Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
#2692024 - 03/16/09 06:38 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: franksvalli]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: franksvalli
There's a clarification up now on the Rise of Flight blog: http://riseofflight.com/Blogs.aspx?day=20090316

"* just a small notice for everyone with traffic or internet connection problem. For "career mode" or "singleplayer mode" you will only need connection to start up or end up your mission (for your statistics). The rest of the time basically you don't have to be connected to the internet. 3-4 hours play traffic will equal to one downloaded page on our blog. In "multiplayer mode" you should be connected to the internet at all time."

Will our statistics be viewable by all or will we have privacy options though?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2692025 - 03/16/09 06:39 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: Dantes]  
Gr.Viper Offline
Gr.Viper  Offline

Russia
So dial-upers will have to Alt+Tab? Or will RoF dial and break connection itself?

#2692031 - 03/16/09 06:48 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: Dantes]  
franksvalli Offline
franksvalli  Offline

Lol Dantes.

I bet that phrase doesn't translate too well. Somewhere in Moscow Loft is thinking "He called me a horse!?"

smile

#2692034 - 03/16/09 06:53 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: Gr.Viper]  
AlexanderV Offline
AlexanderV  Offline

Leipzig, Germany
It still doesn't make any sense. I'm not interested in any of the advantages they list. I want to choose if I want to connect or not. And connecting and disconnecting before and after each mission is extremely immersive...and not annoying at all...sure...

Why don't they get this: We are the customers and we decide if we buy the game or not. Currently they are pushing many of us in the direction of "not buying"...and that cannot be their goal. We want don't want to connect permanently or on a regular basis. Period. If they don't change that they will really kill their chances of success.

Alexander

My System: Core 2 Duo E6750 @3200MHz, 4GB PC400 RAM, ATI Radeon 4890 OC 1024MB
#2692042 - 03/16/09 07:09 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: AlexanderV]  
Wedge Offline
Wedge  Offline

I dont have a problem with connecting to the internet. I want to know if individual squadrons will be able to host their own server(s) for matching purposes. Having server controls for switching maps, passwording a server, having statistics for matches, kicking or banning.

#2692050 - 03/16/09 07:29 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: AlexanderV]  
Dunkers Offline
Dunkers  Offline

England
Ok, so it seems that the online kick is only for logging-in before playing offline. I can live with that, although it could be a pain for some folks. The updates will be good to have. Also, surely this means that you don't have to upload your stats if you don't want to?

Now, what about this?

Quote:
4. Possibility to make some cash and to take participation in development. There is something that we have not mentioned yet. As I have told you - «Rise of Flight» is not just a game, it's a platform, which will allow users not only to enjoy game play, but also to participate in development of this project and to earn money. For your notice: you can make your own stuff, from missions and campaigns to fighters, landscapes, villages and cities. We would like to ask everyone to participate because we will not be able to cover every part and possibility of this game. If not you guys (users) who will else better know what this game really need. Only with online connection we will be able to see the best stuff from, to understand what is interesting for users and what we can put into production for updates

Presumably logging-on is still necessary just to use the mission builder, but the phrase 'Only with online connection we will be able to see the best stuff from, to understand what is interesting for users and what we can put into production for updates' must have lost something in translation. I don't think that anyone was proposing to send their home-built campaigns off in an envelope, and surely they don't mean that you have to be actually online to use the mission builder. Or do they?

cheers

Once upon a time there was dunkelgrun...
#2692051 - 03/16/09 07:31 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: ]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: franksvalli
In "multiplayer mode" you should be connected to the internet at all time."

How dare they treat the customer like that!! I will decide for myself if I want to connect when I play multiplayer or not!

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#2692053 - 03/16/09 07:32 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Originally Posted By: FlyRetired
I just got a PM from a friend telling me I'm wasting my time in this thread.

I'd have been infinitly more interested in a reply to what I showed you, than in a retreat as you do now.

Yes, you have a really hard time seeing your own bullying tactics.

Greets from "an idiot and a troll"

#2692054 - 03/16/09 07:32 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: citizen guod]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
It appears to me that this backlash has really caught Neoqb off guard.
I have to say that Loft's response on the RoF blog has done nothing to dissuade me from my previous position.

Last edited by Smosh; 03/16/09 07:33 PM.

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#2692058 - 03/16/09 07:39 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: Smosh]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

What backlash? - a few vocal people are furious that a company dares to want to earn money on its product and those people proceed to spread unfounded rumours and generally do what they can to damage the company. Neoqb is just informing everybody of the business plan they worked out a long while ago.

#2692063 - 03/16/09 07:45 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: Freycinet]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I think their inability to get their point across in English is really hurting them here.

I dont understand what they are saying in relation to needing a network connection. They say you HAVE to have one to play, then they say you only need it to send the stats and now they say that it is optional if you want to have your stats tracked. Then they counter that later by saying that your offline stats are not tracked anyways... What exactly is it? They need to make up their mind so I know if I should continue to track their progress or if I am just wasting my time.

Last edited by Master; 03/16/09 07:47 PM.
#2692065 - 03/16/09 07:47 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: Freycinet]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Freycinet
What backlash?

You know the one where a huge percentage of new posts on various forums about this game consist of people saying "I am not going to buy this game if they use that model."

I am pretty sure that is the backlash he is referring to. I am not sure how you missed it since it is pretty obviously prevalent across the net at the moment.

#2692066 - 03/16/09 07:47 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: jasonbirder]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jasonbirder
Quote:
"Readying users..." did you ever maybe stop just a moment and think that we are people with free minds, who might not want to be "readied" for something we don't like?

I simple DONT CARE about "full MP gameplay". You are preaching as if those poor souls who primary play SP offline need somehow to be coerced into getting a constant online connection and then ultimatly "converted" to playing MP only. Thanks, I know what I want and need, no flight sim developer is doing to tell me.

No matter how much you try to sugar-coat it:

How the hell is that is that a personal attack? On who...and where is the insult...

First off, using invective is part of inflaming the discussion ("how the hell"). I guess that is your aim.

Secondly, FR was speaking in general terms, not referring to anybody in particular. In his answer Colonel goes on and on referring to FR personally (you, you, you)... He misrepresents his posting, and is generally being aggressive and insulting: "did you ever maybe stop just a moment and think that we are people with free minds", "You are preaching as if", "you try to sugar-coat it"...

It is called bullying, not discussing.

#2692069 - 03/16/09 07:50 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: Master]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Master
I think inability to get their point across in English is really hurting them here.

I dont understand what they are saying in relation to needing a network connection. They say you HAVE to have one to play, then they say you only need it to send the stats and now they say that it is optional if you want to have your stats tracked. Then they counter that later by saying that your offline stats are not tracked anyways... What exactly is it? They need to make up their mind so I know if I should continue to track their progress or if I am just wasting my time.

Just stop tracking their progress, easy.

One has to have a connection to play, because one will need it before and after a single player mission to send stats. That is not complicated. But of course since a vocal group of people (who want the sim to fail, several are saying that openly), have been at their throats for a few days now, the publisher´s message can easily get lost.

#2692070 - 03/16/09 07:53 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: Freycinet]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Freycinet, you just described your exact posting tactics wink

I think this debate is splitting down the middle between those who hate the idea and those who are gun hoe in support of the game. The third group (the ones who dont really care either way) dont feel the need to post anything and thus are not counted.

I here by deem the anti DRM crowd Colonelists and the pro DRM crowd Freycists (pronounced fascists with a silent R wink )

Oh man, that is almost too easy!

#2692071 - 03/16/09 07:54 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: Freycinet]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Also, what is this problem that a few people seem to have with uploading stats? You can of course create as many pilots as you want, just like in Il-2. Use your "Joe Bumbleberry" to crash, burn and drill holes into the ground and get shot up, and then take your "Manfredo de Rickshaw" super pilot to fly in whatever online tournament you want to participate in, when you want it to really count.

#2692073 - 03/16/09 07:58 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: Master]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Master

I here by deem the anti DRM crowd Colonelists and the pro DRM crowd Freycists (pronounced fascists with a silent R wink )

Well, I've been called a lot... "Idot", I guess idiot was meant, or maybe Colonel was using a special austrian insult I don't know. And of course I was called Troll by him as well...

So, that you call me a fascist (which I deeply resent, because my family suffered under fascism) is just one more insult along the line... - Happily, I don't respect those who throw insults around: the moment they need to, I instantly lose any appreciation of what they say...

#2692077 - 03/16/09 08:01 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: Freycinet]  
Gr.Viper Offline
Gr.Viper  Offline

Russia
Quote:
You can of course create as many pilots as you want, just like in Il-2.

Still you'll have a single account per box biggrin And it's stats will go to servers.
Although there is a "Replay mission" button in in-flight menu, so all's not that bad.

#2692078 - 03/16/09 08:01 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: Freycinet]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Oh come on you know I was just joking freycinet. If not then you need to step away from this whole argument all together because you are taking it WAY to personal.

The setup for the joke was just too perfect (with the names the way they are.) wink

#2692079 - 03/16/09 08:04 PM Re: RoF copy protection speculation [Re: AlexanderV]  
godzilla1985 Offline
godzilla1985  Offline

Pa
Hummm, I get a little nervous when a dev starts pitching all the "wonderful" aspects of MP over SP blahblahblah Was nice they explained the whole always on IP connection thing for SP but yeah.. RoF will be MP only when all is said and done and probably pay for play down the line too. The SP will probably be little more then for noob training for the virtural MP world. Will still try the demo, why the heck not it's free biggrin but probably won't be buying this one for sometime nope

"It's the man, not the machine" Gen Chuck Yeager
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.