Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2582226 - 09/07/08 01:55 AM 4.09 question  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
I'm tempted to go ahead and try these new textures that are out. Outstanding work! One thing...I see it needs 4.09.
I am an on-line flyer, and I understand that 4.09 is a beta release. So all of the servers are still 4.08. Will I need a dual install? Or is there an easy way to switch back and forth between the two?
Since I never fly off-line I was going to say, "Why bother, what's the point?", but that terrain is just too pretty not to fly over!
Any chance of it ever being be used in multi-player?

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2582246 - 09/07/08 02:34 AM Re: 4.09 question [Re: Pooch]  
Goodwood Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Goodwood  Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Veteran

Detroit - in the Danger Zone!
Only the odd co-op hosts use the beta patch and default skinpack. It's really sad, too, as the mod community almost refuses to use the beta and texture packs as the basis for their mods (all the stuff insists that you use 4.08).

Yeah, it's got me a bit put out as well.

LukeFF: Oleg got rid of his moustache! eek

akdavis: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
#2582303 - 09/07/08 05:21 AM Re: 4.09 question [Re: Goodwood]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
I don't want to go into too many details on using mods because I don't know how much discussion is allowed here these days. However, I will say that you don't need to have two separate, complete installs of 1946. The key to jumping back and forth between game versions is to change/restore the Files.SFS that goes with each version. Every official expansion and patch (including the 4.09 beta) comes with a unique version of Files.SFS. I also believe that every unofficial version (ie, Mod Enabler or Sound Mod) has a unique version of Files.SFS. Make backup copies of this essential file for every version you want to switch back and forth to as you make your upgrades.

Second, the unofficial versions require a hacked (Russian) replacement of the stock (Western) il2fb.exe file. The stock il2fb.exe won't launch a modded version of the game and the modded execute file won't launch the default version of the game. Simple 'nuff.

In summary, as long as you have the correct il2fb.exe and Files.SFS in place for the version of the game you want to revert back to you can switch between versions very quickly.

Remove before flight
#2582315 - 09/07/08 06:36 AM Re: 4.09 question [Re: Skycat]  
PA_Willy Offline
PA_Willy  Offline

Moreover, there is a switcher available to run 4.08 original, 4.08 modded, 4.09b unmodded and 4.09b modded.

I only need 2 mouse clicks to go from a version to another. I don't need a dual installation.

Regards.

#2582337 - 09/07/08 07:46 AM Re: 4.09 question [Re: PA_Willy]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
There are compatibility problems with 4.09 online regarding, normaly the mod objects that each player has used on any particular map. Offline the game is pretty forgiving, but online, the slightest difference in objects, (ie.. the host is using one of the ship packs and other players aren't) there are loading errors..
This isn't a problem of course as all you have to do is post up a list of the mods used and run a quick rehearsal to make sure everyone is on the same songsheet..
However.. Online squads seem to have a pathological objection to doing some simple groundwork/liason and testing to ensure that 4.09 will work correctly.. They want an easy life with everything done for them so they have to do the minimal work and effort before they play..
With this attitude, it's no wonder that there aren't many 4.09 servers around. If it was as easy as just clicking and joining, you can be assured that everyone would be utilising all the new maps and textures/objects etc..
Fear of the unknown and just plain inherrent lazyness... typical humans..

#2582427 - 09/07/08 01:00 PM Re: 4.09 question [Re: Trooper117]  
j p Offline
j p  Offline

Geneva
Or maybe if we got 4.09 official.

#2582457 - 09/07/08 02:07 PM Re: 4.09 question [Re: j p]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Well...thanks for so much feedback. I'm hoping (as everyone is, I suppose) that we get an official release, and everything becomes a lot easier. As I said, the screenies are real nice.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#2583186 - 09/08/08 02:18 PM Re: 4.09 question [Re: Pooch]  
Hackl Offline
Hackl  Offline

Kelowna, BC,Canada

#2583224 - 09/08/08 03:33 PM Re: 4.09 question [Re: Hackl]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
Online squads seem to have a pathological objection to doing some simple groundwork/liason and testing to ensure that 4.09 will work correctly.. They want an easy life with everything done for them so they have to do the minimal work and effort before they play

Hmm

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2583784 - 09/09/08 11:55 AM Re: 4.09 question [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
VT-51_Razor Offline
VT-51_Razor  Offline

Central Point, Oregon, US of A...
Well Trooper, as a member of a fairly large online, fully modded squad, I can tell you that it has nothing to do with laziness. You comments make me think you don't belong to any squad at all! If you did, you'd know first hand, how hard it is to get folks together for an online session for just a couple of hours in a night, much less a couple of nights a week. Getting everyone in the squad on the same page is a difficult enough task in itself, but throw in a bunch of strangers, or another squad, and it quickly dissolves into complete chaos. So yeah, come up with a "click and join" mod and we're all over it! Until then, getting everyone into 4.09 will be like pulling teeth.

People in aviation who think they know it all, are particularly annoying to those of us who really do

Razor
Air Group 51
#2583796 - 09/09/08 12:37 PM Re: 4.09 question [Re: VT-51_Razor]  
Wulfycuddles Offline
Wulfycuddles  Offline

+1

Remember the days of the modded EAW? how hard it was to get everyone with the same version? literally hours trying to get everyone with the same mods, wrecked large scale online flying for EAW \:\(

TBH one of my biggest doubt about the "Mods" now \:\(

#2583805 - 09/09/08 01:12 PM Re: 4.09 question [Re: VT-51_Razor]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
You comments make me think you don't belong to any squad at all! If you did, you'd know first hand, how hard it is to get folks together for an online session for just a couple of hours in a night, much less a couple of nights a week.

We find it simple we've all got watches. We park our bums, turn on our computers and there we are. In mod Hell

Trooper is very much a part of an online squadron mate and he speaks from experience

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2584089 - 09/09/08 08:17 PM Re: 4.09 question [Re: VT-51_Razor]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
 Originally Posted By: VT-51_Razor
Well Trooper, as a member of a fairly large online, fully modded squad, I can tell you that it has nothing to do with laziness. You comments make me think you don't belong to any squad at all! If you did, you'd know first hand, how hard it is to get folks together for an online session for just a couple of hours in a night, much less a couple of nights a week. Getting everyone in the squad on the same page is a difficult enough task in itself, but throw in a bunch of strangers, or another squad, and it quickly dissolves into complete chaos. So yeah, come up with a "click and join" mod and we're all over it! Until then, getting everyone into 4.09 will be like pulling teeth.

Mate.. I belong to a very large online organisation so I do know what I'm talking about..
I agree with alot of what you have said, because it can be a nightmare to get everyone on the same songsheet.
However, we have had many headaches with different mod versions and compatibility, but, by posting on our forums a list of mods used on our various SE wars, plus, by running a couple of 'compatibility or test' nights prior to the campaign going live, we iron out any bugs prior to its start.
It's not difficult is it?
The fact that you state its hard even to get people to turn up.. well, thats something you and your squad will have to sort out regardless of any mod issues really.. We don't have that problem generaly as we have many regular attenders in our airforce..
One or two of us have been working on non squad nights to test co-ops and missions on 4.09 and are identifying where there are compatibility issues and the like, and now have a better idea on how to produce modded co-ops that other squad members can join with minimum fuss.. As I stated, this is in our own time because we want all our members to be able to benifit.. but not every online player will bother their backsides to put any effort in regards the mods, they just want to turn up and fly.. This is where one of the problems lie.. I think that some pilots think its too complicated, and some just can't be bothered by what they see as a 'hassle', others just don't want change at any cost.. but, as the saying goes, it takes all sorts!
By the way.. What on earth makes you think I don't belong to an online squad??? I've been part of the same one for years..

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.