Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2645883 - 01/03/09 11:17 PM Troubleshooting the data link system. What did I do wrong when trying to designate targets?  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Did you ever go through the datalink steps of designating a target and sending it to a wingman only to hear him replay, "Negative?" I know I did and I had no idea at which step I made a mistake. If you have encountered this situation and found a solution, please share. smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2645888 - 01/03/09 11:26 PM Re: Troubleshooting the data link system. What did I do wrong when trying to designate targets? [Re: letterboy1]  
LA_Gunz Offline
LA_Gunz  Offline

1. Lock your target with the Shkval
2. Choose the button which corresponds to your target on your datalink panel (diamond/house/square icon)
3. Choose Send/Mem to store that target in your ABRIS. You should now see an icon representing your target on your moving map
4. Choose the button which corresponds to your target on the datalink panel. If there is more than one of each, hit the button a second (or third or fourth) time to choose those icons. The icon will blink denoting that it is selected.
5. Choose the button on your datalink panel to send to wingman or send to all.
6. Choose Send/Mem to send the data to your wingman/wingmen.
7. Open your radio menu and tell your wingman/wingmen to attack datalinked target. There are several steps in doing this but I don't recall them at the moment. These aren't hard though as the radio menu is self explanatory.

#2645901 - 01/03/09 11:57 PM Re: Troubleshooting the data link system. What did I do wrong when trying to designate targets? [Re: LA_Gunz]  
wothan16 Offline
wothan16  Offline

Denmark
Originally Posted By: LA_Gunz
2. Choose the button which corresponds to your target on your datalink panel (diamond/house/square icon)
3. Choose Send/Mem to store that target in your ABRIS. You should now see an icon representing your target on your moving map
4. Choose the button which corresponds to your target on the datalink panel. If there is more than one of each, hit the button a second (or third or fourth) time to choose those icons. The icon will blink denoting that it is selected.
7. Open your radio menu and tell your wingman/wingmen to attack datalinked target. There are several steps in doing this but I don't recall them at the moment. These aren't hard though as the radio menu is self explanatory.

Missed one important step:

3a. Press the "Target mode reset button" (Backspace)

Wothan

#2645912 - 01/04/09 12:20 AM Re: Troubleshooting the data link system. What did I do wrong when trying to designate targets? [Re: wothan16]  
McVittees Offline
McVittees  Offline

London, England
Originally Posted By: wothan16

Wothan

I understand the data linking procedure to be a little different to what you have described when selecting a target from a group of datalink targets. You must choose the target type and the wingman before you cycle between datalink targets.

4. Choose the button which corresponds to your target on the datalink panel.
5a. If there is more than one datalink target, hit the target type button a second (or third or fourth) time to cycle targets. The icon will blink denoting that it is selected.
7. Open your radio menu and tell your wingman/wingmen to attack datalinked target.
dure is to select target type, select wingman and then press the target type button again if you want to cycle through different targets.

I haven't tried doing this any other way, but this is the method as stated in the manual and as explained by Mr Wagner in the Producers video notes.

i5 3570k@4.3Ghz, Z77A-GD55, 8Gb RAM, HD5850, 24" BenQ@1920x1080,Crucial M4 256Gb SSD, 64bit Vista SP2
#2645945 - 01/04/09 01:20 AM Re: Troubleshooting the data link system. What did I do wrong when trying to designate targets? [Re: McVittees]  
LA_Gunz Offline
LA_Gunz  Offline

Yeah, you guys are both right. To choose datalink targets whether storing them or sending them you have to have the Shkval "off".

#2646019 - 01/04/09 04:34 AM Re: Troubleshooting the data link system. What did I do wrong when trying to designate targets? [Re: LA_Gunz]  
Rhino4 Offline
Rhino4  Offline

The way I understand it, is that you only have to turn your Shkval off if you want to send targets stored in your ABRIS instead of targets locked up in your Shkval. Since the datalink system is tied to the Shkval, turning the Shkval off lets the datalink system know that you wish to send targets from an alternate source like the ABRIS or the PVI-800 (Not sure about the PVI-800). So....

Option 1: Do as stated above to send targets stored in your ABRIS if you have several different groups of targets stored that you wish to send all at once, or...

Option 2: Lock the target up. Store it. Click the corresponding target type icon on the datalink panel. Select whether you want to send to a specific wingman or to all. Hit send. That will only send the target you have locked up and will not tie the datalink to your ABRIS, thus negating the need to turn your shkval back on and get it back in position every time you wish to search for new targets.

#2646102 - 01/04/09 11:04 AM Re: Troubleshooting the data link system. What did I do wrong when trying to designate targets? [Re: Rhino4]  
McVittees Offline
McVittees  Offline

London, England
Originally Posted By: Rhino4
Option 2: Lock the target up. Store it. Click the corresponding target type icon on the datalink panel. Select whether you want to send to a specific wingman or to all. Hit send. That will only send the target you have locked up and will not tie the datalink to your ABRIS, thus negating the need to turn your shkval back on and get it back in position every time you wish to search for new targets.

If your going to do it that way, why not save time? All you need do is designate with the shkval and order 'engage my target'. No need to store or use datalink panel. smile

i5 3570k@4.3Ghz, Z77A-GD55, 8Gb RAM, HD5850, 24" BenQ@1920x1080,Crucial M4 256Gb SSD, 64bit Vista SP2
#2646131 - 01/04/09 01:28 PM Re: Troubleshooting the data link system. What did I do wrong when trying to designate targets? [Re: McVittees]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
An undocumented feature to slew the optics back to a target after a targeting system reset is to use the DL INGRESS button (next to SEND MEM). This is how we lock up each others targets in co-op.

Typically: Hit the DL INGRESS button, cycle the target you want to lock up (using the type buttons), The ABRIS icon will change so it has a cross through it, uncage the SHKVAL.

The SHKVAL will slew back to the approximate position of the selected if it's within parameters. A little hunting around with the gate will be necessary but otherwise it's much quicker that re-acquiring by hand.

It's early morning for me so I may have got the above steps transposed. I rely on muscle memory to do it.

Richard - You Have Control
Tricubic Studios Ltd. (dev blog)
#2646432 - 01/04/09 10:26 PM Re: Troubleshooting the data link system. What did I do wrong when trying to designate targets? [Re: Flexman]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I just wanted to say thanks so far for contributing to this thread everybody! smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.