Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2645417 - 01/03/09 12:40 AM So I broke down and bought an X Box  
Electra Offline
Wild road...
Electra  Offline
Wild road...

True West
I know, I know, settle down, I have a PC too ( obviously ). So, aside from CoD 4 and 5 ( which are the reasons I bought it ), what other games are out there that kick butt? I'm familiar with the GTA games, which I never seem to finish because I usually just run around punching people in the face - ignoring all the missions. Any good suggestions out there?

Full fathom five, thy father lies

Harold Kahler, O4 USAF F-105D, Lincoln NE, MIA 6/14/69 LAOS
GBNF

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2645424 - 01/03/09 12:54 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Electra]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
GTA4 still is great for running round and punching people in the face. And shooting them in the face while they're at the wheel of a car. And you can do it to real people too now, even though it's not real people's real faces.

Avoid Far Cry 2 despite the overwhelming and frankly preposterous hype because it's really quite rubbish. Both Gears of War are good for future-style war if you don't mind Nazis/Commies being aliens. The original will be cheap second hand, but you'll prefer the new one if you want some contemporary multiplayer.

Rather than risk ridicule here you should probably quit this discussion and introduce yerself to SimHQ's console forums.

#2645428 - 01/03/09 01:05 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Brun]  
Electra Offline
Wild road...
Electra  Offline
Wild road...

True West
meh, I'll trade a wider audience for ridicule any day of the week. Surprising about FC2, people were going bananas over it.

GBNF

#2645431 - 01/03/09 01:17 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Electra]  
Ant Offline
Ant  Offline

North East, UK
Difficult to recommend without knowing what kind of games you're in to. As you've mentioned COD I'm going to assume you like FPS so....As previously mentioned Gears of War 1 & 2 are great games (although more 3rd person that 1st). Rainbow 6 Vegas 1 & 2 are also pretty good. Fallout 3 is excellent (see huge thread on this very forum :)) A very under-rated FPS on Xbox which I thoroughly enjoyed is 'the darkness' F.E.A.R. is pretty good too if you haven't played it on PC.

#2645435 - 01/03/09 01:23 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Ant]  
Electra Offline
Wild road...
Electra  Offline
Wild road...

True West
sorry about that, FPS are my favorite genre. Rainbow 6 Vegas, damn, how'd I forget about those? The Darkness, I'll look into that one, thanks for the info!

GBNF

#2645437 - 01/03/09 01:28 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Electra]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
Dead Space

Buy a bottle of good Scotch, wait till significant other goes to bed, drink Scotch, play Dead Space (with lights out).

It's good.

#2645441 - 01/03/09 01:39 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Electra]  
Ant Offline
Ant  Offline

North East, UK
Oh, forgot to mention 'Bioshock' another great fun FPS on the xbox. smile

#2645442 - 01/03/09 01:39 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: piper]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Despite what Brun said, I thoroughly enjoyed Far Cry 2 on the 360. I'd also echo Piper's recommendation of Dead Space, although it is genuinely very, very scary.

I really enjoyed Fable 2, but it took a bit of getting into. It was initially pretty overwhelming when I first got dropped into the free-roaming part of the world.

Fallout 3 was my disappointment of the year, but there are lots of people that would disagree with me. I was really looking forward to it and yet it failed me on just about ever point. I thought Oblivion was far better as a game.

As strange as it sounds, Tomb Raider Underworld was my surprise pick for game of the year. I only picked it up on a whim after downloading the demo out of interest rather than expectation. I hadn't played a Tomb Raider game in over 8 years, but I absolutely loved the new one. Reviews were mixed, but the biggest criticism seemed to be "it's just Tomb Raider" which completely missed the point.

---------
Pizzicato
#2645451 - 01/03/09 01:54 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Pizzicato]  
Electra Offline
Wild road...
Electra  Offline
Wild road...

True West
alright, I'm writing all these games down.

Dead Space sounds good.

thnx again all!

GBNF

#2645453 - 01/03/09 02:05 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Pizzicato]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
I'll confess to playing Far Cry 2 on the PC, but seeing as my biggest problem was the extremely restrictive environment in a supposedly 'open world' game I can't imagine either console version being any different. The fact that everyone shoots me on sight also gets tiresome after about 15 minutes. Is it because I'm not black?*

Despite the above I'm tempted by Pizzicato's recommendation of the latest Tomb Raider, although I'll probably get the PS3 version for old times sake if nothing else. Tomb Raider 2 on the the PS2 was the last I played so I'm unlikely to be disappointed by over familiarity.

* cultural reference, please don't be offended

#2645455 - 01/03/09 02:07 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Brun]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Dead Space is great, just make sure you're wearing indestructible knickers.

#2645485 - 01/03/09 02:58 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Brun]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
More and more people are going console on SimHQ forums these days....just more practical now.

Pretty much all good 360 games you can probably can on the PC though...as long as your pc can handle it. But the top games i would say are

Fallout 3
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Gears of War 1/2
Price of Persia
RB6 Vegas 1/2

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#2645490 - 01/03/09 03:05 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Pizzicato]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
Originally Posted By: Pizzicato

As strange as it sounds, Tomb Raider Underworld was my surprise pick for game of the year. I only picked it up on a whim after downloading the demo out of interest rather than expectation. I hadn't played a Tomb Raider game in over 8 years, but I absolutely loved the new one. Reviews were mixed, but the biggest criticism seemed to be "it's just Tomb Raider" which completely missed the point.

Actually you missed the point...

You haven't played a tomb raider game in 8 years....when Tomb Raider Legend came out...and then Tomb Raider anniversary after that more or less with the same engine...everyone was in love with the Tomb Raider again.

After Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness...which is probably the last one you played...everyone wrote the franchise off...

Then Crystal dynamics revived the franchise with Legend and Anniversary....but they fell into the same trap that Core fell into with Tomb Raider the first time around. When the very first Tomb Raider came out...everyone loved it. Then Tomb Raider 2 came out and people still liked it because it was Tomb Raider in a different enviornment. Then they did 3, then 4, then chronicles, then angel....and everyone went WTF....they are all the same game.

Which is kind of what happend with Tomb Raider Underworld...for people that played Legend and Anniversary...they kind of went WTF its the same game.

A good game still...i still bought it. But if you haven't played in 8 years...its a great game. If you did play Legend and Anniversay...its kind of a WTF stop being lazy and don't repeat the mistakes of Core team in the past game.

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#2645527 - 01/03/09 05:16 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Spidey]  
SpongeBob55 Offline
SpongeBob55  Offline

Missouri
+1 for Tomb Raider Underworld, I DL it yesterday and played it till 4 am. First game to pull me away from WOW for that long in a bit. Keep in mind though the last tomb raider i played was the 1st one on regular PS.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant
#2645583 - 01/03/09 10:17 AM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: SpongeBob55]  
Vulgarity Offline
Vulgarity  Offline

Sports. Xbox wins, and wins big. Even gets girls to play golf or baseball.

Driving... it can be pretty cool, Forza comes to mind, it's no sim but it's not arcade either...

FPS - just FORGET ABOUT IT unless it's really tactical or not a central focus of the game (like GTA or Oblivion).

Take a good hard look at any game, and ask yourself this:

1. Available on PC?

2. Can my PC handle it?

3. If no to the above, could I deal with an Xbox controller with this game?

I just bought GTA4 for my Xbox, only because I knew my PC would choke on it.

However, I also know that game is ok on a gamepad...

USE THE DEMOS.

Anything hot on 360 almost always has a free demo.

Hope that helps...

#2645614 - 01/03/09 12:10 PM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Spidey]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted By: Spidey
Originally Posted By: Pizzicato

Actually you missed the point...

You haven't played a tomb raider game in 8 years....when Tomb Raider Legend came out...and then Tomb Raider anniversary after that more or less with the same engine...everyone was in love with the Tomb Raider again.

After Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness...which is probably the last one you played...everyone wrote the franchise off...

Then Crystal dynamics revived the franchise with Legend and Anniversary....but they fell into the same trap that Core fell into with Tomb Raider the first time around. When the very first Tomb Raider came out...everyone loved it. Then Tomb Raider 2 came out and people still liked it because it was Tomb Raider in a different enviornment. Then they did 3, then 4, then chronicles, then angel....and everyone went WTF....they are all the same game.

Which is kind of what happend with Tomb Raider Underworld...for people that played Legend and Anniversary...they kind of went WTF its the same game.

A good game still...i still bought it. But if you haven't played in 8 years...its a great game. If you did play Legend and Anniversay...its kind of a WTF stop being lazy and don't repeat the mistakes of Core team in the past game.

I take your point...

...but completely disagree. smile

It might be a temporal thing, but as a result of my enjoying Tomb Raider Underworld so much, one of the presents my girlfriend bought me at Christmas was Tomb Raider Legend. I expected to love it, but absolutely hated it. It does so many things wrong compared to Underworld. Those who think that Underworld is "just another Tomb Raider" are playing it with their eyes closed. It's streets ahead of its predecessors (with the caveat that I've never played Anniversary).

For that reason, I think it's them and not me that have missed the point, but I appreciate that your mileage may differ.

Oh, and I should have recommended Skate, too. I couldn't have been less interested in the idea of a skateboarding game...

...until I played it. smile

---------
Pizzicato
#2645651 - 01/03/09 02:47 PM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Pizzicato]  
ForSquirrels Offline
Veteran
ForSquirrels  Offline
Veteran

Don't forget that if you have Netflix and a Gold xbox live account you can stream movies.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

XBL: fmdckr81
#2645681 - 01/03/09 04:04 PM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Electra]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Electra
sorry about that, FPS are my favorite genre. Rainbow 6 Vegas, damn, how'd I forget about those? The Darkness, I'll look into that one, thanks for the info!

I've heard F.E.A.R. for the console is pretty good and if you are a Star Wars fan I'd recommend "Force Unleashed".

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/03/09 04:06 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#2645761 - 01/03/09 06:54 PM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LightHead Offline
LightHead  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Electra

... and if you are a Star Wars fan I'd recommend "Force Unleashed".

Unless you're a REAL Star Wars fan, in which case skip this. It's like using the movie Commando as an example of proper special forces tactics etc. In that game everyone has lightsabres. You go to a restaurant on Nar Shadda and your fellow diners are using them as cutlery. Droids got 'em, stormies got 'em, I think I passed a Jawa selling lightsabre nose hair trimmers.

The story in Force Unleashed was ridiculous, the gameplay over the top (not in a good way imo), and it felt like the developers hadn't seen any of the movies, nor read the many great books.

/rant off

Gears of War 2 is great for multiplay horde (story suffers from horrible writing).

R6:Las Vegas 2 is the better in the series but it's the sequal to the 1st so you gotta
play them both. Co-op is better in 2 though.

Bioshock is fantabulous; a great atmospheric game with tense moments, surprises, panicked gunplay, and a great soundtrack.

Fable 2 was fun.. for a while. In the end I found the grand scope of it surprisingly limited.

I agree with Vulg, you should check out the demos or try before you by.

Ever forward!
#2645814 - 01/03/09 08:37 PM Re: So I broke down and bought an X Box [Re: Brun]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted By: Brun
I'll confess to playing Far Cry 2 on the PC, but seeing as my biggest problem was the extremely restrictive environment in a supposedly 'open world' game I can't imagine either console version being any different. The fact that everyone shoots me on sight also gets tiresome after about 15 minutes. Is it because I'm not black?*

Despite the above I'm tempted by Pizzicato's recommendation of the latest Tomb Raider, although I'll probably get the PS3 version for old times sake if nothing else. Tomb Raider 2 on the the PS2 was the last I played so I'm unlikely to be disappointed by over familiarity.

* cultural reference, please don't be offended

I FEEL SO OFFENDED ! but i'll prove i'm better person by helping you anyway.
if you own both 360 and ps3, DO NOT get the ps3 version, eidos favorited the 360 becouse microsoft payed them money for DLC and "a lot of other things" that were not mentioned before, wich includes replayability,and the original and legend costume as EXCLUSIVE to 360, i have no idea what else might come for TR,but it will problably be for 360 only.If costume it's not your thing, in case you like that game and want to get the extra chapters you will only be able on the 360.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.