Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2175638 - 04/03/07 01:58 PM Re: Which versions of aircraft will we see? [Re: Frankyboy]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: Frankyboy
WOW , but most propably not all as flyable ones ?!

I purposefully left that information out as only GT knows how this goes.

(if VikS wants to expand more on the details I'll leave that up to him to do so)

By any accounts, this is a very good 1917-18 aircraft list, which will allow further version expansion by type, and by crewing capability.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2175651 - 04/03/07 02:10 PM Re: Which versions of aircraft will we see? [Re: FlyRetired]  
Frankyboy Offline
Frankyboy  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlyRetired
By any accounts, this is a very good 1917-18 aircraft list, ...................

absolutly !!

JG53*Frankyboy
Flugzeugführer 8./JG53 "Pik As"
HQ_III./JG53
#2175968 - 04/03/07 08:53 PM Re: Which versions of aircraft will we see? [Re: Frankyboy]  
*Buzzsaw* Offline
*Buzzsaw*  Offline

Salute

The flyable aircraft I think will be dependent on what info is available on cockpits, and how exact GT is going to be.

I did quite a bit of research on aircraft of this era, I know there are problems with getting exact cockpit details on a lot of these aircraft.

The aircraft I know cockpit details are available through originals or historically accurate reconstructions in museums are the following from the list Fly submitted:

FRANCE

Nieuport 17/17bis/23
Nieuport 28
SPAD VII
SPAD XIII
Breguet 14

GERMANY

Albatros DVa (DIII cockpit would be much the same)
Fokker Dr.I
Fokker D.VII
Pfalz D.XII
Halberstadt CL.IV (CL II cockpit should be much the same)
Rumpler C.IV
AEG G.IV

GREAT BRITAIN

Sopwith Pup
Sopwith Triplane
Sopwith Camel
Sopwith Snipe
RAF S.E. 5a
Bristol F.2b
RAF F.E.2b
RAF R.E.8
Airco D.H.4 (only American liberty engined versions still exist as far as I know)
Airco D.H.9

There is also an original LVG CVI two seater German aircraft at Shuttleworth.

http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Ger/LVG_CVI/index.html

I am surprised GT is not considering modelling it. It was a common German two seater during 1917-18, also used by the Austrians.

Also there are several orignal Sopwith Strutters in museums. The Strutter was a common British and French two seater in 1917, equipping the majority of the French two seater escadrilles. Originally used by the British as a fighter in 1916, and also used by the Belgian Airforce 1917-18 and Imperial Russian Air Service and Soviets in 1916-1919. I'm surprised this aircraft is not also included in their list, considering it also used the Clerget 130hp engine which is being modelled for the Camel.

Here is one being rebuilt at Memorial Flight:

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/Strutteruk.html

And an originals in Paris, Belgium and at the RAF museum:

http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Bri/SopStrutter15/index.html

For a late war Uber British two seater, (did 140 mph) there is the DH-9a, shown at the RAF museum: (bottom of page)

http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Bri/DH9a/index.html

The 9a was a DH-9 with a Rolls Royce engine, the orginal DH-9 was underpowered and a horrible plane.

For Fighters, there is an Austrian Oeffag Albatros D III at Memorial Flight if they want to do a Italian Front expansion:

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/Albatrosuk.html

And an Austrian Phonix DIII at the Swedish museum:

http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/AH/Pho_DIII/index.html

An Italian Ansaldo A-1 at the Bergamo museum:

http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Ita/Ansaldo/index.html

This was designed as a fighter, but ended up being used as a fast single seater bomber.

Hanriot HD-1. Used by the majority of the Italian Fighter Squadrigila by late 1918. Also used by the Belgians, including their Ace of Aces, Willy Coeppens. Originals at the Musee de l'Aire in Belgium, and at the RAF museum in Hendon.

http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Fre/HD1/index.html

And an Italian heavy Caproni Ca-36 bomber at the USAF museum in Dayton. The Caproni was also used by the Americans in Italy, and the French in France as a heavy bomber. The Ca-36 is a late war aircraft, but very similar to the earlier models.

http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Ita/Caproni/index.html

Hopefully we will see all these sometime... ;\)

Cheers Buzzsaw

Last edited by *Buzzsaw*; 04/04/07 03:41 AM.
#2176261 - 04/04/07 04:54 AM Re: Which versions of aircraft will we see? [Re: *Buzzsaw*]  
heywooood Offline
99% real
heywooood  Offline
99% real

peoples republic of ocean beac...
Nieuport 28 as flyable?

Even if it is not in the first release, to have a chance to fly one in a sim as
polished as this one is sure to be will be a real sweet deal.

Am I the only one getting hot flashes just thinking about this sim?

Dr.I, SE5a, DVII, Camel etc.... I don't think I can take this waiting much longer.

"you know...in the whole, vast configuration of things you're nothing but a scurvy little spider...and that goes for you!...and that goes for you, too!!"
George Bailey
#2176265 - 04/04/07 05:06 AM Re: Which versions of aircraft will we see? [Re: =FB=VikS]  
heywooood Offline
99% real
heywooood  Offline
99% real

peoples republic of ocean beac...
Originally Posted By: =FB=VikS
Originally Posted By: *Buzzsaw*
Salute

Wondering which versions of various aircraft we will see?

Albatros DIII: 160, or 175 hp Mercedes version? Hopefully both, would require no change in the graphics model, it was just a compression increase in the Mercedes DIII engine which gave the upgraded horsepower.

planned to have D.IIIa (175)

Quote:

SE-5a: Wolsley Viper or a Hispano Suiza version?
Graphics model looks like Hispano, which could be either a 200 or 220 hp version. The Hispanos were produced in 1917, the Wolsley replaced it in 1918. According to test, the Hispano had a slightly better climb than the Wolsley, but it was slower, plus reliability was not as good. The 220 hp was used by a number of Squadrons, most notably No. 56. Graphics model would be different for Hispano and Wolsley Viper.

200hp Wolseley Viper

Quote:

Sopwith Camel: Seems like we will get the F1 version, wondering if the designers will include both the 130 hp Clerget, and the 145 hp Clerget which equipped this aircraft. Both could use the same graphics model, as the engine was the same externally with increased compression on the 145hp version.

130hp Clerget 9B

Quote:

Spad XIII: 200, 220 or 235 hp Hispano Suiza versions? All of these would have the same graphics model as far as I know.

220hp Hispano 8Bc/Be

Quote:

Fokker DVII: Some of the models shown seem to be Mercedes engined versions, this was 75% of the DVII's made, but wondering whether the less produced BMW engined version will also be made? The BMW had much better performance.

Mercedes D.IIIa

Quote:

Thanks for your patience

Buzzsaw

No problems:)

PS: all of the engines/AC versions are made for maximum unification (planned) for the release, cause of time aspect again. It easy to say - "just change em their parameters", but it can take time, which we have scheduled/planned for other things.
But if we will have any time gaps - we will try to make as many as possible variants, since its really didnt take too much of 3D models modification.

Oh my! It just gets better and better...

Last edited by heywooood; 04/04/07 05:07 AM.

"you know...in the whole, vast configuration of things you're nothing but a scurvy little spider...and that goes for you!...and that goes for you, too!!"
George Bailey
#2176357 - 04/04/07 10:52 AM Re: Which versions of aircraft will we see? [Re: heywooood]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: heywooood
Am I the only one getting hot flashes just thinking about this sim?

LOL Heywooood, don't feel like the Lone Ranger! \:D

Heck, some of us have been hanging on with life support!

#2176417 - 04/04/07 01:34 PM Re: Which versions of aircraft will we see? [Re: FlyRetired]  
WWSpinDry Offline
WWSpinDry  Offline

Upstate NY, USA
Heh. Yeah, anticipating this one. For all I'm a SPAD fan, I've long wondered what taking in a Brisfit might be like. Looks like I'll finally get that chance.

"The bulk of mankind is as well equipped for flying as thinking." — Jonathon Swift
#2176563 - 04/04/07 04:58 PM Re: Which versions of aircraft will we see? [Re: WWSpinDry]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

BeGeeshus!
(what the heck is this June Bug thingie)

Kill it!

#2181232 - 04/10/07 10:24 PM Re: Which versions of aircraft will we see? [Re: Lukasz]  
BBury Offline
BBury  Offline

Houston,Texas
What? No Eindecker? \:\) I'm guessing thay have plans for earlier expansion. Flyable bombers too....

Last edited by BBury; 04/10/07 10:25 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.