Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2375746 - 11/10/07 10:24 PM Pedal pot wiring  
Sully Offline
Sully  Offline

PA USA
anyone know how to wire 2 separate pots on pedals to be on one axis instead of separate axis....I know you have +5 ,,input,,, and ground so do you run the inputs together or what?

Last edited by Sully; 11/10/07 10:25 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2375759 - 11/10/07 10:55 PM Re: Pedal pot wiring [Re: Sully]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
From some Racing Sim forum - Building your own weel:

Gameport version, for USB add Ground wire.

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 11/10/07 10:57 PM.
#2380444 - 11/16/07 09:28 PM Re: Pedal pot wiring [Re: Sully]  
BillChuck Offline
BillChuck  Offline

Originally Posted By: Sully
anyone know how to wire 2 separate pots on pedals to be on one axis instead of separate axis....I know you have +5 ,,input,,, and ground so do you run the inputs together or what?

I assume you're talking about a gas pedal and brake. Connect the high pole of one to the low pole of the other, and use the center poles to connect to your data cable. This way, pressing on one controller lowers the total resistance while pressing the other raises the resistance. Note that pressing both at the same time will cancel each other out.

#2380471 - 11/16/07 10:22 PM Re: Pedal pot wiring [Re: Sokol1]  
GlynD Offline
GlynD  Offline

Shropshire UK
Sokol

Once you've wired that up, would you add it as a "3-axis, 2-button joystick" manually into the Control Panel > Game Controllers?

What pots do they recommend - 10k, 100k etc?

That looks just too damn simple doesn't it, with all the gubbins that are inside of joysticks that I have seen the insides of! Suppose they need the chips and stuff in there to communicate with the PC and tell it what is plugged in...

I might even have a go at wiring one of those myself! Now where's that hacksaw, hammer and soldering iron got to?

Cheers

#2380536 - 11/16/07 11:56 PM Re: Pedal pot wiring [Re: GlynD]  
BillChuck Offline
BillChuck  Offline

Originally Posted By: GlynD
Sokol

Once you've wired that up, would you add it as a "3-axis, 2-button joystick" manually into the Control Panel > Game Controllers?

What pots do they recommend - 10k, 100k etc?

That looks just too damn simple doesn't it, with all the gubbins that are inside of joysticks that I have seen the insides of! Suppose they need the chips and stuff in there to communicate with the PC and tell it what is plugged in...

I might even have a go at wiring one of those myself! Now where's that hacksaw, hammer and soldering iron got to?

Cheers

You would add it as a 2 axis 2 button controller. Your game needs to allow a single controller for accelerator/brake, so that pushing forward on the controller means accelerate and pulling back means brake. IIRC, a 100kOhm pot is typical, but the gameport interface is pretty forgiving.

Simple gameport joysticks really are that easy. When you start messing with USB, it begins to get hairy.

#2382337 - 11/19/07 08:45 PM Re: Pedal pot wiring [Re: Sully]  
stelios Offline
stelios  Offline

i have got a Saitek R440 Force Feedback Wheel
Wheel and Pedal

and want to use only the pedal to the LOMAC. The problem is that it works only in one direction.
Anyway....
How can i make it to work alone as pedal and not as Wheel-pedal set ???
The pedals connects to the wheel with a wire -uses a RJ45 jack if memory serves me well- and another wire USB from the Wheel go to the PC's USB port.

Thanks in advance

Stelios From Greece

#2382645 - 11/20/07 09:01 AM Re: Pedal pot wiring [Re: stelios]  
jeroen Offline
jeroen  Offline

arnhem, netherlands
If you want to use just the pedals without the wheel then you must wire the pots of the pedals either to the gameport (using the schematic above) or to a USB controller. (either bought seperately like LBodnar's chip or removed from another gamecontroller)

If you don't intend to use the wheel at all then you could take the electronics out of it, put them in a box and then wire the pedal and some extra buttons to it.

If you want to keep the wheel intact then I wouldn't bother with using the pedals standalone at and just put the wheel out of the way while still connected to the computer and pedals.
Does the Saitek software have the option to use the pedals as a combined axis?

2147483647 angels can dance on the point of a needle.
Add one and they will all turn into devils.
#2383117 - 11/20/07 08:55 PM Re: Pedal pot wiring [Re: jeroen]  
stelios Offline
stelios  Offline

Originally Posted By: jeroen
If you want to use just the pedals without the wheel then you must wire the pots of the pedals either to the gameport (using the schematic above) or to a USB controller. (either bought seperately like LBodnar's chip or removed from another gamecontroller)

excuse me i didnt understand the second. How can i convert the RJ45 of the pedals to the USB controller?
To remove from a gamecontroller what?
I would prefer to connect it to USB and not to a gameport

thanks in advance

stelios

#2383312 - 11/21/07 01:11 AM Re: Pedal pot wiring [Re: stelios]  
Brandano Offline
Brandano  Offline

Caput Mundi (well, it used to ...
Ok, here's how you can make the pedals standalone:
Get a cheap USB joystick, there's some that will do perfectly for the scope and are less than 10 €
Get an RJ45 socket. You can find them as wall sockets, panel sockets... they aren't usually cheap though. If you have an old 10baseT card to scrap you might de-solder it from there.
find out exactly how the wiring of the pedals matches up with the pins on the RJ45 connector. I am assuming that the pedals are "dumb" and all the thinking is actually done by the wheelbase. Hoping that this is the case, plug the RJ45 connector into the socket, take a multimeter and start looking for pins that show a resistance between them. Once you found a pair, press the pedal and see if the resistance varies, shouldn't take too long. Once you found the two pedals you need, if you are lucky you might be able to wire them in series to behave like a single pot. However, they might well share a conductor, and that means either giving up or modifying the pedals. Open up the cheap joystick from above, find the pot you want to replace with rudders (usually the twist grip, but you can also use the X axis), cut the pot wires and wire the pins from the RJ45 socket in their place. Calibrate in control panel and you are set. If you already have a joystick with a twist grip you can just tap into that one, maybe using a couple of jumpers or a DPDT switch to switch between twist grip and rudder pedals. Personally I don't like a twist grip, as far as I know the only aircraft ever to use one is the now defunct RAH66 Comanche.

#2383554 - 11/21/07 11:05 AM Re: Pedal pot wiring [Re: Brandano]  
GrizzlyT Offline
GrizzlyT  Offline

Sterling Heights, Michigan
 Originally Posted By: Brandano
...Personally I don't like a twist grip, as far as I know the only aircraft ever to use one is the now defunct RAH66 Comanche.

I don't like them either.
I tried to create one, for my Comanche sim, and soon discovered a major difference!...
The Comanche's SAC controller uses pressure transducers (like a Falcon), for pitch, roll, and yaw. So the stick hardly moves.

Joysticks have way too much stick "stir". It makes trying to control the yaw/twist a carpel-tunnel inducing experience!

Maybe someday I'll pop for the mod, to re-fit my Cougar with transducers, and re-visit the whole twist idea.
For now, my anti-torque pedals will stay on the floor... Realism be damned! \:\)

Grizzly's Comanche Simulator
"Fear is the mind killer. - Frank Herbert"

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.