Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2686478 - 03/07/09 02:28 AM Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War?  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
After installation, it is now updating, do I not have a choice, on my low bandwith it's going to take 2 hours. I would like to be able to choose when and if I update.

It feels like I have bought the game off Steam, a bit unnerving.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2686483 - 03/07/09 02:43 AM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: bisher]  
Biff99 Offline
Bullet Magnet
Biff99  Offline
Bullet Magnet

Ohio
Steam is the copy protection they are using. I bought and downloaded the whole thing from Steam so I am not sure what the update is for.

Not sure if this info would help but the little Monty Python thing at the end was funny. smile

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=222206

"My doctor says I wouldn't get so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger out of there." - Ralph Wiggum
#2686485 - 03/07/09 02:47 AM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: Biff99]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Thanks Biff, I was worried Steam had my credit card number and I had somehow purchased another copy of ETW. Phew

#2686506 - 03/07/09 03:57 AM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: bisher]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Bledfin
Unregistered

i hate Steam. people say it is a successful service but it just hides a whole lot of stuff i call "malware" = wants to fiddle with your pc without telling you what it is doing.

it's probably why i like abandonware and other older games -.-

the main problem with "malware" games is that i don't think they will work after 3 years.

#2686510 - 03/07/09 04:02 AM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: ]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Are you new to Steam bisher? If so, take a look in the options. There is an 'offline' mode, where you can play without Steam logging in. There are also options that prevent Steam from launching at Windows startup. And under the options for each title in the 'My Games' list, you can disable updates as you like.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#2686553 - 03/07/09 05:31 AM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: adlabs6]  
Husar Offline
Husar  Offline

NRW, Germany
Yes you can, but you cannot register empire in offline mode and after installation, it will probably start patching before you get a chance to turn off auto updates, I think once it started patching, you cannot stop it and play, that ticked me off a bit as well sometimes, especially when the patching is really, really slow.

I just wish my copy of Empire had arrived yet...

#2686573 - 03/07/09 06:47 AM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: Husar]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Hi adlabs, it's been so long since I've used it I've forgotten much, but I do understand your suggestions, thanks, it's coming back to me.

Ya I'm playing the game now, so no worries, Husar has it much worse, I was just surprised Steam was involved, but all's good.

#2686610 - 03/07/09 10:54 AM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: bisher]  
Axel40 Offline
Axel40  Offline

London
There has been a BIG stink up over the use of Steam and Empire at the official forums. It's copy protection at the end of the day but the torrent was up on day one, so that worked NOT! biggrin

I had no troubles with my SF hard copy but I know a lot of people did.

"Anti Aircraft fire is...very dangerous."
Eddie Rickenbacker 2009
#2686653 - 03/07/09 01:33 PM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: Axel40]  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

Hey Bisher.

I had this happen with a boxed game too, it got all steamified after the install.
Now I can't resell it as it was registered with my steam account.
Would have been better off to of just downloaded the thing (Red Orchestra) via steam.
If I had known what was involved though, I wouldn't have bought it to begin with.

So I guess if you want a steam free experience with this one, buy the box, don't open it, but get the torrent?

A lot of people like steam, it works OK I guess. I'm old fashioned in that I like my PC games to be unattached to a third party in order to play (yes it has off line mode in steam, but steam is still there).

#2686799 - 03/07/09 07:22 PM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: ]  
ForSquirrels Offline
Veteran
ForSquirrels  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Bledfin
i hate Steam. people say it is a successful service but it just hides a whole lot of stuff i call "malware" = wants to fiddle with your pc without telling you what it is doing.

the main problem with "malware" games is that i don't think they will work after 3 years.

What do you mean "fiddle with your pc"? I have had Half Life 2 since it released in 2004 and it still works just fine almost 4.5 years later.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

XBL: fmdckr81
#2686820 - 03/07/09 08:37 PM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: ]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted By: Bledfin

Steam does not "fiddle" with your PC. You can choose to disable it from start up, automatically updating itself and your Steam games, and from showing you new releases/updates. It does not hide anything and does not change anything with your PC.

The only thing it does is show you advertisements when you go to the Steam store... and every online store that I know of has advertisements.

The only bad thing about Steam is that once its tied to your account, you can't sell it without selling your account of paying some $10 fee (I think).

#2686824 - 03/07/09 08:42 PM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: PositiveG]  
Biff99 Offline
Bullet Magnet
Biff99  Offline
Bullet Magnet

Ohio
I have never had a problem with Steam other than with this release and I've had it for 3 years (almost to the day). It wasn't a major problem, it took longer to download the game than I thought it would and it seemed that the download stalled several times. Not a big deal really. Maybe I am more patient than other people...

Anyway, the last 2 days Valve has released two patches to Steam dealing with Empire TW issues specifically. Not sure what was different with this game than others but hopefully they have it sorted out.

Originally Posted By: PositiveG
had this happen with a boxed game too, it got all steamified after the install.
Now I can't resell it as it was registered with my steam account.

I have heard other people complain about this. I don't see it as a big deal personally, although I have never sold a PC game. I still have the original Mechwarrior from the late 90's somewhere. Maybe if I did I would agree. How often do you sell PC games?

"My doctor says I wouldn't get so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger out of there." - Ralph Wiggum
#2686827 - 03/07/09 08:53 PM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: Biff99]  
vault_dweller Offline
Wasteland Wanderer
vault_dweller  Offline
Wasteland Wanderer

Cafe of Broken Dreams
I haven't had to use steam in some time, and it definitely doesn't like my internet security software (actually it's probably the other way around). It was a bit of a pain to load and update the SF edition, but this game is really fun and I've been playing it non-stop since Wednesday night.

Go Prussia go... Charge

It was 1990, give or take, I don't remember
When the news of revolution hit the air
The girls hadn't even started taking down our posters
When the boys started cutting off their hair

The radio stations all decided angst was finally old enough
It ought to have a proper home
Dead, fat, or rich, nobody’s left to #%&*$#
About the goings on in self destructive zones

#2686967 - 03/08/09 05:17 AM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: vault_dweller]  
Hentzau Offline
Hentzau  Offline

Tampa, Florida USA
I've never had a problem with steam because I refuse to buy anything that it is attached to, but then I'm still using a dial-up connection.

I vote with my wallet, at least I feel like that vote is worthwhile.

#2686974 - 03/08/09 06:04 AM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: bisher]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Originally Posted By: bisher
After installation, it is now updating, do I not have a choice, on my low bandwith it's going to take 2 hours. I would like to be able to choose when and if I update.

It feels like I have bought the game off Steam, a bit unnerving.

Exactly what GoGamer, Gamestop, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, Amazon and anyone else who sells games says. Someday there will be a reckoning. :-)

Jason

#2686981 - 03/08/09 06:45 AM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Quote:
I think once it started patching...that ticked me off...

I thought we liked patches, as they fix bugs?

Wow, I really need to get on the memo distribution list.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2686984 - 03/08/09 06:56 AM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: Dart]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Quote:
A lot of people like steam, it works OK I guess. I'm old fashioned in that I like my PC games to be unattached to a third party in order to play (yes it has off line mode in steam, but steam is still there).

this coming from a XBL member, lol... We've been talking about how PC games need to have a service like our beloved Xbox Live... well thats what Steam looks to be doing... it got a slow start but I think it's coming along and working well... and now loving my Steam, and try and buy all my games by it.

Achievments, friends list, invite to games, join friend games, auto updates, in game voice comms... XBL has it, Steam is implementing it well lately.

#2686987 - 03/08/09 07:11 AM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: Magnum]  
Goalie Offline
Goalie  Offline

BC, Canada
Being in a rural area I love Steam. I have to drive two hours to buy a game in a store, yet with Steam I can download the game, and have it in a matter of hours rather than driving to another city or having to wait for shipping.

#2687258 - 03/08/09 07:10 PM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
I also have no problem with Steam and would rather have it as opposed to what they were originally going to use, which was Securom. Hell, right now I would mind if it was activated with kerosene.

My problem is that I'm setting here looking at the new game box, and its contents, with nothing to play it on. I ordered the special edition copy from Amazon because I had a gift certificate for $25 that I had to use or lose. Hey--what a deal! I got three extra sheets of paper and a DVD of a show I have already seen twice on the history channel.

Anyway, my old faithful P4 single core rig barely handled the demo on low settings. Then--just last night its AGP Nvidia 7600GT went south, so I had to stick the 6800GS that was previously in it just to get running again. I vowed I wasn't going to even attempt the full game on "old faithful" and wait on the new PC to come in, regardless.

Unfortunately, the new system will not be here before Friday the 13th. (Damn, I hope that isn't a bad sign). I had to downgrade my GPU choice from the 295GTX to the 285GTX because there is a severe shortage of the 295's right now. Oh, well, at least I saved $145 on my build.

Since I'm going to keep my old XP based system as a back up, and to play stuff that Vista may not like, I used some of the refund to order a better GPU for it. ATI went a little further with the AGP based cards than Nvidia did, and I found an HD2600 1 gig memory card for $96 delivered.

Still, it seems a shame to have to spend almost a hundred bucks on old technology when I just spent two grand on the technology that replaces it.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#2687335 - 03/08/09 09:43 PM Re: Why is steam involved in my install of Empire Total War? [Re: Flogger23m]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
The only bad thing about Steam is that once its tied to your account, you can't sell it without selling your account of paying some $10 fee (I think).

Yeah, this is lame, but I guess it is the price we pay for convenience.

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.