Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#2509739 - 05/07/08 05:43 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: FishTaco]  
nibbio Offline
nibbio  Offline

Italy
FishTaco, impressive stuff; I just biked 50 km (usual route commuting to and from work plus some errands) but sure won't go to the gym today. Right now I'm just cooling off with a nice beer \:\)

I'd suggest a different approach to the weights though; if you want to increase muscle mass best approach is 2 to 3 sets of 8-12 reps with 75%-85% of your 1RM (one rep max for that particular exercise), longish rest from 2 to 3 min. If you are instead trying to improve endurance I'd go with anything from 40% to 60% of 1RM for 2 to 3 sets of 25-30 reps; short rest like 1 min.
7 sets of 10 reps is a lot of wasted effort, IMHO.

As for the fact that you are gaining weight, if you hadn't been training for a while you are certainly packing some more muscle, which is denser than fat. Also check your diet like VF9_Longbow said; you won't lose any weight if you eat back all of the calories you burn training.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2509745 - 05/07/08 05:58 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: imaca]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
 Originally Posted By: imaca
you need some kind of exercise you can incorporate into your daily life - most people just don't have the willpower to keep up going to the gym.

I've managed to break through the psychological barrier and have worked out for the past 4 weeks straight almost every day. Having the treadmill downstairs and the weights is a big plug - it doesn't require me to go to the gym and I can do it every afternoon while watching some TV.

Quote:
Also beware of artificial sweeteners. A recent experiments on rats have shown weight gain compared to a control just by giving them artificial sweeteners.

That is a big problem for me. I've got a terrible diet soda habit. I know I should drink water..and I drink a ton of it while working out..but for snacking and with meals I enjoy a diet soda. I had heard the recent reports associating artificial sweeteners with food cravings. Right now I'm pretty comfortable with where I'm heading though..so no drastic changes will be required regarding my diet soda deal.

Last night I weighed in a 192 lbs. and about 17.5% body fat. So since I've started this I'm down about 15 pounds!! My pants and shorts are definitely too big now. This is great..

BeachAV8R

#2510323 - 05/08/08 05:41 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: imaca]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Down to 80kg today! That's 176lbs. I am still eating all kinds of junk food too. Crazy.

Wanna lose weight? Come to Japan.

#2510523 - 05/08/08 10:49 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Got my CPX done today. Everything's cool, I'm in pretty good health for a 35-year-old. Doc sez I gotta lose about 10 pounds, and I'll get my blood work back on Monday to see what my LDL and glucose is.

So, I pre-ordered my Wii Fit board and I've got a treadmill I can use. Probably go to Academy and see about a weight set because I want to be down to about 160-165 by August.

pfunk

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#2510583 - 05/09/08 12:58 AM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: PFunk]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Just a little bit of info that sort of popped into my head this morning, I think I found out why I'm losing so much weight.

There are many foods that I don't like to eat in Japan, I'm not a big fan of raw fish and weird items.. That being said, I started eating eggs regularly for breakfast.

I think that eating eggs are responsible for me losing weight. On average I eat 1 or 2 eggs every day for breakfast, along with a bit of salad and sometimes bacon and bread.

2 eggs seems to be very filling and I only get hungry again way later in the day around 8pm despite eating breakfast at 7 or 8am.

Just a thought.

#2510625 - 05/09/08 02:28 AM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Is there a danger of cholesterol with too many eggs? Just wondering...

#2510637 - 05/09/08 02:58 AM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Nutritionists go back and forth on eggs. On one hand, yes, they do offer a little more cholesterol, about 200mg an egg. A normal person may only need about 300mg, depending on their level of physical activity.

On the other hand, eggs offer a dynamite source of muscle and organ-building protein. Not even red meat equals it for the level of protein in a form so readily available for use. The only thing better than eggs for protein intake is fish.

I like my eggs, and making them scrambled is pretty much the least fattening way to go. Fried eggs are too greasy, always scramble or poach. But, if you want protein to get ripped, eat fish, preferably the vac-packed pink salmon in the grocery store. The dangers of heavy metal poisoning is nearly nil, kinda like the Alar scare.

pfunk

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#2510933 - 05/09/08 03:20 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: PFunk]  
nibbio Offline
nibbio  Offline

Italy
The nice thing with eggs is that all of the fat sits in the yolk (about 6g per yolk, so little more than 50 calories worth of fat) along with 2 or 3g of excellent protein. The egg white OTOH is virtually fat free: just 4 or 5g of excellent protein and water, amounting to about 20 cal.

So if you are concerned about cholesterol or excess calories just scramble one yolk and as many whites as you want, or just the whites.

My problem is that every morning I start separating the yolks from the whites but cannot ever bring myself to waste egg yolks, so I end up eating the whole mess \:\)

VF9_Longbow, don't skip lunch; the reason you are losing so much weight is that you are losing precious muscle mass. Your body is getting rid of muscle because you are not feeding it enough, and it's going into "famine mode", getting rid of the most metabolically active tissue. Soon your metabolism will slow down for good, and as you get back to a normal diet your body will want to store more fat. Tricky devilish stuff, very useful to survive when we were cave men, not so useful anymore \:\)

#2516967 - 05/19/08 01:16 AM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: nibbio]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
I think I broke 190 today. We'll see later. After 3 days of windsurfing down at the coast and eating right while I was there..I'm fairly certain I am below 190 now. 185 next! Maybe 180 after that...

I'm gonna celebrate with a Klondike bar when I hit 185.. \:D

#2520146 - 05/24/08 03:24 AM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Uther Offline
Aviation Coordinator
Uther  Offline
Aviation Coordinator
Hotshot

Upstate NY
Well I quit smoking again back in September and darned as I'll be I may have to join your club.

Weighing in @ 215lbs right now and some old military injuries (back) are starting to flare up real nasty like.

Was talking to a bro (former vet who has done weight watchers) and he says it's got a point system that is real easy to follow?

#2520202 - 05/24/08 08:20 AM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: Uther]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Hi, my name is Øystein, and I'm overweight.

36, 185cm, 108kgs.

I've been telling myself I need to get in shape again, and shed some weight. I think my biggest problem is my food intake. I generally don't do junk food, but I just eat alot. I love good food..

I'm a fine weather biker, meaning that if the forecast is ok, I bike to work (13km trip, with 400m altitude difference, uphill going home). I've also started hiking as I have the woods right next door, and will start biking into the woods (I was planning on it today, but it's raining).

I have been contemplating joining a gym, as there is one right by my subway stop, but I have joined gyms twice before and become a 'supportive' member, ie never gone. partly because one of them was kinda a hassle to get to for me (no car).

The ride home takes me about 1 hour, but I'm thinking that 1 hour at the gym doing 'spinning' (ie biking) might be more helpful to me, as it's higher tempo than my ride is, and I can do weights at the gym as well. One idea was to join some of their non-biking classes on days they have them, and then bike up from work, but usually by the time I get to the subway stop, I'm so exhausted I just wanna go home and take a shower.

I think my most important issue will be getting my diet under control. The "no eating after 5/6pm" won't work for me, I normally work 9-17, then an hour to get home, and to shower and cook dinner and it's 7pm before I get to sit down with my food. I do love soda, and I enjoy my hot tea sweet, and I can't stand the taste of artificial sweetners, they taste anything but sugar (and coffee is out, it's pthewweeieee).

My initial aim is to try to get below 100kgs and stay there. And to get better endurance and arm strength.

#2521150 - 05/26/08 09:02 AM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Vulgarity Offline
Vulgarity  Offline

I'm underweight. I read the thoughts of overweight people to hopefully gain weight. None of it works.

We are just cursed.

I can do the worst of your habits to try to gain weight, it doesn't work. I can go FAR beyond your "weight loss" programs and I won't see any change.

If you're skinny or obese that's that, end of discussion. Your body is what it is, it's that simple.

True, we can somewhat shape things (pun not intended) but life has the final say.

I can eat ten thousand calories a day - I'll just spend more time on the toilet.

I can work out with such a diet - I'll still just spend more time on the toilet.

You, if you're a fattie, you'll just spend more time growing fat...

There's just no getting away from this thing called "destiny", and it sure hurts...

I guess I sound like some rich man talking about how "money has it's problems", but trust me, being skinny for life has it's problems, it does...

For one you get accused of being on meth...

#2521451 - 05/26/08 09:21 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: Vulgarity]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
I disagree that "your body is what it is, it's that simple". Completely disagree. You may have tendencies and a genetic disposition to being one way or the other, but it is patently false to say that most people have no control over it.

I weighed in last night at 188 lbs. and 16.5% body fat. I've lost nearly 20 pounds since the start of this program on March 30. And I haven't really been doing it hard core..I've just been eating smart and exercising a bit each day. Caloric intake and caloric burn is pretty simple math..if you do the math and don't cheat, you will lose weight. It may be easier for an obese person to lose weight than for a skinny person to gain it..I don't know.

#2522493 - 05/28/08 04:33 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
This weeks activities:
Sunday: ~22km hike (just under 6 hours) in the woods.
Mon-Wednsday: 2x13.5km bike rides each day (to and from work)

I've been cutting down on the portions I have for dinner, and trying to not have an evening snack.

We'll see if it gets me anywhere \:\)

#2523140 - 05/29/08 07:13 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
T Rex Offline
T Rex  Offline

Heya Beach - congrats and good luck on this project! \:D

Oh, and apparently the "weight loss" extends to shedding unwanted forums? ;\) \:D

(Sorry, couldn't resist the target!)

:thumbs:

--------------
Sic semper tyrannosauro.
#2523603 - 05/30/08 03:18 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: T Rex]  
Qutlass Offline
Qutlass  Offline

AL
Long time lurker of this topic. Just filled up the bike today after going 170miles on the main tank (1.9 us gal). I used to have to fill at 158miles everytime. Then it hit me as i lose the pounds, my mileage is increasing.
I'm down 31 lbs now to 210 after 2 1/2 months of trying. Jogging 5 miles of Monday and Tuesday, jumping rope for an hour on Wednesday, 3 miles on Thursday and Friday combined with some rope. Working well for me at this time.
Best of luck to all.

#2523612 - 05/30/08 03:43 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: Qutlass]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
OK,

Got my blood work back. My 'bad' cholesterol is about 129, but my glucose levels were fine (which is great because diabetes runs in my family).

We got the Wii Fit Balance Board and let me tell you something, that thing is making a big difference. I can already notice a huge change in my energy levels and I can see it in my wife as well, she's slimming down pretty nicely (not that she was terribly overweight to begin with). My goal is losing ten pounds in two months and the Wii Fit thing keeps track of your BMI and I'm on track. I'm down about two pounds after working out for about two weeks.

My strength levels are way up. The lunges, combined with pushup and side planks are really toning me up. I'm noticing things don't jiggle as much they used to!

pfunk

www.sixmanfootball.com
#2523691 - 05/30/08 06:55 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: PFunk]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Yay. I weighed in at 105,6kg today after my bike ride. Thats down 3kg since last saturday, and I have planned 2 long hikes (5-6 hours) this weekend as well.

Nothing drastic I've changed. Main thing is eating a little less (but still an decent portion), cut out normal bread during lunch, eating rye bread instead. And I've cut down my sugar intake in my tea by 2/3rds (I now use 1 teaspoon of sugar, and 1 arteficial sweetner tablet).

#2524628 - 06/01/08 04:18 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
From another thread:

The 20 pounds was not difficult to lose at all..I didn't starve myself..and I didn't go ballistic with the working out. In reality, the first 7 pounds was almost free weight loss because it was weight I packed on immediately after my Pikes Peak climb in Colorado. When I got home from that, I just gorged myself on everything - ice cream, pizza, etc... So I went from 200 lbs. to 207 lbs. in about a matter of a week. So that was sort of "shock" weight I guess I'd call it. So dropping that initial 7 lbs. happened very quickly, probably in a little over a week.

The rest of the weight has come off steadily as I changed my eating habits. I have no more than 200 calories for breakfast (usually an oatmeal square or something similar), then for lunch I typically have something in the 500 calorie range like a Subway sandwich (no cheese, no mayo!), and for dinner, I've been eating a LOT of fish. The other BIG change was that when I'm out flying now, I no longer raid the snack vending machines at the FBOs, and if I go out to eat on the company dime, I almost always have something like salmon, rice, and veggies or a club sandwich. So I figure I've been cutting my daily caloric intake down to around 1200 to 1400 calories. And every day I do a workout at home, consisting of about 500 calories of treadmill (3.6 mph - 8% incline..a fast walking speed) and I alternate days of doing chest and legs workouts. I really think the workouts have been crucial since I've built lean muscle which is also burning calories all the time. The back muscles and quads are great to build up because they are relatively large muscle masses..and they can really burn some calories once you develop them. I haven't really bulked up at all..but I've definitely leaned down.

I'm 6' 2" - and as of today I weigh 186 pounds. I'm thinking that right around 180 is going to be about perfect for me. My body fat content dropped from 23% at 207 pounds down to just under 16% right now..and I think 13% will be ideal..so I got a few more pounds to go.

Here is a photo from mountain biking the other day:

#2525263 - 06/02/08 09:35 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.