Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2566368 - 08/11/08 08:29 PM There's a dog next door...  
Goodwood Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Goodwood  Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Veteran

Detroit - in the Danger Zone!
...who hasn't shut its trap since mid-January.

It's a young cocker spaniel, female from the name the next-door kids call it (Lucy), and it has this high-pitched annoying yip/bark that manages to penetrate every nook of the house I'm living in. It's getting so bad that I've caught myself contemplating its murder by various overt and covert means. I've even used a squirt gun on it a couple of times. The thing just won't shut up and the neighbors just let it sit out there.

Anyone got ideas?

LukeFF: Oleg got rid of his moustache! eek

akdavis: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2566373 - 08/11/08 08:34 PM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: Goodwood]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
LIONPRIDE
Unregistered

Talk to the owners. DO they even know that it's bothering the neighbors?

#2566375 - 08/11/08 08:38 PM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: ]  
Goodwood Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Goodwood  Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Veteran

I think they do, but they're not home very often, leaving the kids in charge (not a good idea from where I'm sitting). If they don't know from what's been going on, they're thick as concussed trolls.

Yes, I'm very angry.

#2566403 - 08/11/08 09:08 PM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: Goodwood]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I had this as an issue, and while it hasn't gone away completely, it got a lot better. The problem is, I'm not exactly sure why.

It got a little better after I installed a dog-bark trainer that would put out a loud tone in response to the sound of a dog barking (like the Bark Free item lower in this page http://www.electronicpestrepeller.com/Dog_Control.htm ).

The thing is, those neighbors would also play karaoke at extreme volumes daily, and frequently late at night (like until midnight or later). I ended up calling the police on them for some of those late night warbling fests after it went on for a while, plus they had some issues of their own that brought the police out a few times on top of that, so I'm thinking they may have decided to clean up their act a bit, and that might have contributed more to the dog-barking fix than anything else, because they only do the music thing once every few months now, too.

It really depends on the noise ordinances in your area, and it can be very difficult to address in many situations.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#2566433 - 08/11/08 09:40 PM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: Arthonon]  
Archangel Offline
Archangel  Offline

Canada, eh!
Talk to the neighbors. Make sure they know it's being a problem.

If it is still causing you issues, check with the local laws of where you live. Many places have bylaws specifically geared towards nuisance dogs. A few visits from bylaw officers/animal control and fines can probably go a long way towards curing it.

#2566467 - 08/11/08 10:35 PM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: Archangel]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Roll up a newspaper and stand next to it for 24 hours. Every time it barks beat it till it shuts up. That is the way I have broken several dogs... even ones that were not mine.

#2566513 - 08/11/08 11:27 PM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: Arthonon]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
 Originally Posted By: Arthonon
those neighbors would also play karaoke at extreme volumes daily.

Are you sure they haven't EATEN the dog ? \:D \:D

Cheers

Nico

"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
#2566517 - 08/11/08 11:31 PM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: Master]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
LIONPRIDE
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Master
Roll up a newspaper and stand next to it for 24 hours. Every time it barks beat it till it shuts up. That is the way I have broken several dogs... even ones that were not mine.

- - Nice ...

- - If you're friendly with the neighbors confront them about it. If you're not friendly with them and could care less, call the police ... it's free ... \:D . Maybe MAGNUM could help with some advice?

#2566540 - 08/11/08 11:57 PM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: ]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
 Originally Posted By: LIONPRIDE

- - If you're friendly with the neighbors confront them about it. If you're not friendly with them and could care less, call the police ... it's free ... \:D . Maybe MAGNUM could help with some advice?

The problem I had is that in San Diego, CA, the police don't do anything about barking dogs - it all depends on local ordinances. I was going to have to record the dog, check that it was above a certain decibel range, then use that evidence in a law suit if it continued to be a problem.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#2566549 - 08/12/08 12:13 AM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: ]  
Goodwood Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Goodwood  Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Veteran

Originally Posted By: LIONPRIDE

- - Nice ...

That is part of the problem. Let's just say they weren't too impressed when they came home to witness me threatening their poor pooch (BAH!) with my Water Cannon of Doom.

#2566564 - 08/12/08 12:47 AM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: Goodwood]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
This may be too much trouble for you to consider, but it worked for me. I had a yappy dog just up the street, and had heard from other neighbors who were getting really angry about it. The dog didn't bother me much, but being an animal lover all my life, I know that a problem dog is really a problem owner. I went over to their house, and talked to them, telling them that I had been contacted by several neighbors, as the neighborhood watch guy, and offered to help them train the dog, not to bark, to prevent the other more annoyed folks from calling the police. We have a fairly tough noise ordinance here, when you can get it enforced, and they knew they could loose the dog. I ended up taking him on daily walks, and introduced him around to all the neighbors who hated him. He is a nice dog, just mouthy when bored. We even managed to get permission for other folks to walk the dog, and worked out a system to let the owners know who had him out, so they would not think he was loose or missing. Now he just wags his tail at the gate when people walk by, instead of barking. Part of the deal was to let him know that his territory stopped at the fence and that people walking by OWNED the street.

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#2566579 - 08/12/08 01:29 AM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: coasty]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
Goodwood, does the dog only bark at you?-)

Just wondering.

#2566597 - 08/12/08 02:06 AM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: piper]  
Goodwood Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Goodwood  Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Veteran

Originally Posted By: piper
Goodwood, does the dog only bark at you?-)

Just wondering.

No.

A twig could snap a half-mile away at noon and the thing will bark until sunset. It's rather like Coasty said, the dog barks out of sheer boredom; the family just leaves it in the backyard tied to a tree. The only thing that's prevented me from slaughtering the beast is that one fact; it can't help itself. Someone needs to show that dog proper love.

#2566656 - 08/12/08 04:19 AM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: Goodwood]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

A dog that barks a lot is a dog that is lacking discipline. If you can sneak an hour or two to discipline their dog the it wills top barking.

A dog whistle can work as well. Stand there looking at it and when it barks or shows aggression towards you blow the whistle for a few second and then stop. Repeat every minute until the dog stops barking.

I hate people who get a dog and then treat it like a piece of luggage. Dogs require lots of work and maintenance to keep them from acting up. Too many people do not understand how hard it is to properly care for a dog. Do they suffer from it? No, the dog and their neighbors suffer.

#2566682 - 08/12/08 05:09 AM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: Master]  
Zero Niner Offline
Zero Niner  Offline

Singapore
Too bad you're not living in Wales, otherwise...

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_east/7551176.stm

\:D

#2566753 - 08/12/08 10:26 AM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: Zero Niner]  
Bert67 Offline
Bert67  Offline

Bethel, NC
Best thing to do is call animal control people and they will deal with it.
Bert

Check Six and Use Your Wingmen Like Crazy!
#2566842 - 08/12/08 01:47 PM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: Goodwood]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
You obviously need The Dog Whisperer

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2566846 - 08/12/08 01:50 PM Re: There's a dog next door... [Re: Master]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I hate people who get a dog and then treat it like a piece of luggage. Dogs require lots of work and maintenance to keep them from acting up. Too many people do not understand how hard it is to properly care for a dog. Do they suffer from it? No, the dog and their neighbors suffer.

I would also suggest one substitute children for dog in your statement. There are many people I've run across who should not be parents. ;\)

In answer to the original poster's question: I had the same problem a few years back. What I did was go and talk to the neighbor nicely and politely, meanwhile keeping a record of when the dog barked and how long. I put all this in a spreadsheet on my computer.

I ended up going over and talking to the neighbor three times, gave them three times to get their act together, again quite politely; meanwhile still keeping records. Three months pass. Nothing changes and the dog keeps barking (I kid you not 8-10 hours a day for at times 3 hour stretches.)

The fourth time I did not go over to the neighbors. I filed a complaint with the police and sent a copy of my spreadsheet with the complaint. The spreadsheet was a work of art. I also sent a copy of the complaint and spreadsheet to my neighbors. Police got involved. City ordinance against loud and excessive dogs was enforced.

Neighbors had a choice. They chose to get rid of dog. My problem solved and it has been peaceful ever since.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.