Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2262030 - 07/18/07 03:35 PM Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360  
Icky Offline
Icky  Offline

From what I have been reading a lot of PC players recently purchased the XBOX 360 in the last few months.

These gamers that purchased the XBOX 360 AND have been playing a significant amount of gaming are in a unique position to give qualified conclusions on a variety of topics.

I am [color=#FF0000]NOT[/color] interested in the comments of PC only gamers.
I am [color=#FF0000]NOT[/color] interested in the comments of long-time XBOX 360 players and console fanboys.
I am [color=#CC6600]ONLY[/color] interested in the comments of longtime PC gamers that have purchased the XBOX 360 within the last 12 months.

I would REALLY appreciate honest and thorough responses to each of the sections. If I missed an area or topic, please add those comments. Thanks for taking the time!

o What reasons did you have for purchasing the XBOX 360?

o Was the purchase worth it? Should you have tried XBOX 360 sooner?

o Do you see PC vs. Console debates differently now? If so, how?

o Have you tried XBOX 360 ranked and public matches? How are they different than ranked and public matches for PC?

o Is the average player on XBOX 360 what you expected? Are their any misconceptions you found to be untrue?

o Have you been able to find mature adult gamers online on the 360?

o Are your XBOX 360 friends characteristically different from PC friends? If so, how?

o Are you finding that you can have the same kind of game experience on the XBOX 360 that you had in PC gaming? If not, how does it differ?

o Please comment on the convenience (or inconvenience) of the 360.

o With crossover titles like the Ghost Recon series…..are tactics, camaraderie, and fun different on the 360?

o Do you miss the availability of "mods" and user content?

o If you have purchased download content, how do you feel about the purchase? Was it worth it? Are you comfortable with pay-for content added to games in this way?

o If you find that you rarely play the PC any more, what do you miss about PC gaming? (other than the people that didn't switch)

o How would you describe the level of cheating and glitching on the 360? Please compare it to the level of cheating and glitching you find on PC games.

o For "shooters" specifically, please provide conclusions on controlling your character with the controller instead of keyboard/mouse.

o Do you still play a lot of PC games?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2262035 - 07/18/07 03:42 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: Icky]  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

I am [color=#FF0000]NOT[/color] interested in giving a one time poster ANY comments until you fully explain how this information will be used and to further clarify your reasons for it.

;-)

#2262043 - 07/18/07 03:59 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: PositiveG]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
I gave Ick a link to this site as he posted the question on an xbox community forum I have been a long standing member of. Ick has been a major contributor to the ghost recon community on the xbox and subsequently the xbox360 compiling stats etc. I thought he would do good by coming over here and asking the question as I know a lot of you guy's have been getting into the 360. He's probably using it for some chart or another he's compiling. He's a good guy actually check out his site, there are some cool console gamres out there \:\) http://www.ick.bz

#2262069 - 07/18/07 04:36 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Leeman Offline
Leeman  Offline

New England
Ok, what the hell? I'll go first.

To increase the volume of games to play. There had been a shortage of quality games coming out on the PC. I bought my 360 in November 2006. Mostly, I wanted it to play CoD3, which was not coming out for the PC, and to play some sports games. Oddly, I now have far more shooters than sports games.

Yes, the purchase is worth it. I always say that my only regret is not buying one sooner.

Consoles have closed the gap considerably, graphically speaking. But, I still like the "modability" of the PC.

o Have you tried XBOX 360 ranked and public matches? How are they different than ranked and public matches for PC?
I don't like ranked matches. Too many a-holes.

o Is the average player on XBOX 360 what you expected? Are their any misconceptions you found to be untrue?
I find there to be more younger players, but there is also a good core of older guys like me.

Yes.

o Are your XBOX 360 friends characteristically different from PC friends? If so, how?
No.

o Are you finding that you can have the same kind of game experience on the XBOX 360 that you had in PC gaming? If not, how does it differ?
Yes, very much so.

Virtually patch/tweaking free. Boot it up and play.

o With crossover titles like the Ghost Recon series…..are tactics, camaraderie, and fun different on the 360?
I'm finding the tactical games to be even more tactical, but that could be the people I'm playing with more so than the console itself. Though I do find using a gamepad vs mouse/keyboard to require more careful planning and aiming.

Yes.

o If you have purchased download content, how do you feel about the purchase? Was it worth it? Are you comfortable with pay-for content added to games in this way?
I'm fine with paying for some downloadable content as long as it's reasonably priced.

o If you find that you rarely play the PC any more, what do you miss about PC gaming? (other than the people that didn't switch)
Basically, I miss the volume of good games. There just doesn't seem to be as many coming out for the PC as there used to be.

o How would you describe the level of cheating and glitching on the 360? Please compare it to the level of cheating and glitching you find on PC games.
I don't find much cheating, at least nothing obvious. With the PC there is always a risk.

o For "shooters" specifically, please provide conclusions on controlling your character with the controller instead of keyboard/mouse.
I still prefer the mouse/keyboard to a gamepad. If they develop a reasonably priced mouse/keyboard for the 360 that works as well as it does on the PC I'll be first in line to buy it. However, that being said, adjusting to the gamepad for shooters was easier than I had anticipated. Also, since everyone is basically using the same input device, it sort of levels the playing field.

No. I use my PC for gaming FAR less than I did prior to buying my 360 and I've bought FAR more 360 games since my purchase of the 360 compared to PC game purchases.

Last edited by Leeman; 07/18/07 04:40 PM.

Leeman/LeemzHQ
#2262083 - 07/18/07 04:44 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Jeevz Offline
Duke of URL
Jeevz  Offline
Duke of URL
Veteran

Clermont, FL
Hi Ick, I've downloaded some stuff from your site a few times.

After seeing it on display a few times in stores I decided I wanted to give it a shot. I'd had consoles in the past but mostly for sports games and fighting games. The type of games you play on the couch with your buddies.

Well worth it, I probably should have tried it sooner but no regrets, I have it now.

Yes, I see more "pros" on the console side now than I used to.

What is a ranked match on a PC? I played clan ladders in GR and America's Army and online wars in IL-2 but these are arranged events unlike a raked match on the 360 which is just a pickup game with stat tracking. I don't find the two compareable.

Depends on the game. With many PC shooters the crowd is roughly the same on XBL and PC, the sim crowd that I've played with on PC's for years is definitely more mature on the whole.

Yes, quite a few of them. Many from here at SimHQ but I've met plenty in pickup games on XBL.

Not really, I associate myself with the same types of people on both systems.

XBL is much more convenient than PC multiplayer. PC developers could stand to learn a lot from XBL. I do wish there were more dedicated server games for the 360 as that's how I found many good people to play with on PC. Finding a good server and sticking with it.

I love the convenience of the 360, if titles come out on both platforms I will almost always purchase the 360 version due to this.

Not really, the hardware levels the playing field on the 360 and finding good teamwork on either systems either depends on playing with friends or just lucking into a good game.

Yes and no. Not for multiplayer, mods (IMO) are ruinous for a multiplayer community. Single player is different, you can mod a game til your heart's content and not have to worry about other people having the same set up.

Some of it I am happy with, some I feel was a waste of money. I don't mind paying people for good work.

I still play games that the PC is better at (or where they are non-existent on the 360) on the PC.

Far less cheating (not counting disconnectors) on the 360.

Still getting used to it. I've played with a mouse and keyboard for a decade or more and a controller for less than a year. I feel like I'm picking it up pretty quick but there is plenty of room for improvement.

I switch back and forth depending on what kind of game I'm in the mood for. I've been playing on the PC lately as I've been in a flight sim mood.

Commence to Jigglin'
#2262098 - 07/18/07 05:02 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: Icky]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
HD and Surround sound... knew it would go good with my system, for sport and racing games.

No, I should of waited till the HDMI version came out, but I didn't know.

Yes, was a big anti-console gamer before, now i prefer the console for most games...except for the true simulation types.

No

Yes, the avergae outside player is a dumb ass teen age kid with an attitude... of course there are also people I do respect and play with.

Only with friends from here and tactical gamer.

Same peops.

Yes when I play with my peops on a locked server... but i hate the open 360 community.

Oh man is it convenant... no ports to open, in game comms, exceelant chat features, true PLUG and PLAY.

No, only because I play with the same peop.

Yes...but understandable...too many 360 plueses, with only a few minues, that being a big one.

I purchase, I hate to pay for it, Microsoft is a money hungry business with little morals, but I'm addicted to the 360 and it's games...and need those packs...thou on a PC they would be called mods or maps released for free.

In game depth... like flight sims and stuff like that, the 360 needs to grow up and make games for grown ups too... but I still play PC just as much.

None, because I play with only honest, good peops...same with PC.

Love it now, hated it at first but within a few games of GoW, I had it down... still a little slow for me, but doable.

about the same...it aint the games or machines it's TIME... give us 30 hour days please.

#2262099 - 07/18/07 05:03 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: Jeevz]  
M@verick Offline
XBL: GrizzlyBear83 PSN: GrizzlyBear1983
M@verick  Offline
XBL: GrizzlyBear83 PSN: GrizzlyBear1983

Gothenburg, Sweden
Didn’t want to waste money to upgrade my PC to play games at high quality, to also increase volumes of games to play and won’t need to worry about have to edit/change settings to be able to play a game.

Yes it was worth it, tonnes of fun games. No wouldn’t have bought it at launch for instance as there were not enough games that at the time interested me.

Nah, I’m still partial to the PC in a sense that I still dislike PC bashers and I still prefer the ability to mod games on the PC which is a major drawback on the 360. But there is lot of pros for the 360.

Ranked matches are boring, only one match then it ends.

Sometimes it can be very immature people playing (read young), but there are still a lot of older guys around. I usually quite a game if there are too many children around. I really dislike all the younger, bad mouthing stupid children that should be banned from gaming.

Yes

No

XBL is much more easier then PC multiplayer.

From now on I’ll only buy the 360 version of a game, unless it’s Unreal Tournament 3 due to the mod community, then I’ll probably own both eventually. Boot and play and more or less patch/tweak free.

Not really as long as you and the rest of the players are on the same page.

Yes

It depends on the content, I don’t mind paying for it as long as it’s worth the money. But that MS want to charge for everything is just wrong, especially when the developer want it released for free (Epic and GoW)

The low volume of good games and sloppy multi-platform translation is the reason for the switch to the 360. I miss the great titles on the PC

Far less than on the PC

I actually prefer the controller a little more than the keyboard/mouse, but it’s more precise on the PC

It happens, but the focus is on the 360.

Last edited by M@verick; 07/18/07 05:09 PM.

Xbox Live: GrizzlyBear83
PSN: GrizzlyBear1983
#2262193 - 07/18/07 07:48 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: M@verick]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
o I've owned my xbox 360 for eighteen months and do not meet the survey requirements. GASP, does this make me a console gamer and not a pc gamer?!? ;\)

#2262252 - 07/18/07 09:01 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: PositiveG]  
x T3KNO x Offline
x T3KNO x  Offline

Belfast, N.Ireland
Originally Posted By: PositiveG
I am [color=#FF0000]NOT[/color] interested in giving a one time poster ANY comments until you fully explain how this information will be used and to further clarify your reasons for it.

;-)

Jeebus Pacer, you get outta the wrong side of bed this morning? ;\) \:\)

"The hand grenade is an equal opportunities weapon. Everyone gets a bit".

XBL tag = x T3KNO x

http://www.lynxgamer.com

#2262274 - 07/18/07 09:47 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: Icky]  
Snacky Offline
Crankin Wrenches
Snacky  Offline
Crankin Wrenches

USA

I have always owned a console of some type dating back to the Sega Genesis. I purchased the Xbox360 because I enjoyed the original Xbox and the games available for it.

Yes it was worth it and i got my 360 when I could afford it.

Yes. I no longer consider consoles only for kids.

Ranked matches tend to be more team oriented, while public games tend to be more about run and gun.

As I expected, but I tend to only play with people I know from this forum or on my friends list. I try to avoid kids if possible.

Yes, but only if I stick to my friends list. I played quite a bit of NFL2K5 on live with my original Xbox and it was hard to find honest players that did not exploit gliches or cheat in some way.

No, The people on my friends list frequent this board and are the same age as I am with the same interest. I am trying to get more of my PC online friends hooked on the Xbox360, but the misconception that it is for kids is hard to overcome.

Yes and No. My gaming experience on the Xbox360 is more relaxed because of my location while playing and the types of games I play. While on the PC I am at a desk in a desk chair in front of a small LCD screen.

In comparison to the PC I can play my 360 on my big screen high def tv on my nice comfy couch.

Yes. I think the difference for me is with the controller. For me it is better and worse in some ways versus the mouse and keyboard. I have also been with my PC friends longer than my Xbox360 friends so communication is easier.

Yes. This is the one area where i think the Xbox360 is held back and far behind the PC. Mods and customization is the norm on the PC. Games like Battlefield 2 and Ghost Recon ave a very long life span on the PC due to mods. It would be great if games like Ghost Recon had a built in map builder and allowd gamers to share maps and missions over Live. This would extend the life span of these games.

I am comfortable with payware content as long as the content is worth the money. If it is a significant addition like a map pack then yes it is worth it, but it helps when publishers throw the user a free bone every now and then.

The only genre of game that I use my PC for is flight sims. Flight Sims have always been and will continue to be my primary gaming choice with shooters a close second, especially realistic tactical shooters like Rainbow Six and GRAW. I miss the open ended gaming you get with PC gaming and the ability to mod and enhance your games. If flight sims ever came to the Xbox360 with all of the stick and throttle componants needed to play them I would probably leave the PC perminantly, but the PC is still the prefered Flight Sim platform.

Other than sports games like Madden I have never been a victim of glitching or cheating. This is the good thing about having a system that is not open to mods and user created files. In games like Madden players will use things like all out blitz every down or onside kick everytime they kick off. Not considered cheats, but definantly not honorable play. With the rating system on XboxLIVE being able to hurt someones reputation online by reporting them has cut down on this type of play.

2 years ago I would have told you there was no way I was going to play a shooter on a console for this very reason, but after having several hours in shooters with the xbox controllers I have gotten to where I am comfortable using them. Depending on how the game is designed I find myself having more control with the xbox controller in certain games. Halo for example is very smooth IMO. I can be very smooth and slow ehn clearing a building in RB6Vegas. It depends on the game. I do not have difficulty with either one now.

Not a lot. As I said earlier I am a flight sim guy and flight sims will always have to be played on the PC, at least for now. There are some games like RTS games that I now play on the 360 like C&C3. My biggest problem with the PC is I can't go buy a game and just play it on the PC like I can my 360. Gaming on the PC requires updating drivers, troubleshooting problems, etc. On my 360 I can buy a game, usually after playing the free demo, and play it without having to do anything and it works. IMO this is the biggest advantage the Consoles have over the PC. Now if we could just get some mission builders and user shared maps on Live we would be set. Also a web browser on Live would be excellent!

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” -Patrick Henry
#2262304 - 07/18/07 10:23 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: PositiveG]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PositiveG

;-)

Zing, hehe

Welcome to the SimHQ forums \:\)

#2262427 - 07/19/07 12:55 AM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: Master]  
PositiveG Offline
Veteran
PositiveG  Offline
Veteran

Note the wink guys, note the wink.

#2262795 - 07/19/07 01:34 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: PositiveG]  
Icky Offline
Icky  Offline

lol. I still can't believe I left thost tags in there!

Hey, thanks guys. That is some of the best information yet. Seems to match what I hear elsewehre. I will keep you posted when I finish my summary.

Hey, thanks Tigerwulf. You were right, a great group of guys.

#2262912 - 07/19/07 03:34 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: Icky]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
No problem Ick, I'm happy you got some help mate.

#2262937 - 07/19/07 04:06 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: Tigerwulf]  
x T3KNO x Offline
x T3KNO x  Offline

Belfast, N.Ireland
I had the original xbox. Then i was gonna get the 360 or a new PC to play on. Not being a technical person, or knowing much about PC gaming, i just went with what i knew.

Plug and play is what i wanted, no upgrading, no fiddling with lots of settings, no fuss, no having to miss out on top games cause my computer isn't good enough, and i wasn't familiar with PC contols - keybords just didn't attract me, and i was already used to the xbox controller.

I knew the online worked and had been majorly upgraded from the original xbox.

mods didn't bother me, i want to play the game for what it is. D/loadable content is available which is good, dont have to worry about viruses, hackers either.

Cheaters can be booted from games, pretty much every one is on a level playing field as well. You can't hack 360 games AFAIK or rewrite the code a bit so that you can cheat.

The only cheating is done by n(.)(.)bs running about in FPS games solely with rocket launchers, os said games most powerful handheld weapon. or in some cases glitching onto parts of the map that would normally be out of bounds.

"The hand grenade is an equal opportunities weapon. Everyone gets a bit".

XBL tag = x T3KNO x

http://www.lynxgamer.com

#2263154 - 07/19/07 09:00 PM Re: Question for PC gamers playing XBOX 360 [Re: Icky]  
otterspotter Offline
otterspotter  Offline

Didn't purchase it, won it in a monthly drawing at GoGamer.com (January 2007). At that point I wasn't considering a purchase. I own the old XBOX and wasn't too curious about 360.

It was definitely worth it, can't beat that price! Ownining did actually change my mind. If it broke or something, I would probably buy a new one.

Yep. The major factor is the next gen graphics on HDTV. Gave up on the old XBOX for this reason among others.

Don't play multiplayer on either PC or 360.

Didn't have any expectations.

Didn't try, but there seem to be quite a few here at SimHQ.

See above.

The two are still distinctly different. The graphics caught up but control still a major issue for me and can get in the way of enjoyment. Nothing beats mouse for precision, at least in my case. Also, compared to PC, there are few simulation titles for 360, the main game type I play. In the existing ones either the control is a bit of an issue (R6: Vegas, GRAW) or their realism is overshadowed by the need to entertain (PGR3, DiRT).

Convenience: just fire it up, plop the DVD, and you're set
Inconvenience: miss my mouse, the amount and diversity of content

Can't speak for camaraderie, but other factors are quite similar, minus the mouse.

Definitely. Most of my PC games/sims are heavily moded. At one point I might hook up my 360 and see what's really out there. It doesn't seem to compare to the PC community.

Never have. It would have to be something significantly enhancing the gameplay. Most of the stuff announced seems to be geared toward multiplayer.

My PC time is still much higher than my 360 time: it's the diversity and fidelity (PC) vs. ease of use (360).

Can't compare.

Not sure whether pad mastery is something that can be trained (if so, the many hours I spent with Vegas and GRAW have amounted to nothing), but control is something that definitely takes away from fully enjoying such games.

More than I have the time for. Given the control limitations, market expectations, and development/distribution models, 360 can outsell PC in the most popular genres, but I can't see it providing the same content diversity and fidelity in the niche genres (like simulation). Having to choose, I will always go for the PC.

In short, the games I purchase for 360 are the ones that are either unavailable for PC or the ones where control issues and modded content availability will likely not be an issue, in other words, more entertainment than simulation. To illustrate:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - PC (not available on 360)
Oblivion - PC (moddability)
Vegas - 360 (don't mind the pad)
GRAW - 360 (don't mind the pad)
DiRT - 360 (don't mind the pad, entertainment title)
PGR3 - 360 (don't mind the pad, entertainment title)
Call of Duty 2 - PC (mouse better)
Call of Duty 3 - 360 (not available for PC)
Various flight sims - PC (not available on 360, moddability and control)
Various racing and land sims - PC (not available on 360, moddability and control)
Various strategy games - PC (not available on 360, moddability and control)

Last edited by otterspotter; 07/19/07 09:13 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.