Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2654773 - 01/18/09 03:34 PM A little ROF heads-up.  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Hi Guys,

With a little urging from the ROF blog forumites ( wink ), NEOQB's business manager Max Goryuchkin forwarded a few ROF tidbits today that might be of interest:

1). about release date - our aim is to make "Rise of Flight" available to everybody at the same time all over the world.

2). Some special "tasty" update on the next week.

I've heard the tasty update is already 95% completed.

(finally something from the ROF guys to be looking forward to in the next few days) Smile2

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2654796 - 01/18/09 04:06 PM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: FlyRetired]  
Tbag Offline
Tbag  Offline

Haslemere, UK
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, can't wait!

The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. - Douglas Adams
#2654818 - 01/18/09 04:27 PM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: Tbag]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

A tasty demo or a video?

#2654839 - 01/18/09 04:54 PM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: Sim]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: Sim
A tasty demo or a video?

LOL Sim, I think some of this might be called alfa/promo-version media.

(naturally, we'll have to wait to find out what we get) wink

One thing that comes to mind, although I'm sure NEOQB has always wanted to put forward its best effort in these presentations, is that the beta version of the sim is still in preparation, so what we've seen has been from alfa rendering. There's been times when the video's and some of the recent screenshots haven't seemed matched in quality, and I'm guessing it's been more than just issues caused by low-res video rendering, but possibly a result from changes and transitions between the different workings of the internal game engine. This has been interesting to see over time, but the point being, what we've seen keeps on getting better and better.

#2654875 - 01/18/09 05:45 PM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: FlyRetired]  
franksvalli Offline
franksvalli  Offline

Thanks so much Dave! I knew they were working hard, but sometimes it's hard to be patient when the regular updates stop coming in!

Actually I'm excited about #1 as much as #2. I've always been worried about their distribution plan for North America and Europe (and other areas of course), since they don't seem to have a publisher for those areas yet. I know they're open to digital distribution methods, so maybe this is where that comes in?

Or maybe they've been making progress in talks with other publishers!

Anyhow, looking forward to whatever new stuff they have this next week. smile

#2654886 - 01/18/09 06:02 PM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: franksvalli]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: franksvalli
I know they're open to digital distribution methods, so maybe this is where that comes in?

Certainly so for the add-on distributuion plans, and also a means of verifying playing versions.

#2655028 - 01/18/09 10:26 PM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: FlyRetired]  
franksvalli Offline
franksvalli  Offline

Found some interesting stuff here: http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?s=a372268da8b9d7275cce959b00079ed7&t=44272&page=54

1. When? (possibly the level of quarters)
2. Where will it be available to acquire abroad?

LOFT:
1) Q1 2009 - 90% (Stage 1)
2) Steam (on the other thus far I do not know too much negotiations and too little sense)

That's as accurate translation as I can figure using both Google and Yahoo. smile

#2655081 - 01/18/09 11:38 PM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: franksvalli]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: franksvalli
Found some interesting stuff here: http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?s=a372268da8b9d7275cce959b00079ed7&t=44272&page=54

1. When? (possibly the level of quarters)
2. Where will it be available to acquire abroad?

LOFT:
2) Steam (on the other thus far I do not know too much negotiations and too little sense)

That's as accurate translation as I can figure using both Google and Yahoo. smile

First quarter: from the beginning of January to the end of March
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_quarter_of_a_calendar_year#Subdivisions

So one-two more months

#2655087 - 01/18/09 11:44 PM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: franksvalli]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Dave, that's pretty significant!

(Steam as a distribution system, and as a verification system)

I know you've seen the recent PC Pilot magazine interview, and it contains some interesting insights into ROF (from issue No. 59, Jan-Feb 2009).

PC Pilot: Please tell us a little about the multiplayer mode and what form this will take?

Albert Zhiltsov: Multiplayer mode will be co-operative. That means there will be two or more teams in the game consisting of an attacking team and a defending side. Naturally, they have opposing tasks and objectives. A mission has to be accomplished within a time limit, but each destroyed target adds time to the mission timer. The attacking team can try to fulfill additional tasks which will be activated after the destruction of the main target. The mission is considered won if the main objective is accomplished and at least one pilot of the attacking team remains alive once the mission time has elapsed. After that, teams change around. The player will be able to set various parameters for the mission to suit their own personal preferences. So you can create fast and intense missions, or ones that demand more thought and the use of tactics. There will also be a system of awards, medals, and 'trophies'. The latter, for example, could include receiving part of the aircraft destroyed by the player, such as the fabric covering, which was common practice during World War One. A game server can be created by any user, but all the game information relating to results is registered on one central server. On release, or shortly afterwards, selected servers, running under Windows and Linux, will be available, with missions rotated-depending on results.

PC Pilot: When it comes to the missions how have they been designed and what kind of scenarios will be on offer?

Albert Zhiltsov: The system of missions is quite complex. It includes trigger events and timers, internal messages to groups and separate units. There may also be the possibility of being able to watch videos and work with different cameras. You choose an aircraft and a regiment [squadron] that actually used that particular machine, and a time period - during the war - day, month and year. According to a basis of set parameters, the generator creates missions in particular geographic locations, which start from aerodromes whose position is historically accurate for the moment in time. your opponents will be regiments which have fought at a given place during your chosen time period. The mission tasks are typical for aircraft of that time: reconnaissnce and interception of scouts, free 'hunting' and the destruction of balloons and ground tragets. Before your flight, you will only be given details about the main mission objective, but the generator can add new waypoints and random events. As a result no two missions will ever be the same. Single-user and multiplayer missions are based on one system and have similar design. So this means that missions can work in both modes. The generator for multiplayer missions is now in development.

Some cool features I've cherry-picked from the interview (things I like):

The historical places.

AZ: We are creatng more than 550 aerodromes, which will be placed as geographically accurate as possible. In addition, there will be more than 700 settlements and more than 10 large historical cities.

A global network game mode with a system of pilot's ratings.

Animated individual 'characters' and 'people' are to be included.

AZ: As far as detail is concerned, we also plan to add 'mechanics' in missions at the aerodromes - after all, someone should be available to help you with the engine of your aircraft.

Enlisting quality mod contributions, that can also provide additional content and improvements.

AZ: There is a great emphasis on attention to detail. For example, for the first time in flight simulation we will have realistic grass and pilots will communicate with each other through hand signals. Above all, 'Rise of Flight' will be a platform which other third-party developers will be able to support, along with members of the flight sim community.

#2655170 - 01/19/09 02:06 AM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: FlyRetired]  
Double_Tap Offline
Double_Tap  Offline

Sunshine Coast, Australia
*blinks*

Gigabyte GA-Z77X UDH-3, i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3, GeForce GTX 680 2GB.
Saitek Rudder Pedals
Cougar Hotas #08970 U2 #20
Thrustmaster Warthog
TrackIr 4 Pro
Windows 7 64 bit
#2655191 - 01/19/09 02:50 AM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: Double_Tap]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

*winks*

Speaking of "cherry-picking" - individual trees (up to 100,000 tress in one frame).

AZ: The game is created using our own new graphics engine which has a working title of 'Digital Nature'. The engine, written by the Neoqb team, has been totally written from scratch. It allows us to display large areas of terrain (up to 200,000 square kilometers - more than 124,000 square miles) with a high degree of efficiency. As a result we have tried to incorporate as much detail as possible...

Historically-inspired mission generation.

AZ: Career mode - this is the one end-user mode which is built around the mission generator. The generator is based on historical events and the accurate location and placement of regiments, places, opponents etc.

My favorite part of the PC Pilot interview......why we fight!

AZ: Our aim with 'Rise of Flight' is to build a platform which not only allows you to learn about the tactics, the history and the aircraft of the First World War, but also teaches you how to co-operate and work with other people [when flying online].

(learn or burn) wink

#2655291 - 01/19/09 09:15 AM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: FlyRetired]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Quote:
LOFT:

Both positives for me.

Q1 is good, I was expecting a Q2 release. If it doesn't make Q1, Q2 is still good
Steam is also a positive for me, I have used steam for Red Orchestra and found it a good way to disribute software and play online.

#2655292 - 01/19/09 09:16 AM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: FlyRetired]  
Tbag Offline
Tbag  Offline

Haslemere, UK
Thanks FR, that is some very interesting info! Much appreciated! smile Especially the bit about online play sounds very interesting. Can't wait to try how that actually plays and how big the difference is to the il2 style of dogfight and coop games.

The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. - Douglas Adams
#2655295 - 01/19/09 09:23 AM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: Double_Tap]  
CHDT Offline
CHDT  Offline

Switzerland
YEAH, this is übergreat....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Multiplayer mode will be co-operative. That means there will be two or more teams in the game consisting of an attacking team and a defending side. Naturally, they have opposing tasks and objectives. A mission has to be accomplished within a time limit, but each destroyed target adds time to the mission timer.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

... no more stupid targetless furballs like in other sims :-))))

#2655306 - 01/19/09 09:56 AM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: CHDT]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
Nice thanks!

"We plan to..." is a bit worrying as we're expecting it to be released next month but chin up and stop being so self-centred Mington. That told him. I've turned into Oliver Hardy it'll be all the waiting

Oh plan to as in "Plan to with addons" maybe so it's still on then Smile2

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2655313 - 01/19/09 10:51 AM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
PVT_Roger Offline
PVT_Roger  Offline

Davenport, IA U.S.A.
Gotta say this sentence...

Quote:
A mission has to be accomplished within a time limit, but each destroyed target adds time to the mission timer.

leaves me a little flat. It smacks of gaming the game, something you might see in a console. I'm hoping it's not what I think, or if it is, that it's an option which can be turned off.

Everything else sounds wonderful though.

PR

#2655316 - 01/19/09 10:58 AM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: PVT_Roger]  
CHDT Offline
CHDT  Offline

Switzerland
No, on the contrary, it's much better, what made me, in the long run, IL-2 annoying, this is these dogfight servers in which the players just start alone from the airfield to gather on a point, of course with the GPS icon, for a totally senseless furball.

#2655325 - 01/19/09 11:34 AM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: CHDT]  
Tbag Offline
Tbag  Offline

Haslemere, UK
I could also imagine that the time-constraint makes players stick to their actual mission objectives rather then go after each enemy plane that they spot. But that we will only know after we've played the game for a while.

#2655361 - 01/19/09 01:04 PM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ming_EAF19
"We plan to..." is a bit worrying as we're expecting it to be released next month but chin up and stop being so self-centred Mington..

Ming, I just picked up this issue of PC Pilot, so with the slow boat from China, and the lag time coming to print, the interview is probably a couple of months old now. Smile2

There's a bit more in the magazine that speaks to the sim's design philosphy, and as a reminder, we can recall that this project was originally intended to be built using the IL-2 engine. However, there's one constant which we can use to compare past sims or game systems to, and that's how well they compare to their historical counterpart, to history itself.

PC Pilot: Other World War One simulations have been produced in the past, such as Red Baron, Red Baron II/3D, Over Flanders Fields, Knights of the Sky, Wings of Glory - to name a few. What are the key features that you thnk will differentiate Rise of Flight from previous World War One flight sims?

Albert Zhiltsov: I don't think it would be fair to compare those sims with ours. Our aim is to raise the bar of game development to a new level. It's very hard to create something new that has not been done before, but we can relate history in a different way. We considered what made all the other sims unique in their own way and then used the information gathered to take our own flight sim on to another level of realism and creativity.

(Rise of Flight is not a remake of another product, it has been built with its own proprietary game engine to enable new levels of simulation fidelity to be realized)

#2655559 - 01/19/09 06:28 PM Re: A little ROF heads-up. [Re: FlyRetired]  
Kegetys Offline
Kegetys  Offline

Finland
Quote:

[i]Albert Zhiltsov: Multiplayer mode will be co-operative. That means there will be two or more teams in the game consisting of an attacking team and a defending side...

That's not really what I'd call "co-op" mode (players vs players), I hope there will be real co-op as well (proper missions/campaign against AI opponents).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.