Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2519982 - 05/23/08 08:43 PM Coc Extended Marker Addon ( CEX )  
plong999 Offline
plong999  Offline

Canada
Well, I really like this addon from CoC :

Did you have a look at COC Extended Marker Addon ?

(link)
video
video2
The video doesn't show that you can switch to first person view and take control of your character.
The command engine is available during gameplay (realtime "enhanced" waypoints editor ) and in the editor.

(link-download) armaholic

What I like the most of this concept is the fact that you can add waypoints in a realtime fashion... I tought that main concern that I have with AI is that my "team" is not even capable of following me adequately... so imagine the rest... So I said to myself : "If I could only add waypoints directly to the map in realtime at least I could go to point A to B witout loosing half of my team stuck against a wall" !

So, with this mode you can add waypoints,behavior etc. If you merge the examples missions in the ArmA editor you place yourself as leader of a platoon or squad (depending on the mission can replace a few units to "playable" and you can switch between them using the T key, From contextual menu: switch to unit, then hit esc key then T if you want to switch to other units)
You start the mission then the niddle mouse opens the "command engine" and enjoy ! There are view options : Hud, free camera etc.(you right-click for contextual menues.)

That is why I find COC interesting... The grid view is still a little weak but adding waypoints from the map (M view) is good.I tried it with 1.14 and it works quite nicely for a beta...
I wonder why they don't have any infos of this addon at the CoC website?

Imho, this addon is a great foundation for a lot of addons and I am going to run to the ACE site
and hope they used it in their addon...

Don't you think it would be an asset for the squad leader and team leader to add waypoints at the map briefing before the mission starts and even during ongoing missions ?

I recommand to check this addon and test it in your editor or play missions provided in the download. Tell me what you think !!!

I am not posting this thread to propose it as an addon to SimHQ because a lot of rewriting would be needed. I have checked the script and I did not find an easy way to load the SimHQ units into it.
Still,I find this addon very good and has better mechanisms then those proposed in warfare v 1.0 wich is very limited imho.

I am just posting this to evaluate how many people like this concept...

off topic:
I was wondering how many AI you can put in a mission (average} ? What is the limit of AI(s) to get a server running with acceptable FPS ?

Regards,

Last edited by plong999; 05/23/08 10:52 PM.

Phil
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2520017 - 05/23/08 10:20 PM Re: Coc Extended Marker Addon ( CEX ) [Re: plong999]  
Los Offline
Los  Offline

I have been playing a large amount of CEX even in MP and I think it's a great mod.

Los

#2520082 - 05/24/08 12:59 AM Re: Coc Extended Marker Addon ( CEX ) [Re: Los]  
Dslyecxi Offline
Dslyecxi  Offline

Houston, TX
It's the "CoC Command Engine", not the "CoC Extended Marker Addon". Additionally, it's pretty broken in MP at the moment, if you're not commanding units.

#2520113 - 05/24/08 02:16 AM Re: Coc Extended Marker Addon ( CEX ) [Re: Dslyecxi]  
Gunterlund Offline
Gunterlund  Offline

Whats wrong with MP in CEX. Also how do you use the Signal option for Waypoints

#2520218 - 05/24/08 10:40 AM Re: Coc Extended Marker Addon ( CEX ) [Re: Dslyecxi]  
plong999 Offline
plong999  Offline

Canada
 Originally Posted By: Dslyecxi
It's the "CoC Command Engine", not the "CoC Extended Marker Addon". Additionally, it's pretty broken in MP at the moment, if you're not commanding units.

Well if you follow the armaholic link it's labeled as CoC Extended Marker...How should I know ?
And as I said, nothing informative about the addon at the CoC website :

Phil
#2520370 - 05/24/08 07:11 PM Re: Coc Extended Marker Addon ( CEX ) [Re: plong999]  
Dslyecxi Offline
Dslyecxi  Offline

Houston, TX
 Quote:

Try this: http://www.website.thechainofcommand.net/command_engine.htm

#2520562 - 05/25/08 02:59 AM Re: Coc Extended Marker Addon ( CEX ) [Re: Dslyecxi]  
plong999 Offline
plong999  Offline

Canada
 Originally Posted By: Dslyecxi
 Quote:

Try this: http://www.website.thechainofcommand.net/command_engine.htm

Yes, thank you Dslyecxi I saw this, but it was made for OFP and I was wondering what was happening
to the addon regarding ArmA...
I think I am a little bit overwhelmed by all those addons because I was looking for the best tactical-strategic-game and I ran into your website and I read your articles and I share a lot of your views on the subject.
Anyway in conclusion I trust your judgement; If you say it's broken, well, too bad for me...
So,ACE is going to be the addon for ArmA...? then ArmA 2 is going to be published and will start all over again !!! ;\)

Thx for the infos...

Regards,

Phil
#2520900 - 05/25/08 08:42 PM Re: Coc Extended Marker Addon ( CEX ) [Re: plong999]  
Dslyecxi Offline
Dslyecxi  Offline

Houston, TX
 Originally Posted By: plong999
If you say it's broken, well, too bad for me...

It's broken in multiplayer, yes. Anyone who is not commanding units will get about 1fps. It's supposed to be updated "soon", but I've been hearing "soon" re: CoC updates for many months now and I'm at the point where I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:
So,ACE is going to be the addon for ArmA...? then ArmA 2 is going to be published and will start all over again !!! ;\)

Yeah, ACE should cover most of it. ArmA2 should not set things back, though - obviously stuff will need to be tweaked for it, but the core mod should not be hard to port over.

#2520930 - 05/25/08 09:49 PM Re: Coc Extended Marker Addon ( CEX ) [Re: plong999]  
plong999 Offline
plong999  Offline

Canada
This addon is broken so no need to post anymore...thread over. Too bad it would be nice to get the
units,(team-squad-platoon) on the map before the mission starts and have the option for the (leaders of team-squad-platoons ) to add waypoints that generates those small yellow squares ingame.

The code is there because it's been added in a limited way in warfare v 1.0...

Phil
#2521887 - 05/27/08 05:43 PM Re: Coc Extended Marker Addon ( CEX ) [Re: plong999]  
Los Offline
Los  Offline

Guys we are playing Multiplayer with COC CEX all the time.

Here's what you have to do. All non-commander players have to join in AFTER the CEX engine initializes. It is during the CEX initialization that everyone (but the commander) chunks out to 1 fps. Even if you are caught in that situation as a client, abort out (disco), jump right back in, and you are running like glass. I have had 6 players connected in during a CEX game without a problem working in the above fashion..

Credit goes to my 5 year old (seriously) for discovering this workaround!

Los

p.s. This is on a LAN

Last edited by Los; 05/27/08 05:44 PM.
#2521972 - 05/27/08 07:45 PM Re: Coc Extended Marker Addon ( CEX ) [Re: Los]  
Dslyecxi Offline
Dslyecxi  Offline

Houston, TX
 Originally Posted By: Los
Here's what you have to do. All non-commander players have to join in AFTER the CEX engine initializes. It is during the CEX initialization that everyone (but the commander) chunks out to 1 fps. Even if you are caught in that situation as a client, abort out (disco), jump right back in, and you are running like glass. I have had 6 players connected in during a CEX game without a problem working in the above fashion..

Interesting to hear it. Unfortunately, at least for a group like mine, this workaround is impractical for our session purposes. \:\(

#2521995 - 05/27/08 08:07 PM Re: Coc Extended Marker Addon ( CEX ) [Re: Dslyecxi]  
Los Offline
Los  Offline

Well you guys have enough people on line that you probably don't need coc anyways. Wait that came out wrong, I mean CEX ;\) Unless you wanted to add a touch more wisdom to your opfor by having someone run them?

But before you throw the baby out with the bathwater, alls that is required assuming you're all on something like TS (and running a smaller game) is to have the commander hop in first, wait the few seconds until the engine initializes and then say OK guys come in the water is fine.

Cheers...

Los

#2522183 - 05/28/08 01:32 AM Re: Coc Extended Marker Addon ( CEX ) [Re: Los]  
Dslyecxi Offline
Dslyecxi  Offline

Houston, TX
 Originally Posted By: Los
Well you guys have enough people on line that you probably don't need coc anyways. Wait that came out wrong, I mean CEX ;\) Unless you wanted to add a touch more wisdom to your opfor by having someone run them?

There are several legit reasons for why we would want to use CEX in ArmA. One of them involves OPFOR commanders, but there are also uses for it as BLUFOR. Unfortunately, due to the MP issues, we have not been able to fully explore those uses.

Quote:
But before you throw the baby out with the bathwater, alls that is required assuming you're all on something like TS (and running a smaller game) is to have the commander hop in first, wait the few seconds until the engine initializes and then say OK guys come in the water is fine.

Yeah, if that works for a small group, that's cool, and it's good to know. There are a few factors that make it prohibitive for a larger group, though, and some of them would not be apparent unless you've tried getting 60 people off of and then back onto a server in a short period of time (read: ArmA has issues with this).

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.