Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2666072 - 02/04/09 05:21 AM Review: Strike Fighters 2  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

The latest from Third Wire, Strike Fighters 2, is reviewed by Chuck "PFunk" Bellows,
http://www.simhq.com/_air12/air_396a.html

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2666088 - 02/04/09 06:08 AM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: citizen guod]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USAFMTL
Unregistered

Not a bad review but...........

a point of interest.....
* Limited mod-ability due to weapons pack.

Not true, TK hasn't released the tools yet. It's not any different then with the other series. He has and will deliver these tools. So I can't see how that is a accurate statement.

#2666160 - 02/04/09 01:03 PM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: ]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
There's a nude patch for TRA???

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#2666313 - 02/04/09 04:44 PM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: Legend]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Chuck,
Good review and write up, thanks.

Dave,
I don't want to speak for Chuck, but I gather he was saying it wasn't in the purchased version. Not that it wouldn't be made available later, as you said.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2666488 - 02/04/09 09:05 PM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: 20mm]  
tflash Offline
tflash  Offline

Belgium
On the spot, this review!
And yes, TK has kept the dream alive! I don't know what it is about this sim, but it seems to connect somehow. It really gives me this bond with an aviation reality I dreamt of since being a kid, when Phantoms flew over my head in Germany. I have any sim you can name on my rig, but TK's series will always hold that special place.

#2666534 - 02/04/09 10:26 PM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: ]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Originally Posted By: USAFMTL
Not a bad review but...........

a point of interest.....
* Limited mod-ability due to weapons pack.

Not true, TK hasn't released the tools yet. It's not any different then with the other series. He has and will deliver these tools. So I can't see how that is a accurate statement.

I'll speak to this. As it stands right now, without any tools and with a minimal weapons set centered around early Cold War aircraft and with external tanks for only the stock friendly and enemy aircraft, this sim is currently limited in what it can do, for right now. The purchaser is only going to get what's available right now and that's the point the review tried to make.

Sure, it's still versatile. It'll still accept mods of different kinds, and smile, but it wouldn't make much sense to place some aircraft or ground objects in there if the weapons and gun data files won't support them. So, yes, it's every bit as mod-able as any other ThirdWire title, but as a practical matter, without the tools to support it being in place yet (namely a weapons editor), it can only realistically support a very limited number of aircraft and ground objects.

Now, as the last line of the article said, once the tools are in place, it shouldn't be any different than any other 3rd Wire title.

pfunk

Last edited by PFunk; 02/04/09 10:27 PM.
#2666560 - 02/04/09 11:40 PM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PFunk]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
I've always believed that as far as TK was concerned given his budget there were 2 multiplayer options for the Third Wire series - the limited but functional that we had or nothing at all & I guess that the latter won out.
& again I've always believed that even outside the TW series only a relative handful of flight simmers fly mp with by far the majority not bothered (those that are bothered are quite vocal though neaner).

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#2666593 - 02/05/09 12:52 AM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: BUFF]  
MoonJumper Offline
MoonJumper  Offline

D-CHOC
RE: no multiplayer

Its not that TK wanted to drop it, he was forced to do so because Vista lacks the MS direct play feature stuff on which TKs MP code is based.
His budget is to limited for coding something new, so he did the next best thing and focused on single player only, for now.

mj

#2666723 - 02/05/09 04:58 AM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PFunk]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USAFMTL
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: PFunk
Now, as the last line of the article said, once the tools are in place, it shouldn't be any different than any other 3rd Wire title.

Then why state it as a con then?

#2666727 - 02/05/09 05:17 AM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: ]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Originally Posted By: USAFMTL
Originally Posted By: PFunk

Then why state it as a con then?

Because someone will buy it and wonder why they can't add tanks for a Sud Vatour.

pfunk

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#2666810 - 02/05/09 12:41 PM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: PFunk]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
The fact that even now, after so many years, we still need to manually compile the weapons/guns files, is far more worrying than the interim lack of an SF2 weapons/guns tool.

Cheers

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#2667052 - 02/05/09 06:53 PM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: AD]  
baltika Offline
baltika  Offline

Scotland
Originally Posted By: AD
The fact that even now, after so many years, we still need to manually compile the weapons/guns files, is far more worrying than the interim lack of an SF2 weapons/guns tool.

Cheers

There has been a suggestion floated over on CA that the time will come when weapons will simply be dropped into the /Weapons folder and the game will see them, much like planes and groundobjects are now. The current community wep packs (Community Wep pack v 2.52, and of course the Mirage Factory Wep packs, which pioneered this format) tend to suggest this is the way it will be going, as each weapon has its own folder with the .bmp and .ini files in that folder.

As to when that will be implemented, well, who knows?

But I remember the days when all ground objects had to be listed in the groundobjectdata.ini file, and fortunatley those days are long gone. . .

Back on topic, the review seems fair enough to me, and the new content is intriguing, although as my aging system is struggling to run the "old" titles (WoE, WoV, SFG and FE) as updated to the current patch standards, I may have to hold off on buying SF2 until I get a hardware upgrade sigh

#2667260 - 02/05/09 11:57 PM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: baltika]  
TheHammer Offline
TheHammer  Offline

San Diego, CA
urrgh! no MP. a step backwards in my eyes, but if the older stuff could not be carried through for Vista then o.k. maybe in the future, and real MP mission COOP and not just the limited COOP that the series had. i know our group would fly it - i have done SP in this series (the Cuban Cigar campaign - or whatever that was - user made) and it is excellent! but lack of real COOP kills it for us as that is our bread and butter.

yes, this limited group is vocal. wink

Last edited by Steel; 02/05/09 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Helmut Fritz
Wings of Fury, XO
http://www.rlgaming.com
#2667434 - 02/06/09 04:17 AM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: TheHammer]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USAFMTL
Unregistered

I have been modding this sim series since 2002 and not once had the MP issues ever made me think it was lacking, it doesn't lack at all. Would we get more people if there was good MP, hell yeah, but you know, it sure isn't stopping our community as it grows daily, and the downloads from CA daily is huge. Yep we are vocal, because all people like to do is kick us down, and many have never even flew the sim. The more people kick, the louder we get.

#2667453 - 02/06/09 04:44 AM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: ]  
TheHammer Offline
TheHammer  Offline

San Diego, CA
well i guess we REALLY like the MP style of play in F4, F4AF, and IL2 - not the dogfight stuff, the mission based coop or head 2 head play. real missions that are not just select from a menu and go. flight plans, objectives, briefings, etc. that is what i would like to see in this series. i know the whole group would buy it then. like i said, i have flown the game and it is really good - especially some of the user made content.

Helmut Fritz
Wings of Fury, XO
http://www.rlgaming.com
#2667689 - 02/06/09 04:02 PM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: ]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Quote:
Yep we are vocal, because all people like to do is kick us down, and many have never even flew the sim. The more people kick, the louder we get.

I'm sorry, I didn't know you were being kicked down. For what and by whom?

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2668087 - 02/07/09 12:55 AM Re: Review: Strike Fighters 2 [Re: 20mm]  
rockhpi Offline
rockhpi  Offline

Hazel Park, MI
I'm a person who couldn't get WOV/SF to work on Vista -I applied the files and got rid of the crashing but always had graphical glitches (forum posters blamed my quad core or my dual vidcards...I dunno). But I've been away from TK for a year or so and I miss my jet fix. So a few questions:

Do the clouds still spin?

How is the AI? (I remember enemy AI low on fuel flying straight home and not evading when attacked, wingmen not following instructions, etc.)

The review made it seem like we could use planes from the other titles but this thread seems to indicate otherwise. Will I be able to plop in my beloved Sabre?

MP is unimportant to me.

Last edited by rockhpi; 02/07/09 01:05 AM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.