Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2184164 - 04/14/07 05:29 PM Bugs  
surfcandy Offline
surfcandy  Offline

I like the game and concept presented in this mod but the game is not really playable.I have a very good 800 series ATi card and pent. 4 3.0 cpu.

Frames when there is alot of things going on jump like crazy(most campaigns}

Its not like its playable either its not fun.I played CF3 before and did the "tweaks thing" and some improvement was shown,but haven't here other than lowering resolution to 2 and 3 for setup.

Any solid ideas before I give this one up and switch to First Eagles?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2184231 - 04/14/07 07:36 PM Re: Bugs [Re: surfcandy]  
bzhyoyo Offline
bzhyoyo  Offline

Don't play with all settings on five in cfs3config.
And go read the FAQ at Polovski's site.

#2184235 - 04/14/07 07:39 PM Re: Bugs [Re: surfcandy]  
HotTom Offline
HotTom  Offline

Phoenix, AZ, USA
I'm no expert (yet) but I had the same problems. I really had to crank down the graphics settings. So, everything is set on 1 except (who cares what the trees look like?) the airplane, which is set on 5. It's a bit jerky in the quick missions (way too many objects to render in such a small area; they should get rid of most of them IMO)) but the campaigns are smoother.

I have a very high end rig: Athlon Dual Core 5000+ and an ATI 1950 card with all the settings maxed out. F4AF with everything set to the highest runs at about 85 FPS. CFS3 always has been considered a real memory hog both on CPU and Video card. This is just a legacy, I guess. Anyway, those are settings I can live with. The airplanes look great with the skins.

Also, make sure your game and your monitor are set on the same resolution. In some games, it doesn't matter. But it does in this one.

I tried First Eagles and tossed it off my hard drive after two days. The designers call it a "sim light" but Arcade is a much better term IMHO. I found it not very challenging at all. And the players are not real WWI history buffs.

This isn't perfect (what is?) but it's a lot closer than FE.

Try setting your game graphics at the low end and see how it operates. Then notch up one thing at a time. If your card is set really high, you may try reducing the settings. But, again, one thing at a time.

GL

TTT

Last edited by TTTiger; 04/14/07 07:46 PM.

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!
#2184363 - 04/15/07 12:20 AM Re: Bugs [Re: HotTom]  
Zundap Offline
Zundap  Offline

NY
I have an ATI 800 card as well, and OFF was just a slide show for me. Then I came across an "ATI specific" fix over at the out house and it cured it. Here is a "copy and paste" from that thread;

"This tweak may only work for those that are running ATI cards, but I've thoroughly tested it and I'm confident that it'll be useful for at least some people.

I had set up the CFS3 config overrides that I've seen suggested in both the OFF installation guide as well as some other tweak guides for CFS in general. Although I was getting decent fps at reasonably high detail settings, I also found that occasionally whilst flying over terrain, that my screen would freeze for just a split second or so. This was particularly evident whilst panning views externally or panning with TrackIR.

The setup guide calls for disabling Write-Only Index and Vertex Buffers, which I had done. I decided to experiment by taking that one step further and disabled Index and Vertex Buffers COMPLETEYas well as leaving the Write Only options disabled. (These settings can be found two notches up from the Write-Only settings). Lo and behold...my stutters/lock-ups are no longer an issue!! I think it may have also gained me a couple of FPS at the same time.

I did consider that disabling these features completely may somehow affect the image quality or detail levels I'm accustomed to. After fairly lengthy testing and evaluation, I can detect no noticable difference whatsoever.

It's worth a try for anyone who is experiencing similar symptoms....particularly if you own an ATI based product.

Hope it proves useful for at least some of my fellow enthusiasts.

Regards,

Parky"

#2184407 - 04/15/07 02:17 AM Re: Bugs [Re: Zundap]  
HotTom Offline
HotTom  Offline

Phoenix, AZ, USA
Zundap,

Wow!

That really smoothed out the whole game, especially TIR. As you said, only a slight FPS gain but it got rid of ALL the stutters. Awesome!

Many thanks!

TTT

Last edited by TTTiger; 04/15/07 02:39 AM.

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!
#2184943 - 04/16/07 01:24 AM Re: Bugs [Re: HotTom]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Slow FPS isn't "BUGS" so probably not a good way to start a thread. OFF runs very well indeed for many people. As you see tweaking and reading a little can produce rewards as you see.

Note slider set on 3 in OFF = slider on 5 in CFS !

For anyone with a dual core cpu there are patches out for MS too which can help some people.

Last edited by Polovski; 04/16/07 01:26 AM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#2187597 - 04/20/07 12:59 AM Re: Bugs [Re: Polovski]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Surf, it's not fair to say this sim is unplayable because YOU'RE having problems.
I've got all sliders on 5 except for terrian, which is on 4. It runs beautifully! Lots of planes in the air, crashes, explosions... the works. No problems.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.