Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2578157 - 08/31/08 11:34 PM Shot down dead, but not dead when debriefed?  
simpliciter Offline
simpliciter  Offline

Hey guys. Been having an issue in AF and also previously in OF that has been bugging me. Several times I've been badly killed in a mission, crashed or obliterated by a missile and when I sucked it up and hit end mission to accept my fate, my pilot is magically still listed as alive and my plane only "damaged". Is this a bug, feature or what? Anything to explain it? Is this happening to everyone else sometimes? I can't say I really mind so much, cause usually when I get killed its after I frag a whole lot of enemies (biting off more than I can fly away with). It just happened for the second time in my brand new Balkans campaign on veteran mode, and I'm starting to feel a little like I'm cheating. I fly with full realism except for simplified refueling and labels turned on (still can't figure out how the hell to avoid fragging friendly ground forces without it).

2nd Lt. Prozacpain

Asus M3A78T, 450watt PS, Ultra mini tower case, Phenom 9550 (OC to 2.4ghz) quad, 4gb OCZ, Galaxy 450GTS 1GB,Logitech wireless mouse and KB MK550, Windows 7 Pro 64bit. Saitek AV8R joystick, CH Pro Pedals USB.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2579193 - 09/02/08 06:28 PM Re: Shot down dead, but not dead when debriefed? [Re: simpliciter]  
simpliciter Offline
simpliciter  Offline

Had this already been answered in another thread? I can take it. Hello? Bueller?

Asus M3A78T, 450watt PS, Ultra mini tower case, Phenom 9550 (OC to 2.4ghz) quad, 4gb OCZ, Galaxy 450GTS 1GB,Logitech wireless mouse and KB MK550, Windows 7 Pro 64bit. Saitek AV8R joystick, CH Pro Pedals USB.
#2579696 - 09/03/08 12:36 PM Re: Shot down dead, but not dead when debriefed? [Re: simpliciter]  
Rebel801st Offline
Rebel801st  Offline

Adelaide - Sth Australia
Well since nobody else has got around to helping you out - here goes:

Yes I have seen it happen from time to time in multiplayer - not sure about single player, and no I dont consider it cheating.

My guess is that it may be due to the timing when you exit the mission i.e. if you exit from the mission as soon as you get killed, instead of waiting for the mission exit (cos your dead) pop-up.

It seems random tho, so dont rely on it saving your logbook!!

I have noticed a liitle bug in my install that causes my computer to do a reboot, if I talk on Teamspeak immediately after my pilot has been killed, before I return to the briefing screen.

Hope this helps

#2581214 - 09/05/08 01:50 PM Re: Shot down dead, but not dead when debriefed? [Re: Rebel801st]  
white_fang Offline
white_fang  Offline

Hey there,

Rebel, that could be because of your sound driver and card.
I've noticed something with combination of :
1. Teamspeak
2. Shoot
3. FreeTrack
4. FalconAF

Yeah, all in one time.
So If I don't equalize sampling rates in everything above manually (where I can eventually do it),
I loose sound in the middle of the game in Falcon, or just parts, like engine.
It is because some Falcon sounds are recorded at 22kHz and the others are 44100.
So that is your card tries to use more than one sampling rate at the time.
And if it is some problem for sound driver/card it gets to that.
Yes, sound cards/driver can play dynamic sampling rates in a range, but not at same the time in one channel.
So it may be that falcon, which occupies all sound card channels (0-63 for me) gets *bombed* in one or more channels with teamspeak that sound card/driver cant handle.
So it crashes driver and then whole machine.

Different sampling rate in falcon and teamspeak, try to equalize that, say put it both to 44100 Hz or 22050 Hz and see what happens.

Just a thought, but if it helps, credit is on you...

Edit: Or, you send some strange keystrokes (data in memory generating protected fault) when you talk in Teamspeak, but I wouldn't stick to that, maybe.

Regards

Last edited by dimpy2; 09/05/08 01:59 PM. Reason: addition
#2581782 - 09/06/08 12:17 PM Re: Shot down dead, but not dead when debriefed? [Re: white_fang]  
Rebel801st Offline
Rebel801st  Offline

Adelaide - Sth Australia
Thanks Dimpy - I dont think its a soundcard driver issue tho, because I always use fly using my Logitech USB Headset, hence the soundcard (and drivers) should be out of the issue.

However, my TS talk key is mapped to the ctrl key - I will try another key to see if that fixes the problem.

Cheers

#2583434 - 09/08/08 08:38 PM Re: Shot down dead, but not dead when debriefed? [Re: Rebel801st]  
simpliciter Offline
simpliciter  Offline

Thanks for the reply, yeah it definitely occurs in single player. Oh well. Now I did a bad thing and installed RedViper over AF, and it works fairly well. Looks and plays great, takes forever to load a mission as I get farther into the campaign. Flying the Korea 83 right now and wishing I could find an authentic F16A cockpit. Also wishing there was a way to get my in progress Balkans campaign back. I did back up the folder so I can hopefully continue it if I reinstall AF from scratch. Or is there a way to put Balkans back into AF? I really liked the stability and almost everything works quality about AF, but really wanted the flashy graphics and ability to fly more planes offered by mods. Wishing I had a spare hard drive or partition to have both going at once.

#2583978 - 09/09/08 05:25 PM Re: Shot down dead, but not dead when debriefed? [Re: simpliciter]  
white_fang Offline
white_fang  Offline

Originally Posted By: Rebel50
However, my TS talk key is mapped to the ctrl key - I will try another key to see if that fixes the problem.

Yes, that can eventually be the issue, mine is mapped to F12, and is working ok.
Even when you boot computer, holding some keys in boot time can cause malfunctions.
I think just "shift" do not cause nothing bad, because it is least significant modifier, "ctrl" is also modifier, but generates more complex characters which may cause code being misunderstood.

regards
white_fang

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.