats/p*nis size to a central server and getting a thumbs up to carry on...
Simple really...
Using the internet as a tool for my benefit=good
Having to use the internet to follow somebody elses idea of how I should utilise a game=bad

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2699807 - 03/29/09 09:37 PM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ming_EAF19
They go through that no stage to everything remember

Well my brain just hurts trying to give credence to any of this anymore.

Originally Posted By: jasonbirder
Using the internet as a tool for my benefit=good

A game is a tool also, and I'm not afraid to use either at the same time.

#2699818 - 03/29/09 09:52 PM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: FlyRetired]  
jasonbirder Offline
jasonbirder  Offline

I can appreciate that as someone looking forward to the release of the game you wish to defend it from all doubters FlyRetired

But i have to ask you...can you name one possible benefit that requiring upload of scores/stats etc etc to a central server/monitor before you can fly another mission offers to a single player?

There are undoubtedly many good points to Rise of Flight...if there weren't it wouldn't arouse as much interest...but given that commanality of version/future upgrade sales/anti-piracy/central repository of stats for online "willy wavers" can all be acheived without crippling the offline player...
What is the benefit to the single player who wants to fly single player campaigns and possibly create single player campaigns to enforcing both an "ALWAYS ON" Interent connection...and requiring transfer of stats/score/p*nis size to a central server before you can play 2 consecutive missions...

If I am missing something here please correct me...I WANT an excuse to buy this sim...but can't see beyond the crippling of the single player mode for the benefit of online play at this stage....

#2699829 - 03/29/09 10:03 PM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: jasonbirder]  
Rama Offline
Rama  Offline

Toulouse France
Originally Posted By: jasonbirder
I WANT an excuse to buy this sim...

Experiencing the masochist pleasure to hurt your own principles?
Finally smashing the ugly pink moneypig that you're tired to keep on your bedroom shelve?

... Mmmmm... maybe not good enough... I'll try to find a better one... wink

#2699838 - 03/29/09 10:18 PM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: jasonbirder]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

One benefit you ask?

You want someone to give you an excuse to buy this sim?

You think you might have the PC to play it, you have the internet connection to play it, you've probably even got flight simming peripherals, and you're also interesting in trying it too?

The benefit is you just get it!

#2699843 - 03/29/09 10:30 PM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: FlyRetired]  
jasonbirder Offline
jasonbirder  Offline

Shall i take that to mean...you can't think of a benefit to it either wink

#2699848 - 03/29/09 10:47 PM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: jasonbirder]  
RickRuski Offline
RickRuski  Offline

New Zealand
About 80% of the flight sim community fly "off line", it seems that the developers want to lose this percentage of their potential sales, not a very smart decission in my view. Most of the posts in this topic seem to have come from the "online" players while the "offline" players are very quiet on the subject. I can understand the developers concerns over DRM and the possible copying of their sim, but surely there must be some method of puting code into the sim to make it more difficult to copy, or is the main problem that they don't trust their staff. (Most of the staff would have access to the code). I was looking forward to buying this sim but unless there is an CD/DVD available for "offline" play I will be one of the very disappointed 80%.

Last edited by RickRuski; 03/29/09 10:49 PM.
#2699849 - 03/29/09 10:50 PM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: jasonbirder]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
You've stated you don't like the online aspect of single play.
You don't need an excuse
I don't think you should buy it.

#2699854 - 03/29/09 10:55 PM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: jasonbirder]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Well no Jason, the primary benefit means this thread gets dumped into the CP/DRM forum instead.

#2699861 - 03/29/09 11:08 PM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: RickRuski]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: RickRuski
I was looking forward to buying this sim but unless there is an CD/DVD available for "offline" play I will be one of the very disappointed 80%.

People who are really interested in RoF will be supporting the sim I think.

Many of us are looking forward to trying new aircraft too, which means we'll be supporting the sim with additional sales.

Still again, many SP fans also play online too, and will be buying additional content.

#2699983 - 03/30/09 05:52 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: FlyRetired]  
jasonbirder Offline
jasonbirder  Offline

Quote:
Well no Jason, the primary benefit means this thread gets dumped into the CP/DRM forum instead

Why? There has been no discussion of CP/DRM..there has been a discussion of how connection to a central server for statistics & scoring purposes affects Rise of Flight Single Player Modes...IE Its effect on Mission/Campaign creation...
The CP/DRM forum is for the discussion of copy protection issues...not a new forum that was created to shunt any negative comments about RoF into...

#2699986 - 03/30/09 06:01 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: RickRuski]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RickRuski
About 80% of the flight sim community fly "off line", it seems that the developers want to lose this percentage of their potential sales, not a very smart decission in my view.

I've flown Il-2 mostly in single-player mode, so I've spent about 95 percent off-line, but I have no absolutely no problem with single-player simming involving a few connections to the internet before and after missions.

I don't see the logic behind your reasoning. I think the vast majority of those who prefer single play also have a good internet connex. By far the most people with a gaming rig have that.

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#2699988 - 03/30/09 06:13 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: Freycinet]  
csThor Offline
csThor  Offline

Germany
The logic, Frey,is that no game company decides when I connect to the internet and what is uploaded when all I want to do is to play offline campaigns. This is simply a matter of principles - I am the one who decides when to go online. And I have zero (nada, null, niente) interest in seeing my offline stats plastered across the internet.

It really amazes me that neoqb hasn't forseen the backlash they got for this idea and I have absolutely no idea why they even went this way. For online play it's all good and fine, but for offline it's just a pointless and unacceptable policy and will hurt them in the end (very badly).

Intel i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz - ASUS Rampage III Gene Republic of Gamers - 6GB RAM OCZ CL7 XTC Platinum PC3-12800 - ZOTAC GeForce GTX 480 - 64GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA II - 1TB Western Digital WD1002FAEX SATA II - Creative Soundblaster Xi-Fi Titanium - Windows 7 Professional 64bit
#2700003 - 03/30/09 08:24 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: csThor]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Narsinha
Unregistered

Hello,

i cannot imagine how anyone would be able to turn this online issue into a favourable light.

Freycinet, you and some others have developed from a critical "ooo kayyy ... why not" to a an almost supporting position regarding "having to be online to play RoF" - why ?

Even then it is ok for me, i heard your opinion and accept it, but it is still YOUR opinion, not mine. Why do you want to silence well-meant critics ? Guys i see some of you live in the US, or England - don't you have any reservation regarding fundamental data protection and privacy, in countries that almost invented it ?

And apart from that:
"I am the one who decides when to go online. And I have zero (nada, null, niente) interest in seeing my offline stats plastered across the internet."

I could not have said it better - my decision. I have no problem in having to be online once, or every second month, for registering, or proof that i have not a pirated version.
This and the other discussion being moved to another restricted area at this very forum had nothing to do with anti piracy- or DRM model issues, it is only about this online term for playing single missions, because this is what me and obviously some others do most of the time. Not even Microsoft with its proprietary measures demands from anyone to be online when you use their products. And i think it would be smashed in a US court, if they tried to.

I like this sim very much and really intend to buy it, but why not rethink this (*Neoqb* ? hint hint ;-) )

Again, no harsh words - but please no gagging.

Thanks,
Narsinha

Last edited by Narsinha; 03/30/09 08:25 AM.
#2700009 - 03/30/09 08:55 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: csThor]  
=FB=VikS Offline
=FB=VikS  Offline

Originally Posted By: csThor
The logic, Frey,is that no game company decides when I connect to the internet and what is uploaded when all I want to do is to play offline campaigns. This is simply a matter of principles - I am the one who decides when to go online. And I have zero (nada, null, niente) interest in seeing my offline stats plastered across the internet.

It really amazes me that neoqb hasn't forseen the backlash they got for this idea and I have absolutely no idea why they even went this way. For online play it's all good and fine, but for offline it's just a pointless and unacceptable policy and will hurt them in the end (very badly).

To be clear - your acctount stores all yours statistics. Right now work over statistics are yet to be finished, but youll be able to choose about, if you whant/dont whant to show your campaign/single missions stats to others.

VikS
Flying BARANS Forever!
"All wool - to the front!"
www.barans.ru
www.riseofflight.com
#2700013 - 03/30/09 09:09 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: =FB=VikS]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
youll be able to choose about, if you whant/dont whant to show your campaign/single missions stats to others.

Good news.

In UK we have the Freedom of Information Act so I will be checking everyone's stats from time to time, be lucky chaps Smile2

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2700019 - 03/30/09 09:35 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Disabling the option to show offline statistics to the world makes it even more pointless to transmit them firsthand.

Please Viks, or anyone else connected to NeoQB - explain to us, in simple terms, what the benefit of submitting statistics is for offline players who are not interested to be connected to any central server.

#2700020 - 03/30/09 09:45 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
BigBouncer Offline
BigBouncer  Offline

Hey Viks, you know this just gets circular? Whatever your response.

What about Navigation Maps. Or Force Feedback?

They are the areas your real fans want some response on, please.

#2700021 - 03/30/09 09:46 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
The simple answer is, if you have a problem with going on the internet or dont want to upload stats, to not buy the sim.

#2700026 - 03/30/09 10:01 AM Re: Rise of Flight Offline Play [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
=FB=VikS Offline
=FB=VikS  Offline

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Disabling the option to show offline statistics to the world makes it even more pointless to transmit them firsthand.

Please Viks, or anyone else connected to NeoQB - explain to us, in simple terms, what the benefit of submitting statistics is for offline players who are not interested to be connected to any central server.

If to be simple at all - you accaunt, which is you and all your awards/stats/planes etc etc., - stores everyhting about you on masterserver.
So youll need to connect central server anyway.

VikS
Flying BARANS Forever!
"All wool - to the front!"
www.barans.ru
www.riseofflight.com
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.