Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2461521 - 03/03/08 09:32 PM Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how?  
II./JG1_Falke Offline
II./JG1_Falke  Offline

New York, U.S.A.
I've got my new PC up and running, though I'm still in the process of setting things up including getting FB installed.

One of the things I wanted to do was to run FB off one side of the core and the other core for my other programs. (Tir, Team Speak etc) I checked SimHQ's search engine for any "How To's" but didn't find anything. Can anyone here tell me how to set this up?

Note: Found one article which I saved a few months ago on how to do it, but I'm not getting the first part of the authors instructions. He has you DL a program called "prioaff.exe" but he doesn't tell you what to do with it or how it works. I DL'd it and ran the exe, but it doesn't seem to do anything or allow changes.

Thanks

Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body! Better to skid in sideways, cheesburger in one hand, martini in the other, body worn out, screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2461582 - 03/03/08 10:34 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: II./JG1_Falke]  
smoker Offline
smoker  Offline

This seems to be comprehensive http://il2.netteq.com/Muliti-Core_Guide.aspx

What I couldn't do with prioaff was set the il2 priority to High without it trying to set the Affinity which is already set in the conf.ini. Maybe someone could mod the provided prioaff source and recompile? The coding looks admirably simple.

smoker

Last edited by smoker; 03/03/08 10:37 PM.
#2461610 - 03/03/08 11:06 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: II./JG1_Falke]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
 Originally Posted By: II./JG1_Falke
I've got my new PC up and running, though I'm still in the process of setting things up including getting FB installed.

One of the things I wanted to do was to run FB off one side of the core and the other core for my other programs. (Tir, Team Speak etc) I checked SimHQ's search engine for any "How To's" but didn't find anything. Can anyone here tell me how to set this up?

Note: Found one article which I saved a few months ago on how to do it, but I'm not getting the first part of the authors instructions. He has you DL a program called "prioaff.exe" but he doesn't tell you what to do with it or how it works. I DL'd it and ran the exe, but it doesn't seem to do anything or allow changes.

Thanks

Assign IL2 to run on core 0
Use this application SMP seesaw Pro to isolate Il2 on core 0 (moves all other processes including system to core 1) You isolate Il2 on core 0 after launching the application and either before you get the splash screen or minimizing it once you do.

Play as normal.

On my setup assigning a priority higher than normal causes stutters because remember that your HOTAS is a separate application and if you have TIR, so is that. You can move TIR and HOTAS onto core 0 in order to insure that one core is dedicated to running every process related to IL2

SB

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#2461614 - 03/03/08 11:12 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: SkullBiscuit]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
i looked at this a while ago,has anyone actually found any sort of improvement in any way doing this ?

http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_software/SetAffinity/index.htm

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#2461616 - 03/03/08 11:20 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: Ajay]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
 Originally Posted By: Ajay
i looked at this a while ago,has anyone actually found any sort of improvement in any way doing this ?

http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_software/SetAffinity/index.htm

SMP seesaw pro does the same thing (though not as pretty of an interface) and more efficiently. With just a couple mouse clicks you move IL2 onto one (or more cores if you have a quad) and move everything else onto the remaining core(s).

SB

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#2461799 - 03/04/08 05:25 AM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: SkullBiscuit]  
Murph Offline
Murph  Offline

Aurora,CO,USA
It appears SMP seesaw does'nt work on quad CPUs- pity.

Intel i5 2500K CPU @4.0,Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 MB (turbo) GTX 1060 6G, 16G DDR3, Windows 10 Home 64 bit- "N�or bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
#2461844 - 03/04/08 08:09 AM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: Murph]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA

IL2 wasnt written for multicore technology was it?

MS FSX is a true multicore application and you can set affinities to match your number of cores and even set which cores to run it on. I believe I posted that in the FSX forum.

Unless an application is written to take advantage of multicore technology, there isnt much to gain in distributed processing other than sharing processing power for the other concurrent programs.

FalconAF is another example of a flight sim that does take advantage of multicore technology, but it seems to only get about 15% increase in FPS no matter how many cores are used above 2.

This link states is covers quadcores, but I havent tried it:
http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_software/Files/Set_Affinity_v1.002a.zip

AV8R
#2461854 - 03/04/08 09:46 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: Murph]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
 Originally Posted By: Murph
It appears SMP seesaw does'nt work on quad CPUs- pity.

You need to use SMP seesaw PRO When I bring mine up it recognizes that I have two cores and there is greyed out provisions for 30 more. By right clicking and getting Move to or Isolate on it should reveal how may cores it recognizes. You can see that the application is provisioned to goto 32 cores.

SB

Last edited by SkullBiscuit; 03/04/08 11:07 PM.

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#2461864 - 03/04/08 09:53 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: AV8R]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
 Originally Posted By: AV8R

IL2 wasnt written for multicore technology was it?

I believe that is true, even though you can set process affinity within the configuration file for IL2. When I have tried to spread IL2 among two cores I have gotten micro stutters. By moving IL2 to one core and everything else to the second (or other three if you have quad). I have been able to largely eliminate micro stutters (driver changes introducing another point for stutters is a separate issue)

IL2 is multi-threaded. You can see by running process explorer that it can have up to 16 threads. But it seems having these threads parsed out among more than one core introduces micro stutters. Increasing priority might resolve this but then you need to insure that other complimentary programs such as your HOTAS and TIR also get the priority boost equal to what you gave IL2

SB

Last edited by SkullBiscuit; 03/04/08 10:18 PM.

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#2461913 - 03/04/08 10:55 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: SkullBiscuit]  
Tolwyn Offline
Tolwyn  Offline

WA, United States
IL2 is a single-core affinity program only.

No benefit. Might even perform worse.

My personal licensing agreement: In exchange for my hard-earned cash for your product, you agree to the following terms: No part of my hardware may be used as a mechanism to verify or reverify my economical patronage. My receipt will serve that purpose. If you disagree with this license, you may return my money to me, and I'll return your product. \:\)
#2462704 - 03/05/08 09:32 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: Tolwyn]  
X_MAN Offline
Hotshot
X_MAN  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA, The United States...
 Originally Posted By: Tolwyn

I second that It is a waste of time.

C.O. No 91 'Nigeria' Squadron
#2462709 - 03/05/08 09:44 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: X_MAN]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
 Originally Posted By: X_MAN

I second that It is a waste of time.

I disagree. Though it is single core affinity, moving it and related processes to one core while moving everything else to the remaining core(s) preempts the possibility of thread competition for CPU time.

SB

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#2463424 - 03/06/08 04:31 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: SkullBiscuit]  
Tolwyn Offline
Tolwyn  Offline

WA, United States
I suppose if you're usually playing IL2 with Word, Excel, Firefox, 20+ services running, and a few other programs it might run better if you offload those things running in the background that shouldn't be running anyway to the other core. ;\)

My personal licensing agreement: In exchange for my hard-earned cash for your product, you agree to the following terms: No part of my hardware may be used as a mechanism to verify or reverify my economical patronage. My receipt will serve that purpose. If you disagree with this license, you may return my money to me, and I'll return your product. \:\)
#2463526 - 03/06/08 06:15 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: Tolwyn]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
I suppose if you're usually playing IL2 with Word, Excel, Firefox, 20+ services running, and a few other programs it might run better if you offload those things running in the background that shouldn't be running anyway to the other core. ;\)

Won't give in....will ya? \:\)

Try shutting down windows core services or if you have Vista the notorious search indexer which will respawn itself even if you kill the process. Move IL2 to one core with your HOTAS and TIR (if you have it) and then the only reason you will get stutters after that is you have a funky graphics driver or you have the settings too high for your particular graphics card.

Of course....I could be making this all up \:D In which case the scene from "Little Big Man" comes to mind where Dustin Hoffman's character says to General George Armstrong Custer...as Custer contemplates whether or not the "mule skinner" is lying in order to stop him from going down into the Medicine Tail Coulee.

"General!....you go on down there.....but you're not going to find a bunch of old men and squaws like you did at the Washita River.....but 10,000 Cheyenne and Sioux Braves.......you go on down there General.....if you got the guts."

And of course we all know what happened next

SB

Last edited by SkullBiscuit; 03/06/08 07:48 PM.

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#2463573 - 03/06/08 07:26 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: SkullBiscuit]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
if you're usually playing IL2 with Word, Excel, Firefox, 20+ services running, and a few other programs

Tolwyn was being polite.

If you're doing that while flying Il-2 you shouldn't be allowed to own a dual core CPU and there will be an inspection later

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2463715 - 03/06/08 10:21 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
Tolwyn Offline
Tolwyn  Offline

WA, United States
No, I won't give in. I never apologize for being right.

#2464475 - 03/08/08 12:45 AM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: Tolwyn]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
So if that is the case then how come:

I noticed that when I set my ProcessAffinity to 1 I get lock ups when the sim loads to the main screen ... and with PA=2 I do not.. however... with PA=1 I also get:

Note AVG fps of 85...

and with PA=2 I get:

Note AVG fps of 32

Ignore the black bar.. (I think it is because I have my NV set for split frame rendering) that was a screen glitch when I hit PRNT SCR and doesn't show up in the sim when flying.

I would at least like to find a happy medium between the two. The low frames happen no matter which core I isolate the FB.exe to using SMP SeeSaw

It seems as if the deciding factor is where I set the PA in the sim.

This:
- ProcessAffinityMask=0 or ; il uses CPU
- ProcessAffinityMask=1 - IL uses CPU0 exlusively
- ProcessAffinityMask=2 - IL uses CPU1 exclusively
- ProcessAffinityMask=3 - IL uses all CPUs

..is my understanding of how the Process Affinity works in the sim... is that correct? Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue? Or can explain it to me in a way I can wrap my head around it?

This is from another post @ UBI tech.. Now the thing with nmy issue is that when I have the PA set to 1 I get the great frames.. just the lockup on load @ 4 times out of 7... which of course is a drag.. but the smoothness...

When I go to PA 0 or 2 I get the lower frames and microstutters.... So there is something to that PA setting.. I just dont get it.. BTW.. I am running an Fx-60 with a 7950GX2 on 4G or DDR400. No OC..

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#2464779 - 03/08/08 01:48 PM Re: Setting up a Duo Core for FB. Anyone know how? [Re: Bearcat99]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
 Originally Posted By: Bearcat99

When I go to PA 0 or 2 I get the lower frames and microstutters.... So there is something to that PA setting.. I just dont get it.. BTW.. I am running an Fx-60 with a 7950GX2 on 4G or DDR400. No OC..

1. Remember to use SMP SeeSaw PRO....use the Pro version because it will move all other processes except the ones you specify to the "other" core.
2. I think you have the affinity settings for IL2 wrong above (from within the config.ini file). you can only specify 0, 1, or 2 for --- I think 0 = use core 0, 1 = user core 1, 2 = use both cores
3. You can find out what is going on regarding core assignment by using Process Explorer. Use this by minimizing to desktop after you have launched IL2 AND used SMP Seesaw PRO to ISOLATE IL2 to one core (I assign to core 0 by that act you move all other processes to core 1). Then you can move selective processes such as TIR and HOTAS back to core 0 so that now you have IL2, TIR, and HOTAS on core 0 and ALL OTHER processes on core 1.
4 Use process explorer to verify by right clicking on a process within that window (or setting up the display to show your process affinity for all running processes)

As another step --- check your settings within the Nvidia control applet. I do not think IL2 likes GPU multi-threading (according to what I have read elsewhere)

If you are still getting stutters then it is GPU related. You have to adjust your GPU settings AND/OR your graphics settings in IL2 config.ini

Good Luck

SB

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.