Hop To
#2502924 - 04/27/08 08:11 AM My Kid is Better than Yours  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Not really but do you ever have those days when you are just so proud of your kid. I had one of those today.

We love to brag about everything, how about our kids.

My son is a big baseball fanatic. Loves playing the game and is pretty good at it too. At 10 he is probably one of the best on

He was pitching today as a reliever. The kid that was on before did a good job, going two strong innings but he started to tire out in the third. He walked a couple and a kid hit a triple to bring home two runs. He then threw a wild pitch that brought home another kid. The score was 5-3 at that point then he got completely frustrated and walked the next two kids.

Well at that point the manager, Rick decided he might have to make a change. Daniel was sitting on the bench during the inning (in Pony League usually the kids sit for one inning or so to allow all the kids the opportunity to play) and Rick told him to start warming up.

After another walk Rick called Daniel in.

Daniel was jazzed, he is the kind of kid that looks forward to these kinds of situations. Some kids shy away from pressure, he loves it.

The first pitcher wasn't bad, got the ball over the plate normally but the kids were starting to figure out his speed. Basees loaded, no one out, game possibly getting out of reach. The top of their order was coming to bat as well. These kids hit the first pitcher but hit it right at our kids. I know they were excited at getting another crack up there.

Daniel struck the first kid out on three pitches. I mean the kid stood there and looked at the first two and then swung pathetically at the last one. The second kid managed to hit one off to the right then struck out on the next two pitches. The third kid took Daniel five pitches to strike out.

Coming off the mound you could see Daniel was just psyched. The next inning he put the next three kids down in order. By that time our bats came alive and we scored eight more runs. If you are up by 10 or more runs at the end of the fourth inning then they call the game (10 run rule). Daniel added a single and a triple in that game as well.

I am just so happy that he is playing so well. This is a kid that does nothing but eat, sleep and drink football almost every day. The first thing he does is hit the sports scores to see his favorate teams' scores. He takes his play very seriously and practices daily. I have supported him in this because it seems to be a true passion of his and I like to encourage that. His grades are above average, quite good actually so I have never had to worry about that aspect. He keeps saying he is going to play pro ball and until tonight I honestly thought that maybe he would be good enough to maybe get a college scholarship but after today, and another game earlier this week where he was just as dominant, I am beginning to wonder.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2502929 - 04/27/08 08:36 AM Re: My Kid is Better than Yours [Re: Wklink]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Everyone's kids are better than mine.. \:D

Great story. I'm sure every parent just beams inside when their kids excel at sports or academics or art or whatever. Can't be much more fulfilling than that I'd imagine..

A reflection of great parenting too I would think..

BeachAV8R

#2502934 - 04/27/08 09:02 AM Re: My Kid is Better than Yours [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Mostly by the mother Beach.

Daniel has had this baseball 'thing' for quite a while. I've tried to encourage it without getting ridiculous with it. One thing that I have always hated is when a parent tries to live his or her youth again through the child. You know the types, the ones that are hypercritical of their kids and expect the child to be outstanding at all costs.

I told Danny about two years ago (when all he would talk about was becoming a big league player) that if he really wanted to do this then I would do all I could to help him. We have a batting cage with a Juggs pitching machine (thank God for craigslist, I would never be able to afford one otherwise), we have sent him to camps and have even gotten him private instruction. This summer he is going to a baseball camp at Washington State.

At the same time I have also put standards on him. Bad grades, no play. His grades have to be As and Bs, no exceptions. There are enough dumb athletes in this world, the chances of him becoming a pro are slim to say the least but if he gets an education he can have a job in the sporting world for years to come. Likewise he has to be involved in other activities. He is a Boy Scout, is very involved in the church both in choir and in youth church events. I think a child needs to be raised intellectually, physically and spiritually and we both have tried very hard to do that.

What makes me happiest is watching him go out there and really enjoy what he is doing. He is performing well and pitches better than any 10 year old I have yet seen. His velocity is amazing. The kid can throw a strike from mid center field, someting I can't do now. I don't know, don't really care, if he ever goes beyond high school ball but I am glad to see him doing something that he loves and doing it well.

#2503342 - 04/27/08 10:31 PM Re: My Kid is Better than Yours [Re: Wklink]  
FishTaco Offline
Forever Cromulent
FishTaco  Offline
Forever Cromulent

Perth, Western Australia
LOL

Never said it, but often thought it. My eldest girl has a condition know as Aspergers (as do I) the upshot of which is she' rather smart. Was playing chess with me at 4, and now that she's 9, she's doing the math and science of a 13 year old, and the English of an 11 year old.

Kind of gotten used to going to the school for certificate presentations. At the end of last year, went to her school wind down, kids had a bit of a yarn about what they want to be when they grow up. Got all the usual stuff; little Johnny wants to be a fireman etc, then it's my girls turn, out comes" "I would like to be a Forensic Scientist". You could have heard a pin drop, because afterwards she told everybody what she has to study to get there!

And only last week, she completed her first belt in Wu Shu after three weeks of training!

Guess I know now who is going to be looking after me when I'm an old fart.......LMAO.

Kindest regards,

AJ

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, your victory will not stand in doubt; if you know Heaven and know Earth, you may make your victory complete." - The Art of War - Sun Tzu
#2503343 - 04/27/08 10:31 PM Re: My Kid is Better than Yours [Re: Wklink]  
FishTaco Offline
Forever Cromulent
FishTaco  Offline
Forever Cromulent

Perth, Western Australia
LOL

Never said it, but often thought it. My eldest girl has a condition know as Aspergers (as do I) the upshot of which is she' rather smart. Was playing chess with me at 4, and now that she's 9, she's doing the math and science of a 13 year old, and the English of an 11 year old.

Kind of gotten used to going to the school for certificate presentations. At the end of last year, went to her school wind down, kids had a bit of a yarn about what they want to be when they grow up. Got all the usual stuff; little Johnny wants to be a fireman etc, then it's my girls turn, out comes" "I would like to be a Forensic Scientist". You could have heard a pin drop, because afterwards she told everybody what she has to study to get there!

And only last week, she completed her first belt in Wu Shu after three weeks of training!

Guess I know now who is going to be looking after me when I'm an old fart.......LMAO.

Kindest regards,

AJ

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, your victory will not stand in doubt; if you know Heaven and know Earth, you may make your victory complete." - The Art of War - Sun Tzu
#2503382 - 04/28/08 12:04 AM Re: My Kid is Better than Yours [Re: FishTaco]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
The mother of my children says they are not mine and refuses to let me see them... but I am sure they are great... I mean, if they are mine.

#2503643 - 04/28/08 12:16 PM Re: My Kid is Better than Yours [Re: FishTaco]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
 Originally Posted By: FishTaco
LOL

I'd introduce them at 18 but that would be quite a flight. Then again a girl that can outsmart him and beat him up probably would be something of a downer for him. Danny got his blue belt in Tai Kwon Do but got bored with it (didn't like all the contact at the higher levels) so he dropped out. That's fine, I'm not one to force stuff on a kid. I figure if he asks to try something he will do it for the length of one season then he is off the hook.

Fish Taco. You originally from San Diego? I know they are popular here in the Seattle area but they are really popular down in San Diego. I really enjoy them but have to be in the right mood.

#2503646 - 04/28/08 12:20 PM Re: My Kid is Better than Yours [Re: Wklink]  
Lewis-A2A Offline
Tom Thumb
Lewis-A2A  Offline
Tom Thumb

Lowestoft - UK
Weres that Bill Bailey clip... \:D

Last edited by Lewis-Shockwave; 04/28/08 12:20 PM.
#2503669 - 04/28/08 12:48 PM Re: My Kid is Better than Yours [Re: Lewis-A2A]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
So many things over so many years.

My kids aren't kids anymore technically, although they'll always be kids to me. Both are on their own, making their way.

I guess what strikes me now is how proud I am of the people they have become. Not an event per se, but who they are. Their honesty, compassion, devotion to faith and hard work, appreciation of the things that are important in life. Their character.

After all these years, the good times and the bad, they are still my kids. I am proud and happy to know them.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2503888 - 04/28/08 06:13 PM Re: My Kid is Better than Yours [Re: 20mm]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Excellent. It feels great to see your child do well.

It's a crap shoot though. My wife & I have been together for over 30 years. Both of are "normal" folks who have decent jobs and go to church on Sunday. We have two "pretty much" adult offspring. Both raised the same way. One is doing OK and the other "might" stay out of jail...if he's lucky

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#2504004 - 04/28/08 09:05 PM Re: My Kid is Better than Yours [Re: Wklink]  
bubbazanetti Offline
bubbazanetti  Offline

Canada - Kootenays BC
Geez Tom ... I kinda feel sorry for your kid. Him havin to take up baseball and all just because his dad monopolizes the computer.

#2504261 - 04/29/08 06:18 AM Re: My Kid is Better than Yours [Re: bubbazanetti]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
He has his PSP, his Wii, and his PS2. We will be getting a PS3 with the LCD TV this fall so I can play blue ray movies. Every one of those games has an MLB game to go with it.

Trust me Bubba, he doesn't suffer.

BTW, will probably be coming up through Canada in May, maybe alone, maybe with the wife and kid. Should see about hooking up with you and Rick.

I'll be driving a 1962 Thunderbird, should kinda stick out.

#2516605 - 05/18/08 08:40 AM Re: My Kid is Better than Yours [Re: Wklink]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Update on my great kid.

Missed his Thursday game, turned out I am glad I did.

He hit four batters in a three inning span, the umpire accused him of throwing at kids. That is patently stupid to accuse him of that, he is only 10 for pete's sake but I was a little irritated the coach didn't pull him since it was obvious he was having control problems.

Didn't seem to faze him, he wants back out there to pitch.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.