Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2254677 - 07/09/07 07:53 PM HI - Newb question  
Phoenix Offline
Phoenix  Offline

Just curious, how realistic is this one? Is this on par with Ghost Recon (the original, non-arcadish one mind you)? I was reading the features, and I noticed a medic class who can instantly "heal" wounded soldiers and return them to full health -- I was kind of shying away from health meters, health packs lying around, instant rehealing, and action-game style touches. Any advice?

#2255783 - 07/11/07 02:32 AM Re: HI - Newb question [Re: Phoenix]  
nebula24 Offline
nebula24  Offline

Norman, OK
Try the demo. You might also want to try the demo for its sequal Arma (Armed Assault). I initially skipped OFP and went with GR1 gold, then RvS and SWAT3/4. OFP was way too complicated when I was getting into tactical FPS but now its one of my favs.

Its realistic like GR1 with mostly 1 shot kills, though you can sometimes survive a shot and be wounded, which affects how you shoot/move. You can heal at medics or medic tents but there are not health packs lying around. There is some time involved, though not much, but its is not instant. Its enough to get you killed if you try to get healed without having cover.

To me, its like GR1 but with larger combined arms forces. Though you can still have solo or small group missions too. Its up to the mission maker. Both OFP and ArmA also have great editors that allow easy missions (just throw down the units you want to fight on the map and go) or complicated missions using scripting (takes time to learn but there are tons of tutorials on the net). I just do easy ones but use a mod that helps to randomize enemy type and placement.

One main thing, at least with OFP, is you only get 1 mid mission save. You can use a cheat function to overwrite the one save though so you can save any time, but you just get 1 not multiples save files. Arma on the easier settings gives you the 1 save but lets you overwrite it without using the cheat function. The controls can also be complicated at first, especially if you are in control of a large squad.

There are a crazy amount of mods that affect gameplay, change the models, new missions/campaigns, countries involved, time period, etc. While the mods can be a bit tricky to get up and running the official forums have tons of info on how to do it. The official forums (check the mod section) and the mod sticky here have some good suggestions.

If you do get OFP, be sure and get the Gold version (AKA GOTY), which includes the 2 exp packs: Red Hammer and Resistance. Many mods require this now. I was able to pick up the GOTY version for $2 off ebay. Xfire shows me past 50hrs. Almost finished the original campaign and have spent tons of time on custom missions and playing in the editor making my own. Would have still been worth the full price to me, which is one reason I picked up ArmA on release knowing it would need some patching, time to mature and time for mods to be made.

#2256750 - 07/12/07 02:18 AM Re: HI - Newb question [Re: nebula24]  
Phoenix Offline
Phoenix  Offline

Thank you for that reply! I have the demo, but it was kind of short and the commands were limited so I wasn't getting a feel for what the entire thing was really like. But given what you said, it seems pretty simmy - which I like. Appreciate the info!

#2256897 - 07/12/07 05:31 AM Re: HI - Newb question [Re: Phoenix]  
Phoenix Offline
Phoenix  Offline

Hehe. Tried out Armed Assault on the lowest possible settings on my current rig:
Athlon XP 3200+ (32-bit)
512 MB Generic DDR
GeForce FX 5500 256MB AGP

Results? Well under 10 FPS...time for an upgrade me thinks.

#2257105 - 07/12/07 01:50 PM Re: HI - Newb question [Re: Phoenix]  
nebula24 Offline
nebula24  Offline

Norman, OK
If you cant do a full rig upgrade, you could slap in more RAM and new video card and play it better. I play ArmA on a barton2500 oc'd to 3200, 1.5GB RAM and a 7600GT 256MB AGP. Usually get 20+FPS on a mix of low/normal settings at 1440x900 (Better FPS out of town then in town). Runs well enough to play. Wish I had a better CPU but would have to do the whole mobo/ram/cpu thing and cant justify it until I plow through my backlog. I dont want to have to reinstall all my games & mods either.

If you cant upgrade, a modded OFP doesnt look to shabby, especially if your still playing GR1. Along with the games stock campaings/missions, there are tons of user made campaigns/missions to keep you busy for a while. The main forums are still active. Nice screenshot thread in the General section. As for the demo, there are 2 for OFP (for the OG game and one for expansion). I dont recall how they differ but the other might be worth a play through too.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.