Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2525346 - 06/03/08 12:40 AM IR and Radar jammers  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
Quick question about the manual control of the above please...

With the "Auto Counter Measures" switch (CTRL + C), this automatically turns on and off the IR/Radar jammers as needed - why have manual options (I and J)?

Cheers

#2525369 - 06/03/08 01:53 AM Re: IR and Radar jammers [Re: GlynD]  
LazerPotatoe Offline
LazerPotatoe  Offline

Toronto, Canada
Maybe you're in a high threat environment with multiple radar SAMs, and you know you can just pop behind a hill, so you never want the radar jammer engaged.

Or maybe you're part of a team, and your job is to attract _All_ the attention, so you want the Radar Jammer on all the time.

Also, I believe IR jamming does not give away your position, so you could probably leave it on at all times, so you don't have to wait for the delay of the computer turning it on. I believe with the Su-25T for example, it takes like 5 minutes for the IR jammer to warm up and be useable.

I'm hoping that AlphaOneSix will comment here with some real-world info.

Regards,

#2525488 - 06/03/08 09:55 AM Re: IR and Radar jammers [Re: LazerPotatoe]  
AlphaOneSix Offline
AlphaOneSix  Offline

Florida, US
I'm only familiar with U.S. IR and Radar jammers (ALQ-144 and ALQ-136, respectively). The IR jammer is turned on after takeoff and is left on for the duration of the flight. It is always on and always working (well, unless it fails). It does send out IR pulses that are designed to confuse IR seekers, but I don't know of any ground system that is able to detect those pulses, as they are relatively short range. The radar jammer is turned on after takeoff just like the IR jammer, but it stays in a standby mode until it detects a radar lock on the aircraft, at which time it automatically begins active jamming until the threat signals are no longer detected, at which time it automatically goes back into standby mode. In standby mode, it only receives signals and is completely passive. When it begins jamming, it is extremely "loud", so to speak. There is no way to manually tell it to jam or not to jam.

So in order to have the most "realistic" situation in EECH (since it does not replicate the standby mode of the radar jammer), you should just leave the countermeasures on "auto", even though technically the IR jammer should always be on (in the game it starts working immediately when you turn it on, but in real life it take several seconds to spin up. Setting your countermeasures to "auto" in-game seems to be the best compromise between realism and game limitations. Current countermeasure sets also detect incoming IR and radar threats and automatically dispense chaff or flares as required, so it's not unrealistic to let the game handle this for you as well (well, it was unrealistic when the game first came out, maybe, but not anymore).

#2525497 - 06/03/08 11:41 AM Re: IR and Radar jammers [Re: AlphaOneSix]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
Thanks for that info chaps

Just needed to know for the 'pit build.

In the real Apache there is an EMERGENCY panel (just in front of the engine controls), however none of the functions are modelled in EECH so I was wondering what other use I could use it for (it has three "ON - OFF" buttons and a toggle switch).

So I think I will use it for IR, RADAR and AUTO C/M functions and one spare...

Cheers

#2525564 - 06/03/08 02:34 PM Re: IR and Radar jammers [Re: AlphaOneSix]  
ukSleek Offline
ukSleek  Offline

England
Nice info thank's for sharing!

Be Good..Be Strong..;)

#2525872 - 06/04/08 12:28 AM Re: IR and Radar jammers [Re: ukSleek]  
LazerPotatoe Offline
LazerPotatoe  Offline

Toronto, Canada
Thanks AlphaOneSix! Interesting info.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.