Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2370864 - 11/05/07 10:11 AM Future tac-sim: Ground Branch  
krise madsen Offline
krise madsen  Offline

Denmark
The intial thread seem to have been lost in the shuffle so I'll start again smile

A new tactical simulation first person shooter is in development: Ground Branch

The title refer to the main protagonists of the game: The clandestine, paramilitary wing of the US Central Intelligence Agency.

It takes place on Sumatra, where local guerillas, backed by Chinese oil interests, are trying to topple the local government, and the Ground Branch team is caught in the middle.

The game is being developed by BlackFoot Studios, an independent developer staffed with veterans from the original Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games.

The game is being developed for PC with an intended release date of late 2008. An XBOX 360 version is also planned, pending publisher agreement.

The game is being developed as a real tac-sim shooter (as opposed to the "military-themed action shooter"). And the key is their proprietary design methology: NORG (Natural Order of Realistic Gameplay), an entirely new approach to game design, specifically for realism-type games. Whereas the usual approach to game "realism" is to restrict the actions of the gamer (to avoid unrealistic behavior), NORG sets the gamer free to do as he/she pleases, but in an environment that reacts realitically to the actions of the player.

The game will be a squad-based shooter, with the characters primarily operating on foot in "medium"-sized maps. It has single player, co-op and adversarial multiplayer game types. The developer is exploring new methods for movement and firing weapons, notably to ensure a high degree of realism.

The motto of BlackFoot Studios is : "Do not build you community around a game, build your game around a community". This is practiced on a daily basis on the very lively forum. Where else can you talk directly to the CEO of a games developer? You can at the BlackFoot Studios forums. And if you have a good idea for a game feature, they'll listen. Several "ordinary" forum members have already contributed with ideas that will likely end up in the game.

Links:

The real Ground Branch

Synopsis

FAQ

There is also a number of "teaser" images and a highly informantive newsletter (2 issues so far). But to view those you have to register at the forum, which (of course) is free. I highly recommend you register, as the images and (in particular) the newsletters provide an excellent overview of the game.

I'll update this thread when new info becomes availible.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2371112 - 11/05/07 03:46 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: krise madsen]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I'm all for it.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#2423827 - 01/16/08 03:27 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: Jedi Master]  
krise madsen Offline
krise madsen  Offline

Denmark
Update:

The 3rd issue of the BlackFoot Studios/Ground Branch Newsletter is now availible. There is more on the storyline in the game as well as an interesting work-in-progress screenshow of how you peek around corners in the game (and it will be very, very cool in the game).

You are required to register on the forum in order to view the newsletter. Registering is of course free. This also gives you access to the forum where the developers take part in the lively discussion (where else does the CEO of a game developer post almost daily?). FYI, the hot forum topics right now includes discussions on how to increase randomness and replayability in single-player/co-op missions, how to make suppressive fire actually work in a multiplayer game, how to aim your weapons (on-screen crosshairs or weapons sights only), to what extent the AI teammates should have their own personalities and behavior, plus a lot more. And of course, the concept of NORG (Natural Order of Realistic Gameplay) is ever increasing in popularity.

Link: BlackFoot Studios

Respectfully

krise madsen

"crisis" is my middle name...
#2423878 - 01/16/08 05:26 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: krise madsen]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Ooooooh!

I was *just wondering* about Blackfoot Studios yesterday.
How cool is this?!

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#2426959 - 01/20/08 03:29 AM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Sumatra...jungles. That should be fun!

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#2427316 - 01/20/08 06:56 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: krise madsen]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Just registered and read the 3rd news letter. Very impressive work so far, looks like its coming along nicely. Does anyone who whant game engine they're going to use?

#2427949 - 01/21/08 03:28 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: Flogger23m]  
krise madsen Offline
krise madsen  Offline

Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
Just registered and read the 3rd news letter. Very impressive work so far, looks like its coming along nicely. Does anyone who whant game engine they're going to use?

Pretty cool huh?` ;\)

For legal reasons, the game engine a secret so far. It will probably be revealed when a publishing deal is announced. A good bet would be some well-known middle-ware engine. There have been a few confirmations on what engine it isn't : Unreal Engine 2.5 and Diesel (GRAW), plus a few others I forgot.

Respectfully

krise madsen

#2428011 - 01/21/08 05:27 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: krise madsen]  
ZJJ_ Offline
ZJJ_  Offline

Western North Carolina
I just wanted to stop in here and say "hi." I'm one of the admins at BlackFoot Studio forums. If I can be of any assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

We are hoping to be able to release the information about what engine we are using real soon. We are working on some major deadlines right now and when they are met, we should be able to discuss the engine and provide additional screenshots.

#2428354 - 01/22/08 03:28 AM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: ZJJ_]  
SpyDoc Offline
SpyDoc  Offline

Central USA
Sounds good to the rest of us who are watching...

SpyDoc out cool

My new DigitalStormOnline system:
i5-2500K--8GB Ram--AMD Radeon 6950
Win7--MOMO--MS FFB2--TIR5--27.5" Hanns-G
#2428723 - 01/22/08 04:06 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: SpyDoc]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Ok, cool. Of course, the only reason we really care about what engine is used is for modding purposes. Otherwise, if it looks great and works great, it could be on Orville Reddenbacher's Pop Engine for all we care. \:\)

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#2428751 - 01/22/08 04:42 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: Jedi Master]  
krise madsen Offline
krise madsen  Offline

Denmark
BlackFoot Studios are very pro-modding and alledgedly the game will be quite mod-friendly so that shouldn't be an issue. \:\)

Respectfully

krise madsen

#2428786 - 01/22/08 05:26 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: Jedi Master]  
ZJJ_ Offline
ZJJ_  Offline

Western North Carolina
 Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Ok, cool. Of course, the only reason we really care about what engine is used is for modding purposes.

As krise already mentioned, BFS will be providing modding capabilities to the community upon release of the game. With the long time success of GR due to the ability to mod the game, it would be like shooting ourselves in the foot if we didn't provide modding with Ground Branch.

#2429758 - 01/23/08 08:08 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: ZJJ_]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA

The Jedi Master

#2429764 - 01/23/08 08:19 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: Jedi Master]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Jedi,

You know that we will be getting this, regardless.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#2429775 - 01/23/08 08:30 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: Bill_Grant]  
ZJJ_ Offline
ZJJ_  Offline

Western North Carolina
I thought some of you may find this interesting.
 Originally Posted By: John Sonedecker
 Quote:
Here's my question: Will there be an animation for the reaction to the hit, the fall, and then the body becomes ragdoll just before it hits the ground, to make it form to terrain?

We have not investigated the full potential of the system yet, but we will most likely have death and hit reaction animations that blend in and out of ragdoll to get the effect we want. It will also most likely go to full ragdoll as it hits the ground to conform to the ground like you mentioned.

One really interesting aspect of this, though not tested by us yet, is that if you are shot when running we can get all kinds of ragdoll reactions to parts of the body, based on the specific hit location... but have the players movement still driven by the animation.

We will be using a combination of both ragdoll and animations. For instance, we can "pin" specific bones on a character while "releasing" others to ragdoll. So if you get shot in the left shoulder say, we can have the entire body controlled by animation except from the left Clavicle down the length of the left arm. That's a simplification because there would be blending going on so the arm doesn't just dangle, but I think you guys get the point.

Originally Posted By: John Sonedecker
 Quote:
Bring back the limp

Without a doubt!

"Ground Branch will have a limp!"

That would be worth it to a lot of people. lol

#2458465 - 02/28/08 04:53 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: ZJJ_]  
ZJJ_ Offline
ZJJ_  Offline

Western North Carolina
BlackFoot Studios has released it's 4th newsletter. Here is a snippet from the Q&A.

Quote:
Q: Are you aiming for customization or variety of weapons in the player's inventory?

A: Yes, we are aiming to have base weapons and various attachments to customize as you see fit. Each attachment will have tradeoffs and will have real effects in the game. Nothing is just for show.

Q: What goals are you aiming for with AI? What will be new?

A: To have really good AI! Really. AI is one of those things that I could spout off all kinds of industry buzz words, as everyone else does, but at the end of the day, it’s all the same. We want fully proactive, dynamic and reactive AI. There are also plans to include civilians where ever possible.

To see the entire newsletter, you need to log in (or register if you haven't yet) and click here.

#2477304 - 03/23/08 10:29 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: Jedi Master]  
ZJJ_ Offline
ZJJ_  Offline

Western North Carolina
This was recently stated by a member of the BFS forums and has John's response below.

Quote:
I and a lot of people I know DO NOT WANT 3RD PERSON VIEW in FPS GAMES
We DO NOT WANT joystick/joypad support in FPS and RTS games

- We do want respawn enabled in coop FPS games
- We do want STAND ALONE DEDICATED SERVER software that does not need high end graphics card
or physics drivers (when we dont have those cards)
- We do want coop single player story line mode wit EIGHT to 16 player support
(JO and DFX had 64 LAN coop)
- We do want to be able to play using at least a VGA selection of colors
we are STICK and appulaed with the LIMITED colors used in Vegas1 , Vegas 2 , GRAW 1 GRAW2
- We want option to DISABLE and TURN OFF , music , Blur , gloss ,reflections
- We want a way to LIMIT the server from HIGH PING players joining online and ruining
our low ping players game

You WON'T get 3rd person
You WILL get joystick/pad support on PC
You WILL get an option for some sort of respawn
You WILL get proper SADS that do not require high end stuff (physics drivers maybe.. just part of the software to)
You WILL get SP COOP story with AT LEAST 6 players
You WILL get a nice looking experience (All games run in 24bit color now btw...)
You WILL be able to turn off music, Blur, Bloom, Reflection and various other eye candy
You WILL be able to set options for the server to limit the criteria for joining

#2480578 - 03/27/08 11:37 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: ZJJ_]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I applaud your decision for gamepad/jstick support. I know some disabled gamers who cannot use mouse and kb only to play games, and must use a stick for everything. The option is what is important, just as designing it for gamepad use primarily is the common failing for most ports.

The Jedi Master

#2495387 - 04/16/08 03:15 PM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: Jedi Master]  
ZJJ_ Offline
ZJJ_  Offline

Western North Carolina
Newsletter #5 has been released. Here is a snippet from the Q&A.

Click here to read the find the full newsletter and discussion about it. \:D

Quote:
Q: In the GB damage model, is the Blackfoot Studios development team considering immediate effects/punishment when wounded, but also more diverse long-lasting effects depending on the severity and type of injury? Examples?

A: Yes! The primary example would be a limp or semi functional arm. We are also looking into bleeding out and the possible effects that might have.

Q: Will we see the poverty of the Sumatran locals to draw the gamer into the humanitarian side of Ground Branch? If yes how will this be portrayed?

A: You will see environments like that. We are not setting out to bring notice to humanitarian
issues in the world specifically, but if people take notice and have their emotions stirred by
parts of the game, then that is a good thing. We aim to make an engaging experience both
intellectually and emotionally.

#2506350 - 05/02/08 03:27 AM Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch [Re: ZJJ_]  
ZJJ_ Offline
ZJJ_  Offline

Western North Carolina
Grupo97 requested an interview from John. It's a spanish site so you can find the interview in English and Spanish.

English

Spanish

Enjoy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.