Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2235963 - 06/15/07 06:47 PM Re: Colin McRae: DIRT - First Impressions. [Re: Magnum]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
According to a few people on the official UK Xbox forums Blockbuster are doing a deal on a selected trade in titles (listed on their site) you can buy Forza 2 or Dirt for £9.99. Shame I just bought Gears of War as thats one of the titles lol

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2236018 - 06/15/07 08:24 PM Re: Colin McRae: DIRT - First Impressions. [Re: Magnum]  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

Balsa Munitions R&D Institutio...
Originally Posted By: Magnum SimHQ
but as a "writer/editor" it's always nice to have those tools...

A fine example of how different peoples, needs and wants vary. I thought that may have been the reason why you asked Magnum. I can imagine that something like that is quite an important thing for you. Whereas for myself, it isn't. Even things like painting your car in Forza2 has zero interest for me, but I realise and respect that some people may enjoy that kind of stuff. Again, another example of how people have different needs and wants.

Originally Posted By: Magnum SimHQ
I am just concerned about it's longevity due to it's MP limits.

Again, another example of how people have different needs and wants. Obviously this is a high priority for yourself, as this is how you judge 'longevity', whereas myself it always has been and will always continue to be, how good is the single player game? That's the most important thing for me and that's how I judge the 'longevity' of a game.

I do wish reviewers would consider this fact that people have different needs and wants and write more 'objective' reviews that take this into consideration, instead of generalising and thinking that everybody must think along the same lines as themselves, because people simply aren't like that... Thank goodness or it would truly be a boring world indeed. Diversity is the name of the game.

Anyway, it's good to hear that you're getting the title, and hopefully we can meet up and test this multiplay and satisfy your curiosity. \:\)

Hengist.
#2236032 - 06/15/07 08:52 PM Re: Colin McRae: DIRT - First Impressions. [Re: Hengist]  
Jeevz Offline
Duke of URL
Jeevz  Offline
Duke of URL
Veteran

Clermont, FL
What are the hosting options like? Can you host a private rally between you and your friends or is it all done on a central server?

Commence to Jigglin'
#2236315 - 06/16/07 05:35 AM Re: Colin McRae: DIRT - First Impressions. [Re: Jeevz]  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

Hi Jeevz, I've just woken up and read this, so with blurry eyes I fired up the console and checked. The answer is Yes, it does allow private sessions.

On another note, how wimpy am I? As I was waking up, I did my usual yawn and stretch. To my surprise I discovered that the triceps on the back of my arms are slightly aching. This is due to myself spending all of yesterday at the wheel with DIRT. Who needs to pay expensive fees, in order to go to the Gym, when you've got a force feedback wheel and this game? lol \:\)

Ok, I'm off to fill the kettle up and make myself a cup of Coffee now.

Hengist.
#2236943 - 06/17/07 04:31 AM Re: Colin McRae: DIRT - First Impressions. [Re: Hengist]  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

Wow, I've managed to go a whole day, since waking up, without making another post in this thread. I've been too busy playing the game. Well it's 23:16 and I've just finished trying multiplayer with a friend of mine GH02. I must admit that it was a lot of fun. We were in private chat, didn't test the in-game chat, but the multi gameplay was pretty neat.

You start off in the lobby and you vote for which track/car you want to race, the majority outcome carries the day. Once in the race world, whoever was leading had their name at the top of the player list, and we could both see each others relative position on the side progress bar. As we were racing, it was quite funny to chat and compare crash spots or warn each other about difficult areas of the track and we both seem to hit the same tree, in our own virtual world (poor tree, I hope Greenpeace don't find out). It's hard to fully explain the multiplay experience, because it was so different. It was good in a fresh, new kind of way and I even got an achievement for finishing first... wahoo, I have to like it now \:\)

Hengist.
#2237725 - 06/18/07 07:14 AM Re: Colin McRae: DIRT - First Impressions. [Re: Hengist]  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

Day 4: Hengist wakes up.

Last night I tried some ranked games. I normally stay away from these games on most titles, as the competition is a tadge too serious for my tastes (that's Hengist code for saying that I'm crap, lol). However, the ranked games of DiRT are cool. The true skill matching system seems to work pretty well. I took a Subaru Impreza on the Canberra rally track in Australia. I was trailing in second place, for about half the stage, but the lead guy must have hit a tree or something, because I edged in front, remained there for the rest of the race and finally came in first with the best time. I can't remember ever winning a ranked match on Live before, with any title. Perhaps the annominity of the event physiologically helped me to victory, who knows? I do know that I've now got the confidence to try another ranked match in DiRT, it was a lot of fun.

I'm just waiting for Revvin and some more SimHQers to buy this title. When I play DiRT it feels like I'm playing a Man's motorsport title (please excuse the implied sexism). Imagine that you're approaching a crest at near 100mph, and you take to the air in a 18 foot high jump, only to land 100 feet, further down the backside of the hill. You've then got 0.5 seconds to battle the wheel and keep the damn car from rolling, before hitting the brakes, whilst crunching those gears down, redlining the engine rev's and making it scream out loud in protest. The wheel shakes, you grip even harder. The tyres screech, the gravel and chippings rattle off your car, invading your concentration. Above all this noise, you suddenly hear your Nav' call out, "Left - 2. Narrows - 1"... GULP!!! Well all I can say is that the pucker factor is pretty high. It's not a motorsport title for the meek, it's a Man's game (or even a butch ladies game, lol). \:\)

Hengist.
#2239777 - 06/19/07 01:04 PM Re: Colin McRae: DIRT - First Impressions. [Re: Hengist]  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

Day 5: Hengist Discovers Some Interesting Information Regarding Online Play.

It appears that you can host 'Ranked' games and also invite friends.

Hengist.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.