Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2482016 - 03/29/08 09:15 PM Huh?  
the village idiot Offline
the village idiot  Offline

I asked in a previous post for a mirror to phase2 but then decided to try phase2 again from the official site and am greeted by this.

PREVIOUS PHASE 2 WEBSITE AND DOWNLOADS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE

PLEASE DO NOT HOST OUR FILES ON OTHER SITES
- THIS IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT and COPYRIGHT OBD SOFTWARE -

I am SOL to get phase2 now? How can you copyright software that is a mod of a game engine that is not yours to begin with? Did you pay Microsoft a license fee?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2482398 - 03/30/08 12:20 PM Re: Huh? [Re: the village idiot]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
I'm sure they copyrighted Phase 2, not CFS, you fool.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#2482595 - 03/30/08 05:47 PM Re: Huh? [Re: Plainsman]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

ALL our work is copyright we made it.. we can do what we want with that - thanks for your concern though!

For example the 5GB ! of new skins WW1 aircraft artwork textures/skins the guys made from scratch over 4 years are ours! , all the WW1 models craft, scenery, objects, full OFF campaign Manager all written from scratch etc. YOU install CFS3 and OFF pulls in files from there, plus adds OUR files.

Microsoft Combat Flight Sim 3 is copyright Microsoft, as we point out, and you are required to PURCHASE that from MICROSOFT first in order to then add OFF Phase 2 (and in also true of Phase 3 when available).

As I said in another thread, request a DVD from some kind person in our forum, but with that attitude you may have trouble.

Last edited by Polovski; 03/30/08 05:48 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#2482708 - 03/30/08 08:51 PM Re: Huh? [Re: Plainsman]  

Originally Posted By: Plainsman
I'm sure they copyrighted Phase 2, not CFS, you fool.

Did I say that, idiot?

The point I am making, that is completely lost on you, is that they are charging for a modification that uses another company's graphics engine and simulation engine. I simply asked if they had to pay Microsoft to have the right to make a commercial product out of their game.

#2482711 - 03/30/08 08:58 PM Re: Huh? [Re: Polovski]  

Originally Posted By: Polovski
ALL our work is copyright we made it.. we can do what we want with that - thanks for your concern though!

No you didn't. You used someone else's work as the base for your mod and you did not pay them to be allowed to do so. If the mod is free that is one thing but if you are making it into a commercial product without getting a license or permission from Microsoft to do so then that is another thing. Many games I have bought say in the license agreement that you can not charge for modifications unless you have their permission. So, do you? Or perhaps Microsoft don't care that you make money off their product? I don't know and am just asking so cut the hostile attitude.

Now I see how things really are. Phase1 and 2 were just public beta tests to help prepare you for a commercial product.

#2483447 - 03/31/08 02:38 PM Re: Huh? [Re: the village idiot]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Lol Ferrick,

"No you didn't."

Yes we did. Gawd this is fun eh?

Textures or parts we need to use we pull in from YOUR legal MS install. i.e we do not modify them.
(not many of those left anyway lol!)

If I made a WW1 craft from scratch (ie. starting from a blank page) that's mine not yours, not MS's.

If someone makes a skin from scratch, not using any previous skin layout or texture, it's his. if you don't get that then I can;t make it any clearer sorry.

There are many commercial programs for CFS3, top of my head Firepower, payware model downloads etc...

You obviously have decided already what you want to believe so that's fine no point discussing the ins and outs. I suggest you don't buy it as you don't agree.

Last edited by Polovski; 03/31/08 03:13 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#2483458 - 03/31/08 02:46 PM Re: Huh? [Re: the village idiot]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
 Originally Posted By: Ferrick
 Originally Posted By: Polovski

No you didn't. You used someone else's work as the base for your mod and you did not pay them to be allowed to do so. If the mod is free that is one thing but if you are making it into a commercial product without getting a license or permission from Microsoft to do so then that is another thing. Many games I have bought say in the license agreement that you can not charge for modifications unless you have their permission. So, do you? Or perhaps Microsoft don't care that you make money off their product? I don't know and am just asking so cut the hostile attitude.

Now I see how things really are. Phase1 and 2 were just public beta tests to help prepare you for a commercial product.

Yes you are too clever for us - we never made P1 nor P2 nor did we give it away and support it for 4 years with our own free time/family time etc.

Neither did we make P3 - we used industrial machines and held them to ransom.

Yes P1 and P2 were simply beta tests that we gave away to thousands of very satisfied users so that we could eventually force them into buying Phase 3, become millionaires and retire.

So far the plan is working but some clever folks like yourself are just too smart for us.

Of course you could elect not to buy P3 and I promise we wont tell MS.

Damn

WM

Gee just thought - you aren't a troll are you - cos thats not nice!

Last edited by Winding Man; 03/31/08 02:55 PM.

OBD Software
#2483664 - 03/31/08 05:37 PM Re: Huh? [Re: the village idiot]  
otterspotter Offline
otterspotter  Offline

Oh, this is good!

And you surmied this based on... Oh, right, you pulled it out of your patootie! As a happy user of both Phases 1 and 2, I can assure you that there was nothing 'beta' about either. Simply one of the best sim addons out there, if not the best. CFS3 was just a coaster to me before I loaded OFF. What Winding Man and his team managed to do with CFS3 is amazing. The atmosphere of the sim is so great, the graphics so gorgeous, that I didn't mind the non-accelerated flights to the frontline (still haven't done the warp tweak), getting my behind chewed by AA or enemy fighters, and praying to be able to get home in one piece. I will be purchasing Phase 3 for sure; Phase 2 could easily have been payware already.

#2483738 - 03/31/08 06:38 PM Re: Huh? [Re: otterspotter]  

Phase1 was very beta and I can't try Phase2 because they have made it unavailable for download.

All those companies that make pay-ware add-ons for Microsoft sims pay Microsoft a license fee to be able to do so and don't just create add-ons and charge for them. This is the point I am getting at that you guys are not getting. If anyone can do that then perhaps I should go make a 3D model with textures for one of TK's sims and start charging for it. I know some people do that anyway but many games actually state in the license that it is not allowed. You guys are missing the whole concept of the modding scene. It's like OpenSource software, there is a mandate in OPenSource software that it is free and always will be free because it is about the sharing of ideas and benefiting all and not just for people with money that can afford it. Good luck on your conversion mod but I don't pay for mods and never will.

#2483821 - 03/31/08 08:02 PM Re: Huh? [Re: the village idiot]  
Vince H Offline
Vince H  Offline

Columbus, OH by way of Aiken, ...
Ahhh...Ferrick...another candidate for the Moronic Society. But, I'm afraid they would probably reject him.

Vince

#2483865 - 03/31/08 09:08 PM Re: Huh? [Re: the village idiot]  
otterspotter Offline
otterspotter  Offline

Oh, sweet Geez, and it's getting even better!

Phase1 was very beta

Well, if Phase1 was beta, so was CFS3 itself.

All those companies that make pay-ware add-ons for Microsoft sims pay Microsoft a license fee to be able to do so and don't just create add-ons and charge for them.

So, you know the legal status of OFF Team's project and its licensing based on what? And because of the way you started this thread I wouldn't blame them for not feeling inclined they need to prove anything here.

You guys are missing the whole concept of the modding scene. It's like OpenSource software, there is a mandate in OPenSource software that it is free and always will be free because it is about the sharing of ideas and benefiting all and not just for people with money that can afford it.

Oh, this is rich. So, you're one of those so very familiar with "the modding scene," huh? Which one? If you ever cared to look at other sims out there, particularly MS, but not only, you'd find out that the OFF Team follows the path of quite a few other well-established payware add-on makers: produce some highly-acclaimed freeware, prove your mettle, and once you have enough of a following, up the ante and start charging for it. Despite your cries for free stuff (what do you call those people, free-loaders?), there's plenty of people out there willing to pay for quality product (especially in the niche market of simulations where the volumes, be it for base software or add-ons, will never match any of the mainstream game titles), not to mention that the makers of such products deserve to get paid for all their time and skill.

#2483949 - 03/31/08 11:06 PM Re: Huh? [Re: the village idiot]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

naa it's not worth posting.. if it bugs you please do not buy Phase 3

I did say you can still get Phase 2 on DVD but you didn't want to do that so sorry -tough!

Last edited by Polovski; 03/31/08 11:19 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#2483964 - 03/31/08 11:23 PM Re: Huh? [Re: Vince H]  

Originally Posted By: Vince H
Ahhh...Ferrick...another candidate for the Moronic Society. But, I'm afraid they would probably reject him.

Vince

I'm already a member of Mensa so don't want to join any other groups. Thanks for the invite to your own group though.

#2483966 - 03/31/08 11:26 PM Re: Huh? [Re: otterspotter]  

Originally Posted By: otterspotter

So, you know the legal status of OFF Team's project and its licensing based on what?

Um, I *asked* and didn't state. There is a difference. I want to know their status so I know if I should rat them out to Microsoft or not for brownie points.

And some of those other pay-for mods have been lambasted far worse than I am doing here. Especially the mods that have taken other's free work and used it in their own mods and then charged money for them. I point you to the Silent Hunter community for evidence of that. The people who do F4.0 Allied Force and EECH2 actually paid for the original license code to do be able to re-sell the game with their mods. I doubt the OFF people did the same and that is where I have an issue. If they did pay for a license or have Microsoft's permission then they can easily put this to rest by just saying so.

#2484056 - 04/01/08 01:19 AM Re: Huh? [Re: the village idiot]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
Good luck on your conversion mod but I don't pay for mods and never will.

Uh...we don't care. Nice fantasy you have about Mensa. Mine is aobut skydiving.

Last edited by Plainsman; 04/01/08 01:20 AM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#2484082 - 04/01/08 02:13 AM Re: Huh? [Re: the village idiot]  
otterspotter Offline
otterspotter  Offline

Originally Posted By: otterspotter

So, you know the legal status of OFF Team's project and its licensing based on what?

Um, I *asked* and didn't state. There is a difference. I want to know their status so I know if I should rat them out to Microsoft or not for brownie points.

Even though you "only asked" and "didn't state," your entire rant is based on you insinuating that the OFF Team is going to charge for a mod they didn't pay a developer's license for and are supposed to. Or is the differnce between statement and insinuation lost on you, a Mensa member, fantasy or not?

Ok guys, this guy's obviously a troll, let's not feed him anymore.

#2484087 - 04/01/08 02:19 AM Re: Huh? [Re: Plainsman]  
Dantes Offline
Dantes  Offline

Toronto, Canada
Ferrick, if you were not able to download it when it was available for months you must have a slow connection. Since the idea of receiving it on DVD is a problem for you I guess your just being difficult for its own sake since you didn't get your way.

With the time you spent arguing here, you could have posted on the OFF forum and would have someone sending the DVD to you by now.

So stop making a fuss and go get it.

#2484170 - 04/01/08 04:47 AM Re: Huh? [Re: Dantes]  

I don't give out my home address online and that is why I won't order the DVD. I have broadband and not a slow connection at all. Their download server was just too slow for such a big download. They should have set up a mirror with FileFront.

#2484762 - 04/01/08 06:38 PM Re: Huh? [Re: the village idiot]  
Flying Hedman Offline
Flying Hedman  Offline

Mölnbo, Sweden
Did this bloke eat barb wire or rattlesnake (or both) for breakfast, or is he/she suffering from PMS? Big deal not beeing able to DL Ph2 when is been available for some years on the net!
Go back to your life man and leave our hard working friends alone!

#2484806 - 04/01/08 07:43 PM Re: Huh? [Re: Flying Hedman]  
bzhyoyo Offline
bzhyoyo  Offline

He's just pissed off he can't benefit from all your hard work for free. Tough #%&*$#, I say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.