Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2239118 - 06/19/07 11:28 AM My Favourite Car In Colin McRae: DiRT Is...  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

Balsa Munitions R&D Institutio...
I'm infatuated with the Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec-C. Let me tell you now, that blasting up Pikes Peak, in Colin McRae: DiRT, with this baby, is a totally awesome experience.

"Yeah baby, yeah!"

The Subaru Impreza WRX STI (formerly STi, officially changed in 2006) is the highest standard-edition trim in the Subaru Impreza compact car line, produced by Japanese auto maker Subaru.

Shots above are from DiRT \:\)

In the late 1980s, Subaru created the Subaru Tecnica International (STI) division to coordinate development for the FIA World Rally Championship and other motorsports activities. After the company had grown, the division was used to create high-performance consumer versions of the Subaru Impreza WRX, a all-wheel drive car with a turbocharged flat-4 engine, leading to the development of the Impreza WRX STi. Subaru has used a race-prepared version of the WRX STI as its rally platform since the model trim's creation.

Major Features of the finely tuned new Impreza WRX STI spec C:
* Compared to the Impreza WRX STI, Impreza WRX STI spec C is about 70 kilograms lighter through the adaptation of lighter glass, a trunk lid composed of aluminium, and thinner roof construction.
* Reinforcing braces have been added to the front strut tower on the WRX STI spec C. In addition, the solid bars used to connect the front pillar and upper frame have been replaced by enhanced hollow bars and rigidity of chassis have been improved
* A rear crossbar has been fitted to further improve body rigidity.
* The turbocharger in the Impreza WRX STI spec C uses precise ball bearings in the shaft to reduce friction, thereby offering a smooth and speedy turbo boost and providing ideal engine response.
* A large water reservoir for the intercooler water spray as well as an air-cooled engine oil cooler have been implemented to ensure stable engine performance.
In Summary.
* Aero upgrades are part of the 'spec C' STI
* Looks like any normal STI inside
* Lighter, stiffer and with more power, the spec' C WRX STI is not to be trifled with

Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), a global manufacturer of transportation and aerospace-related products and the maker of Subaru automobiles, submitted a homologation application to the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) for the finely tuned new Subaru Impreza WRX STI spec C to rally as a Group N vehicle in 2006.

To enter FIA-approved racing and rallying championships that take place around the world, cars must be homologated according to the FIA regulations. Group N (production cars) is one of the rally and off-road vehicle groups set forth by the FIA. Defined as large-scale series production touring cars, Group N homologation imposes strict limits on modifications to production models and is known as the category that best reflects the performance inherent to the basic production model.

WRX STI spec C is very suitable for racing due to its lightened body and high performance engine. Therefore, the application embodies the company’s plan to position this model as a key competitor in motorsport activities.

Hengist.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2239832 - 06/19/07 02:15 PM Re: My Favourite Car In Colin McRae: DiRT Is... [Re: Hengist]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
it gets released, shipped, today here in the US...so I'll be picking up my copy tomorrow, but I'm hearing alot of negative things about the feeling of the drive, besides you claiming how great it is, everyone else that post an opinion anywhere on the multiple web sites I visit, say the drive is unreal and too arcadish... now I'm not sure if there talking about the PC version or the 360, because the PC version is getting bad reviews also... of course I'll find out tomorrow, and have my own opinion.

#2239834 - 06/19/07 02:16 PM Re: My Favourite Car In Colin McRae: DiRT Is... [Re: Magnum]  
Jeevz Offline
Duke of URL
Jeevz  Offline
Duke of URL
Veteran

Clermont, FL
You've played the demo haven't you?

Commence to Jigglin'
#2239872 - 06/19/07 03:06 PM Re: My Favourite Car In Colin McRae: DiRT Is... [Re: Magnum]  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

Originally Posted By: Magnum SimHQ
I'm hearing alot of negative things about the feeling of the drive, besides you claiming how great it is

Hi Magnum, let's get one thing straight before I type anything further. I have never made any comment on the drive modelling (Until this post, that is). I have only ever made positive comments on the game, in its entirety.

As you know, I've never been one to bleat along with the crowd. I'm my own man, I make my own opinions and to hell with what anyone else thinks \:\)

I appreciate that until you get the game, that you can only go off what others say.

As Jeevz alluded to, the demo is pretty representative of the final release. I'll be the first to admit that the drive modelling isn't on a par with Forza 2, but it's most defiantly 100% better than something like PGR3. If put on the spot, I'd say that the drive model lies somewhere between the two titles, but edges more towards Forza. However, the damage model, on the other hand, is easily up there with Forza 2, perhaps even better in some cases? Also, although you can't upgrade the cars, the level of tweaking is on a par with Forza as well, IMO.

I've also read that the PC version sucks when compared to the 360 release. Lots of people on the PC are having problems with their wheels, graphics, framerates and Starfarce protection.

I said in another post, on SimHQ, that I'm quite prepared to view my definition of a simulation along these lines. If a title manages to capture the feel, spirit and essence of the subject that it attempts to portray, rather than a mere technical readout, data comparison. Then I consider it to be simulation. I then reproduced an exert from a post here (I don't know if you read it?), where I said the following...

"When I play DiRT it feels like I'm playing a Man's motorsport title (please excuse the implied sexism). Imagine that you're approaching a crest at near 100mph, and you take to the air in a 18 foot high jump, only to land 100 feet, further down the backside of the hill. You've then got 0.5 seconds to battle the wheel and keep the damn car from rolling, before hitting the brakes, whilst crunching those gears down, redlining the engine rev's and making it scream out loud in protest. The wheel shakes, you grip even harder. The tyres screech, the gravel and chippings rattle off your car, invading your concentration. Above all this noise, you suddenly hear your Nav' call out, "Left - 2. Narrows - 1"... GULP!!! Well all I can say is that the pucker factor is pretty high. It's not a motorsport title for the meek, it's a Man's game (or even a butch ladies game, lol)."

I then went onto say, that if a title can make me feel like that, then in my book, that's what I can define as a simulation!

It's a pity that you haven't gotten it today, I was looking forward to trying some mulitplay with you. Ahh well, those 24 hours will soon pass, no doubt. Tomorrow, when you've gotten accustomed to how the title feels and handles, and you're ready to try some online play, message me. I should be on Live pretty much all day. I'll be waiting for you, lol.

P.S. My last paragraph also applies to all my other New World, colonial friends. If any of you want to try some multiplay, then just message me.

See you all tomorrow \:\)

Hengist.
#2240062 - 06/19/07 07:12 PM Re: My Favourite Car In Colin McRae: DiRT Is... [Re: Hengist]  
Leeman Offline
Leeman  Offline

New England
The issue I've heard about the driving model in Dirt is that it's based around a "central pivot" for turning the vehicle. This sounds unrealistic to me, but I don't notice anything glaringly different about the way the Dirt demo plays and Forza2.

I'd imagine that if you're not a hardcore racing/driving nut that the difference isn't enough to detract from the game being "fun" and feeling "real enough".

Leeman/LeemzHQ
#2240074 - 06/19/07 07:53 PM Re: My Favourite Car In Colin McRae: DiRT Is... [Re: Leeman]  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

I wouldn't say that Leemz. FWD, RWD & 4WD certainly has an impact, as does where the engine is positioned.

Hengist.
#2240079 - 06/19/07 08:00 PM Re: My Favourite Car In Colin McRae: DiRT Is... [Re: Hengist]  
Ark Offline
Cat Herder
Ark  Offline
Cat Herder

Fresno, CA.
The issue I have with all of the comments about the driving model in many of the forums, is that I am guessing less than 1% of those people have ever actually driven a rally car. I will probably never drive a real rally car, so what do I care what they say? LOL

Besides, if it's fun, what else really matters? \:\)

My .02c

Ark

Windows 7 x64
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 4.0
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 680 Classified
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
1GB WD "Black"
LG 39" LCD / Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer H233H 23" LCD

RIP Positive G
#2240084 - 06/19/07 08:03 PM Re: My Favourite Car In Colin McRae: DiRT Is... [Re: Ark]  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

Ark, it's always a case of too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Most seem to talk out of their arse and actually know very little.

Originally Posted By: Ark
Besides, if it's fun, what else really matters? \:\)
That's the wisest thing I've read on these forums in a long while.

Let me know if you ever want to try some online rallying together.

Hengist.
#2240180 - 06/19/07 09:36 PM Re: My Favourite Car In Colin McRae: DiRT Is... [Re: Hengist]  
=DD= Offline
=DD=  Offline

San Diego, Ca. USA
Hengist,

That Subaru is one sharp car. Having owned both a WRX and a Legacy 2.5 GT in the recent past, I can safely state that I am a Subaru nut. I'm going to have to give the Dirt demo a try once I have some free time. I can tell you from real life experience that the Subaru all wheel drive system is top notch. I driven through both ice and powder like desert dirt without a loss of traction or confidence.

I was heartbroken when I had to trade my Subaru in for a truck a couple of months back. When my old truck gave out, I needed to trade the Legacy in for a more practical vehicle that is capable of hauling yard clippings and branches to the dump.

I also envy you living in Europe where rallying is a pretty popular sport with WRC events held locally. I hope the US will one day host a WRC rally. Most media attention to racing locally is focused on NASCAR. Rallying is getting a little air time thanks to the efforts of Travis Pastrana and a small rally event that is now part of the X-Games. What a cool sport.

DD

"Hit harder than you dare." - Eli

Xbox Live tag: L1ttLeB1RD

#2240327 - 06/20/07 12:50 AM Re: My Favourite Car In Colin McRae: DiRT Is... [Re: Hengist]  
Ark Offline
Cat Herder
Ark  Offline
Cat Herder

Fresno, CA.
Originally Posted By: Hengist
Let me know if you ever want to try some online rallying together.

That would be a blast, just give me a short time to learn to drive on dirt. LOL

Hopefully, I will be picking up my copy tomorrow morning some time if my pre-order shows up at EB. I can't wait. I have been salivating for this game ever since the release of the demo.

I am hoping we can get a group of SimHQ members together and play. That would be a lot of fun.

Ark

Windows 7 x64
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 4.0
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 680 Classified
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
1GB WD "Black"
LG 39" LCD / Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer H233H 23" LCD

RIP Positive G

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.