Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2659738 - 01/25/09 03:56 PM Anybody working on the Grand Campaign?  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
Well, I finished the 'deployment' campaign, and was feeling pretty confident.

So, I jumped into the Grand Campaign. Let's just say this one is a little more difficult. It took me a half dozen tries to adjust my tactics and get my crap together enough to make it past the first mission. Once I did that, I made it past the next 2 missions on the first try. I think the "deployment" campaign will help one get comfortable flying the Ka-50, the big campaign provides a multilayered threat environment, but once over the initial (discouraging) hump, I have found it very enjoyable.

The biggest trouble for me is IFF, since everybody is using Russian equipment (so far anyway).

How far into the GC are you and are you still enjoying it?

Steam: Sinner6
Uplay: Sinner76028
MWO: Sinner6
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2659863 - 01/25/09 08:00 PM Re: Anybody working on the Grand Campaign? [Re: sinner6]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

On almost all GOW missions, red and blue use different equipment. Though in chapter 1 both sides use Russian equipment, they are of different types. Please read the briefing to see enemy unit types assigned to each side.

--
44th VFW
#2660085 - 01/26/09 03:52 AM Re: Anybody working on the Grand Campaign? [Re: GrayGhost]  
_815_TooCooL Offline
_815_TooCooL  Offline

Seoul, Korea
It's mainly done by info on briefing & ABRIS screen.
Overall positioning of friendly & enemy won't change much from that.
Russia use T-80 mainly, enemy using T-72, M1A1 Abrams etc.
Understand battlefield situation and do avoid Fratricide.
Once you get the hang of it, it is great fun with many random triggers.
I like it more than any dynamic mission generator, very reasonable.

My mission success rate is 56 currently and I rarely rearm and don't use score window(cheat for me).

System: Core2Duo E8500, 4G ram, 8800GT, SLC SSD, and Vista 32bit. LG W2600HP 26" LCD.
Controls : MSFFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek rudder, Saitek throttle quadrant, and TrackIR4
BS Setting : medium with visibility HIGH
More skill you get, more you Love DCS:Black Shark.
#2660486 - 01/26/09 06:49 PM Re: Anybody working on the Grand Campaign? [Re: _815_TooCooL]  
McVittees Offline
McVittees  Offline

London, England
I'm on stage 7 of the first chapter of the GOW. I've flown about 18-20 missions as I lost the campaign once already. It really is rather tough, you really have to be on your game to survive - let alone progress! Also, I have to admit I have hit that 'refly' button at the end of couple of missions: I console myself that although this is a cheat, it is still mentally demanding having to immediately refly a 40 odd minute mission - there are no short cuts to success in this sim! smile

One thing I have added to the DCS wish list is an option for the campaign to flag missions within a stage as already having been flown. Then, when you have to replay a stage you'll get missions you haven't flown before ones you have (at the moment it's determined by your score).

Originally Posted By: TooCooL34
My mission success rate is 56 currently and I rarely rearm and don't use score window(cheat for me).

I know what you mean, but without it how you do you know if you've done enough? The briefings are not always clear about how much you have to do to succeed. I like to pretend it makes up for the lack of radio comms from ground forces or a FAC.

Hats of to Wags for the campaign. It really is a great piece of work!

Oh yes, one more thing, but is it just me but are enemy Hinds a royal pain in the butt? You can hear me cursing when they're chewing my ground forces near their own lines and all I can do is watch helplessly. I've learnt through bitter experience to not engage enemy aircraft anywhere near the flot. It's guaranteed SAM up the bum! (I've also been hot down by Hinds twice...) frown

i5 3570k@4.3Ghz, Z77A-GD55, 8Gb RAM, HD5850, 24" BenQ@1920x1080,Crucial M4 256Gb SSD, 64bit Vista SP2
#2660661 - 01/27/09 12:44 AM Re: Anybody working on the Grand Campaign? [Re: McVittees]  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
One thing I will say is that the campaign certainly "feels" more like a battlefield than any other sim I have flown, and I have flown them all. Nothing compares to coming in low over a city at dawn with some of the buildings burning, columns of tanks rolling, and artillery coming down in the area you are moving toward. My previous favorite campaign was the "Vallhalla" campaign for Jane's F/A-18 , done by...what was the guy's name....oh, yeah- Matt Wagner.

This campaign has little in the way of sightseeing, with short ingress times and lethal penalties for not paying very close attention to the tactical implications of each move. I find myself using what amounts to a "bounding overwatch" approach, moving in quick hops. The thing is, that I basically use my wingman to do a lot of sniffing for me, and I find he is better at spotting targets than I...

....I almost feel like I'm cheating. However, I will pride myself on what must be better than average wingman management, as the wingman does survive most missions with a dozen kills most missions. A well timed "Rejoin Formation" seems to save the most lives.

As for the enemy Mi-24's, I figure they are there to work on my boys on the ground, so I take up station behind the troops and let the enemy helos come to me, obtain lock,tell wingman to engage bandits, and do my best. I have had some hair raising A2A kills, but always with the support of my crunchies shooting at the bandits as well.

#2660784 - 01/27/09 05:02 AM Re: Anybody working on the Grand Campaign? [Re: sinner6]  
uhoh6 Offline
uhoh6  Offline

Sun Valley, Idaho
Alot is tactics. I was hopeless in the beginning, even with icons on. That's becasue I started out in sneak and peak mode, going in too far.

If you stand off at alt before ingress and study opposition, take out air defenses, stay 3k away from MBTs, and save the low level stuff for when it's safe, you will progress. Wags suggests using the zoom if you are without icons, and this works very well.

If I really can't see in front I send my wingie on recon 3-5k and DL his sightings, if he gets in trouble, I call him back with "cover me", noting Sam contrails and their origin.

I save my vikrs for MBTs, High-end AA, and any sams. Though manpads can be approached to just within canon range, I have no compunction about taking them out with a Vikhr.

The egress can be very dangerous. If I have a long way to return from behind enemy lines along a different route than ingress, I find a safe place, and gain some altitude to study my path. If I'm low on ammo and over 55% mission success, I may go back the way I came, regardless of flight path.

Since the wingie can get into trouble easy, I try to use his Vikhrs early on hard targets or air defenses, I lock up something, and say "attack my target", soon as I hear "missle away" and then his "Shack" or "rounds on target", i give him another. That way I save my precious vikhrs for future trouble.

As to IFF, abris is useful with many units listed. On the front usually bad guys will be pointing at you. Behind the lines they are all bad, hehe.

Last edited by uhoh6; 01/27/09 08:11 AM.

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600
#2661322 - 01/27/09 10:48 PM Re: Anybody working on the Grand Campaign? [Re: uhoh6]  
McVittees Offline
McVittees  Offline

London, England
Originally Posted By: sinner6
I find myself using what amounts to a "bounding overwatch" approach, moving in quick hops. The thing is, that I basically use my wingman to do a lot of sniffing for me, and I find he is better at spotting targets than I...

....I almost feel like I'm cheating. However, I will pride myself on what must be better than average wingman management, as the wingman does survive most missions with a dozen kills most missions. A well timed "Rejoin Formation" seems to save the most lives.

This is exactly what I do. I use a 'rope-a-dope' with the wingmen. Send them in to ferrit out the SAMs, then smack 'em up with Vikhrs when I spot the contrails.

Originally Posted By: uhoh6
Though manpads can be approached to just within canon range, I have no compunction about taking them out with a Vikhr.

I do this when I'm feeling lazy or really frightened wink as it seems an expensive (unrealistic?) way to take out a man! (Although when I think about it now one Vikhr is cheaper than replacing an attack helicopter.

Oh yes, one more thing - I agree the campaign is very atmospheric - but if it had some background raido comms it would be breath taking!

i5 3570k@4.3Ghz, Z77A-GD55, 8Gb RAM, HD5850, 24" BenQ@1920x1080,Crucial M4 256Gb SSD, 64bit Vista SP2
#2661337 - 01/27/09 11:21 PM Re: Anybody working on the Grand Campaign? [Re: McVittees]  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
Hmmm, is it possible to fly the campaign in a cooperative mode?

Your comment on radio comms got me to thinking about something-

I suppose a sufficiently industrious soul could edit the GOC to include triggers for sounds, provided ED did not have a problem with this.

#2661518 - 01/28/09 04:53 AM Re: Anybody working on the Grand Campaign? [Re: sinner6]  
uhoh6 Offline
uhoh6  Offline

Sun Valley, Idaho
Originally Posted By: sinner6
Hmmm, is it possible to fly the campaign in a cooperative mode?

Your comment on radio comms got me to thinking about something-

I suppose a sufficiently industrious soul could edit the GOC to include triggers for sounds, provided ED did not have a problem with this.

Yes, not only could that be done in a varetiy of ways with triggers and flags, but I think one of mbots missions has data links to new targets triggered when you reach a certain state.

I was trying to figure out what to do about columns blocked by a downed bridge---to simulate a bridging crew ( grd vehicles won't cross water)

One way: put AA at bridge site with trigger: unit dead= trucks (simulating a bridging crew) rush to bridge site, their last way point a small trigger zone which spawns column on the the other side. Appropriate radio messages all along, with some enemy helo action to distract player from taking out trucks.

I just hope many will be learning the ME in the future.

Last edited by uhoh6; 01/28/09 04:54 AM.

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600
#2661576 - 01/28/09 07:37 AM Re: Anybody working on the Grand Campaign? [Re: McVittees]  
Shepski Offline
Shepski  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted By: McVittees
I agree the campaign is very atmospheric - but if it had some background raido comms it would be breath taking!

In the works!

#2661581 - 01/28/09 07:53 AM Re: Anybody working on the Grand Campaign? [Re: Shepski]  
uhoh6 Offline
uhoh6  Offline

Sun Valley, Idaho
Originally Posted By: Shepski
I agree the campaign is very atmospheric - but if it had some background raido comms it would be breath taking!

In the works!

TY for all your input and work on the sim, sir. I was frustrated at first with the GOW, but I love it now. Once you wean yourself off the icons, it gets really fun. I was hovering tonite early in chapter 2 deep in enemy country working on an arty site with my canon, and in came a big air strike with a roar and many impacts--late in the mission: spectacular!

The thing is terribly addicting. smile

Another thing I've learned is that trim reset + turn on target and a ground lock will set a perfect hover 90% of the time, I rarely use auto hover any more. It may just be my setup: FFB2 CH throttle and pedals.

Last edited by uhoh6; 01/28/09 07:55 AM.

#2662160 - 01/28/09 11:35 PM Re: Anybody working on the Grand Campaign? [Re: Shepski]  
McVittees Offline
McVittees  Offline

London, England
Originally Posted By: Shepski

In the works!

Whoot! Can't wait! copter

#2662188 - 01/29/09 12:20 AM Re: Anybody working on the Grand Campaign? [Re: McVittees]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

A note about the campaign from Matt Wagner:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=627599&postcount=27

--
44th VFW
#2662212 - 01/29/09 01:01 AM Re: Anybody working on the Grand Campaign? [Re: GrayGhost]  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
Interesting post from Matt, there. That was also the first official word of a patch I had seen.
I am starting the Campaign over and will be not Reflying missions, with the understanding that accepting less than perfect results can improve mission variety.

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.