Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#2495120 - 04/16/08 02:10 AM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: nibbio]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
How's it going Skater? I'm doing pretty good right now. Been working out each day and have really pared back the calories. I haven't weighed in tonight yet..but I'm guessing I'll be down to around 197 or so. I'm in the groove now and just have to keep steady on the exercise at this point. I can tell the workouts are making a big difference..I can feel that I'm getting leaner. The final 10 pounds will always be difficult though..the "love handles"..the last to go. A lot of work for very little noticeable gain initially.

Been eating a lot of little snack items instead of big meals. For dinner tonight I had probably 2 cups worth of pasta and some green beans. Then an hour ago I had a 110 calorie granola bar. Been keeping my snacking at the computer to a minimum and been drinking a TON of water. That does seem to suppress the appetite.

Keep it up!

BeachAV8R

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2495667 - 04/16/08 09:50 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Well, I cheated only once, but I have really rolled back the calorie intake. I can actually see a difference. I think I have lost about 1 inch of waist.

Pounds are down by 11.5 as of today. Body fat is only down 3.2%, but that is not an absolute anyway, and the H2O is down by a whopping 9.1%.

I really don't understand the water reading, as I am taking in a LOT of water daily. Usually 10 8oz. glasses, sometimes more. When I feel like I need chips, or candy, or anything like that, I chug a bottle of Poland Spring.

I have been eating performance bars instead of a snack after I work out, and I think my body likes me for it. It has more calories, but a ton of protien and other stuff as well. Body says YES after I eat one, so the protien bars stay. I especially like the Peanut Butter ones.

So... It's going good. I am definitely dropping the Nutrisystem food after this month though, and I will design a diet of whole foods around the basic core principles, which should be on par or even slightly better than the Nutrisystem diet food. Plus it will taste a whole lot better.

My wife says she is going to stick with Nutrisystem, she's lost 10lbs and a heap of water and body fat. She's currently at 144 pounds.

-Skater

"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#2495937 - 04/17/08 11:20 AM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: Skater]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
I just bought a Bowflex Ultimate 2 and the Bowflex 552 dumbell set. I just can't seem to find the impetus to go to the gym.

I figure if the equipment is staring me in the face, I'll have to use it. So...

I hope they are as good as they are on TV.

-Skater

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#2496802 - 04/18/08 03:21 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: Skater]  
nibbio Offline
nibbio  Offline

Italy
Skater, I commend your choice of a whole food diet. It's going to take a while to safely drop 60 pounds (at least a whole year) and you don't want to eat artificial stuff for so long.

Also good choice of equipment; I trained at home for a couple of years, with much cheaper stuff, and had good results. Just remember to use it often, but not everyday. You should alternate weight training days with aerobic training days, in order to give your muscles time to recuperate; you can do weights one day and bike the next, for example.

As for the water, check this link http://www.peakperformance.on.ca/cjohtv/2007/body_composition_feb.htm
In practice, obesity may cause an increase in ECW (extra-cellular water), so your body is probably correcting an imbalance.

Finally, in my experience, 1 inch of waist = 5 or 6 pounds of fat gone.

nibbio

#2496994 - 04/18/08 08:05 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: nibbio]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
 Originally Posted By: nibbio
Just remember to use it often, but not everyday. You should alternate weight training days with aerobic training days, in order to give your muscles time to recuperate; you can do weights one day and bike the next, for example.

Just curious, can I do weights every day as long as I'm isolating to different muscle groups? The reason I ask is that I work out every day..about 50 minutes of cardio, then I'll do either legs and back or chest and arms..

For example:

Monday 1 hr. treadmill - curls, benchpress, butterfly (basically arms and chest)

Tuesday 1 hr. treadmill - leg bench (leg curls, leg extension) and lat pulldown (back)

Then I just repeat...occasionally taking a day off (maybe 1 day off every 9 or 10 days)..

I don't get the feeling this is too much..?

#2497126 - 04/18/08 11:58 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
Well, I used to power lift every day back in high school... I was fine. \:\)

If I did that now, I would not be able to move.

#2497382 - 04/19/08 12:35 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
NaiseFail Offline
NaiseFail  Offline

Virginia
 Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
Lucky Dawgs! My downfall is the darn computer..always getting the munchies here..

Maybe you should try what I do, Drink!
Feel hungry? Get a cup of coffee, or coke, or whatever you like.
I can drink something and not feel hungry for awhile. ( I usually only eat once a day. )
And of course, it's probably pretty healthy to keep a constant stream of coffee flowing in. =P

#2498404 - 04/21/08 12:29 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
nibbio Offline
nibbio  Offline

Italy
 Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
 Originally Posted By: nibbio
Just remember to use it often, but not everyday. You should alternate weight training days with aerobic training days, in order to give your muscles time to recuperate; you can do weights one day and bike the next, for example.

Just curious, can I do weights every day as long as I'm isolating to different muscle groups? The reason I ask is that I work out every day..about 50 minutes of cardio, then I'll do either legs and back or chest and arms..

For example:

Monday 1 hr. treadmill - curls, benchpress, butterfly (basically arms and chest)

Tuesday 1 hr. treadmill - leg bench (leg curls, leg extension) and lat pulldown (back)

Then I just repeat...occasionally taking a day off (maybe 1 day off every 9 or 10 days)..

I don't get the feeling this is too much..?

Well, the issue is very debatable. This is what I know:
The principle is that muscles grow after stimulation, in a so called "supercompensation" phase that occurs while you are resting. So if you don't get adequate rest (good sleep, downtime, and don't forget good nutrition!), you don't get the best out of your training. The meaning of "adequate rest" is highly variable, and it depends from many factors; I feel the most important are:

1) Age; if you are a young stud you can really abuse your body and can count on very good recuperation in a very short time. As you get older, your body needs more time to recuperate from the stress.

2) Intensity and volume: if you train at high intensity (heavy loads) and/or volume (high reps) the time you need to recuperate increases. Of course this may be attenuated by the fact that you train different muscle groups on subsequent days, but still...

This is all very individual of course, so you must learn to listen to your body. I find that one indicator is DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), dull pains in you muscles developing 24 to 48 hours after heavy weight training. If I get a little bit sore I know the intensity was right, if I get so sore that I can barely walk (typical with squats, in my case), I know it was a bit too much \:\) Now this is not so reliable because there are muscle groups that very rarely get sore at all, no matter how much punishment I inflict (i.e. deltoids, byceps).

If I were you I would try to separate aerobic from resistance training, or at least do the aerobic part after the weights. If I do aerobics before weights (excpet for a 5-10 min warm-up) the glycogen stored in my muscles is so depleted by the time I get to the weights that I find I don't have the energy to reach the necessary intensity. In any case as I said we are all different. Also you must consider that to reach higher intensities one has to be training for quite some time (1 year or more).

If one trains with high intensity withour adequate rest the price to be paid is the gradual reaching of an "overtrained" state, where progress is not happening any more, due to less than adequate rest, with resulting immunodepression (getting infected by viruses and bacteria as you get frequent colds, feel lousy most of the time, etc.). The problem is that once you reach this state it takes a hell of a looong time of rest before being able to resume training, and it's frustrating because you lose most of the progress made.

To sum it up, in my view both aerobics and weights are important. Aerobics are more important for general health (and secondarily to burn calories), weights are important to increase or maintain muscle mass, especially when dieting. While there are no controindications to dayly aerobics (of course the intensity/volume thing is relevant to aerobics as well, a marathon every day is not feasible by most humans \:\) ) common wisdom suggests to train with weights no more then 2 or 3 times a week, but your mileage may vary according to your age, body, current physical conditioning, intensity and volume of training, other occupations, nutritional status, use of enhancement drugs (e.g. steroids), moon phase, planet alignment and what not...

Another thing I find useful is to vary the aerobic activity often; one time is biking, the next maybe jogging, or swimming, or just playing frisbee with the kids. My friends who run all the time run much faster than me, but are often injured and must stop for months at a time. It may be hard to believe, but even swimming frequently causes overuse injuries, like shoulder impingements in free style or knee pain in the breast stroke. If you alternate you practically never get injured (and I may add you never make any frigging progress... \:\) )

Now I realize I got a bit carried away and wrote a full treatise, hope you don't find it too boring, as you can see the topic really grabs my attention \:\)

Ciao,
nibbio

Last edited by nibbio; 04/21/08 12:45 PM.
#2498456 - 04/21/08 02:00 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: nibbio]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
I have some pretty good news to report...

Since I started, I have lost 12.2 lbs.

I bought the Bowflex 552 dumbells and the Bowflex Ultimate (although the ultimate I am STILL putting together, 4 days after I recieved it), and I am using the dumbells.

Cancelled my gym membership. Waste of $108 a month if I am not going to go.

Body fat is down 7%.

Water is down 6%.

Stopped the Nutrisystem Diet (it was good, but I think I can do better on my own), and have transitioned to a more natural whole foods diet.

I am eating about 70% less red meat, and I am eating a lot more veggies, fruit, and chicken and fish.

My portion sizes are about 1/2 what they used to be, and I am reducing them even further as I go along.

I drink A LOT of water.

I have not been on the new bike yet, but I am looking forward to it if a few weeks.

So overall, some very good news, and some very good progress after a slow and disappointing start.

-Skater

#2498670 - 04/21/08 07:10 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: Skater]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
I forgot to add... I have lost 2 inches in my waist, and my pants are starting to be too big.

Cool.

\:\)

-Skater

#2498839 - 04/21/08 11:21 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: Skater]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Yeah..great stuff Skater! I'm down around 196 right now..so I've lost 11 pounds. My pants are definitely loose. At the same time I can definitely fell my muscles bulking up..a good thing. I have 7 nights of night shift coming on starting tonight..those are always hard to keep myself from munching. Have eaten a lot of fresh fruits and small snacks though instead of going overboard. Lots of water here too.. I'd also recommend, Skater, that you take a multi-vitamin each day. Probably a good idea. I also take glucosamine/chondroitin under the premise that it helps joints. I'm not a big "supplements" guy..but I'm trying to keep my knee joints as healthy as possible since I'm such a big fan of hiking.

Thanks for the detailed post nibbio. I guess I'm not straining any muscles really, I'm rarely sore after working..just tired. Which is fine I suppose because I don't want to bulk up..I just want to become more lean. So I tend to do more reps and less weight. I never do weights to the point of muscle fatigue where you can't lift any more..I think I recall that was how you bulk up..take them to the point of failure.

BeachAV8R

#2500464 - 04/23/08 09:56 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Alright...it has been 3 weeks now since the start..and I'm seeing definite progress. Like I said, the first 10 pounds was easy. Each pound now is a bit harder though..but I figure that is being offset by gains in lean muscle (which weighs more). The diet is still going quite well..I'm eating less and eating healthy. As you can see my fat% is down to 17.2% now. 10 years ago, when I was in as good a shape as I can remember, I was 178 pounds and 13% body fat. That was back when I was windsurfing several times a week and playing lots of tennis. I'm hoping to get back to that form. We'll see.. \:D Gotta squeeze in a workout this afternoon...

• March 30 (Day 1) = 207.6 / 23.1%
  • March 31 (Day 2) = 205.6 / 22.4%
  • April 1 (Day 3) = 203.6 / 22.5%
  • April 2 (Day 4) = 202.6 / 19.9%
  • April 3 (Day 5) = 200.0 / 19.2%
  • April 4 (Day 6) = 201.1 / 20.0%
  • April 5 (Day 7) = 199.0 / 19.1%
  • April 6 (Day 8) = 199.0 / 20.0%
  • April 7 (Day 9) = 200.1 / 19.7%
  • April 8 (Day 10) = 200.4 / 18.2%
  • April 9 (Day 11) = 201.0 / 19.0%
  • April 10 (Day 12) = 200.6 / 17.6%
  • April 11 (Day 13) = 201.2 / 16.8%
  • April 12 (Day 14) = 199.0 / 18.0%
  • April 13 (Day 15) = 197.2 / 18.8%
  • April 14 (Day 16) = 196.6 / 18.1%
  • April 15 (Day 17) = 196.6 / 18.1%
  • April 16 (Day 18) = 197.2 / 18.4%
  • April 17 (Day 19) = 197.6 / 18.4%
  • April 18 (Day 20) = 197.4 / 17.6%
  • April 19 (Day 21) = 197.4 / 17.6%
  • April 20 (Day 22) = 195.6 / 17.9%
  • April 21 (Day 23) = 196.2 / 17.2%

BeachAV8R

#2502459 - 04/26/08 02:29 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
bahh a whole loada crap those diets are.

i'll tell ya what. i am drunk as a skunk and in japan. i've lost 5 damn kg since i came here a month ago. that's 11 pounds. I HAVENT EVEN BEEN TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT! mind you i was overweight before. but i just didn't care. now my damned pants don't fit anymore, my belt buckle is 2 notches tighter than i used to wear it. my pants are such a loose fit now that i can fit both hands edgewise between my gut and the pants. i'd hazard a guess i've dropped around 2 or 4 sizes in the space of a month. and let me tell you i've drunk my arse off each and every day since i've been here, i will let no one challenge my daily drunkenness!! i'm drunk as i type this and i fully intend on remaining that way until i pass out.

moral of the story. if you want to lose weight, come to japan!

#2502709 - 04/26/08 10:28 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Groove Offline
Groove  Offline

Guys im joining you! With the help of Wii Fit i`ll burn my punds. \:D

#2503694 - 04/28/08 01:20 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: Groove]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
down another kg, that's 83 kg and counting damn you! and i'm still drunk!

#2506073 - 05/01/08 06:19 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
hit 82 kg today!

#2508064 - 05/05/08 02:55 AM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
\:D What the hell is a "kg" anyway??! ;\)

I'm still leaning down. I went to the beach last weekend and spend some quality time windsurfing and kayaking. I've been eating so much salmon that I'm probably at risk for mercury poisoning now.

I haven't weighed myself in a few days though, so there will be a small gap in my weigh-in results. I'm still working out too - and am noticing an improvement in the amount of weight I can put on the machine and overall ease of the workout. The only drawback is that I think I tweaked something in my lower back windsurfing last weekend. I really should have stretched before taking that first run...doh!

I'll post up some weights tomorrow though. Hopefully the trend is still going down. Actually, I don't care if I stay where I'm at weight-wise so long as the body fat continues to decrease. I'd be happy to be 6' 2" - 190 lbs. and have 11 or 12% body fat. We'll see..

#2508359 - 05/05/08 03:42 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
FishTaco Offline
Forever Cromulent
FishTaco  Offline
Forever Cromulent

Perth, Western Australia
Not sure what's been happening to me......

I seem to be putting weight ON...lol

Warming up with a 50Km bike ride, benching 90kgs, 7 sets of ten reps, and going mental on the punch / kick bags, just don't seem to make any sense to me. Off to see the doctor this week and try to find out what my metabolism is up to.

Kindest regards,

AJ

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, your victory will not stand in doubt; if you know Heaven and know Earth, you may make your victory complete." - The Art of War - Sun Tzu
#2508555 - 05/05/08 09:08 PM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: FishTaco]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
fishtaco you're probably converting your protein intake into muscle while burning the fat off, or you may be gaining water weight.

check your diet and consider cutting or reducing certain things like carbohydrates until you achieve your desired weight or size then make a balanced diet plan that will let you eat what you want and keep your weight in check.

fyi i'm down to 81kg now (178lbs). i want to hit 165 or 160. that may take a while as i can feel my progress slowing slightly.i also don't want to buy new clothes.

#2509503 - 05/07/08 08:46 AM Re: The OFFICIAL SimHQ weight loss thread... [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
imaca Offline
imaca  Offline

BeachAV8R,
you need some kind of exercise you can incorporate into your daily life - most people just don't have the willpower to keep up going to the gym. So your real options are cycling gardening or walking - these are statisticly pretty much the only forms of exercise that you are likely to keep up.
There is a lot of new research on the effect of eating habits on body fat - search the net for reliable science: eg newscientist.com, American Institute for Cancer Research(www.aicr.org)

For example the effect of triglicerides.
This comes from "bad" fat - a high level of blood triglicerides blocks the action of leptin.
(Leptin controls fat deposits,So eating "healthy fats" (oily fish , nuts, advocados etc) and reducing unhealthy fats, especially trans-fats (processed foods, margarine etc), will help stop fat deposits from forming and as a bonus reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes.

Also beware of artificial sweeteners. The brain has an inbuilt mechanism which is able to regulate intake by relating it to the sweetness of foods consumed, but eating artificial sweeteners totally screws the system and convinces your brain that all sweet foods contain less calories, and so makes you eat more food. A recent experiments on rats have shown weight gain compared to a control just by giving them artificial sweeteners.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.