Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2501864 - 04/25/08 04:53 PM Question Concerning Modern Day Sub Warfare Games?  
NightCrawler Offline
NightCrawler  Offline

San Antonio, Texas
Does anyone in this vast forum know if there is a "Modern Day" submarine warfare game in development somewhere? I have scowered the web a little and I see none, but there are always some unknown coming out with something that could actually be good.

I am looking for something in the realm of what Janes' 688i Hunter/Killer gave us. I loved that game, and spent many wasted hours tinkering with that game, along with it's somewhat sibling Sonalysts' Sub Command. I am a simple person that likes simple games and those were by far my favorite 2 of the 'Modern Era' sub warfare games. Don't get me wrong here, I love my Silent Hunter IV, but I somewhat yearn for something more up-to-date. I guess I could load them both back up and play them again. ;\)

But if anyone knows of someone that is developing this sort of game, please let me know! THANK YOU!

NightCrawler
"The Devil's Advocate!" smile
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2502219 - 04/26/08 01:57 AM Re: Question Concerning Modern Day Sub Warfare Games? [Re: NightCrawler]  
Coot Online content
Pilgrim
Coot  Online Content
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I was putsing around SUBSIM a ways back and think I saw a thread where someone was working on a modern submarine warfare mod using SHIII or SHIV. They had some pictures as well of subs already modeled. I'm sorry I don't know much about it though. I'm still looking forward to playing SHIV one of these days.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#2502516 - 04/26/08 04:43 PM Re: Question Concerning Modern Day Sub Warfare Games? [Re: Coot]  
DanP Offline
DanP  Offline

Dangerous Waters?

"Aim towards the Enemy" -- instruction printed on US rocket launcher.

101st Virtual Fighter Squadron
http://101vfs.ifschool.net
#2502936 - 04/27/08 09:15 AM Re: Question Concerning Modern Day Sub Warfare Games? [Re: DanP]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Dangerous Waters Nightcrawler, it is about two years old or something like that but it is the next generation of Sonalysts games.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#2503149 - 04/27/08 06:17 PM Re: Question Concerning Modern Day Sub Warfare Games? [Re: Wklink]  
NightCrawler Offline
NightCrawler  Offline

San Antonio, Texas
Taken From the Dangerous Waters Website:

"S.C.S. - Dangerous Waters will be the first title of its kind, allowing you total control over multiple air, surface, and submarine platforms in a modern-day naval environment! The game allows you to focus your attention and to take direct control of individual crew stations and also plan and execute combined arms naval strategies from a top-down 'Commander's Eye' perspective.

S.C.S. - Dangerous Waters allows you control of over 10 of the world's most potent naval units out of a total of more than 270 civilian and military surface, submarine, and air units included in the game."

Dangerous Waters is and was a "Complete" Naval Warfare Game that gave you control over multiple ships, along with the Submarine Force. The game is a way much more defined version of Janes' Fleet Command, for which I know they developed as well. I played Fleet Command and had fun with it, but for some reason the game even today, keeps locking up on me for which I have to do that dreaded ctrl-alt-del thing. I have even tried that install mod that came out that supposed to fix that, and for me it did not, so I had to shelve the game.

But what I am looking for is a "pure & dedicated" Attack/Missile/Covert Submarine Warfare game on the same level like Janes' 688i Hunter/Killer and Sub Command were. They were both "dedicated", which dedicated means primarily a sub warfare game, and they were terribly enjoying and relaxing to play. I was just wondering if another company or developer was planning on putting out something like those games which would take advantage of todays graphic technology. With DX10 around now, the graphics on that sort of game would be "killer".

Thanks ALL

NightCrawler
#2503471 - 04/28/08 03:29 AM Re: Question Concerning Modern Day Sub Warfare Games? [Re: NightCrawler]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
You can play the game as simply a sub skipper if I remember correctly. The game was build on the back of those other two games.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#2507783 - 05/04/08 04:19 PM Re: Question Concerning Modern Day Sub Warfare Games? [Re: Wklink]  
sonarman Offline
sonarman  Offline

Ayr, Scotland UK
Yes, Tom is right DW is really the sequel to 688/Sub Command it really is not like Fleet Command at all. It is definitely much more of a simulation than than the RTS style play of Fleet Command.

Sonalyts description above is a bit misleading... "allowing you total control over multiple air, surface, and submarine platforms in a modern-day naval environment!"

Whilst it is true there are multiple units in the game you only command one unit at a time per game, sim style as in 688/SC (at the same level of "simulation depth" as those games) not multiple units and you can not jump between different units The only time you control more than one unit is the frigate/heli combo and then it's only by remote control via ASTAC

DW is definitely what you are looking for judging by your description although the graphics are not quite DX10. A Demo is available , but the whole game is now very inexpensive and definitely worth buying. I think some printed manuals are still available via Neal at Subsim.com they are definitely worth getting as they are huge!

The multiplayer though little used sounds great too, as apparently different players can man individual stations on board the same sub something simmers have long requested.

I think realistically DW may be the last modern subsim as it didn't sell very well for Sonalyts (despite their heroic attempts at marketing it) and things have gone very quiet from them recently.

Whilst some at Subsim wish for a modern Subsim from Ubi the ground swell currently is more in favour of a WWII surface sim sequel in the mould of "Destroyer Command" or the even more popular old Microprose classic "Task Force 1942" which also let players command cruisers and battleships.

Last edited by sonarman; 05/04/08 04:41 PM.
#2508430 - 05/05/08 05:42 PM Re: Question Concerning Modern Day Sub Warfare Games? [Re: sonarman]  
OneShot Offline
OneShot  Offline

Germany
As far as DW goes ... try the FAQ here or the Wiki (which has a more actual FAQ) and dedicated DW Forum here and here.

As Sonarman already pointed out, DW is currently (aside from its predecessors 688/SC) the only commercial modern tactical subsim in town. However the future is brigthening up as there is currently a modern subsim in development. Read all about the Community SubSim here.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,
OneShot
#2508636 - 05/05/08 11:32 PM Re: Question Concerning Modern Day Sub Warfare Games? [Re: OneShot]  
NightCrawler Offline
NightCrawler  Offline

San Antonio, Texas
Thanks for the links there OneShot! \:\) I will be watching the forums there.

NightCrawler

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.