Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2634250 - 12/15/08 10:06 AM Re: Just an idea...training... [Re: K6_Scorpion]  
Softball Offline
Softball  Offline

San Diego, CA, USA
Great idea Magnum, don't give up on your enthusiasm. I am really enjoying Black Shark so far, but it is really an eye opener (for me) in terms of a "study sim". When Falcon 4 first came out [1998?] I was extremely intimidated. I was completely lost and had to force myself to RTFM or else. I ended up giving up and left it to collect cobwebs until I had the patience to try it again. In 2001, I found an online squad "Wings of Fury" who flew Janes F-18 and Falcon 4 regularly. I was a pro with Janes F-18 so I fit right in there, but didn't give Falcon 4 a thought as I knew I would just embarrass myself. Thankfully, "Wings of Fury" at the time, had a virtual flight training school 2 nights a week for Falcon 4. I thought to myself, "maybe I can take advantage of this opportunity" and joined in on the virtual flight training schools for Falcon 4. After about a month of meeting up 2 nights a week and having a group of like minded simmers to talk to and learn from, I became a rather seasoned Falcon 4 pilot. If I did not meet this group of people, who took the time out of their life to teach me how to master Falcon 4, I would never have given such a tough "study sim" a chance.

Fast forward to 2008, and now we have Black Shark (THANK YOU ED!). I am having flashbacks of my Falcon 4 intimidation days. Black Shark is the "Falcon 4" of helicopter sims, hands down. I absolutely LOVE Black Shark, I have spent hours upon hours reading, printing, practicing take offs and landing, and reading some more how to fly this beast. After 4 days of attempting to get the hang of Black Shark, I am still as green as ever. I have yet to log a successful "safe" landing, but man it sure is worth trying.

I think what you are trying to put together is very admirable. I know I haven't joined in with many, if at all, SimHQ gaming sessions, but I read the forums daily. I know what type of gamer / sim enthusiast you are by simply reading your reviews and your posts; it does not go un-noticed, trust me. I do not have a lot of free time during the week (I work and goto school full time), but I would love to join in on some Black Shark training. I am trying to pursuade some of my fellow WOF squad mates to purchase Black Shark, but most are waiting for the DVD version. If you set something up, I'll see if I can work it into my busy schedule and join you. Keep up the good work, and don't let anyone or anything get you down.

See you on the tarmac.

~SB

--SOFTBALL
--RLGaming Portal

"The tragedy of war is that it uses man's best to do man's worst." - Harry Emerson Fosdick 1933
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2634267 - 12/15/08 10:48 AM Re: Just an idea...training... [Re: Softball]  
Vapour Offline
Vapour  Offline

I came into simming quite late on, when I started it seriously IL2 had been out for a while, so had Lock on, everybody was up to speed with those sims and the forums were full of advanced questions at the time (at least as far as I was concerned) and people talking in terminology that was like a foreign language. This is the first sim i've had were everyone is in the same boat, all asking the same questions and having the same problems. It actually feels good to be part of this at the minute.

Para-Bellums guide is very good I found, though I prefer the cold dark start up myself, when the guide reaches the locking targets and firing part it started to come together for me. Thanks for the tips on that, it's a good base to start from and expand on.

I would love to see a simple training map where you can practice start ups, hovering etc and with plenty of targets to shoot at.

#2634299 - 12/15/08 12:30 PM Re: Just an idea...training... [Re: Magnum]  
JimMack Offline
JimMack  Offline

Originally Posted By: Magnum
It was meant as a compliment, (I'm loving this game/sim) but it seems you rotor heads are are little too sensitive, think I'll just go learn and play this myself... and forget trying to help or spark this sims community.

banghead

Dear Magnum,
Please forgive me for my post if you think it was too aggressive. It was not meant to be, please accept my apology. I was just trying to make the point that one does need to read the manual and this is not a pick up and play simulation.
I think any idea, such as yours, to make it easier to learn this simulation is an excellent idea for all the community.

Regards

Jim
TFC/ED

Last edited by JimMack; 12/15/08 03:59 PM. Reason: more info
#2634909 - 12/16/08 06:32 AM Re: Just an idea...training... [Re: JimMack]  
Shepski Offline
Shepski  Offline

Canada
Hi Magnum,

Doug(guod) has already approached me about doing some online training sessions just as you have suggested. I won't be available until after the holidays but I'd be happy to help.

Cheers

#2634917 - 12/16/08 06:47 AM Re: Just an idea...training... [Re: Shepski]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
roger... I've been advised... NP here. wink

#2636650 - 12/18/08 05:28 PM Re: Just an idea...training... [Re: Magnum]  
Moses Offline
I have a Rather Large
Moses  Offline
I have a Rather Large

Tulsa, Ok, USA
Ill be on most nights and will Host up a Mission for 32 for folks that just want to learn Last night was the first night that i got my collective to work right and man was this Nice.

My hats off to JimMack, Matt, Shep and all the guys at ED for a wonderful sim

Jeff "Moses" Malone
Proud Member of 195th Dambusters Virtual Squadron.
http://561stbms.enjin.com/
#2637070 - 12/19/08 03:45 AM Re: Just an idea...training... [Re: Moses]  
RatBastid Offline
RatBastid  Offline

El Cajon, CA USA
I would also love to get in on something like this. I havent been this excited about a sim since Janes FA/18 which i knew the systems at that time in and out and would love to learn Black Shark the same way. Have no problem doing any reading but im one of those types that learns a hell of a lot faster and better by actually doing so adding in something like this on top of that would be great thumbsup

Last edited by RatBastid; 12/19/08 03:46 AM.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.