Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2326838 - 08/29/07 02:55 PM First Campaign  
Nano Offline
Nano  Offline

I have been through most of the training missions and ready for the next step. I rarely ever bolter while doing carrier landings. My refueling skills are decent. I was plannnig on doing the campaign Operation Persian Freedom. However, I read in a post somewhere that it is being repaired and has some minor problems. I also read this is one of the best campaigns. Is OPF playable, or should I try a different campaign? I could not find OPF at the TSH website. What other campaigns come highly regarded?

Nano

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2326947 - 08/29/07 05:21 PM Re: First Campaign [Re: Nano]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
If you're just starting out, I highly recommend the stock campaign to get a flavor of down and dirty Jane's F-18. It is challenging, engrossing, and will get you heart pumping. Bring lots of HARMS. \:\)

OPF is in fact still under repair, which is why it is not available on the TSH website.

#2327519 - 08/30/07 11:19 AM Re: First Campaign [Re: Joe]  
Chappy. Offline
Chappy.  Offline

Canada
Welcome to our great community, Nano. As Joe said the stock campaign can really do the job, very challenging. I really had great fun while I flew them \:\)

BTW if you are looking for a squadron, just check the link in my sig ;\)

#2327808 - 08/30/07 05:38 PM Re: First Campaign [Re: Nano]  
MrNano Offline
MrNano  Offline

Thanks Chappy, I will check out your site. Playing Jane's F-18 is the most fun I have had in a while. As I mentioned in a previous post, I played campaigns in Falcon 4 for both Korea and the Balkans. I always wanted to fly the F-18 in that sim, but the avionics for the F-18 were the same as the F-16. I don't think their carrier ops was very good either.

I bought Jane's when it first came out, but I was focused on Falcon at the time. For several years it was boxed away in my basement. By chance, I started looking at screenshots one day and realized the newer F-18 cockpit looked better than I remembered. I installed it, applied patches, and haven't looked back since. Now I'm excited to do a campaign!

I do have one quick question...is there any way to make the explosions bigger and more visible? I was flying a night mission yesterday, and I could not tell when I hit the migs. I have all of the graphical details maxed out. It would be nice to be able to confirm kills. Anyway, thanks TSH for all the GREAT work!

Nano

#2327922 - 08/30/07 08:15 PM Re: First Campaign [Re: MrNano]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
I think JF-18, especially at night, really portrays the limited knowledge a combat pilot has about what is going on outside his or her cockpit. In real life I'm guessing it is quite hard to ID a kill at night. The most helpful thing is to always bring an ATLFIR with you. With TSHv3 this store gives you the ability to see white hot or black hot target imagery as well as provide an enhanved forward view overlayed on your HUD. Learn to use the FLIR in air-to-air mode to look at your radar target, and it is often possible to ID a kill visually at night. The FLIR also helps prevent you from flying into the ground. \:\)

There are updated explsions available here:
http://www.248th.com/warthog/Skins/misc/enviroment%5C@new%5CExplosion%20Pack.zip

There's also lots more cool stuff on that site, of which the main address is http://www.248th.com/warthog/Skins/index2.html
Beware that many of the aircraft skins, terrain textures, and cockpits are no longer compatible with the most up-to-date install of TSH Add-ons. However, I use
- Mac 4.0 JDAM
- Horus Harpoon / Rockeye textures
- Horus Weapon Fix 1.0
- Horus AIM-120, AIM-9 fix
- Rudel AIM-54C Fix
- Hornit accurate weapon colors
- HiBall improved lightning
- HiBall tracers
- Blitz Explosion Pack
- Blitz realistic clouds
- Charlie 901 ground vehicle skins
- Ghost Pony muzzle flash
- Silkman Flare fix
- Horus enhanced missile smoke trails
- Blitz afterburners

#2329332 - 09/01/07 01:59 PM Re: First Campaign [Re: Joe]  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
Originally Posted By: Joe_
I think JF-18, especially at night, really portrays the limited knowledge a combat pilot has about what is going on outside his or her cockpit. In real life I'm guessing it is quite hard to ID a kill at night. The most helpful thing is to always bring an ATLFIR with you. With TSHv3 this store gives you the ability to see white hot or black hot target imagery as well as provide an enhanved forward view overlayed on your HUD. Learn to use the FLIR in air-to-air mode to look at your radar target, and it is often possible to ID a kill visually at night. The FLIR also helps prevent you from flying into the ground. \:\)

There are updated explsions available here:
http://www.248th.com/warthog/Skins/misc/enviroment%5C@new%5CExplosion%20Pack.zip

There's also lots more cool stuff on that site, of which the main address is http://www.248th.com/warthog/Skins/index2.html
Beware that many of the aircraft skins, terrain textures, and cockpits are no longer compatible with the most up-to-date install of TSH Add-ons. However, I use
- Mac 4.0 JDAM
- Horus Harpoon / Rockeye textures
- Horus Weapon Fix 1.0
- Horus AIM-120, AIM-9 fix
- Rudel AIM-54C Fix
- Hornit accurate weapon colors
- HiBall improved lightning
- HiBall tracers
- Blitz Explosion Pack
- Blitz realistic clouds
- Charlie 901 ground vehicle skins
- Ghost Pony muzzle flash
- Silkman Flare fix
- Horus enhanced missile smoke trails
- Blitz afterburners

Joe, thank you for taking the time to list your favorites. I'm about to install fresh on my newer hardware. Did you use artmanager? If you recall some extras that you also use please post them, will be very much appreciated.

#2331061 - 09/04/07 02:58 PM Re: First Campaign [Re: Dirk98]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Nope, no artmanager for me. I just pick the ones I like to use all of the time and dump the files into the \FA-18 folders.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.