Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2652240 - 01/14/09 10:52 AM Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? *****  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Bledfin
Unregistered

I'm so out of touch with the sim genre. Many years ago I remember admiring Kesmai's Air arrior, which was for me the epitome of online multiplayer air combat for WW2. I saw the SVGA version and was hooked - you were really part of a huge campaing.

Players flew fighters, bombers, drive tanks, anti aircraft guns (flakpanzers) and everyone could conduct huge assault and defence campaigns.

Air Warrior was closed down in 2001 after being purchased by News Corp.

Does anyone premember playing it? The game ran for close on 20 years or so.....

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2652604 - 01/14/09 10:38 PM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: ]  
Hardtale Offline
Hardtale  Offline

I started playing it on GEnie, then played it for years as it went from one service to the next (AOL, Gamestorm).

I have a lot of great memories from those days.

Many of the AW vets moved to Aces High and can still be found there playing today.

#2653198 - 01/15/09 10:03 PM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: Hardtale]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Bledfin
Unregistered

thx HardTale ! I will go and look at Aces High. Great to hear the community somehow lived on.

#2660249 - 01/26/09 01:45 PM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: ]  
Talon Offline
Talon  Offline

Tampa, FL USA
My first online kill was a Spitfire from a P-51. I remember that kill like it was yesterday. My adrenalin was on overdrive during that fight as I realized I was fighting some "live' and not AI. Oh those GEnie days sure bring back memories.

--T

Support simulation in the classroom.
#2692454 - 03/17/09 04:28 AM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: ]  
ebud Offline
ebud  Offline

Orlando
Man o man did I waste sooo much money on AW when it was hourly. Heck I think it took 5 dollars just to sit in a turret of a B17 from takeoff to about 20,000'. Argh, man I wish I had that cash right now smile It was like crack, especially on squad night. Good times smile

#2692466 - 03/17/09 05:05 AM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: ebud]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Those were good days. Always liked to try and fly in the C-47 loaded with supplies just above the waterline. Or take a fighter to angels 25 then drop in like a hammer. Wonderful memories.

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#2700929 - 03/31/09 06:18 PM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: citizen guod]  
jones07 Offline
jones07  Offline

Phila,Pa. USA
Started playing it on GEnie, then on the Ten-network and AOL. Then Real life kicked in with wife kids home payments................... Kind of loss track of gaming for a bit frown

#2701761 - 04/02/09 01:16 AM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: jones07]  
RookieCAF Offline
RookieCAF  Offline

Great Barrington MA
Yea, I wanted to like Aces High, but it lacksthe charm and community feeling I felt..

Rookie <CAF> #1549 B Land

~Rookie
"Oderint Dum Metuant!"
#2706024 - 04/10/09 10:14 AM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: RookieCAF]  
AirWarriorVet Offline
AirWarriorVet  Offline

Arizona
Genie here also back in 1993,$3 an hour plus ISP fees, alot of dough, but the finest memories.

What really strikes me to this day? No one yet has rekindled the magic. AW had the most strategy based WWII sim in history, to this day. Setting aside the FM's, all the strat in the background that existed in that game was amazing. Goonie birds flying resupply to to factories, factories impacting plane availability, ect. That stats page when you logged on.

There still is a huge hole in the WWII flight sim market today. No genuine strat system to force the gameplay to true teamwork, and has left endless furballing / alt-mongering in the wake.

Eidos almost had it in Confirmed Kill, but got the plug pulled in beta. I'm not talking about Dale Addinks rendition of CK that become Warbirds neither. WB was excellent in its time, but still missed the mark in my opinion.

CK was working on a "Limited Resource Engagement" would have been the best style of gameplay for flightsims period, if it had only seen the light of day. I was in the beta, and I spoke to Gillmartin in length about this. Sad it never happened, any no one ever picked up the ball and ran with it.

When I heard Jason ( 777 )was making a F-sim I tried to email him to talk about it, but he never gave me a chance to even break the ice about it. Never told him anything about it, just that I had an idea about a style/format of gameplay that would seperate him from the rest. Too bad.

Maybe someday, someone will be willing to talk.

Limited Resource Engagement (LRE) anyone care to gamble a guess as to what it entails?

AZ Rattler of The Outlaws (AW and so many more)
Steve Needham

#2733756 - 05/29/09 05:39 PM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: AirWarriorVet]  
Snakeyes Offline
XBL: sSnakeyes
Snakeyes  Offline

Arizona, USA
The first game for my new PC in 1980 was a boxed version of Air Warrior (DOS). I didn't play on the Genie network right away. I did the h2h stuff online with a local buddy. After awhile, I signed up for Genie and started playing online. I joined the Knights Cross Squadron (The CO at the time was Oneway) and learned a lot about flying and fighting from a fellow pilot named Mars. It was bigtime fun and really expensive as others have alluded to in this thread. It was awesome to crew a B-17 (Deathstar) with human pilots and gunners and go on a bombing run together. Todays Aces High only allows a human pilot with one gunner in a bomber, although both can jump from station to station. AW brings back some fond memories.

Rattler of the Knights Cross Squadron

cheers

#2736847 - 06/04/09 01:35 AM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: Snakeyes]  
AirWarriorVet Offline
AirWarriorVet  Offline

Arizona
Originally Posted By: sSnakeyes
The first game for my new PC in 1980 was a boxed version of Air Warrior (DOS). I didn't play on the Genie network right away. I did the h2h stuff online with a local buddy. After awhile, I signed up for Genie and started playing online. I joined the Knights Cross Squadron (The CO at the time was Oneway) and learned a lot about flying and fighting from a fellow pilot named Mars. It was bigtime fun and really expensive as others have alluded to in this thread. It was awesome to crew a B-17 (Deathstar) with human pilots and gunners and go on a bombing run together. Todays Aces High only allows a human pilot with one gunner in a bomber, although both can jump from station to station. AW brings back some fond memories.

Rattler of the Knights Cross Squadron

cheers

sSnakeyes, What color and letter did you fly on? ( A=grey B=red C=green )
I think you had my first choice of handle ( Rattler ) Wow, you were the guy, I flew on the A side (AZ,BZ,CZ) as they referred to the different sides, and AZ because I live in Arizona. I then select AZRattler as my handle.

I remember the color that Rattler flew on, just curious if I'm right. Oh, and I remember Mars.......

Steve

#2738718 - 06/07/09 01:07 PM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: AirWarriorVet]  
Snakeyes Offline
Snakeyes  Offline

Arizona, USA
Steve,

We flew for country B (red). I lived in Arizona at that time (and still do), thus the "Rattler" handle. A couple other squad mates names in the Knights Cross Squadron were Dweebinator and Havoc.

Currently, I am with the 325th FG Checkertails squadron in Aces High 2, but I haven't been active for a couple of years. Even though Aces High 2 is graphically and technically excellent for a MMOG, it doesn't hold the same charms for me that Air Warrior did. I flew IL-2 on Hyperlobby and online with other friends for quite a while. I have Rise of Flight pre-ordered and I'll soon see what fighting in the WWI kites is like.

Keith

#2743461 - 06/15/09 11:36 AM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: Snakeyes]  
Mars5547 Offline
Mars5547  Offline

United States
Lol. This is pretty funny. I haven't thought about AW in a long time, though back in the day I was fairly obsessed, playing nearly everyday and spending $300 /month to fly and fight online. I decide to google WWII air combat sims and get here. Imagine my surprise when I find that not only is there a thread about the game I used to play, but evidently some of these guys remember my old alter-ego. I refer to my old handle, 'Mars' former CO of the Blackdogs as well as former member of the KCS. Rattler, your former squadmate salutes you.

Reading this stuff brings back alot of memories. Btw, Ratt I moved to Phoenix about 6 years ago. Pm me and I'll send you my number, maybe tell some warstories.

Signed,

Richard, aka 'Mars'

#2743996 - 06/16/09 03:19 AM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: Mars5547]  
Snakeyes Offline
Snakeyes  Offline

Arizona, USA
Wow! I'm glad you found SimHQ and this post Mars. It's been a long, long time. Those were some great days playing AW with you and the KCS. I made some good friends during that time. The internet/GEnie opened up a whole new world to me. Heck yeah, PM sent. Rattler salutes you and raises his glass.

Keith aka 'Rattler'

cheers

#2900777 - 11/14/09 06:07 PM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: Snakeyes]  
Grayeagle Offline
Grayeagle  Offline

Phoenix AZ
wow .. some Phoenix Air Warriors smile

Hiyadoin .. I started playin DOS AW as 'Deader' in Oct 1989.
Switched my handle to Gray Eagle when I left the Warthogs of b-land, developed a real hatred of Fencedweeb .. became a FUBAR, I would dive through a cloud of Azz to get to the lone b-lander just to kill him first. There wasn't anything better than bustin a Warthog mission .. I embraced the Hate smile

A few years later I was hired as Lead Artist of Air Warrior, to bring it kickin an screamin into the windows age .. no more command line interface /m p870 on GEnie was history smile I useda think my Supra 2400 modem was *fast* -grin- ..playin AW on my Amiga 500 was my recreation, credit card bills ran 1500 give or take a month .. for years. It was an awesome era in many ways.

I am glad I was part of it. There will never be another like it.

-are ya good at flight sims?

Last edited by Grayeagle; 11/14/09 06:08 PM.

-GE aka Frank
#2901549 - 11/16/09 03:02 AM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: Grayeagle]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
Out of curiosity: Given that these older versions are no longer financially viable, mightn't it be possible to pick up rights? Given the way bandwidth and server costs have changed it would be possible to cut the subscription fee by a few hundred fold...

#2903672 - 11/18/09 08:40 PM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: Avimimus]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL
Well Aces High has been $15 a month for at least 7-8 years now from what I remember. I also remember paying $30 a month when it first came out of beta way back in the beginning.

I played AW back in the early 90's online (played earlier h2h locally) but I don't remember my handle or even what sides I flew on since I was never a part of a squadron back then.

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
#2909352 - 11/28/09 05:16 AM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: Snakeyes]  
Bloodletter Offline
Bloodletter  Offline

I used to fly with the "Dweebs of Death". We use to participate on the old 666th Internet demons mailing list. Concentric.net got lots of my money in AW subscriptions. Way back then the chat window listed everyone by their AW ID number not handles.

Grey Eagle, I still have a copy of the video you got when you purchased a ride in that P51 out of Florida.

Lots of great memories from Fight Nights, scenarios and all the regulars I flew with and against.

RobinHood --Dweebs of Death

#2909459 - 11/28/09 01:57 PM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: Bloodletter]  
Ziprick Offline
Ziprick  Offline

North of 49
I tried to play it on Genie one day but was a complete noob back then and gave the Air Warrior crowd a good laugh when I asked an admin in the AW forum why it wouldn't run when I clicked on the join button. It seems i neglected to even install the client software and was trying to run it like a flash game. Oops. I did get it running fine when I bought the boxed version but they closed it down not long after and I joined the Confirmed Kill Beta instead which was a better game anyway but that got killed too.

The price of doing the same old thing is far higher than the price of change.

BILL CLINTON
#2910885 - 12/01/09 03:40 AM Re: Remembering Air warrior online -- anyone remember it? [Re: Ziprick]  
Hardtale Offline
Hardtale  Offline

Got this in the mail the other day, looks like there is a reunion coming up for anyone interested:

http://awreunion.myevent.com/index.php

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.