Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2541123 - 06/28/08 07:59 AM Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty  
toastfrenzy Offline
toastfrenzy  Offline

Cambridgeshire, UK
Maybe I'm missing something here, please tell me if I'am!!

Having spent well over 300 for a CS,PP & PT 18mths ago I find myself with a CS with slowly diminishing buttons (see thread in the Hardware help forum).

After filling in the online form I traded e-mails with a "friendly" chap called Steve (mods please edit to avoid those named being upset etc).

Turns out this "worlwide" service that CH Products offer comes at a price, namely the cost of return postage from wherever you are to them and back again. For the CS, weight 2.5KG inc box, 30 to 40 from the UK depending on what sevice(didn't include surface mail @ 3 months eta) and Steve quoted me $36 to return back again.

I was\am prepared to pay the shipping to CH Products (as in the UK the majority of times that is expected) but not for the return.

I pointed out that I read no where before I bought or since to that matter that shipping both ways had to be funded by the customer (which I guess would be cheap enough for US customers). But guessing from the rather LOW RMA (looking at the CS,PP & PT serial numbers and imcrementing 1 for each unit sold) I received this may be isn't the case, either the controllers don't fail as a rule or the shipping costs prohibit the B.E.R \$ value and customers just don't bother.

And as for the reply to my request\help for advice leads me to believe that "CH Products" have their toys and won't let anyone else play with them (for want of a better analogy) which is fair enough but something that I've never come across with anything that I've bought\been given. Seems abit anal (mods you can't remove this word as i've already used it) if you asked me, yes i know you didn't but all your buttons work don't they.

I may try to pursure this, but for the sake of a $36 hardley seems worth it. Just leaves me with a nasty taste in my mouth and rather and a feeling of being conned.

Anyway I would appreciate any comments\pm's good or bad I'm an adult and criticism is welcomed as my views are not every ones.......

Response
Sir;
Your RMA # is **** (keep this number in your records for future contact with us).
You need to box up and ship the Controller with a money order made out to CH Products (in U.S. Funds) for $ 35.63 (to cover shipping back to you) to the following address:
CH Products (RMA # **** )
970 Park Center Drive
Vista, CA 92081
USA
Inside the box should be the Controller, the money order in us funds for $ 35.63 , and a note with your RMA #, name, your contact information and a short description of the problem.
Steve Lister
Tech Support
CH Products

My Reply
Hi Steve,
I find it hard to see why I should pay for the return shipping. I bought CH Products because they where recommended and came with a 2 year warranty (and didnt really expect to have them go wrong so soon). I dont think I read any where that shipping had to be self funded to take advantage of the 2 year warranty. It will cost me close to 50 to get the controller to you and back again, a bit much to stomach Im afraid as for another 40 I could buy a new one or pick up a 2nd hand one.
Also can you tell me if I will have to pay a customs charge when the controller is returned, reaches the UK?
Will you forgo the return shipping cost?
Regards
Toastfrenzy

Response
Sir;
Sorry, It is company policy that the customer pay shipping and handling, even for warranty items. Perhaps you could contact the point of sale, if they are in your region (you should buy locally), they may be able to arrange an exchange if you are unwilling to pay shipping.
Steve Lister
Tech Support
CH Products

My reply
Hi Steve,
Ok, can you put me in touch with someone who can offer some advice as what to look for when I open the controller up? If I had longer to go on the warranty I would send in but for the sake of 5 months
Thanks
Toastfrenzy

Response
Sir;
I am sorry, we do not give advice verbally, electronically, or in paper form how to disassemble and re-assemble our products. We have technicians we pay to do that and it is well within their skill set and training with our products.

Steve Lister

Tech Support

CH Products

toastfrenzy
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2541134 - 06/28/08 08:56 AM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: toastfrenzy]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
well theres a couple CH guys that come around here so hopefully they'll help you out. afaik they've always had good PR and customer service; but im sure there's a few times where thats not the case. actually, ive never had to use their customer service...they're controllers always lasted me forever (still using the same HOTAS for almost 8 years now).

also, have you tried ch-hanger.com? head over to the forums and they always have a techie there helping people out. post there also as they don't check here as often

#2542391 - 06/30/08 06:53 PM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: JoeyJoJo]  
Debby Offline
Debby  Offline

San Diego, CA
Dear Sir,

Im sorry youve experienced a trying time resolving your RMA issue. However, after reading your entire email correspondence with my technical support representative, Im afraid it was not clear where the devices were purchased from, therefore a proper response was not supplied to you. Further reading of your numerous posts on various forums, now indicates that your products were purchased within the UK, therefore opening up your support options.

Our website lists purchasing options for the U.S. as well as a great many other countries. We expect customers to opt for purchasing our product line through a reseller closer to home to save time and money. I can only assume that those who choose to shop around for the best deal on the internet are aware that they lose out on more localized support if they purchase outside of their own country.

Since you did indeed purchase from a reseller in the UK, you may contact our exclusive UK Distributor listed below for more information on how to obtain local warranty support on your CH Products. Please contact me directly if I can be of further assistance.

Contact Simulations and First Class Simulations are wholly owned and controlled by
Contact Sales Ltd
P O Box 586
Banbury
Oxfordshire
OX16 6BY United Kingdom

Phone: 01869 338428
Email: info@contact-simulations.com

Thank you and best regards,

Debby McDowell
Director of Sales and Marketing
CH Products, Retail Division
970 Park Center Drive
Vista, California 92081 USA
Debby@chproducts.com
Tel: 760.598.2518
Fax: 760.598.2524
http://www.chproducts.com

Instant Message:
Yahoo: Debbychprod
MSN: Debby@chproducts.com
AIM: debbychproducts

Debby McDowell
Director of Sales and Marketing

CH Products
970 Park Center Drive
Vista, CA 92081
http://www.chproducts.com
#2542451 - 06/30/08 08:02 PM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: Debby]  
toastfrenzy Offline
toastfrenzy  Offline

Cambridgeshire, UK
I'm humbled by CH Products response and thank Debbie McDowell for the polite proffesional response to my many forum posts in the clearing up this emotive issue for me.

toastfrenzy
#2542706 - 07/01/08 04:48 AM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: toastfrenzy]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
you might want to consider trying harder before hitting the new thread button next time

#2542715 - 07/01/08 05:14 AM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: VF9_Longbow]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
LIONPRIDE
Unregistered

Well, like me, he was probably looking for advice or someone with a similar problem that would simpathize. I don't fault him for his path and also find it refreshing that, in the end, the company made good. CH is a great company w/ great controllers.

Cheers!

#2542802 - 07/01/08 11:19 AM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: ]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
Don't mess with CH. They treat people right.

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#2542826 - 07/01/08 12:12 PM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: Spidey]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
+1

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2542840 - 07/01/08 12:33 PM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: 20mm]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
+ MANY more than one 20mm, many, many more! Thanks Debby for stopping by!

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#2542850 - 07/01/08 12:45 PM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: 531 Ghost]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
And a big +1 to that!

Maybe this thread title should be changed, to Awesome CH Products worldwide warranty.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
#2542851 - 07/01/08 12:50 PM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: toastfrenzy]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
If I weren't left handed I would most likely buy a CH HOTAS. \:\)

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#2542893 - 07/01/08 02:10 PM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
 Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

PM You need to talk to my friend Mark ;\)

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#2542895 - 07/01/08 02:15 PM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: 531 Ghost]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
+1 all around. I've shown pictures of my pit before, total CH happiness going on - and no problems with integration.

Corsair8X

virtually making history 30mm at a time
#2542901 - 07/01/08 02:21 PM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: 531 Ghost]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
 Originally Posted By: 531 Ghost
 Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

PM You need to talk to my friend Mark ;\)

Oh wow. Thanks for that info Ghost! I had no idea about that product.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#2542922 - 07/01/08 02:47 PM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Awesome. PM, you are going to love this gear.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
#2542925 - 07/01/08 02:50 PM Re: Laughable 2 year "worldwide" CH Products warranty [Re: 20mm]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USAFMTL
Unregistered

Pm I am left handed and I use CH stuff....

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.