Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
http://www.simprograms.com/?p=692

Quote:
This really grinds my gears…As reported here in the past, Mass Effect for PC contains a new type of SecuROM which will be present in all future EA/Maxis games.

What does it do? Not only does it install itself to your computer without a word of notification as well as disable your firewall, dvd drives and cd/dvd burning software. It limits you to installing your game on your PC up to 3 times.

This can be triggered via using up your 3 activations and each time you change a piece of hardware, reformat your computer or install/upgrade a new operating system, it takes up one of the activations.

Great! One more thing to screw the legit buyer and make the pirate laugh is ass off because he has a cracked version.

©2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2534604 - 06/18/08 01:09 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Colt40Five Offline
Polyatheist
Colt40Five  Offline
Polyatheist
Veteran

Heart of Dixie
I posted a thread about this before the game was released. Definitely ruined 2 titles I was interested in(spore and mass effect) and would have bought if not for the draconian DRM.

*EDIT* I just checked torrents and Mass Effect is cracked and out there...to pirate or not to pirate that is the question...

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, or how smart you are, If it doesn't agree with experiment it is WRONG. ~Richard Feynman
#2534617 - 06/18/08 01:45 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: Colt40Five]  
Zero Niner Offline
Zero Niner  Offline

Singapore
Sounds like its as bad as Starforce...

#2534620 - 06/18/08 01:51 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: Zero Niner]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Just about forcing people to consoles, doesn't it?

What happens if you run out of activations? Phone in or something?

EDIT: Never mind. You buy a new one. Um, nooo....

pfunk

Last edited by PFunk; 06/18/08 01:53 AM.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#2534623 - 06/18/08 01:55 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: PFunk]  
Colt40Five Offline
Polyatheist
Colt40Five  Offline
Polyatheist
Veteran

Heart of Dixie
 Originally Posted By: PFunk

the jury is still out, but I'm betting since this story hit slashdot that EA will ship this guy a new game if they have to for PR reasons...now what I hope happens is that all the sims fans(there are lots of them) who were going to buy spore read this and DONT buy it...then maybe EA will let us own our games instead of rent them...wishful thinking I know...

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, or how smart you are, If it doesn't agree with experiment it is WRONG. ~Richard Feynman
#2534639 - 06/18/08 02:58 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: Colt40Five]  
Aladar Offline
Aladar  Offline

Fremont, CA
Unfortunately this is what the PC market has driven itself to. With piracy this rampant is it any wonder they're going to these extreme lengths?

#2534641 - 06/18/08 03:19 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: Aladar]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
I propose that game developers look at the piracy problem differently. Pirates are thieves, they steal, and don't buy the games, so nothing is really lost to them, because they were not going to buy it in the first place. Honest customers are going to buy good games and will continue to pay for them as they always have. Drive away the honest customers and you will have really lost something. I won't buy anything with DRM on it, period. That is a loss of revenue they can count on, because I would have bought Spore and Mass Effect without it.

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#2534649 - 06/18/08 03:52 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: coasty]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
simple, just wait till the drm is cracked then pirate it. haaah.

#2534666 - 06/18/08 04:51 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
I own it... and am using the crack. I don't need the crack, but I refuse to be controlled by an idiotic security scheme that only harms paying customers.

#2534680 - 06/18/08 05:37 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: Razorback]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

A fried asked me just a few hours ago if I was going to buy spore. I guess I have my answer now. I wont support any company that uses DRM. I wont even buy a console game if they plan on using DRM with the PC version. To hell with spore and mass effect.

#2534687 - 06/18/08 05:59 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: Aladar]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: Aladar
Unfortunately this is what the PC market has driven itself to. With piracy this rampant is it any wonder they're going to these extreme lengths?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

With the "official product" doing so much screwy things to the computer, is it any wonder piracy is growing?

Is DRM the solution... or the problem? Or could it be legitimately considered to be BOTH at the same time?

I WAS very enthusiastic to get this game... but with that kind of crap that it'll mess up my computer with, THERE IS NO WAY I'LL BUY THIS GAME. And that doesn't mean I'll play a pirated version. Nope, it means I won't play it AT ALL.

The PC gaming industry is loosing me as a customer, the more it goes for this kind of draconian intrusion into the core workings of the computer I buy. Screw it, I've got better things to do, especially once you realize that it'll need two official patches, an unofficial patch and six user-discovered tweeks to make the thing work properly. But disabling my firewall? Are you SERIOUS?!?! WTF?!? NEVER will be installed on my computers... NEVER.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#2534689 - 06/18/08 06:06 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I'll wait for it to hit Steam.

Problem solved.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2534873 - 06/18/08 02:43 PM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: Master]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
im running mass effect w/o any problems, although i have found a "way" that works... ;\)

#2534884 - 06/18/08 03:13 PM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: Rick.50cal]  
M@verick Offline
XBL: GrizzlyBear83 PSN: GrizzlyBear1983
M@verick  Offline
XBL: GrizzlyBear83 PSN: GrizzlyBear1983

Gothenburg, Sweden
@ Rick.50cal:

Come over to the dark side ;\)

Xbox Live: GrizzlyBear83
PSN: GrizzlyBear1983
#2534920 - 06/18/08 04:27 PM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: Aladar]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.

Since this stuff doesn't solve piracy at all, that argument doesn't strike me. What they can do is stop Joe Blow from giving copys to all his friends - any Securom or other required DVD check can do that.

What they'll never stop are dedicated pirate hacks out there. So why do they keep annoying customers?

BTW, Oblivion had no protection - and sold very well. Stalker US version had no protection - and they are making a sequel.

So obviously if the game is good, it will survive. If it's the 150th "The Sims" addon, it won't.

Fortunatly EA has long stopped being on the list of companys that have interesting games.

#2534950 - 06/18/08 05:21 PM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
 Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
What they can do is stop Joe Blow from giving copys to all his friends

And does all this elaborate copy protection also kill selling the PC games as used to be possible? Should we call the second hand sale of games and music piracy? After all, I have between 3k and 4k worth of games that I bought used years ago, never a buck went to the publishers. My second hand music could be in the same range.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#2535238 - 06/19/08 12:31 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Hentzau Offline
Hentzau  Offline

Tampa, Florida USA
 Originally Posted By: Rick.50cal

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

With the "official product" doing so much screwy things to the computer, is it any wonder piracy is growing?

Is DRM the solution... or the problem? Or could it be legitimately considered to be BOTH at the same time?

The PC gaming industry is loosing me as a customer, the more it goes for this kind of draconian intrusion into the core workings of the computer I buy. Screw it, I've got better things to do, especially once you realize that it'll need two official patches, an unofficial patch and six user-discovered tweeks to make the thing work properly. But disabling my firewall? Are you SERIOUS?!?! WTF?!? NEVER will be installed on my computers... NEVER.

I've felt that way ever since I first bought Enigma Rising Tide with "Starforce" included at no extra charge. Had a few minor problems with safedisk even before that. Copy protection has definitely cut down drastically on the number of mainstream gaming titles that I purchase. PC gaming isn't dying, it's committing suicide.

#2535241 - 06/19/08 12:36 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Torquatus Offline
Torquatus  Offline

Brisbane, Australia
On the bright side, they can't add copy protection to games you already have, and don't usually bother adding new copy protection to shovelware editions of games (some even remove the CP). So now is a really good time to see how all the excellent old games run on new hardware ;\)

But they are really trying to force us to join the console movement. I wonder how long it will be before they implement some draconian measures to stop people lending games they don't play any more to their friends?

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Fortunatly EA has long stopped being on the list of companys that have interesting games.

Very true!

"I like to find out that I died, and that I'm currently in a ballet in China, and all the other very accurate and important things that the Wikipedia site brings us all."

-Stephen Fry
#2535365 - 06/19/08 04:15 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: Dart]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
 Originally Posted By: Dart
I'll wait for it to hit Steam.

Problem solved.

I was hoping it would pop on there. I have no problem dealing with Steam's protection scheme. No CD... no limits on installs (Steam controls the multiple install problem by having it tied to your account... one login at a time). It does not disable any virtual drives. Oh, and it installs for you whenever you need it. \:\)

#2535381 - 06/19/08 04:42 AM Re: Mass Effect DRM strikes again [Re: PFunk]  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
 Originally Posted By: PFunk
Just about forcing people to consoles, doesn't it?

EDIT: Never mind. You buy a new one. Um, nooo....

pfunk

Is more like forcing people to pirate the games with this copyprotection! \:D

I Want To Believe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.