Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2216052 - 05/21/07 11:13 AM Aiming the grenade launcher?  
Dozer Offline
Dozer  Offline

Well it's nice to have a sight for it now, but I still can't aim the US grenade launcher for toffee. (Haven't used the DRNS grenade launcher yet.) The ladder-sight - I assume it's marked with different ranges - but I can't make out any numerals, running on low graphics. I found that to hit something on the level with me and about 75m away I had to put the top of the sight below the target, pointing at the ground midway between us. (Perhaps the round was bouncing off the ground but I didn't notice that happening at the time.) What's the correct way of using those sights?

Dozer
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2216064 - 05/21/07 11:28 AM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Dozer]  
Derk Offline
Derk  Offline

Hengelo, the Netherlands
I don't think it is of much help but who knows.
I used to carry around a H&K 69 40mm grenade launcher wich also had a ladder sight. (before budget cutbacks put me in peacetime ground defense permanently.) Now as i said, it probably won't be of much help since the weapon i talk about isn't modeled ingame but afaik they are quite similar in use.(other than not being hung from a rifle.)
When firing 50-100m you can aim-point it give or take a few milimetres. Beyond that the arc you describe while aiming rapidely increases with 50m for each step on the ladder. up to a total of 350m at an angle of about 45 degrees.

Hope it helps.

P.S. don't aim for anything less than 40-50m 'cause the medic will be picking schrapnel out of your forehead for the rest of the day. (wonder if that is modeled ingame too...)

Derk
I'm still an airman. I just happen to change diapers for a living!

crap...
#2216665 - 05/21/07 10:46 PM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Derk]  
joey45 Offline
joey45  Offline

London UK
correct me if im wrong, isn't the nade armed till 30 metres in flight for safty reasons.

DCS:World Sqd - 159th G.A.R
my pics - Tour
Team VRC - Texture artist
#2216723 - 05/22/07 12:25 AM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: joey45]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Hey Joey, Beastie fan? ;\)

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#2216878 - 05/22/07 05:47 AM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: joey45]  
Derk Offline
Derk  Offline

Hengelo, the Netherlands
Originally Posted By: joey45
correct me if im wrong, isn't the nade armed till 30 metres in flight for safty reasons.

I'm not sure. If so, the instructors forgot to mention that i guess lol. If so, that would probably help explain Dozer's bouncing round. It must have bounced off the ground but didn't necessarly have to be unarmed to do so.
Here, have a look, you tell me.

I hope someone can come up with a better awnser for Dozer though.

Derk

crap...
#2216960 - 05/22/07 10:05 AM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Derk]  
Dozer Offline
Dozer  Offline

Cheers Mr Monk, I hadn't seen that weapon before - the sight is much taller than the ArmA one though. Where did you use it?

Dozer
#2217039 - 05/22/07 01:22 PM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Dozer]  
Derk Offline
Derk  Offline

Hengelo, the Netherlands
Only on the shooting range luckely. During excercises it was strapped to my leg. There are no dummy grenades that actually fire. (cause that would make it a projectile and a possible hazzard to anyone on the receiving end.) As for any real action.. Luckely i came in weeks after eritrea and the budget cut pulled me out of standby right before afganistan. They could still send me anywhere they please though, that's what you get for signing up. Wouldn't make the wife very happy but hey.

Derk

crap...
#2217050 - 05/22/07 01:54 PM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Derk]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: Mr. Monk
There are no dummy grenades that actually fire. (cause that would make it a projectile and a possible hazzard to anyone on the receiving end.)

I was on an exercise once where we used 40mm training rounds which were filled with paint to mark the hits.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#2217125 - 05/22/07 03:56 PM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Vertigo1]  
Inkompetent Offline
Inkompetent  Offline

Skellhell, Sweden
Well, I find it fully impossible to hit with the iron sights for the grenade launchers as well. Why inlcude iron sights when you can't aim even remotely properly with them anyway?

#2217140 - 05/22/07 04:31 PM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Inkompetent]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
BTW, the only sight I used with the m203 was the sidemounted "quadrant" sight.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

#2217154 - 05/22/07 04:46 PM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Vertigo1]  
Derk Offline
Derk  Offline

Hengelo, the Netherlands
Quote:
I was on an exercise once where we used 40mm training rounds which were filled with paint to mark the hits.

That would certainly make carrying the thing around more useful. I know the Airforce hasn't got them, maybe army but they don't use the HK afaik. Still, even a paint-filled 40mm is not your friend when it decides to engage in physical contact with you, no matter where it hits! Did you actually fire them into infantrymen or at simulated targets? Maybe it is common to have them in the states but you must understand relative small airforce = relative small budget.
For Example: About 6 years ago the decsision was made to purchase the MILES laser system for training us defence force guys. So we were like "nice, cool, etc." as you might understand. Well, they got it, and they still have it... stored in some bunker because "it is too expensive to use in the field" can you imagine!
Well anyway, what i am trying to say is: if we don't get that, i guess we don't get 40mm paintball grenades. Sorry i rambled on, this is going way off-topic. Anyone has some pointers on how to aim the ARMA grenade launcher?

Derk

crap...
#2217162 - 05/22/07 04:57 PM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Derk]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Quote:
Still, even a paint-filled 40mm is not your friend when it decides to engage in physical contact with you, no matter where it hits! Did you actually fire them into infantrymen or at simulated targets?

simulated targets. Firing at opfor would have been a big safety violation! They were strictly controlled. It was essentially a controlled firing range in the field.

#2217255 - 05/22/07 07:16 PM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Vertigo1]  
Rider06 Offline
Rider06  Offline

Minneapolis, MN
Monk/Dozer...
I don't have any difinitive answer on the M203. I simply kept practicing at the range until I could "SWAG" pretty well based on the elevation tick marks on the ladder. I don't have a good "one-size-fits-all" rule of thumb, as the distances on the range aren't marked out. I would suggest practicing there and see what works for you.

#2217455 - 05/22/07 11:23 PM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Derk]  
Dozer Offline
Dozer  Offline

Quote:

That would certainly make carrying the thing around more useful. I know the Airforce hasn't got them, maybe army but they don't use the HK afaik. Still, even a paint-filled 40mm is not your friend when it decides to engage in physical contact with you, no matter where it hits! Did you actually fire them into infantrymen or at simulated targets? Maybe it is common to have them in the states but you must understand relative small airforce = relative small budget.
For Example: About 6 years ago the decsision was made to purchase the MILES laser system for training us defence force guys. So we were like "nice, cool, etc." as you might understand. Well, they got it, and they still have it... stored in some bunker because "it is too expensive to use in the field" can you imagine!
Well anyway, what i am trying to say is: if we don't get that, i guess we don't get 40mm paintball grenades. Sorry i rambled on, this is going way off-topic. Anyone has some pointers on how to aim the ARMA grenade launcher?

I don't know, Mr Monk - we're here because we like ArmA, and have some interest in modern warfare - I'm interested to hear what you're saying about serving in the Defence Force! (the Netherlands air force defence forces?)

Cheers for the advice, Rider et al, it's frustrating to have a sight which can only be used indirectly! I'll just go and practise then!

Dozer
#2217642 - 05/23/07 05:43 AM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Dozer]  
SpyDoc Offline
SpyDoc  Offline

Central USA
Does this part of the 1.07 beta file shed any light on the use of the GL?

Quote from readme:
"add in readme: Grenadelauncher ironsights can be now used for aiming on 150m distance, in case M4 it is 200m"

Does this mean that the tick marks are for 200 m each?

SpyDoc out cool

My new DigitalStormOnline system:
i5-2500K--8GB Ram--AMD Radeon 6950
Win7--MOMO--MS FFB2--TIR5--27.5" Hanns-G
#2218045 - 05/23/07 05:52 PM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: SpyDoc]  
Inkompetent Offline
Inkompetent  Offline

Skellhell, Sweden
Think it is that it is 150m +50m intervals, and 200m +50m intervals.

#2218135 - 05/23/07 07:37 PM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Dozer]  
Derk Offline
Derk  Offline

Hengelo, the Netherlands
Quote:
I don't know, Mr Monk - we're here because we like ArmA, and have some interest in modern warfare - I'm interested to hear what you're saying about serving in the Defence Force! (the Netherlands air force defence forces?)

Well, it's your topic after all.
It is not really called airforce defense force but that is what it comes down to. Oficially it is calles OGRV => Object-GRond Verdediging or object-ground defense. It was started in 1996 to give the airforce the ability to use it's own defensive and guard personell due to increased deployments.
A typical OGRV squadron consists of 3 platoons and a staff group. 1 Platoon is created by 3 assault groups (hey, wasn't this a defensive force?) and a support group (wich is in fact the 4th assault group, but with extra mobility and usually signed to the platoon leaders.)
One group consists of a group leader (sgt), a 2nd in command (sgt or lance corporal), a FN MAG gunner and 2nd (both corporals), a long range gunner (forgot the weapon type, sniper) with spotter (both corporals) and four riflemen with M16A1 rifles (corporal or soldier). Each member could have a secondary job being driver, NBC scout, explosive defuser (don't know the english word), Combat Life Saver, hauling around a HK69 ;\) or any combination of these. If necessary one could also carry an AT4 along. Each member is trained in each position within the group. Only the long range gunner and of course the group leader and his 2nd stand apart from this.
Today however you see more and more that indifidual groups are deployed for a range of security tasks with the most recent traveling with a C130 Hercules in afganistan providing on the spot security wherever it lands. Some of the guys have gotten doorgunner training in the U.K. some time ago and can be employed as such on our chinooks or puma's. Quite a versatile bunch of guys, capabel of performing most small group infantry tasks independently. In theory...

As for the arma sight, i haven't got a clue wether 150m and 200m would be maximum or minimum, could be both really. Seems that except for a nice picture and a story, i am little contributing to this one.

Derk

crap...
#2218349 - 05/23/07 11:56 PM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Derk]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
I found a video on youtube with some basic trainees using the same training rounds that we had for our training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2p0tFu-K6I&mode=related&search=

#2224426 - 05/31/07 02:23 AM Re: Aiming the grenade launcher? [Re: Vertigo1]  
Derk Offline
Derk  Offline

Hengelo, the Netherlands
Nice vid PV, I wouldn't mind giving that one a try.
I thought it was an arma thing but the kick of the launcher seems a lot less intense than what i'm used to on the 69. First time i tried to fire it shouldered (up to 100 meters) I lost and found my ear protection in pieces 5 meters behind me. Due to some bad ergonomics it is almost impossible to shoulder and aim the thing at the same time when using the fixed sight.

Derk

crap...

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.