Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#2522309 - 05/28/08 08:44 AM Re: So Then [Re: Avimimus]  
Dunkers Offline
Dunkers  Offline

England
 Originally Posted By: Avimimus

I personally can't quite understand the American fixation on World War Two, Vietnam and Desert Storm

I think that, like any nation, your greatest interest in wars is going to be in those that your country actually played a major part in. Apart from the three above, the USA's major conflicts have been the War of Independence, the Mexican-American War and the American Civil War, all of which are the subject of major discussion, research (and myths!). The American entry into WWI was so near the end as to prevent their forces taking part in many major battles, although it did have the desired effect of convincing Germany that they couldn't win due to overwhelming numbers on the Allied side.

In contrast, the UK has no obsession with Vietnam because we weren't there, and precious little about Desert Storm in which we played a minor part. We care far more about the Falklands War, as has been shown by the recent 25th Anniversary parade.

Once upon a time there was dunkelgrun...
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2522484 - 05/28/08 04:14 PM Re: So Then [Re: Dunkers]  
Craterman Offline
Craterman  Offline

"I personally can't quite understand the American fixation on World War Two, Vietnam and Desert Storm"

WW2 was the epic war of epic wars. 1000+ bomber formations, 5000+ ship invasion forces. It was never seen before or never will be seen again. Besides my Dad was there and I heard the stories when I was a kid. The world and freedom was in jeapordy. The Ultimate good verses evil of all time. Just a few reasons.

#2522874 - 05/29/08 07:38 AM Re: So Then [Re: Craterman]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Benny Moore
Unregistered

As Yahtzee eloquently put it, "So why does the U.S. have such a fascination about a time that everyone else would rather just forget about and move on? Well, probably, because that was the last war in which they did any good, when they had a clear win over an unambiguously evil villain who posed a genuine threat ..."

#2523111 - 05/29/08 06:14 PM Re: So Then [Re: ETwit]  
Cas141 Offline
Cas141  Offline

Northern hemisphere
 Originally Posted By: ETwit
There actually is a Knights of The Sky being developed....15 current viewers couldn't be wrong.

I'm 57. Will I get to actually play it before I go to that great aerodrome in the sky???..or am I doomed to having had Red Baron as the only WWI flight sim I ever knew.

Even as great as it was....as great as the SPs have been... after 18 years I have 'bout had enough.

Couldn't resist having a look at the (non) progress, despite what I said, but then m tongue was in cheek -lol

I'm now picking up my OAP - wonder how much HM Gov will have given me when (if ) we see KOTS?

Hope we are both not disappointed, Etwit
- but I really answered because of your sentence ....

" red baron as the only WW1 flight sim I ever knew"...

Have a look at Over Flanders Field at Sim Outhouse.com Best sim there is, - and it is WW1
And the beta of the latest version- being sold on DVD - is presently being tested.

So, you shouldn't be too old for this one!

Mankind's problem is not failing to know the difference between right and wrong; - It is failing to know the difference between different and wrong
#2523183 - 05/29/08 08:13 PM Re: So Then [Re: ]  
ETwit Offline
ETwit  Offline

Oregon
I can't really put my finger on it. I served in the Air Force 70-74 but I have never really "liked" planes without props.

I have always had a thing for those beautiful graceful doublewinged birds. Not that I don't like WWII vintage craft too...but there is just something extra charming about the lines of a WWI fighter that grabs me.

#2523192 - 05/29/08 08:27 PM Re: So Then [Re: Cas141]  
ETwit Offline
ETwit  Offline

Oregon
 Quote:

Have a look at Over Flanders Field at Sim Outhouse.com Best sim there is, - and it is WW1
And the beta of the latest version- being sold on DVD - is presently being tested.

Hmmm.theres an idea. But....

I bought the first 3 CFS and never really liked any of them much. Canned missions. No real career campaign. They didn't have the "SOUL" of Red Baron.

So, isn't O.F.F. just a version of CFS dressed up in WWI garb or am I missing something?

#2523201 - 05/29/08 09:06 PM Re: So Then [Re: ]  
Craterman Offline
Craterman  Offline

Originally Posted By: Benny Moore
As Yahtzee eloquently put it, "So why does the U.S. have such a fascination about a time that everyone else would rather just forget about and move on? Well, probably, because that was the last war in which they did any good, when they had a clear win over an unambiguously evil villain who posed a genuine threat ..."

Yep, a few years later they fired MacArthur for wanting to kill the source of the problems in Korea. Every since then "Political correctness" has forever doomed the world to live with evil.
And your right, we damn near lost the Gulf War, close; but we did prevail :).

#2523304 - 05/30/08 01:43 AM Re: So Then [Re: Craterman]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: Craterman
Yep, a few years later they fired MacArthur for wanting to kill the source of the problems in Korea. Every since then "Political correctness" has forever doomed the world to live with evil.

History lesson in order.

Generals work for our civilian and politically elected representatives under our system of government here in the USA, and not the other way around.

George Washington preserved our fledgling American Republic by walking away from Imperial Presidency, and against the will of many well-meaning Patriots of the time.

MacArthur aspired to expand the Korean conflict, and directly contravene his authority, despite what some Patriots insist even to this day.
Lessons unlearned seem to be repeated ad nauseam.

("evil" has always been used as cover for a world full of sensless human beings)

#2523418 - 05/30/08 06:51 AM Re: So Then [Re: FlyRetired]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I never realised how evil I am!..

#2523475 - 05/30/08 10:30 AM Re: So Then [Re: Dunkers]  
PourleMerite Offline
PourleMerite  Offline

Originally Posted By: dunkelgrun
 Originally Posted By: Benny Moore
What is it about Great War aircraft that appeals more to that age group than the younger ones?

I'm tempted to say that we can remember them when it was all new, but that would be stretching things a bit! Perhaps it's because our grandfathers took part in WWI, which makes it a bit more personal?
One of mine was in the RFC, although nothing glamorous - he was a 'Driver (Petrol)', which must have been a step up from 'Driver (Horse)'! Also, my Nan could remember the Zeppelin raids on London.

My grandfather (mother's father) was in the RFC, mechanic and occasional observer. The only two stories I can remember him telling me were when they were taking off once and hit a gypsies washing-line pole, and how they were twelve miles or so down the line from where Richthofen was shot down and got to see the wreck of his triplane after it had been stripped. Oh! And when they were shown the 'new' US-issue .45 automatic pistol, my GF discharged the entire clip into the ground accidentally and "nearly had a heart-attack". \:D

I remember handling his forage-cap, mainly because of the incredible quality of the materials and workmanship. My uncle had his revolver. And there was an old lady, a friend of my grandmother's, who had been engaged to a pilot who lost his life over the front, who lived up the road. I visited her with my GM once and was shown a little book he'd kept as a kind of diary with all sorts of pictures he'd drawn. She had never married and died a spinster.

It was all pretty influential stuff for a small kid (I'm nearly 48 now). I built an Airfix 'Dogfight Double' when I was five or six, a Fokker Triplane and Be2 IIRC. The triplane was painted bright red and my mother hung it from the ceiling in our bedroom.

Happy days. \:\)

Last edited by PourleMerite; 05/30/08 10:31 AM.
#2523662 - 05/30/08 06:00 PM Re: So Then [Re: ETwit]  
fearlesslds Offline
fearlesslds  Offline

fayetteville
I agree with the first post where is this thing . Can't play RB3d anymore. Would rather this game was delayed 3 months and we were given a weekly update than this sparatic ''
It's still coming out " junk .

scott hill
#2523664 - 05/30/08 06:02 PM Re: So Then [Re: ]  
fearlesslds Offline
fearlesslds  Offline

fayetteville
I'm 48 . Think the younger kids only want speed and noise . Same in their first person shooters .

scott hill
#2523690 - 05/30/08 06:53 PM Re: So Then [Re: fearlesslds]  
Sturm_Williger Offline
Sturm_Williger  Offline

Virtual Paradise
Wow, I feel quite sprightly at only 41 \:D
Recent health issues raised similar concerns that I might not get to fly KoTS, but that's passed and I'm happily waiting again.

I also find that jets have little attraction ( nice to look at maybe, but I'd rather "virtually" fly a propplane.)

Was reading some translations of MvR's combat reports and I love the way he describes a dogfight - it's not even turnfighting ... "And then we began to curve".

Bring it on ! \:\)

"Another glass of your loathsome, vaguely beerish frozen swill, if you please."
#2523823 - 05/30/08 10:32 PM Re: So Then [Re: Sturm_Williger]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
Like the Army versus the Navy

Army is centred around the dangerous cover close by and what might be hiding in it so teamwork is favourite, massive multiplayer Kursk for example or London's 1000 plane Dockland: and the Navy is about miniscule dots on the horizon you need to whip out the telescope to ID

Prop planes closeup shots to jets' Hand of Waldo operations

Sir Walter Raleigh inventor of the bicycle to Sir Frank Whittle?

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2523864 - 05/31/08 12:11 AM Re: So Then [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

I don't care to fly a sim where I'm staring at a computer screen, but now it's the virtual one in my cockpit.

I don't care to fly a sim where an automated weapon system seeks out and kills the enemy, unseen, and over the horizon from my view.

I don't care to fly a sim where weather is incidental, and radars constantly monitor the situation to warn me of a threat.

Some may like this combat flight sim experience, and by the number of modern-era games that have been released over these past recent years, and because of the new ones in the pipeline too, they should be more than happy about their gaming situation.

My gaming interest aren't based on nostalgic yearnings for WWI, or because of some slanted inability to progress beyond "WWII The Big One", it's because for many of us, we like using our Mk.1 eyeballs and our Mk.2 guns to pursue our combat flight simming, and it's as simple as that.

#2523936 - 05/31/08 02:16 AM Re: So Then [Re: ETwit]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Originally Posted By: ETwit
 Quote:

Hmmm.theres an idea. But....

I bought the first 3 CFS and never really liked any of them much. Canned missions. No real career campaign. They didn't have the "SOUL" of Red Baron.

So, isn't O.F.F. just a version of CFS dressed up in WWI garb or am I missing something?

No not quite, take a look at the movies on our website.. new AI, new high res scenery, full dynamic campaign engine (not CFS3's) around 230+ aircraft in the air over the font on real missions from real bases etc.. see the website for full feature list. Also posted some nice pics in the forum on SOH and here..

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2523920#Post2523920

Last edited by Polovski; 05/31/08 02:18 AM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#2524083 - 05/31/08 12:32 PM Re: So Then [Re: Polovski]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Mark,

Those OFF sceenshots are stupendous, and warrant a peek here of just a few.

Not only is P3 looking great, but the game features (compared to CFS3) are improved for the better too!

#2524091 - 05/31/08 12:49 PM Re: So Then [Re: Polovski]  
ETwit Offline
ETwit  Offline

Oregon
OK then..if that be the case then I'll give her a try..not much else to do while waiting for KOTS...'cause sure as shooting ...I ain't about to play no racecar sim...

#2524112 - 05/31/08 02:02 PM Re: So Then [Re: ETwit]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
OFF is always worth a go, I've been playing it since Phase one and the content has been getting better and better.

However it does have it's faults, all of which are down to the CFS3 engine.
The first is AI, they have the ability to shoot the wings off a fly from a mile away. I'm really hoping that can be toned down in P3 as I've lost a few campaign persona's by a golden BB from an unrealistic distance. The other is, as my PC upgrades have improved my processing and graphics capability, CFS3's engine has been struggling to keep up. There is a texture fill rate issue that has crept up on me recently. Mainly apparent when using TIR, have too quick a glance at my six will show blue or white textures on the terrain. CFS3's engine is not quick enough to draw the terrain for me. Lower the graphic settings or use slower head movements reduces it, but that is not really a solution.
I don't believe that will ever be fixed.

All that said though, if WWI simming is what rocks your world, then OFF is the only real sim out there that will meet the demands of modern expectation. P2 has holes in it, but it is far superior to anything else out there. Phase 3 has shown a good deal of promise too. Add the fact that it is in beta testing now, it shouldn't be long before we get our mitts on it.

#2524138 - 05/31/08 03:21 PM Re: So Then [Re: Brigstock]  
ETwit Offline
ETwit  Offline

Oregon
This thread is turning out to be a real gold mine of info...guess I'll just wait on P3. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.