Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#2227687 - 06/04/07 09:45 PM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: kreelin]  
El Mudjahed Offline
El Mudjahed  Offline

Tunisia
Originally Posted By: kreelin
It was already confirmed as a complete freeware mod (few posts above) but I confirm it again... This mod is an example of SFP1 modders cooperation. There are too much people involve that if we want it to be a payware, It would be very expensive \:D ( If I say 5 bucks by modders, the mod will cost you at least 60 bucks \:\) )

Thank you for conformation thats good to hear \:D \:D \:D

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2227724 - 06/04/07 11:01 PM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: Stratos]  
Vikingo Offline
Vikingo  Offline

Argentina
thanks for the nice pics and freeware confirmation...

----
Anyway, let's not start a flame war here, once the mod is available (hopefully soon) there will be plenty of opportunities to shoot down Sea Harriers or Mirages or sinking aircraft carriers
----

agree with that!

core2duo e6600
asrock 4coredual-vsta
EVGA 8800GT 512 MB
2 GB RAM DDR2
Sound Blaster Audigy
1 x 1 TB HD SATA
2 x 250GB HD IDE
#2227768 - 06/05/07 12:22 AM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: Vikingo]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

SOUNDS GOOD

#2227938 - 06/05/07 06:03 AM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: ]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Vikingo, IIRC the SF series carriers are unsinkable \:\(

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#2228105 - 06/05/07 01:34 PM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: Stratos]  
crl848 Offline
crl848  Offline

Originally Posted By: Stratos
Vikingo, IIRC the SF series carriers are unsinkable \:\(

Or, you might say, Invincible? ;\)

What search button?
#2228122 - 06/05/07 01:59 PM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: crl848]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Good one crl848! \:\)

Can I ask for some pics of the Daggers in daylight?? Thank's!!

-To the Graveyard!!

#2228399 - 06/05/07 08:43 PM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: Stratos]  
Vikingo Offline
Vikingo  Offline

Argentina
----
IIRC the SF series carriers are unsinkable
-----

bahh! no problem I will be happy to hit it with some nice Exocets (they are modeled no? hehe) so they can texture it back and fix some 3D meshes at Ascención Island before the next mission in game... you know nobody have to now it have been touched ;\)

core2duo e6600
asrock 4coredual-vsta
EVGA 8800GT 512 MB
2 GB RAM DDR2
Sound Blaster Audigy
1 x 1 TB HD SATA
2 x 250GB HD IDE
#2228470 - 06/05/07 09:54 PM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: Vikingo]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
What is this history about a ghost carrier sunk in South Atlantic??

-To the Graveyard!!

#2228702 - 06/06/07 04:42 AM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: Stratos]  
HELLFIRE Offline
HELLFIRE  Offline

Originally Posted By: Stratos
What is this history about a ghost carrier sunk in South Atlantic??

Well, the story goes on more or less like this:

On May 30, 1982, an attack took place by a combined force of Argentine Air Force (four A-4C Skyhawks of the Grupo 4 de Caza) and Navy (2 Super Etendards of the 2ndo Escuadron Aeronaval) warplanes against the British Task Force carrier group lead by HMS Invincible, some miles east of the Falkland islands.

The attack began about 2:30pm (local time) by a flight of Super Etendards lead by Lieutenant Alejandro Francisco (carrying the last Exocet in Argentine inventory) and his wingman, Luis Collavino. About 125 miles from their target and after having confirmation of a solid lock on HMS Invincible, Francisco released his missile and both Super Etendards disengaged and broke off back to base while the four Skyhawks carried on with the attack. From this point the story gets confusing because the Argentinians say that the Exocet hit the aircraft carrier, a large column of smoke emerged and that was a visual cue that helped the Skyhawk pilots lock onto their target; the British however say that what the pilots saw were smoke trails from SeaDart SAMs launched from HMS Exeter at the incoming planes. To support that, there are the accounts of crewmembers both from Exeter and also from HMS Cardiff, who inadvertedly fired upon the SeaDarts launched from Exeter from beyond maximum range thinking that they were enemy missiles. Anyway, the four Skyhawks continued inbound for the carrier group. About 7 miles from target, a SeaDart missile launched from HMS Exeter hit and destroyed First Lieutenant Jose Vazquez's A-4C (first element wingman). A few seconds later, anti-aircraft rounds downed Omar Castillo's Skyhawk (second element lead). The two remaining A-4C stayed on target evading AAA rounds and missiles while flying extremely low. According to First Lieutenant Ernesto Ureta and Ensign Gerardo Isaac, they released their bombs over the aircraft carrier as they flew over it, then they egressed from the target area at high speed and low altitude.

The first British account of the battle did not confirm any hit on HMS Invincible; instead, it appeared that the Argentine pilots who were flying extremely low, dodging missiles and close-in artillery rounds with their canopies cluttered by a layer of salt and moisture given their proximity to the surface of the ocean, confused the aircraft carrier with the frigate HMS Avenger, which was also not hit. What seems more likely is that the missile locked on the partialy submerged hull of the Atlantic Conveyor; given the high environment of chaff deployed and jamming, it is likely that the missile lost its intended target and locked onto a high RCS object, such as the hull of the Conveyor that was being towed at that moment by the civilian tugboat Irishman. The crew of the Irishman confirmed a large explosion coming from the hull of Atlantic Conveyor that day, wich is interesting considering that the vessel in question was nothing but a wreckage of twisted, burnt metal as a result of a missile attack days before \:\)

What's most revealing is that according to certain conspiracy theorists, the British government somehow covered up the damage, silenced the crew (some even say that HMS Invincible was sunk and later replaced by a newly built ship of her class) and so on; however, several other ships were hit and lost in the Falklands war and all of them were recognised as losses and even detailed accounts of casualties were given:

- HMS Sheffield, hit by an AM-39 Exocet missile on May 4, sank 6 days later, 20 or so people died: everybody knew about it.
- Atlantic Conveyor, hit by an Exocet missile on May 25, partialy sunk, 12 people on board were killed: everybody knew about it.
- HMS Coventry, hit and sunk on May 25 by low-drag conventional free-fall bombs, 19 crewmen killed: everybody knew about it.
- HMS Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram, both bombed on June 9, the single largest loss of British servicemen in the whole conflict: 50 people killed. Everybody knew about it.

What I'm trying to say is that in every case the incidents were properly accounted for and reported; in fact, although the lady of 10th Downing Street and the Ministry of Defence weren't exactly happy about it, reports of the incidents and losses were shown in the evening news despite perhaps a possible negative effect for the British forces in the Falklands theatre of operations. As a matter of fact, the Argentinians learned about the sinking of HMS Sheffield thanks to the BBC broadcasts; up to that moment, they really never had any means to find out if the missile had struck Sheffield or not. And because of that, even though the Exocet that hit Sheffield never detonated on impact and knowing about the poor reliability of the AM-39 missile system, they feel encouraged to continue deploying it and scored a few more British vessels with it.

So don't ask yourselves why the so-called attack on HMS Invincible was never reported or covered up: ask yourselves why every single loss of a military vessel in the Falklands War by the British was reported and acknowledged in short time notice and you will find out why this Invincible-being-hit-and-then-covered-up theory has no rational basis whatsoever

Last edited by HELLFIRE; 06/06/07 04:43 AM.
#2228784 - 06/06/07 09:40 AM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: Vikingo]  
PNT Offline
PNT  Offline

Southampton, UK
Vikingo, as requested, the end of a Harrier FRS1 (it does happen occasionally)...courtesy of a Dagger pilot who'd just dropped his bomb load on HMS Arrow (bombarding Stanley airfield)...

...and then got tired of being fired at by this Harrier, whilst making his escape from the target area.

So, the Dagger pilot engaged the Harrier and got him with a Shafrir2 missile. Actually, from a mission author's perspective it was nice to see the AI handling all of this for itself. I just sat back and watched the show!

Afterwards the Dagger resumed his escape heading and made his way home to Rio Gallegos airbase.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few more screen shots of other aspects of the mission...

...Mirage CAP pairs takeoff right at the start of the mission...

More trouble for the Daggers..."He came out of the sun!"...

...after the tail disintergrated and the Dagger started to spin out of control the pilot popped the canopy and decided to get the hell out of there...

That's enough for now I think.

comrpnt

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
#2228788 - 06/06/07 09:57 AM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: PNT]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Thank's for the Dagger pics!! and thank's hellfire for the history, is interesting

-To the Graveyard!!

#2228983 - 06/06/07 03:11 PM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: PNT]  
BattlerBritain Offline
BattlerBritain  Offline

West of England, UK
Good point - did the Argentines have Shafrir 1's or 2's in '82?

I thought just 1's but am willing to be advised otherwise.

#2229132 - 06/06/07 06:51 PM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: BattlerBritain]  
MoonJumper Offline
MoonJumper  Offline

D-CHOC
Shafrir 2
the Shafrir 1 was even worse that the AIM-9B. Got only 3 kills in IDF/AF service.
Argentine used Shafrir 2 on the Dagger and Magic 1 and R-530R on the MIIIEA

#2229221 - 06/06/07 09:10 PM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: MoonJumper]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Tomorrow is my Birthday!! I will be 25, maybe I will get a present?? I hope yes, both countries are fighting the war while I was in the hospital breathing for first time.
A big S! for all the veterans and fallen!!

-To the Graveyard!!

#2229230 - 06/06/07 09:20 PM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: PNT]  
Vikingo Offline
Vikingo  Offline

Argentina
thanks for the nice pics PNT. hope the MOD will be released soon!

core2duo e6600
asrock 4coredual-vsta
EVGA 8800GT 512 MB
2 GB RAM DDR2
Sound Blaster Audigy
1 x 1 TB HD SATA
2 x 250GB HD IDE
#2229311 - 06/06/07 11:27 PM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: Kesselbrut]  
HELLFIRE Offline
HELLFIRE  Offline

Nice pics, PNT! Although I'm a huge fan of the SHAR, I'm also looking forward to fly some strike missions in Argie jets; the MIII is also a personal favourite of mine Argentine pilots were extremely brave and skilled, they got used to extremely low attack profiles to avoid missile and artillery defences and get very close to British ships. Although the AM-39 Exocet emerged as the deadliest weapon in Argentine inventory and earned worldwide reputation after the sinking of HMS Sheffield and other ships, most of the successful attacks against the Task Force were carried out by planes armed with conventional dumb bombs and guns. Old school, close and personal.

#2229373 - 06/07/07 01:39 AM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: HELLFIRE]  
Vikingo Offline
Vikingo  Offline

Argentina
good post Hellfire! regards

core2duo e6600
asrock 4coredual-vsta
EVGA 8800GT 512 MB
2 GB RAM DDR2
Sound Blaster Audigy
1 x 1 TB HD SATA
2 x 250GB HD IDE
#2229557 - 06/07/07 07:25 AM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: MoonJumper]  
BattlerBritain Offline
BattlerBritain  Offline

West of England, UK
Originally Posted By: MoonJumper
the Shafrir 1 was even worse that the AIM-9B. Got only 3 kills in IDF/AF service.

Tell me about it! When I use Shafrir 1's in '73 Yom Kippur scenarios it's about as much use as t!ts-on-a-Nun \:\)

#2233183 - 06/12/07 07:38 AM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: BattlerBritain]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Thursday is the 25th anniversay of the wars end. Still a possible release date?? It will really be a good recognition for the veterans and the fallen

Last edited by Stratos; 06/12/07 07:39 AM.

-To the Graveyard!!

#2233894 - 06/13/07 03:20 AM Re: Falklands - Project status [Re: Stratos]  
Kesselbrut Offline
Kesselbrut  Offline

Munich, Germany
@ Stratos

Sorry, no. There are only few things that aren't ready (2 Cockpits and the Campaign). I planned an release at May, 21th but the very nice weather here in Germany and the real life will move the release date to August/Sebtember......

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.